Rate Chinese

10s just depends how you rate albums. Best album of the 00s for me. Pushing 9-10. Historically speaking not yet. It might get cult appeal of Smile/Exile or something. After the hits there's the masterpiece kind of thing. Exile isn't perfect, it's pretty subjective though.

Shackler's is a great rocker and I love the solo, you can't have a feel blues solo on it, wouldn't work. The song is like the new YCBM for me. Cool verses with big chorus.

Scraped is one of my favorites, definitely my most played CD song. Lyrics and vocals kind of like AFD era but some Fat of the Land vibe.

Riad is a simpler song and highlights Axl's vocals. It's a welcome break after all the epics ending side 1. A more direct aggressive song is great. Interesting early reviews I read picked this song out as a highlight and throw back to what Axl was famous for.

Sorry is very cool, delicate song with fighting talk from Axl. We've all seen this weird angry side to Axl. A great power ballad. In a way a shame about the lyrics being so connected to Slash. I can see why people don't relate but it's a great track. Couldve been a single with different lyrics.

My one peeve with CD is the Riad intro. Not the intro itself bit it's placing just makes me tear out my ears waiting. After scraped it should just bust into Riad. But i guess sonically it blends the two. Those three songs are where the different productions don't blend so well.

• Like 1

I think the diversity kills it. For example Sorry is one of my favourites on the album. For others it's a terrible song.

I never listen to ITW but others really like it.

A few songs only make consensus, like Better or TWAT and even the latest is sometimes criticized.

Then there's the name issue. I bet people won't give it a fair spin on that basis alone.

I would respect your opinion, Nico, if you gave it say, 7-8/10. Even 9 would suffice, accepting a certain bias. But 10 must surely be reserved for your Appetites, Exiles, Peppers and Blonde on Blondes.

I gave it a 9, so we're all good ;-)

Totally agree with your point, though I understand that for some it's their favorite album. Which is very different than being the greatest album of all times.

Thanks for the discussion though!

10s just depends how you rate albums. Best album of the 00s for me. Pushing 9-10. Historically speaking not yet. It might get cult appeal of Smile/Exile or something. After the hits there's the masterpiece kind of thing. Exile isn't perfect, it's pretty subjective though.

Shackler's is a great rocker and I love the solo, you can't have a feel blues solo on it, wouldn't work. The song is like the new YCBM for me. Cool verses with big chorus.

Scraped is one of my favorites, definitely my most played CD song. Lyrics and vocals kind of like AFD era but some Fat of the Land vibe.

Riad is a simpler song and highlights Axl's vocals. It's a welcome break after all the epics ending side 1. A more direct aggressive song is great. Interesting early reviews I read picked this song out as a highlight and throw back to what Axl was famous for.

Sorry is very cool, delicate song with fighting talk from Axl. We've all seen this weird angry side to Axl. A great power ballad. In a way a shame about the lyrics being so connected to Slash. I can see why people don't relate but it's a great track. Couldve been a single with different lyrics.

My one peeve with CD is the Riad intro. Not the intro itself bit it's placing just makes me tear out my ears waiting. After scraped it should just bust into Riad. But i guess sonically it blends the two. Those three songs are where the different productions don't blend so well.

I really have a hard time finding flaw in the record. Maybe put IRS on the upper half of the album and move This I Love somewhere around the bottom half of the 1st side. I think Madagascar would've worked as the closer too. Hard to top Prostitute's spot though.

I don't get why some think synths and rock can't mix. Some of the best rock bands ever (Zeppelin, Yes, for example) have used synths.

Those bands knew how to use them. Axl is a rock singer surrounded by hacks. They are terrible at using electronic elements. Hilariously terrible.

I actually liked Shackler's Revenge, especially Ron's solo. I feel a lot of the hate comes from mob mentality and Ron's own comment about his guitar making an "elephant noise". Scraped and Riad are my least favorite songs, but I just didn't like the intros.

I would rate AFD the same as CD. Great album but I can't listen to songs like Out Ta Get Me, Anything Goes and the Lies version of You're Crazy is so much better.

