1999 album?

May didn't like the solo on the demo everyone loves. So he wasn't happy with it. So it was out of respect that it wasn't used.

I think if RTB had remained on the project Brian may have come back to do another solo.

May got his original solo mangled by pro tools!!

May didn't like the solo on the demo everyone loves. So he wasn't happy with it. So it was out of respect that it wasn't used.

I think if RTB had remained on the project Brian may have come back to do another solo.

Axl is a producer. Why wouldn't he utilize his knowledge to reach a goal, if he's looking for the right solo for Catcher? the result contains all the signature May phrasing, tone, and even note choices.

I'm guessing he gave Brian a shot to come up with something he liked. That's what he said to May on the phone. "Can you come play something I would like?"

So if they've failed to do it through more traditional methods, why not try something different? And it's bigger then just May. According to Bumble 90% of the solos on Chinese are copy/pasted. To what degree, we don't know.

But the point is that's how Axl works: the copy/pasting way is a tool he uses in the studio to create something very specific. It's like Trent Reznor in a way. Axl got a bigger role in the studio then just putting lyrics and melodies to riffs and ideas.

He puts all the pieces of the puzzle together and makes it all fit. Sometimes that means taking something someone else came up with, and drastically change it, using only the elements that are needed.

It's a collaboration. They do what Axl can't do, which is play lead guitar, but he has the ability to come up with solos in the studio with recorded guitar takes. That's a good thing imo, and even impressive.

Axl is lazy, but at least he learned how to use a computer and then enough to become a producer, and the guitar solos on Chinese are mostly great, so there's no problem really.

Edited by Rovim

But May showed dismay towards the cut n paste solo so he let Ron shred away. Seems fair to me. It's a GNR record, Axl's way or the dirt road.

In the end, even if Brian was just there to specifically give Axl what he wanted, he didn't like it and Axl ended up not using it. But I'm glad the solo and all of May's guitar work on Catcher exist.

I think a one off collaboration with Axl tunes featuring May on guitar would have been cool. He offered May the lead guitar player in Guns gig, but Brian turned it down cause he said he was too old for that shit.

Then fake Queen happened a few years later.

Edited by Rovim

It's just from what Axl and Brian said about it. No bad blood, no biggie for all involved its just a solo on an album not the next Asshole Rose debacle people want it to be. I don't think anyway. Maybe May is bitching about royalties in Bakkers wine cellar as we speak.

But May showed dismay towards the cut n paste solo so he let Ron shred away. Seems fair to me. It's a GNR record, Axl's way or the dirt road.

In the end, even if Brian was just there to specifically give Axl what he wanted, he didn't like it and Axl ended up not using it. But I'm glad the solo and all of May's guitar work on Catcher exist.

I think a one off collaboration with Axl tunes featuring May on guitar would have been cool. He offered May the lead guitar player in Guns gig, but Brian turned it down cause he said he was too old for that shit.

You can't make a record without Freddie. The Cosmos Sucks.

The solo records are great. Don't know why the Cosmos Rocks sucks so bad

I guess I can just see it: Axl, like Freddie, has the distinct voice and drama aspect and Axl is heavily influenced by Queen, and Brian is a good replacement in a Guns context, cause his style is close enough to Slash's, but with better technical ability and it's own elements.

An Axl Rose solo album/solo Guns with Brian could have worked I think.

I guess I can just see it: Axl, like Freddie, has the distinct voice and drama aspect and Axl is heavily influenced by Queen, and Brian is a good replacement in a Guns context, cause his style is close enough to Slash's, but with better technical ability and it's own elements.

Maybe Axl cut Brian's solo because he didn't agree with them making a record without Freddie.

Bucket isn't May? Similar hands, height and playing style...

But maybe May isnt aggressive enough to play some material.

Edited by wasted

Maybe Axl cut Brian's solo because he didn't agree with them making a record without Freddie.

May is definitely too soft to play in GNR. Even with a couple of guitarists with grittier styles to temper things, May is too stately for GNR.

May is definitely too soft to play in GNR. Even with a couple of guitarists with grittier styles to temper things, May is too stately for GNR.

Always thought Axl should have done 1 solo album that's basically Queen so maybe that's why it works in my head. I thought May's sound worked with Axl's voice on Catcher. I guess it's mainly ballads he's good for in an Axl context.

I wonder how Atlas the May version sounds like.

Always thought Axl should have done 1 solo album that's basically Queen so maybe that's why it works in my head. I thought May's sound worked with Axl's voice on Catcher. I guess it's mainly ballads he's good for in an Axl context.

I wonder how Atlas the May version sounds like.

For a guest spot I think he works, but not as a fixture of the band.

Axl is a producer. Why wouldn't he utilize his knowledge to reach a goal, if he's looking for the right solo for Catcher? the result contains all the signature May phrasing, tone, and even note choices.

I'm guessing he gave Brian a shot to come up with something he liked. That's what he said to May on the phone. "Can you come play something I would like?"

So if they've failed to do it through more traditional methods, why not try something different? And it's bigger then just May. According to Bumble 90% of the solos on Chinese are copy/pasted. To what degree, we don't know.

But the point is that's how Axl works: the copy/pasting way is a tool he uses in the studio to create something very specific. It's like Trent Reznor in a way. Axl got a bigger role in the studio then just putting lyrics and melodies to riffs and ideas.

