Rate Chinese

I actually like the production on Madagascar on the album better than the either of the leaks. On the leaks, the verse sounded vivid and moderately loud, but when the chorus came, the orchestra magically disappeared. It should sound louder. Would be fine if we could actually hear Bucket and Fincks rhythm at a decent volume, but nope, Finck's was audible somewhat, but it still sounded thin. Bucket was barely audible at all. On the album, they slightly amped up FInck and Robin in the mix, but also added two BBF tracks to either channel (or double tracked one track to either), which filled the void. But the ending lead guitar parts are buried. all in all, i think the wall of sound thing works here for the most part.

Only thing I wish they would change is a bit louder orchestra (mainly strings) to the level that they are in the last quarter of the 2nd chorus/ the ending chorus (the orchestra for TWAT is too quiet IMO as well as the rhythm power chord guitars in the solo, too quiet/BBF to high in the mix)

TL;DR:

Leak: Verse loud and vivid > chorus quiet and thin > Verse vivid > Quiet and thin chorus

Album: Verse moderately vivid > loud chorus etc

Edit: The Rock Band (video game) multi track is almost perfect. Loud Finck & audible Bucket & loud strings, but some lead guitar parts (the ones not in the main guitar track for the game) are buried slightly more than either leaks or album.

The best scenario is definitely some new material and a tour with slash, duff, izzy, steven and matt joining as "guests".

Join who? :lol:

Seriously. Axl has no band left. No Ron. No #Ashba. Probably no Tommy. Who the fuck are they joining? Axl, Pitman, Dizzy and the Drummer du jour? That's pathetic.

And even IF Axl would still have a band, it would be blown away by the "guest spots" of the only legitimate Guns n' Roses who are also the only band people actually want to see.

The only things that can happen that I'd still care for are:

1. A reunion tour. AFD lineup. I'd even prefer ditching Dizzy Reed, but I suppose that's not really an option. Having Steven and Matt both is acceptable. Possibly make an album after that, but really if they don't it's ok too. I'm fine with closing the book on GnR with a reunion tour and everybody going their own way afterwards.

2. The release of the 1998-2008 Chinese Leftovers 7-cd 3-dvd box set. Close the whole CD period permanently with how CD and it's 2 followups SHOULD have turned out and don't include anything that has Ashba on it. The only acceptable packaging for this product would be:

chinese_take_out_carton.gif

Steven wouldn't work for a reunion tour. A reunion concert with Steven? Yes. A full tour would just see him relapsing and wrecking havoc on the band.

9/10 Absolutely phenomenal record that never got its justice

How did it never get its justice?

The album is out there. It's available on every single streaming and digital platform in the world.

Maybe.. just MAYBE... very few people like this album.

I was just going to post that.

Sometimes people confuse the meanings of what they personally love or hate and tie it to albums being overrated or underrated. Which is never the case. Albums are what they are - a certain amount of will like or dislike.

I personally think CD is a classic. As good as either Illusions.

But the majority of rock fans disagree with me.

And that's OK.

Doesn't mean the album didn't receive a fair shake.

Lack of promotion by the band and Axl.

True. Axl didn't do the interview and talk show route.

But you are implying, by your post, that people didn't know about it. That just doesn't hold water.

CD was the most anticipated album of all time. CD was a pop reference punch line. That in itself shows you just how many people out there KNEW about it.

The label did more promotion for CD than 99.9% of albums receive. I saw tv commercials. And ads in magazines and newspapers.

The DR Pepper promotion.

CD had a song on one of the biggest summer blockbusters of the year. CD had a song on the most popular video game of the year.

They streamed the album on MySpace and broke records with something like 20 million listens.

To claim that lack of promotion doomed the album. Holy crap. CD probably received more promotion than any album released in the 2000-2010 decade.

Anybody that would buy a GnR album KNEW about the release of CD.

No Axl Rose fan - one who would spend 15 bucks to buy a GnR cd - woke up in 2011 and went "what???? GnR released Chinese Democracy three years ago??? I had no idea."

The album wouldn't have sold a million more copies if Axl had went on David Letterman.

GnR fans chose to buy or not.

Casual rock fans steal, I mean download for free, songs and albums by bands they are just casual fans of.

The casual fan wouldn't have chosen to buy it rather than download it if they saw Axl perform Sorry on the Jimmy Kimmel show. If they liked it - they downloaded it.

