Duff McKagan on Talk is Jericho (Chris)

I get where Duff is coming from

Why does everything have to be over analysed

Cause I like to do it and it's valid to talk about in this thread and you don't have to read it.

It wasn't aimed at you mate

Cause I like to do it and it's valid to talk about in this thread and you don't have to read it.

But it was still wrong to question imo. Why does everything needs to be simplified for example? it's a fan forum man and the duff/axl thing is interesting for some fans of the band.

Didn't mean to sound cuntish btw.

Edited by Rovim

But it was still wrong to question imo. Why does everything needs to be simplified for example? it's a fan forum man and the duff/axl thing is interesting for some fans of band.

My initial comment was just in response to the other guy saying in the past hed argued with Axl followers about wether Axl is punk rock or not...

That comment kinda just steers the thread back down the road of another argument imo

It's all good, I'm the last person who comes onto this board for an argument it fight, lol

I'm just here like you to listen and talk to people about the band (mainly the old band)

The punk rock comment in my opinion from duff fits in a way cause Axl was one of a kind and had that I don't give a fuvk attitude and early in his hair, attitude, clothes and demeanour was like that I reckon

Sorry if my initial comment got up your nose, wasn't meant like that

Ps, my spelling sucks, ivd had some friddee Arvo beers hehe

• Like 1

But it was still wrong to question imo. Why does everything needs to be simplified for example? it's a fan forum man and the duff/axl thing is interesting for some fans of band.

My initial comment was just in response to the other guy saying in the past hed argued with Axl followers about wether Axl is punk rock or not...

That comment kinda just steers the thread back down the road of another argument imo

It's all good, I'm the last person who comes onto this board for an argument it fight, lol

I'm just here like you to listen and talk to people about the band (mainly the old band)

The punk rock comment in my opinion from duff fits in a way cause Axl was one of a kind and had that I don't give a fuvk attitude and early in his hair, attitude, clothes and demeanour was like that I reckon

It's all good man I'm stoned as shit. I like to go in detail if say, someone questioned punk elements in a musician cause that kinda shit is just up my alley and people irl life don't want to fuckin' talk about shit like that.

I dunno, i don't know Jimmy Page and I'm not really sure what 'punk spirit' is meant to mean.

What does punk mean to you?

A genre of music from 1976 to 1979.

Depends what you call over analysing. Asking what something means is hardly over analysing, if in fact you were speaking about my post. If something is vague and half thought out or just the insubstantial appropriation of a term for the purposes of putting across a flimsy ideal then I'm apt to point that out.

cause Axl was one of a kind and had that I don't give a fuvk attitude and early in his hair, attitude, clothes and demeanour was like that I reckon

See this is precisely my problem with the idea.

It's all good man I'm stoned as shit. I like to go in detail if say, someone questioned punk elements in a musician cause that kinda shit is just up my alley and people irl life don't want to fuckin' talk about shit like that.

Haha I haven't been on this forum long... But I find it the best forum to talk and from what I can see there is a lot of very regular posters which is great for a guy like me who's looking to find out more and more stuff I didn't know!

I dunno, i don't know Jimmy Page and I'm not really sure what 'punk spirit' is meant to mean.

Depends what you call over analysing. Asking what something means is hardly over analysing, if in fact you were speaking about my post. If something is vague and half thought out or just the insubstantial appropriation of a term for the purposes of putting across a flimsy ideal then I'm apt to point that out.

He did make a fake british accent in his cover of Down On The Farm. That must count for something. It's So Easy isn't punk? It's a pistols rip off at least with some more elements added to make it Guns.

TSI was everything punk wasn't, but some elements of that genre of music is detected to my ears in Axl's voice.

Edited by Rovim

cause Axl was one of a kind and had that I don't give a fuvk attitude and early in his hair, attitude, clothes and demeanour was like that I reckon

All I'm saying man is that I get where duffs coming from, I'm not an expert on it...

But what duff says makes sense to me in terms of what my perception of "punk Rock" is/was...

Also as I said to rovim, if my initial post got up anyone's nose I apologise dude

I think it's a lazy bullshit reference for the purposes of assigning some sort of imagined credibility to Axl in regards to this idea that people have about punk that it's to do with clothes or a 'fuck you' attitude or some other kind of tired lame stock character ideal. Punk was a genre of music in the late 70s made by a bunch of guys who picked up instruments and created their own music and their own culture with a view to self actualisation and putting their stamp on their times. It's not an interchangeable thing that can be transplanted from here to there and then over there, it's case specific and it is not just a by-word for telling people to go fuck themselves.

All I'm saying man is that I get where duffs coming from, I'm not an expert on it...
But what duff says makes sense to me in terms of what my perception of "punk Rock" is/was...
Also as I said to rovim, if my initial post got up anyone's nose I apologise dude

Nah, nothings up my nose man, just having a discussion :) Maybe I'm wrong and getting up my nose is the first step to a discussion where by the end of it I discover that i was wrong, it's cool.