But 10 must surely be reserved for your Appetites, Exiles, Peppers and Blonde on Blondes.

I would give a ten for all those except for Appetite.

• Like 1

I don't get why some think synths and rock can't mix. Some of the best rock bands ever (Zeppelin, Yes, for example) have used synths.

Those bands knew how to use them. Axl is a rock singer surrounded by hacks. They are terrible at using electronic elements. Hilariously terrible.

Yeah but people slag off the addition of synths on some UYI tracks, too. I'm not just talking about CD.

I actually liked Shackler's Revenge, especially Ron's solo. I feel a lot of the hate comes from mob mentality and Ron's own comment about his guitar making an "elephant noise". Scraped and Riad are my least favorite songs, but I just didn't like the intros.

I would rate AFD the same as CD. Great album but I can't listen to songs like Out Ta Get Me, Anything Goes and the Lies version of You're Crazy is so much better.

But 10 must surely be reserved for your Appetites, Exiles, Peppers and Blonde on Blondes.

Wait, wasn't that elephant sound made by Bucket?

Nope. That was Ron.

Nope. That was Ron.

Im talking about the intro of Shacklers.

Yeah but people slag off the addition of synths on some UYI tracks, too. I'm not just talking about CD.

Is there synth on uyi? Besides my world of course...

I really have a hard time finding flaw in the record. Maybe put IRS on the upper half of the album and move This I Love somewhere around the bottom half of the 1st side. I think Madagascar would've worked as the closer too. Hard to top Prostitute's spot though.
One thing for me is that as I know some of the back story and when certain songs were done I feel like I'm jumping around in time. But that happens on UYI too with YCBM coming on last side of II. That ellipitical theme in the Dont Cry video comes to mind.

I feel like This I Love followed by Madagascar really sets up the rest of the material. This is more the journey version of the album. IRS and Catcher have a just begun feel.

But each side of 7 tracks works well from opening big (Chi dem, Scraped), keeping energy up (shacklers/riad), dropping the single (Better, Sorry), doing a old skool song (SoD, IRS), then doing something progressive (ITW, Madagascar), then going epic (Twat, Catcher/This I Love, Prostitute)

The first 7 tracks of CD are one record and it's more UYI. But I think Shacklers and ITW should be switched riad and IRs to really sync the material.

Second half of CD is like UYI, not as focused but more progressive. But like UYI they switched things around.

Each side of vinyl opens and closes well on CD. So I wonder if this was a consideration.

The first record, first 7 tracks is as good as anything GNR ever put out imo. I find the second 7 more interesting but it's not as smooth, there's turbulance around reunion island but Prostitute is a smooth landing.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

One thing for me is that as I know some of the back story and when certain songs were done I feel like I'm jumping around in time. But that happens on UYI too with YCBM coming on last side of II. That ellipitical theme in the Dont Cry video comes to mind.

I feel like This I Love followed by Madagascar really sets up the rest of the material. This is more the journey version of the album. IRS and Catcher have a just begun feel.

But each side of 7 tracks works well from opening big (Chi dem, Scraped), keeping energy up (shacklers/riad), dropping the single (Better, Sorry), doing a old skool song (SoD, IRS), then doing something progressive (ITW, Madagascar), then going epic (Twat, Catcher/This I Love, Prostitute)

The first 7 tracks of CD are one record and it's more UYI. But I think Shacklers and ITW should be switched riad and IRs to really sync the material.

Second half of CD is like UYI, not as focused but more progressive. But like UYI they switched things around.

Each side of vinyl opens and closes well on CD. So I wonder if this was a consideration.

The first record, first 7 tracks is as good as anything GNR ever put out imo. I find the second 7 more interesting but it's not as smooth, there's turbulance around reunion island but Prostitute is a smooth landing.

Yeah, I agree. Like I said its hard to find any flaw in the album and that's just an objective attempt to do so. I actually think the tracklist is unassailable. Its one of the last records that told a story. I was just playing devil's advocate.

Edited by Mr. Dude