Let's cover a classic GNR song!

I'm drunk. But this seems like a good idea, so let's roll with it.

Let's cover a GNR song! And then we can release it on soundcloud or something. Let's make it our official theme song. It's not like we're ever getting anything new from Axl anyway.

1. Let's pick a classic GNR song.
2. We'll decide who records what part.
3. Send me the raw WAVs and I'll mix and master it into a professional-sounding track (I do audio engineering semi-professionally).

What do you all think?!

Song:

Pretty Tied Up

Musicians running list (updated Aug 2):

Warebel: vocals, keys
ZoSoRose: guitar
Ana1991: guitar

ZepSun: guitar, bass guitar

Tom2112: guitar

Underhardy: vocals

dangerouscurves: vocals

Niceguy: engineering and production

sixes: criticism

Overall Process:

DRUMS! We need drums, first of all. If no one can record drums, then either myself or warebel will program the drums.

Once drums are done, I'll post the drum track on a communal download site (either Google Drive or Dropbox).

Then we'll move forward from there.

Overall, I'm not going to do the whole "this person does this little part, that person does this other part, etc". If you said you're going to do guitars, for example, then record the entire song (lead, rhythm, or both) and send it all to me. I'm going to mix this such that EVERYONE who submits will have their performance on the final product.

Tech specs:

I need everything totally, completely dry. No reverb, no compression, nothing. WAV and AIFF are fine. No mp3's. AND NO CLIPPING! If you submit anything with clipping, I will not use it. If you're in doubt, then leave more headroom than less, just in case.

UPDATE Aug 12:

Since no YouTube drummers replied to me, I just took an open-source pre-recorded backing track for the drums and bass.

Go to Google Drive and login:

Login: mygnrcovers@gmail.com

Password: whereisizzy?

The rhythm track is titled "Drums.Bass"

LET'S GET STARTED! As soon as you've recorded your parts, upload the wav's onto this communal Google Drive account and post back here!

Edited by niceguy
  • Like 2

Let's do it! I'm sober now, and it still seems like a good idea.

Ok, let's pick the song. It's gotta be guitar heavy.

The piano version of RQ posted above is freaking AMAZING, but I don't think that's the proper collaborative song we need. That being said, I hope user warebel releases a full version! I'd keep that on my iPhone for sure.

What song shall we cover?

• Like 1

The whole forum should just record this part

Once there was this rock 'n' roll band rolling on the streets,
Time went by and it became a joke,
We just needed more and more fulfilling, uh huh,
Time went by and it all went up in smoke,
(But check it out)

• Like 3

The whole forum should just record this part

Once there was this rock 'n' roll band rolling on the streets,

Time went by and it became a joke,

We just needed more and more fulfilling, uh huh,

Time went by and it all went up in smoke,

(But check it out)

Ok-- I actually REALLY love this idea of covering this song!

I mean the entire song, not just that verse. But during that verse, I'll mix it such that we'll have as many of us as possible doing a "gang style" vocal performance. It'll sound like a room full of MYGNR posters drunk and shouting out those lyrics. It would sound really cool.

But I don't want to have that damn honky tonk piano in there.

What do the potential guitarists and vocalists think?

No problem at all, I think that the song has to be very heavy but the piano can be added in the background or some piano solo just like in Estranged for example would fit well I guess.

I am going to write what do I have here for those who know a little bit more about studio equipment, will add some pictures later too:

- Apogee Symphony 8x8 +8mp Audio interface

- Audio Technica AT-4060 condenser mic

- Universal Audio Apollo QUAD, Apollo Twin DUO + UAD-2 OCTO Satellite Thunderbolt with plugins worth $10.000+

- AKAI MPK88 keyboard

Also have the full version of EASTWEST SOUNDS ONLINE samples with DRUMS, GUITARS, FULL SYMPHONIC HOLLYWOOD ORCHESTRA (almost every composer use this for creating hollywood movie soundtracks these days)

So I can record almost every kind of instrument for you guys on keys, vocals throung very good mic and the best audio interface available + have all UA plugins to make any kind of vocal chain or make any kind of effects.

I think it's a great idea so I can have some fun with you guys creating some nice cover of GNR :) It's so easy would be very easy for the start I think, but I personally think that we should make a cover that will sound some kind of different than the original one, because none of us will beat Axl or Slash LOL anyway :)

I'm drunk. But this seems like a good idea, so let's roll with it.

Let's cover a GNR song! And then we can release it on soundcloud or something. Let's make it our official theme song. It's not like we're ever getting anything new from Axl anyway.

1. Let's pick a classic GNR song.

2. We'll decide who records what part.

3. Send me the raw WAVs and I'll mix and master it into a professional-sounding track (I do audio engineering semi-professionally).

What do you all think?!

Musicians running list:

Warebel: vocals

Niceguy: engineering and production. Bass if needed (though I'd rather not)

ZoSoRose: guitar

Ana1991: guitar

I'm in for lead guitar... possibly vocals.

Ok great-- we've got the beginnings of a great start here!

Let's have as many people participate as possible. But first, we really need to pick the song.

I really think Pretty Tied Up works perfectly, given the current state of the band and what Axl has done. Maybe even Axl himself will get a chuckle out of it. It's also a simple song and very guitar heavy, which works because there are so many guitarists on this board. It's a lesser known song from the bands heyday, which is another cool point.

Something like Estranged would be fun, but it's way too involved and overblown. I can tell you I myself would beg off the project if it became too much of a hassle. In fact, I'm late for a studio session right now.

So are we good, everyone? Pretty Tied Up?

• Like 1

Pretty Tied up is a good choice, a little weird cause usually people prefer to cover Sweet Child as their first covers, but I'd say go for Pretty tied up, nothing wrong in trying.

I hear you, but a super obvious cover like SCOM, WTTJ, NR, etc is just too obvious, you know? We here are the diehards. Let's dig out the deep cuts!

Pretty Tied up is a good choice, a little weird cause usually people prefer to cover Sweet Child as their first covers, but I'd say go for Pretty tied up, nothing wrong in trying.

I hear you, but a super obvious cover like SCOM, WTTJ, NR, etc is just too obvious, you know? We here are the diehards. Let's dig out the deep cuts!

Thats true, after Pretty Tied up you can try 14 years too, even that is a good underrated song.

Pretty Tied Up is good...kinda depends how many people are in. If we picked Coma you can get some female voices in there, multiple guitarists on different parts and so on. Just a thought. Like, a song with many sections seems to lend itself to this.

I have been interested in working on 'unfinished' songs.

I was thinking we could do things like Sentimental Movie, Crash Diet, there are also a couple they were jamming in rehearsals... would be interesting to develop those.

i also write music on my own, and if other people are interested in starting an online writing and recording circle - I'm totally down with that. Been wanting to do it for a while.

Edited by zepsun