Edited by Len B'stard

I think it's a lazy bullshit reference for the purposes of assigning some sort of imagined credibility to Axl in regards to this idea that people have about punk that it's to do with clothes or a 'fuck you' attitude or some other kind of tired lame stock character ideal. Punk was a genre of music in the late 70s made by a bunch of guys who picked up instruments and created their own music and their own culture with a view to self actualisation and putting their stamp on their times. It's not an interchangeable thing that can be transplanted from here to there and then over there, it's case specific and it is not just a by-word for telling people to go fuck themselves.

Nah, nothings up my nose man, just having a discussion :) Maybe I'm wrong and getting up my nose is the first step to a discussion where by the end of it I discover that i was wrong, it's cool.

Honest question, is there an actual definition for punk Rock?

If there is then I'd like to see it, and if there is and guys like Duff have the wrong concept of it and where Axl may or may not have fitted into it in relation to that definition then it's definitely interesting...

It's also interesting that we have different perceptions of what it is which makes it hard to define in the eyes of people even if there is a specific definition of it...

Why Axl is punk rock? Odd, considering i spent a large amount of my time here arguing with Axl-ite metallers who assert that punk was a load of overrated bollocks :lol:

Axl is an individual. That's what punk means to me. To do what you want. So it's more punk to do Nov Rain when your in a hard rock band than to be Green Day.

Honest question, is there an actual definition for punk Rock?

If there is then I'd like to see it, and if there is and guys like Duff have the wrong concept of it and where Axl may or may not have fitted into it in relation to that definition then it's definitely interesting...

It's also interesting that we have different perceptions of what it is which makes it hard to define in the eyes of people even if there is a specific definition of it...

I don't think there is. People call it 'the spirit of invention'...isn't that kinda what making any kind of art is about anyway? Rugged individualism? isn't that what rock n roll was about anyway? It's value, as far as my thinking takes me, is in the fact that it's an example of the people of a culture proving that they can radically alter a culture by acting upon instinct and indignance.

This idea that people have that it's about leather jackets and telling people to go fuck themselves is ridiculous. They had that particular attitude because at that time in history in those specific cultures (which were cultures in quite a state at the time, political upheaval etc) that was the response that was required. To sit here in 2015 and think it's all about behaving the exact same way a bunch of people did to their totally different situation in 1977 is just lazy and ridiculous and cartooney and sort of the mirror opposite of what those lot were doing. They were so against hippies cuz those ideas were part of the established order that came before them, it's not about looking up to Grandad, it's about doing your thing for your times and being bold, brave and brazen about your ideals, it's not meant to be this old anaorak thats passed from generation to generation like 'OK son, you're 13 now, it's about time you started putting your middle finger up to pensioners and wiping your snot on your sleeve'.

'Look at that bunch of people over there being individuals! Lets dress like them!'

:lol:

I think you're missing the point Len. Punk, or Punk Rock is just a genre that came from the blues. It had it's own scene with the clothes and attitude and shit.

But Guns did have some of that punk sound in their music and in their attitude. Doesn't mean it was as pronounced as some pure punk bands, but AFD did have elements of punk.

It also had elements of blues, and metal and pop. It was a melting pot that contained some punk elements imo.

• Like 1

For sure. It's Aerosmith meets Ramones. There's definite Ramones from Izzy. You can hear it on his solo stuff. Early versions of Anything Goes. And Hanoi Rocks is punk rock via The Dolls. It's So Easy is a punk anthem. Watch Tommys lip get agitated when he plays it.

Also in that interview Axl sees spaghetti incident songs as being a source of the energy that GNR music has. I still hear that on Street of Dreams.

Axl is an individual, he decides for himself and stands by what he believes in. Right or wrong. That's what Duff was saying, he can't lie. Whereas most of us hardly know what we think or believe.

Edited by wasted

I think you're missing the point Len. Punk, or Punk Rock is just a genre that came from the blues. It had it's own scene with the clothes and attitude and shit.

But Guns did have some of that punk sound in their music and in their attitude. Doesn't mean it was as pronounced as some pure punk bands, but AFD did have elements of punk.

It also had elements of blues, and metal and pop. It was a melting pot that contained some punk elements imo.

AFD is a strange animal in, it has everything you said. Elements of classic rock, elements of metal, elements of punk, all slammed together. The important thing is, no matter what you want to call it, it all feels natural. Whether it's Sweet Child O Mine or My Michelle or Out Ta Get Me, it all feels genuine.

Punk became a circus didnt it? Everybody got it wrong. The message was supposed to be: Dont follow us, do what you want!

John Lydon

To me that's what Axl does, maybe a little too much. Was it the right thing to do Nov Rain or make CD? Probably not on paper. That's kind of punk rock?
  • Like 1

Punk rock's roots were a "back to basics" approach that had roots in garage rock, which GNR also had with AFD. To me the punk element in GNR is Duff's bass being up front on the songs and maybe some of Axl's delivery, and the scaling down of Adler's kit because they were trying NOT to sound like every other Sunset Strip band (yet Sorum comes in with a full kit...). Slash could take it in all sorts of directions as a player but he brought the riffs into the mix. It might not have worked as a 6 piece with keyboard player at the time, as much as Axl supposedly wanted one in the band and wrote some of the songs on piano.

TSI was the "what are your influences" album. Influences change though.

• Like 1