Shackler's Revenge and Oh My God are actually good songs

Dr. Who

Both of these songs feature an anthemic, catchy feel to them, an experimental edge, a real display of Axl trying to do something different rather than play it safe. Oh My God features some of Axl's best lyrics and has an awesome solo and rhythm parts; while Shackler's features Axl's best vocals on Chinese Democracy and while not as great lyrically as OMG, features Axl where he's most at home: Singing an aggressive, angry rock song.

Anyone else agree?

• Like 1

I love the concept behind Shackler's, but the final product suffers, mostly from Bumblefoot replacing all of Bucket's work.

I agree with this, but it's not quite enough to damage the overall song. The song (and Axl) are wild enough on it that I think it still stands out.

That being said, I'd still kill to hear it with one less layer of production and Buckethead's work on it.

Anyway, both are awesome tracks that really showcase what Axl was trying to do. "Better" is another good example.

You all suck. Ron's guitar work on Shacklers is one of the best things about it. All the crazy fretless sliding and weird noises - probably the hardest guitar solo to replicate note for notes in all of modern rock. And Ron's tapping at the end is brilliant. I don't believe BH's guitar parts would've been half as good as what Ron came up with. And I'm sure Axl must've agreed otherwise he would've kept Bucket's parts on the track.

Im still confused between what was Bucket's and Ron's part in Shacklers, can anyone point which solo's or what parts belonged to whom?

Bucket does the main riff, rhythm parts (I think) and the whammy chorus. Ron does the guitar solo and the tapping/bending on the final chorus. He even tabbed out the tapping part for me once. Such a cool guy.

Edited by Towelie

Im still confused between what was Bucket's and Ron's part in Shacklers, can anyone point which solo's or what parts belonged to whom?

Bucket does the main riff, rhythm parts (I think) and the whammy chorus. Ron does the guitar solo and the tapping/bending on the final chorus. He even tabbed out the tapping part for me once. Such a cool guy.

Love Bumble's tapping outro and rhythm parts. It was an improvement and he just made it more interesting and with more energy.

And I'm just going to say it: Bumble's main guitar solo fits the mood of the song, and there is a structure there. It's not very melodic, but there's an idea there. At first I thought it sucked, but now I appreciate what he did there. It's an interesting solo for sure. Very choatic.

He did a similar solo for Riad. Crazy note choices and odd time signatures and insteads of elephants like in Shacker's, you get like a weird bee sounds to end the solo. He pulls off those crazy sounds really well.

Still don't think he was a good fit for new Guns. Musically, Bucket just had more in common with Axl it seems.

Love Bumble's tapping outro and rhythm parts. It was an improvement and he just made it more interesting and with more energy.

And I'm just going to say it: Bumble's main guitar solo fits the mood of the song, and there is a structure there. It's not very melodic, but there's an idea there. At first I thought it sucked, but now I appreciate what he did there. It's an interesting solo for sure. Very choatic.

He did a similar solo for Riad. Crazy note choices and odd time signatures and insteads of elephants like in Shacker's, you get like a weird bee sounds to end the solo. He pulls off those crazy sounds really well.

Still don't think he was a good fit for new Guns. Musically, Bucket just had more in common with Axl it seems.

You do know it's Bucket playing the final solo on Riad don't you? Ron takes the first solo.

This is part of why I fucking love that album. Ron Thal and Buckethead trading solos on the same song, with Axl Rose on vocals. Don't get better than that.

You do know it's Bucket playing the final solo on Riad don't you? Ron takes the first solo.

This is part of why I fucking love that album. Ron Thal and Buckethead trading solos on the same song, with Axl Rose on vocals. Don't get better than that.

Of course. The robot solo which I love is clearly Bucket. I meant the first one, the main solo.

Of course. The robot solo which I love is clearly Bucket. I meant the first one, the main solo.

Yeah, if you're familiar with Bucket/Ron's solo stuff, it's pretty obvious to tell them apart on the album.

Will have to take another listen to see what you mean about "weird bee sounds." lol

Yeah, if you're familiar with Bucket/Ron's solo stuff, it's pretty obvious to tell them apart on the album.

Will have to take another listen to see what you mean about "weird bee sounds." lol

It's very easy to spot imo. Just the final notes he playes when the solo reaches it's conclusion. And it's not really bees, it's just a weird way to end a solo with those sounds, but it sounds cool to me.

Edited by Rovim

The outro solo in Shacklers is bucket right?

while Shackler's features Axl's best vocals on Chinese Democracy

wtf? :lol:

OMG is an awesome song, Shackler's is the 2nd worst song on CD (after Scraped). The vocals are good but that doesn't elevate the whole song. It's good live, though.

I would put Riad on the 2nd place

The main solos on Shacklers and Rhiad are the worst solos on the record. No feel, no structure and awful note choices. Shoulda kept Buckets solos, im sure they were light years better.

Thats true, the thing with bucket is that his solo's are melodic and they go with the song, they really make the song better. I don't hate Ron, but his stuff is too scribbly if you get what I mean.

Nope. That's Ron.

Nope. That's Ron.

The one starts after 3:15