Axl Rose chastises Beastie Boys over Led Zepplin samples

I had never heard this and I'm a huge Guns AND Beastie Boys fan.

I think it's pretty fucking weak on Axl's part and seems a little narrow minded from a dude that thought N.W.A. was the second coming.

@2:56

Edited by parisrocks

I know the Beastie Boys used quite a bit of our stuff, really, didn’t they? I can tell you one thing, to go back to “Whole Lotta Love.” I’ve seen the riff of that song show up in mashups on YouTube, that riff got people to the point where they were inspired to do their own thing, that’s really cool. I’m not going to complain about that. But the Beastie Boys, that was almost as long ago as Led Zeppelin! - Jimmy Page

• Like 1

I think it's pretty fucking weak on Axl's part and seems a little narrow minded from a dude that thought N.W.A. was the second coming.

This is boring as shit, can you provide some exact quotes for us who doesn't want to listen to this crap?

• Like 1

This is boring as shit, can you provide some exact quotes for us who doesn't want to listen to this crap?

The Axl part is at 2:50

If he was that petty to give a fuck over this nearly a quarter of a century later (or if he had even heard Chinese Democracy), Ad-Rock might chastise Axl for that stolen sample in Riad and the Bedouins :takethat:

Of course, King Ad-Rock isn't the kind of guy to have the sulks over something so petty that happened all those years ago...that would be sad, very sad indeed ;)

Edited by DR DOOM

Beastie Boys suck ass but to sample or steal from Zep ain't a crime, since Zep stole pretty much on every singe album they made.

This only true for the first 4 albums

Few "stolen" riffs here and there on first two albums everything onwards was their own time to change vinyl already.

Edited by Dark Knight

Beastie Boys suck ass but to sample or steal from Zep ain't a crime, since Zep stole pretty much on every singe album they made.

This only true for the first 4 albums

Few "stolen" riffs here and there on first two albums everything onwards was their own time change vinyl already.

That's all it really was. Once they found their own sound on III they went on to rule the world. Then everyone else onwards stole from them.

Not sure how much of that will be going on in the future anyway after the Marvin Gaye estate vs Blurred Lines victory. I meant to start a thread on in AG last week, it potentially sets a worrying precedent if you think how many great songs have similarities to others. Not saying BL is a great song but we've had a few threads here about echoes of other artists in GNR songs yet I still consider them to be unique in their own right.

Zeppelin stole heavily on their first 4 albums with even the famous Stairway to Heaven intro being stolen.

Yet Taurus sucks, and Stairway is amazing.

It doesn't matter who sucks and who is amazing. The topic here is "blatant" ripoffs.

Zeppelin stole heavily on their first 4 albums with even the famous Stairway to Heaven intro being stolen.

Yet Taurus sucks, and Stairway is amazing.
It doesn't matter who sucks and who is amazing. The topic here is "blatant" ripoffs.
I was comparing the final results, not the bands. Funny how a so called rip off ends up being a songs worlds better than the other.