It became cool for smartarses to diss CD around time of release and before with the jokes about how long it took...and "Where's Slash". I bet even a few smartarses listened to it and liked it although they won't admit it because they don't want to appear uncool. They still buy Nickleback albums though.

Mods, can you pin WK's post in the Dumbest Post of the Year section? Edited by Apollo
  • Like 1

The best scenario is definitely some new material and a tour with slash, duff, izzy, steven and matt joining as "guests".

Join who? :lol:

Seriously. Axl has no band left. No Ron. No #Ashba. Probably no Tommy. Who the fuck are they joining? Axl, Pitman, Dizzy and the Drummer du jour? That's pathetic.

And even IF Axl would still have a band, it would be blown away by the "guest spots" of the only legitimate Guns n' Roses who are also the only band people actually want to see.

The only things that can happen that I'd still care for are:

1. A reunion tour. AFD lineup. I'd even prefer ditching Dizzy Reed, but I suppose that's not really an option. Having Steven and Matt both is acceptable. Possibly make an album after that, but really if they don't it's ok too. I'm fine with closing the book on GnR with a reunion tour and everybody going their own way afterwards.

2. The release of the 1998-2008 Chinese Leftovers 7-cd 3-dvd box set. Close the whole CD period permanently with how CD and it's 2 followups SHOULD have turned out and don't include anything that has Ashba on it. The only acceptable packaging for this product would be:

chinese_take_out_carton.gif

remember Axl said those things about slash, I don't think he's gonna eat his words, he never did

"There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty,"

"Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after Lies. In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided" - and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

“Give me a fucking break. What's clear is that one of the two of us will die before a reunion and however sad, ugly or unfortunate anyone views it, it is how it is.

“Those decisions were made a long time ago and reiterated year after year by one man.”

Lack of promotion by the band and Axl.

True. Axl didn't do the interview and talk show route.

But you are implying, by your post, that people didn't know about it. That just doesn't hold water.

CD was the most anticipated album of all time. CD was a pop reference punch line. That in itself shows you just how many people out there KNEW about it.

The label did more promotion for CD than 99.9% of albums receive. I saw tv commercials. And ads in magazines and newspapers.

The DR Pepper promotion.

CD had a song on one of the biggest summer blockbusters of the year. CD had a song on the most popular video game of the year.

They streamed the album on MySpace and broke records with something like 20 million listens.

To claim that lack of promotion doomed the album. Holy crap. CD probably received more promotion than any album released in the 2000-2010 decade.

Anybody that would buy a GnR album KNEW about the release of CD.

No Axl Rose fan - one who would spend 15 bucks to buy a GnR cd - woke up in 2011 and went "what???? GnR released Chinese Democracy three years ago??? I had no idea."

The album wouldn't have sold a million more copies if Axl had went on David Letterman.

GnR fans chose to buy or not.

Casual rock fans steal, I mean download for free, songs and albums by bands they are just casual fans of.

In response to your "But you are implying, by your post, that people didn't know about it. That just doesn't hold water." question, NO. I wasn't implying that. If you'd have bothered to quote me entirely I also spoke about the reviews and the whole "Chinese Democracy" joke about it never getting released and having cost a gazillion dollars to produce.

In regards to had Axl done any promotion would it have sold better? A million more copies perhaps not, but it would have sold more. Especially given Guns weren't out promoting it on tour and Axl could have gone on any show and promote it. To me it makes zero sense he would refuse to do any promotion for the release of his album, yet for a Vegas residency he'll go on Kimmel's show... WTF.

• Like 1

Steven wouldn't work for a reunion tour. A reunion concert with Steven? Yes. A full tour would just see him relapsing and wrecking havoc on the band.

How would you know?

With the amount of $$$ on the line, Steven would have a "life coach" and minders 24/7.

Also, considering a reunion would be his dream come true, he'd more than likely be in a good head space and actively working to make it work.

You're no more reliable than Adler, and that guy made something of himself...if I had your track record I'd just keep it to myself.

How would you know?

With the amount of $$$ on the line, Steven would have a "life coach" and minders 24/7.

Also, considering a reunion would be his dream come true, he'd more than likely be in a good head space and actively working to make it work.

