Shackler's Revenge and Oh My God are actually good songs

Dr. Who

^^ And the raging boners are out in full force for Buckethead.

Gimme Ron any day of the week.

Ron didn't improve upon May's original solo and made a horrific mess of the solo section of the song.

I disagree, I think Ron's solo is better than Mays.

Edited by Towelie

I actually didn't think I'd miss Slash until I heard CD. I just hate the guitars. Nobody was more annoyed and depressed by that than me. No old band bitterness, I just prefer the old GNR soundscapes, I think the songs themselves have the makings of great things.

Edited by Intercourse

I actually didn't think I'd miss Slash until I heard CD. I just hate the guitars. Nobody was more annoyed and depressed by that than me. No old band bitterness, I just prefer the old GNR soundscapes, I think the songs themselves have the makings of great things.

What is it about the guitars you hate on CD? Too shreddy?

Edited by Towelie

What is it about the guitars you hate on CD? Too shreddy?

Its more than that for me. Slash's guitar work always seemed to me at least to talk back to Axl's vocals in GNR songs. His guitar lines are sung along to by fans as much as the vocals. His multi-tracking and layering is always exquisitely thought out and delivered. In those big epics Slash brought a cinematic quality to the songs that I cannot hear in CD. His odd-ball major minor run ups really change the sound of songs in an unexpected and exciting way.

CD sounds as it was made, by a bunch of talented strangers all competing for Axl's attention in too many guitar tracks. For me the whole thing sags and starts to sound like a dirge. Some of the solos I like..Shacklers, CITR are two I can think of, I like a bit of shred when shred is called for.

BUT I just do not get the swooning for the solo on TWAT, its a bunch of string bends and not a whole lot more...Slash would have brought a roller-coaster ride of great run ups and twists and turns that I just do not hear on CD. He would have talked back to Axl's vocal...there is no such connection between the guitar work and Axl in CD. Its understandable, the band were not really a band but a bunch of contractors building something, they had never toured or played live so they had never bedded in together to learn how to work as a musical unit. Its nobody's fault, but it is what it is.

I find myself trying to aurally try to ignore certain guitar tracks to just hear what the fuck is really going on in the song...trying to find its soul underneath the expensive layers of showing off. I found that too frustrating and exhausting so I've quit on CD.

If BBF and Buckethead were cars, they'd be tricked out 2015 Nissans in from some Japanese Car Lab but I don't want that. Give me a '68 jet black Dodge Charger any day, no gimmicks, no high-tech knobs, buttons and sounds, just a beautiful honest to God muscle car ...to me Slash is that equivalent.

• Like 2

It's not fair to lump Bucket and Ron together- both are incredible players but Bucket's not in Rob's league in the songwriting stakes.

Correction.

Buckethead can create cool riffs, improvise for days and makes some cool sounds, but I wouldn't call him a songwriter.

Ron can do everything BH can do from a technical standpoint but can also write proper songs with proper structures with melody lines and harmonies, not just looped backing tracks and wanking.

It's not fair to lump Bucket and Ron together- both are incredible players but Bucket's not in Rob's league in the songwriting stakes.

Correction.

Buckethead can create cool riffs, improvise for days and makes some cool sounds, but I wouldn't call him a songwriter.

Ron can do everything BH can do from a technical standpoint but can also write proper songs with proper structures with melody lines and harmonies, not just looped backing tracks and wanking.

I guess if you like generic nu metal like Limp Bizkit or Art Of Anarchy, Ron's stuff might be your thing.

Bucket (who does churn out his fair share of drone) is IMO way more cerebral than Thal.

Ron Thal is not a good songwriter. His albums are mediocre. Not surprised even a now average musician like Axl ignored his material and kicked the guy out of the band. Ashba can write better songs than Ron. Buckethead has at least 50 great songs under his name.

• Like 1

Ron Thal is not a good songwriter. His albums are mediocre. Not surprised even a now average musician like Axl ignored his material and kicked the guy out of the band. Ashba can write better songs than Ron. Buckethead has at least 50 great songs under his name.

Couldn't disagree more. The fact that you would rate DJ Ashba's compositions over songs like Turn Around, Piranha, Abnormal, Wasted Away and Argentina says about you than it does about Ron.

Couldn't disagree more. The fact that you would rate DJ Ashba's compositions over songs like Turn Around, Piranha, Abnormal, Wasted Away and Argentina says about you than it does about Ron.

Look, fanboy... so what if I consider Sixx AM songs better than the shit you mentioned? What exactly does it say about me? Besides that I simply have a different taste than yours...

I listen to so many great artists, from every style and decade, I feel I reached a point where I can judge music and musicians. And Ron is a mediocre songwriter. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings. His fills on Chinese D made the record much WORSE than it already was. His solos on CD are a collection of random notes, crappy effects and stupid noise. His solo songs are boring, his voice is annoying, the production is awful. Sorry if I'm making you cry by now. You like his songs? Great. You love him so much you want to put his pic as your signature? Awesome. But I think you're taking things too personal in this thread.

Ron is awful. Bucket is great. Ashba is pathetic and yet a better songwriter than Ron, being 100x worse at playing a guitar. Lol at Ronnie.

• Like 1

Ron's music is awful. Incredibly boring stuff sans a song or two that are alright. That said, his knowledge of guitars is admirable. Unfortunately, most rock bands do not need guitar geeks.

On-topic: Shackler's Revenge is utter shit, probably the worst Chinese Democracy song. Oh My God is decent. I remember enjoying it a lot when it came out.

That's bullshit and you know it :lol:

Just for fun, here's a video containing all of B's solos on ChiDem:

Edited by Gackt
  • Like 1

Look, fanboy... so what if I consider Sixx AM songs better than the shit you mentioned? What exactly does it say about me? Besides that I simply have a different taste than yours...

I listen to so many great artists, from every style and decade, I feel I reached a point where I can judge music and musicians. And Ron is a mediocre songwriter. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings. His fills on Chinese D made the record much WORSE than it already was. His solos on CD are a collection of random notes, crappy effects and stupid noise. His solo songs are boring, his voice is annoying, the production is awful. Sorry if I'm making you cry by now. You like his songs? Great. You love him so much you want to put his pic as your signature? Awesome. But I think you're taking things too personal in this thread.

Ron is awful. Bucket is great. Ashba is pathetic and yet a better songwriter than Ron, being 100x worse at playing a guitar. Lol at Ronnie.

Fanboy? Ummm, aren't we on a GNR fan message board? Or is this another example of you being too-cool-for-school?

Your opinion of Ron's music is completely irrelevant to me, so don't flatter yourself about hurt feelings on my part. As for me taking things too personal... what gives you that impression? The fact that I'm defending an album I love and a musician I enjoy? You're entitled to think Chinese Democracy is a turd and that Ron is a shit songwriter all you like, but don't go crying if other people don't agree with you on a fucking Guns N Roses message board of all places.

And there is no justification for defending Sixx:AM.

That's bullshit and you know it :lol:

Just for fun, here's a video containing all of B's solos on ChiDem:

Is there a video where there are only Buckets solo from CD but with background music also?

Correction.

I guess if you like generic nu metal like Limp Bizkit or Art Of Anarchy, Ron's stuff might be your thing.

Bucket (who does churn out his fair share of drone) is IMO way more cerebral than Thal.

Some would say Chinese Democracy is nu-metal. Describing Ron's music as generic nu-metal really just exposes how little of his music you have listened to.