Rate Chinese

9/10 Absolutely phenomenal record that never got its justice

How did it never get its justice?

Lack of promotion by the band and Axl.

True. Axl didn't do the interview and talk show route.

But you are implying, by your post, that people didn't know about it. That just doesn't hold water.

CD was the most anticipated album of all time. CD was a pop reference punch line. That in itself shows you just how many people out there KNEW about it.

The label did more promotion for CD than 99.9% of albums receive. I saw tv commercials. And ads in magazines and newspapers.

The DR Pepper promotion.

CD had a song on one of the biggest summer blockbusters of the year. CD had a song on the most popular video game of the year.

They streamed the album on MySpace and broke records with something like 20 million listens.

To claim that lack of promotion doomed the album. Holy crap. CD probably received more promotion than any album released in the 2000-2010 decade.

Anybody that would buy a GnR album KNEW about the release of CD.

No Axl Rose fan - one who would spend 15 bucks to buy a GnR cd - woke up in 2011 and went "what???? GnR released Chinese Democracy three years ago??? I had no idea."

The album wouldn't have sold a million more copies if Axl had went on David Letterman.

GnR fans chose to buy or not.

Casual rock fans steal, I mean download for free, songs and albums by bands they are just casual fans of.

In response to your "But you are implying, by your post, that people didn't know about it. That just doesn't hold water." question, NO. I wasn't implying that. If you'd have bothered to quote me entirely I also spoke about the reviews and the whole "Chinese Democracy" joke about it never getting released and having cost a gazillion dollars to produce.

In regards to had Axl done any promotion would it have sold better? A million more copies perhaps not, but it would have sold more. Especially given Guns weren't out promoting it on tour and Axl could have gone on any show and promote it. To me it makes zero sense he would refuse to do any promotion for the release of his album, yet for a Vegas residency he'll go on Kimmel's show... WTF.

I think just after the release Axl was fighting with Azzof who had tried to orchestrate reunion tour and had dropped the ball on promo and booklet. So anything Axl had to say may have hurt the release more. When he did show up he said Slash was like a cancer and asked why Billboard were so down on GNR. He also the label told them not to do a video. Remember they found Dj and booked that tour of Asia in 2009 without management.

Also U2 did a weeks residency on Letterman and No Line sold about the same as CD out of the gate. The 360 tour really pushed the sales of that album.

No one is lining up to hear nugnr play CD. No one cared to buy it and it ended up in dollar stores. It wasn't very popular on itunes. But sure, let's use Spotify as the gauge to declare CD to be popular. What a stupid fucking argument.

You don't know why they line up.

Yes he does. You do too. I know as well. Two of us are not lying to ourselves. One is. It's you.

Sure, we know that people who line up to see GNR, line up because they want to hear GNR songs. What we don't know is, how important the CD songs are for each individual. Some are disappointed if they don't hear new songs, some couldn't care less about them. Obviously the hit songs like WTTJ are the most important ones and majority of people would be disappointed if they didn't play them.That much we know. But we don't know the exact number of people who care about CD songs. We know that some want to hear new songs and some don't care about them, but none of us know the exact numbers. Feel free to claim that you know what every individual is thinking, but that makes you look pretty childish.

I know I've said this before, but anybody rating this 8-10 have to either be lying to us, themselves, or both. Of course I believe music is subjective and some people may like this album more than others for whatever reason. But I firmly believe any rational person that claims this album is Axl Rose at his best have got to be kidding themselves.

Does giving it a rating of 8-10 mean people think it represents "Axl Rose at his best"? Really, an eight signifies absolute theoretical perfection? :huh: You really have a big problem accepting the fact that people like music you don't like, even to the extent of thinking CD is a 8 to 10 record :D

• Like 1

9/10 Absolutely phenomenal record that never got its justice

How did it never get its justice?

The album is out there. It's available on every single streaming and digital platform in the world.

Maybe.. just MAYBE... very few people like this album.