You're no more reliable than Adler, and that guy made something of himself...if I had your track record I'd just keep it to myself.

nah

he was a junkie all of his adult life

a junkie never change

Slash was a junkie too, bu he quit when he was matured enough

a reunion tour with Steven would led to another break up and fail

so if anybody wants a proper reunion tour, leave Steven out of the equation... a one off concert? sure, that would be cool

a full blown tour?

nah

Just call Matt again for the UYi nostalgia factor, AFD is not enough for a full tour, imho

Edited by Strange Broue

The album is out there. It's available on every single streaming and digital platform in the world.

Maybe.. just MAYBE... very few people like this album.

I was just going to post that.

Sometimes people confuse the meanings of what they personally love or hate and tie it to albums being overrated or underrated. Which is never the case. Albums are what they are - a certain amount of will like or dislike.

I personally think CD is a classic. As good as either Illusions.

But the majority of rock fans disagree with me.

And that's OK.

Doesn't mean the album didn't receive a fair shake.

I think the biggest misconception some people have is that CD wouldn't be a popular album. It actually is. Not as popular as AFD obviously. But it's more popular than The Spaghetti Incident and about as popular as GNR Lies. Now I have no idea about album sales, but record sales don't really correlate with popularity these days the same way it used to anyway. The thing that tells you the most about popularity is, how much people actually listen to the songs on music streaming services. And Chinese Democracy songs are pretty popular for example on Spotify. CD is more popular than for example most albums by Madonna, including MDNA that was released only a couple of years ago. We're talking about the queen of pop here. One of the most popular artists on this planet. And anyone can check out the facts for themselves. CD is a moderately popular album. There's no two ways about it.

CD is not popular even in Brazil, where most of AXL LINDO Defense Force resides. CD was well promoted and the label did everything they could to sell it, Axl and the music itself were negative factors. Axl didn't promote it and the music is just mediocre, forgettable. There was monumental promotion, anyone who claims otherwise is just making shit up to justify this mediocre era for Axl Rose.

CD is not popular even in Brazil, where most of AXL LINDO Defense Force resides. CD was well promoted and the label did everything they could to sell it, Axl and the music itself were negative factors. Axl didn't promote it and the music is just mediocre, forgettable. There was monumental promotion, anyone who claims otherwise is just making shit up to justify this mediocre era for Axl Rose.

Um, yeah.... I have to call bullshit on CD being popular.

This is not a matter of opinion. Just get yourself a Spotify and check for yourself. I'm sorry, but you can't argue with the facts. Well you can of course, but that makes you look kinda stupid. :shrugs:

• Like 1

Those aren't facts. You need a refresher on what a fact is.

Something becomes popular because it's listened to more than new Madonna? Whoa!

GNR not in top 100 on Spotify = Fact

GNR is popular because it's being listened to more than Madonna = not fact.

Edited by Rustycage

I think that, even with big promotion (2-3 videos and more singles), there's no way CD could have been as popular as, for example, Foo Fighters.

I love CD, and most of my friends got into it because of me. But it took more than 4 years before we could start playing songs on parties and stuff.

My point is, CD isn't an album made for the standard listener. It does take some time to get into the whole thing, getting used to BH's shredding, Bumblefoot's fretless solos, Axl's non raspy voice and the infinite layers.

Still, not being made for the standard listener doesn't mean the album is shit. Imo, it didn't sell as much as some could expect, not because it is a mediocre album as some people keep repeating over and over, but because it really doesn't sound at all like conventional rock, and even less as a GN'R album.

Those aren't facts. You need a refresher on what a fact is.

Something becomes popular because it's listened to more than new Madonna? Whoa!

GNR not in top 100 on Spotify = Fact

GNR is popular because it's being listened to more than Madonna = not fact.

So you don't think Madonna is popular? Interesting opinion. Well sure, if being in top 100 on Spotify is the definition of being popular in your opinion, then GNR has never released a popular album. I respect your opinion. The word popular has a broad meaning.

That's why I originally said that CD is a moderately popular album, just so we wouldn't need to have these weird discussions about how popular a record must be to be considered popular.

It's more popular than most Madonna records, so it's at least moderately popular.

• Like 1

Madonna WAS popular. This isn't the 80's and 90's anymore.

The word popular has a broad meaning because it is a broad world. When you minimize the criteria to make something appear popular, it isn't exactly helpful to your cause is it?

WTF is "moderately popular?"

CD probably has more listens than MC Hammer. Does that mean that because MC Hammer was once popular that it matters?