He puts all the pieces of the puzzle together and makes it all fit. Sometimes that means taking something someone else came up with, and drastically change it, using only the elements that are needed.

It's a collaboration. They do what Axl can't do, which is play lead guitar, but he has the ability to come up with solos in the studio with recorded guitar takes. That's a good thing imo, and even impressive.

Axl is lazy, but at least he learned how to use a computer and then enough to become a producer, and the guitar solos on Chinese are mostly great, so there's no problem really.

Dude!!!

"So there's no problem really."

Your description of how this album was made is exactly why most people don't like it.

Every classic album in history is classic because magic was created by a group if musicians. Playing together. Laying down tracks in a studio. Writing and creating songs.

Axl, bucket, robin and the boys in a studio, jamming and hashing out ideas. THAT probably would have created an album that would have kicked the rock worlds ass.

But 10 different musicians emailing Axl bits and pieces of songs, and then him spending six years copy and pasting three second parts together..... How in the world can you turn that into a positive?

That might be a fun and creative hobby for Axl. But for the band GnR and Axl/GnR fans - it sucked.

I would much rather this current band spend a couple months together writing and creating 14 songs for an album to be released the SAME year the songs were created rather than all 8 guys emailing Axl song ideas and then him spending a decade trying to "create" a rock album on his computer system.

Rock is from the heart. Not from a computer.

Axl is a terrible producer, has no idea when to stop, has no ability to recognize when less is more, and tried to create songs he is not cappable to pull off. He's a hard rock singer, not Trent Reznor. He should be more humble in his approach.

Dude!!!

"So there's no problem really."

Your description of how this album was made is exactly why most people don't like it.

Every classic album in history is classic because magic was created by a group if musicians. Playing together. Laying down tracks in a studio. Writing and creating songs.

Axl, bucket, robin and the boys in a studio, jamming and hashing out ideas. THAT probably would have created an album that would have kicked the rock worlds ass.

But 10 different musicians emailing Axl bits and pieces of songs, and then him spending six years copy and pasting three second parts together..... How in the world can you turn that into a positive?

That might be a fun and creative hobby for Axl. But for the band GnR and Axl/GnR fans - it sucked.

I would much rather this current band spend a couple months together writing and creating 14 songs for an album to be released the SAME year the songs were created rather than all 8 guys emailing Axl song ideas and then him spending a decade trying to "create" a rock album on his computer system.

Rock is from the heart. Not from a computer.

But you like Chinese. Do you think it would have sounded the way it did if the process of making it was just the basic common standard in the industry? probably not.

The 1999 version of Chinese didn't contain shit like Bucket's There Was A Time outro for example.

May's Catcher solo is beautiful imo. Brian's ideas alone weren't enough to get Axl to like it, so that solo would not exist right now if it wasn't for the way Axl and his engineer shaped it and formed something that fits the song perfectly without it sounding unnatural at all.

Don't get me wrong: I do believe the ideal way to create an album is within a relatively short period of time, like 2 to 4 years.

But the process this album came to be dictated much of how it sounds and what songs are in it, production and even something so crucial for the album like how Robin's and Bucket's style mesh together would not have been possible if everything went smooth and Axl would have released Chinese just with Robin on it for example.

Edited by Rovim

May's guitar solo is super overrated in GNR folklore. That's true of the leaks in general, really.

It's not just that solo though. The years of delays made some of the best shit on Chinese possible like Bucket's lead work. He replaced Robin cause it took Axl too long and Robin left, and eventually the sound of Chinese was basically Robin and Bucket.

Edited by Rovim

Oh, the irony of GN'R fans complaining about 'fake Queen'!

At the end of the day, May is too nice to have made a big deal of it. But hiring May and replacing him with, initially a cut n' paste job, secondly Bumblefoot or another hack, seems likes a case of cutting your nose off to despite your face. You have hired one of the greatest guitarists of all time there; it seems dreadfully stupid to not use him.

Oh, the irony of GN'R fans complaining about 'fake Queen'!

At the end of the day, May is too nice to have made a big deal of it. But hiring May and replacing him with, initially a cut n' paste job, secondly Bumblefoot or another hack, seems likes a case of cutting your nose off to despite your face. You have hired one of the greatest guitarists of all time there; it seems dreadfully stupid to not use him.

No. You can't make Queen without Freddie and you can't make Guns without Axl.

May's guitar solo is super overrated in GNR folklore. That's true of the leaks in general, really.

It's not just that solo though. The years of delays made some of the best shit on Chinese possible like Bucket's lead work. He replaced Robin cause it took Axl too long and Robin left, and eventually the sound of Chinese was basically Robin and Bucket.

Yes. This is why it was good that it took as long as it did. That's what makes CD the masterpiece that it is- the collaborative evolutionary mesh between Axl and all the different players over the course of that timeframe.

May's guitar solo is super overrated in GNR folklore.

Only because it's the only guitar in the post breakup Axl's band era that remotely sounds classic. Nothing else that came after it had that feel.

I think I get what you're saying about the classic sound. That feel was there cause it's Brian May. That's why he is one of my favorites. That feel is in his fingers, his tone.

As for the solo itself: lyrical, melodic, and matches the vibe of the song and adds to it. The rest of the song contains more May guitar, and it sounds just as good imo.