I think a case could be made for it not getting its justice. Not because it wasn't promoted enough, the hype alone gave it more chances than more or less any other record and it was reviewed by more or less every magazine that counts. But because peple were to eager to dismiss the artistic value of the record due to its history and the context surrounding its making and lack of classic band members. I think it is possible, in fact probable, that the appreciatio of the music, overall, suffered from this.

Great album, but it's hard to grasp that what we have isn't even the 100% final product :-S

What do you mean? Apart from the booklet, the album is just the way Axl wanted it to be. Well, at least according to Axl himself.

Yes, I meant the booklet ;-)

Has Axl said that it's how he wanted it to be? I can't remember. There are people theorizing that the label forced his hand etc.

with all the talk i just listened to it in full again....the problem with the album is Axl over did it....overproduced is right....he spent to much time tinkering around with stuff and got himself in a hole with how long he took and would have needed to put out a album that bested Appetite to live up to expectations

he probably should have released the album back in 2000 or when ever the fuck and let it rock good or bad and built apon that

i still feel comfortable with my rating but have been debating myself on upping it to a 7 my 6 is a high one regardless...i was kinda vibing out until scraped (more like scrapped which this song have been) came on and totally killed the mood...my god this song is grating from the very second it comes on...should atleast be at the end so i could ignore its existence like My World lol

Edited by -HollywoodRose-

Great album, but it's hard to grasp that what we have isn't even the 100% final product :-S

What do you mean? Apart from the booklet, the album is just the way Axl wanted it to be. Well, at least according to Axl himself.

Has Axl said that it's how he wanted it to be? I can't remember. There are people theorizing that the label forced his hand etc.

Yes he has said that it's the right record. Here's the quote:

Ultimately, Rose said, the Chinese Democracy that was released was the album he hoped for. "It's the right record and I couldn't ask for more. Could have been a more enjoyable journey, but it's there now. The art comes first."

And here's the whole interview: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/feb/09/axl-rose-chinese-democracy-interview

Yes he said he was fine with music side of things. They just used the wrong booklet. Seems like label/azoff just quickly sent art work to BB and that was it. you like to think it was a genuine mistake.

I prefer it over Lies.

Appetite

UYI 2

UYI 1

CD

Lies

Spaghetti Accident

I think it's a better album, people can whine & crywank all they want it's about personal taste.

cmon nothing is better than Axl belting out "im recccccckkkkleeesss" to start off the record

lol @ Spaghetti Accident though i agree with you there...man that album blows even the cover is a eye sore...really a shitty way for the old guns to end

I prefer it over Lies.

Appetite

UYI 2

UYI 1

CD

Lies

Spaghetti Accident

I think it's a better album, people can whine & crywank all they want it's about personal taste.

cmon nothing is better than Axl belting out "im recccccckkkkleeesss" to start off the record

lol @ Spaghetti Accident though i agree with you there...man that album blows...really a shitty way for the old guns to end

human being and hair of the dog might the only songs on there i can stomach

I love Live Like A Suicide, but man... who knew Appetite was coming? maybe others, but not me. At first they wanted to do another EP with covers or something but decided to go with an LP instead.

• Like 1

I prefer it over Lies.

Appetite

UYI 2

UYI 1

CD

Lies

Spaghetti Accident

lol @ Spaghetti Accident though i agree with you there...man that album blows even the cover is a eye sore...really a shitty way for the old guns to end

I like Lies but as a whole album its very short. Spaghetti's not all bad...I like Down On The Farm, Human Being, Hair Of The Dog, SIDHY. CD has much more scope & depth than both.

I prefer it over Lies.

Appetite

UYI 2

UYI 1

CD

Lies

Spaghetti Accident

I like Lies but as a whole album its very short. Spaghetti's not all bad...I like Down On The Farm, Human Being, Hair Of The Dog, SIDHY. CD has much more scope & depth than both.

i don't even have a looovvvaa, down here on the farm

Joe-Biden-Laughing-Shaking-his-Head.gif

• Like 2

In an objective rock history way the order is obvious.

