Scott Weiland, Gilby Clarke, Dave Kushner & Josh Freese perform "Vasoline"

STPFAN

A weird Velvet Revolver/Guns N' Roses hybrid.

Watch Scott Weiland Perform “Vasoline” With Velvet Revolver & Jane’s Addiction Members

Scott Weiland (ex-Stone Temple Pilots/Velvet Revolver singer), Dave Kushner (Velvet Revolver guitarist), Gilby Clarke (ex-Guns N’ Roses guitarist), Chris Chaney (Jane’s Addiction bassist), and Josh Freese (ex-Nine Inch Nails/a million other bands drummer) performed Stone Temple Pilots’ “Vasoline,” Cheap Trick’s “Surrender,” and David Bowie’s “Jean Genie” at Petco Park in San Diego, CA last week as a part of Royal Machines’ set for Cisco Live customer appreciation. Royal Machines were opening for Aerosmith.

Dave Kushner discussed Velvet Revolver’s one off 2012 reunion show with Scott Weiland in a May 2014 Alternative Nation interview, and Weiland then claiming in the press that the band were set for a reunion album and tour.

“It was such a weird time dude, I just really don’t know. Me and a couple of friends of mine put that whole benefit together, my wife was really sick at the time and I don’t really remember a lot of the band part of it. I was just trying to deal with my best friend dying and all that kind of stuff, and getting all those people and trying to secure talent. I mean we didn’t really have anyone helping us. It was just me, the drummer from Alanis Morissette’s band, Matt Wallace the producer, and my buddy John Fister, trying to put together a big event, and going to these bands directly. It was a cool event. The vibe with the band was still tenuous, there was no: ‘Alright! This is great, this feels great, like I’m putting on an old pair of whatever.’ It definitely wasn’t that vibe. Then obviously there was a ton of talk and speculation about what was going to happen. We just kind of, no one really talked that much any more.

I have no idea where or why out of nowhere Scott said that to someone in some press thing. Honestly, it just really came out of nowhere. Maybe someone had been saying to him: ‘Maybe you guys can do a record now!’ Or someone had given him that information, that maybe that potentially was going to happen? I think I was talking to someone in management saying: ‘Maybe we can write some songs or whatever, and see how this goes.’ I think that that little bit of information, by the time he heard it, it was like a game of telephone.

What was funny was reading Slash’s denial of the whole thing was like wow (laughs), very adamant. When I asked him about it, he said it was because he was touring for his solo record, and he didn’t see it in the press. He was at some morning radio show at like 6 or 7 in the morning, whenever you do those morning talk shows, and got asked by a couple of DJ’s about the whole thing. That’s where his reaction came from, like: ‘What? I don’t know, he’s crazy, I don’t even know what the fuck he’s talking about.’ It was like not enough coffee, early morning, kind of blindsided by this whole thing. That’s partly why his reaction sounded as harsh as it did. But yeah, it just never went anywhere.”

Never been a fan of Scott but he sounds well there, Josh Freese is one hell of a drummer ... Can't think of anyone who's out there ATM who's better

Freese is amazing. There's a reason everyone in the biz wants to work with him. Some of the best sounding drums I've ever heard.