Death Penalty for Boston Bomber

BangoSkank

Kind of interesting tracing the history of the family. Their grandparents were forcibly removed from Chechnya along with thousands of other Chechen during the 1940's because they feared they feared they would collaborate with the Germans, even though about 40,000 of them served in The Red Army. They remained in Kyrgyzstan until his family moved to Russia then to the US. I guess the family had trouble adapting though the father tried very hard. I guess the older brother was drawn to his roots and went to Dagastan. He allegedly got into contact with some known militants and planned on moving his wife and child over there. His wife sounds like one of those "I am eighteen and I know everything" and thought it would be a great idea to experience a new culture and language. The younger brother was struggling and I guess he saw another way out.

In short, this whole thing is fucked up.

I think that in clear cut cases like this the death penalty is fine.

Locking him up just costs the taxpayer money, prisons are overcrowded and there's no rehabilitation for someone like this...fuck him.

More money will probably be spent on appeals, though, as Georgy pointed out.

Locking him up just costs the taxpayer money, prisons are overcrowded and there's no rehabilitation for someone like this...fuck him.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Appeals are much more expensive than a life sentence. Lawyer and courtroom fees. It actually saves tax payer money if they just lock him up and throw away the key.

Supposedly clear cut cases are exactly where our moral fiber is put to the test.

We fail.

it's easy to have moral fiber when you're not affected by the tragedy

• Like 2

Appeals are much more expensive than a life sentence. Lawyer and courtroom fees. It actually saves tax payer money if they just lock him up and throw away the key.

A bullet is much cheaper.

Supposedly clear cut cases are exactly where our moral fiber is put to the test.

We fail.

it's easy to have moral fiber when you're not affected by the tragedy

That's exactly my point.

All this "clear cut" shit is bollocks. There is a single criteria for conviction and that is "beyond reasonable doubt". You're either guilty or you're not. According to the law there's no such thing as "we're 100% certain about this one so its okay to kill them but this one is only 90% so let him just spend the rest of his life in jail". The magnitude of the punishment is based on the magnitude of the crime and not the % certainty that you did it. If there isn't sufficient conviction then there should be no conviction in the first place.

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 2

In general, a life sentence w/o parole is cheaper than the death penalty, as unimaginable as that may sound.

There are also benefits to keeping him alive and psychologically evaluating him to see if we can learn anything about terrorists, potential terrorists, sociopaths, etc. The death penalty is just man's blood lust and desire for revenge coming out in governmental form.

• Like 2

In general, a life sentence w/o parole is cheaper than the death penalty, as unimaginable as that may sound.

There are also benefits to keeping him alive and psychologically evaluating him to see if we can learn anything about terrorists, potential terrorists, sociopaths, etc. The death penalty is just man's blood lust and desire for revenge coming out in governmental form.

Honestly, I don't think this kid knows anything. Though I agree he should be studied, I mean why would he just throw his life away? Did he think he was going to flunk out so becoming a terrorist is like a better option?