But everyday I defy rock history and listen to CD. I mean I try with AFD and UYI and theres a few I can listen to. Friday nights is Paradise City. Saturday morning is Used to Love Her. Sunday is a Civil War. It's party music.

CD is great to listen to as an album and just sink into it.

• Like 3

I know I've said this before, but anybody rating this 8-10 have to either be lying to us, themselves, or both. Of course I believe music is subjective and some people may like this album more than others for whatever reason. But I firmly believe any rational person that claims this album is Axl Rose at his best have got to be kidding themselves.

Does giving it a rating of 8-10 mean people think it represents "Axl Rose at his best"? Really, an eight signifies absolute theoretical perfection? :huh: You really have a big problem accepting the fact that people like music you don't like, even to the extent of thinking CD is a 8 to 10 record :D
No, no. I clearly stated that I do believe some may like the album more than others for whatever reason. But come on. Just as there were people that were going to hate the album regardless, there were people who were going to claim it was God's gift to man regardless as well. Why? Because they wanted to believe their faith in Axl was justified. Because they didn't want to eat shit for the haters. Maybe I should've said 9-10, but it's my firm belief that rational people who think this album is perfect or near perfect are full of shit. Cmon now.
  • Like 1

No, no. I clearly stated that I do believe some may like the album more than others for whatever reason. But come on. Just as there were people that were going to hate the album regardless, there were people who were going to claim it was God's gift to man regardless as well. Why? Because they wanted to believe their faith in Axl was justified. Because they didn't want to eat shit for the haters. Maybe I should've said 9-10, but it's my firm belief that rational people who think this album is perfect or near perfect are full of shit. Cmon now.

There is no such thing as a perfect album. Even AFD is far from it. In my opinion songs like Anything Goes, Think About You, You're Crazy and My Michelle are garbage compared to some other songs GNR have written. But nevertheless I'd give it a ten, because IMO it's the closest thing to a perfect record that I know of. There's some other records that deserve 10 points too, but not by GNR. So you have to understand that 10 doesn't equal perfection or even near perfection on everyone's top list. No album would get 10 points if that was the case.

And 9 is even further away from perfection. I'd say 9 equals great, which is what CD is in my opinion. Of course it has it's faults. The album has many cheesy moments and If The World is not a good song. The album is definitely not good enough to justify the 14 years of wait. But it's still a great album and better than most albums I've heard. Not objectively speaking, but based on what I appreciate in music.

So this is what the numbers mean to me:

10 = Excellent

9= Great

8 = Very good

7 =good

6 =above average

5= average

and so on...

CD is a great album in many people's opinion. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone after all these years that we've been discussing about it.

(Oh, and I waited for Indiana Jones 4 even longer than I waited for CD. I wanted it to be good just as much as I wanted CD to be good and I had faith in Spielberg. I watched Indy4 many times and wanted to give it another chance, because I really really wanted to enjoy it, but I couldn't. It's crap! And I have no problems admitting it. CD on the other hand is great in my opinion. Not worth 14 years of waiting, but great nevertheless. I guess that's why it's so hard for me to understand why some people are here still discussing about CD, if they didn't even like it. Personally I have no interest to talk about Indy4, cause it was such a disappointment that I'd rather just forget that it even exists.)

Edited by Lies They Tell

Would anyone ever be disappointed leaving a GNR show without hearing CD?

"It's cool man. I'll just turn on my spotify."

Yeah, I would. I've seen them 9 times since 2006 and was only fortunate to hear TWAT performed once. I left a little disappointed that it wasn't played at every show since it's in my top five of all time favourite GNR songs.

Ok. So that's one so far.

Would anyone ever be disappointed leaving a GNR show without hearing CD?

"It's cool man. I'll just turn on my spotify."

Yeah, I would. I've seen them 9 times since 2006 and was only fortunate to hear TWAT performed once. I left a little disappointed that it wasn't played at every show since it's in my top five of all time favourite GNR songs.

Ok. So that's one so far.

If you consider that these last years attendance has ridiculously decreased to Axl boring, stale shows, I would think that one or two fans disappointed are a high margin.