If Guns N' Roses Reunites Gilby Clarke Hopes He Could Be Part Of It

Less members on stage, more money for og 5?

Although Dizzy, Fortus and Frank might be cheaper than Adler n Izzy?

Adler n Izzy probably want 1-5th of the money.

Never gonna happen.

Out of all this I expect to see a Slash guest spot on the next tour.

Maybe people are fans of more than just the UYI tour. Is that when you jumped on? In the grand scheme, Gilby doesn't mean a thing to what GNR were. Neither does Fortus.

But by your logic only 'Axl and Slash' matter? I mean 'Guns N' Roses' must have been a 'band' at one stage and not merely a duo (or for that matter an Axl dominated solo act)?

My favourite line-up and era is that of the 1980's and that would be my preferred line-up.

I think Rusty has a point, most people would be more excited about Slash and Axl, the rest of the band could be current Guns and people would still be over the moon. And, it wouldn't be a full reunion by any means but a reunion can be between two people (that hypothetical situation would be Axl, Slash and Dizzy reuniting) it doesn't necessarily have to have every past member for it to be called a reunion. If they were trying to call it a classic era line up then they need all the old crew.

My favourite line up is also the 80s band, but I love / like almost all of the line ups... wasn't a fan of the 99-04 line up but I've been fairly happy since '06.

But it would not be a reunion. You can not market it as a 'reunion' - a reunion to what? How can you reunite Fortus and Frank with Slash when they have never played together! A reunion usually implies, reuniting a band to a previous state of existence.

Let's get one thing straight. We are discussing a hypothetical reunion here. I say hypothetical because I have doubts it will even happen (in which case we are all wrong and completely wasting our time having this discussion). I am interpreting 'reunion' as 'reunion' is commonly thought of when discussing aging rock bands, i.e. a reunion of a distinct line-up of a band, or the best that can be salvaged of that band (e.g. Led Zeppelin at the 02). I am not interpreting reunion as merely a rapprochement between estranged members. I have never heard of anything so preposterous as having Slash playing alongside new gnr members and calling itself a 'reunion' or a 'reunion tour'.

What I have in mind is, Kiss 1996, Deep Purple MII 1984, Eagles 1994, Animals 1975, etc.

But if you are interpreting these discussions and rumours of reunion to indicate simply a return of Slash, then that is certainly your prerogative. Slash's return would be interesting but it would not be Guns N' Roses. It would be a sort of half-way house quasi-GN'R reunion, one step superior than new gnr but one step inferior to a reunited band.

Edited by DieselDaisy

They can sell Axl and Slash as a reunion so it's a reunion with a bit of punditry on the side. There's no such thing as a perfect circle. Mr. Messy sponsors GNR.

They can sell Axl and Slash as a reunion so it's a reunion with a bit of punditry on the side. There's no such thing as a perfect circle. Mr. Messy sponsors GNR.

I don't agree. Guns N' Roses Reunion, Axl and Slash. (Fan) ''Who is that guy who looks a bit like Izzy but isn't - I do not remember him when I saw them on the Illusion tour? And where is Duff and Izzy, my favourite members?''. You could not market it as a reunion. You could of course market it as ''the first time Slash has played with Axl since 1993'' but nothing so concise as a 'reunion'.

Maybe people are fans of more than just the UYI tour. Is that when you jumped on? In the grand scheme, Gilby doesn't mean a thing to what GNR were. Neither does Fortus.

But by your logic only 'Axl and Slash' matter? I mean 'Guns N' Roses' must have been a 'band' at one stage and not merely a duo (or for that matter an Axl dominated solo act)?

My favourite line-up and era is that of the 1980's and that would be my preferred line-up.

I think Rusty has a point, most people would be more excited about Slash and Axl, the rest of the band could be current Guns and people would still be over the moon. And, it wouldn't be a full reunion by any means but a reunion can be between two people (that hypothetical situation would be Axl, Slash and Dizzy reuniting) it doesn't necessarily have to have every past member for it to be called a reunion. If they were trying to call it a classic era line up then they need all the old crew.

My favourite line up is also the 80s band, but I love / like almost all of the line ups... wasn't a fan of the 99-04 line up but I've been fairly happy since '06.

But it would not be a reunion. You can not market it as a 'reunion' - a reunion to what? How can you reunite Fortus and Frank with Slash when they have never played together! A reunion usually implies, reuniting a band to a previous state of existence.

Let's get one thing straight. We are discussing a hypothetical reunion here. I say hypothetical because I have doubts it will even happen (in which case we are all wrong and completely wasting our time having this discussion). I am interpreting 'reunion' as 'reunion' is commonly thought of when discussing aging rock bands, i.e. a reunion of a distinct line-up of a band, or the best that can be salvaged of that band (e.g. Led Zeppelin at the 02). I am not interpreting reunion as merely a rapprochement between estranged members. I have never heard of anything so preposterous as having Slash playing alongside new gnr members and calling itself a 'reunion' or a 'reunion tour'.

What I have in mind is, Kiss 1996, Deep Purple MII 1984, Eagles 1994, Animals 1975, etc.

But if you are interpreting these discussions and rumours of reunion to indicate simply a return of Slash, then that is certainly your prerogative. Slash's return would be interesting but it would not be Guns N' Roses. It would be a sort of half-way house quasi-GN'R reunion, one step superior than new gnr but one step inferior to a reunited band.

II don't consider a hybrid of new and old to be the same as a full classic line up reunion. I was actually just talking about people being satisfied by seeing Slash on stage with Axl. Remove any mention of a reunion (although Axl and Slash is obviously the most important reunion within the gnr camp).

People have favourite members, but I the biggest criticism of new gnr over the past 5-10 yrs wasn't about Izzy, Duff, Steven or even Gilby and Matt. It has all been centred around the absence of Slash. (Personally) I think any semblance of a reunion should at least include, Duff, slash, Axl and hopefully Izzy but I don't think the general public care that much, but I could be wrong; that's just the impression I get when I read Facebook, blabbermouth or YouTube comments about current guns.

Edited by Tom2112

Who cares what the general public think.

Those that care about making money. The general public is the bulk of your customer base for anything.

If you are a musician and let the general public dictate the terms you are going to produce pap.

Who said they would be dictating anything. You asked who cares what the general public thinks and I gave you the obvious answer.

The bulk of the customers(the general public) are not purists. They will accept a GNR reunion with or without someone like Gilby and etc. The public remembers their music videos that featured mainly Axl and Slash and occasionally Duff. People didn't go to the UYI shows to see Gilby. They also didn't follow the tour like hardcores did.

Do you think they'll sit there and say, "Man wtf! Where is the guy that jumped through the cake! I'm outta here."

Who cares what the general public think.

Those that care about making money. The general public is the bulk of your customer base for anything.

If you are a musician and let the general public dictate the terms you are going to produce pap.

Who said they would be dictating anything. You asked who cares what the general public thinks and I gave you the obvious answer.

The bulk of the customers(the general public) are not purists. They will accept a GNR reunion with or without someone like Gilby and etc. The public remembers their music videos that featured mainly Axl and Slash and occasionally Duff. People didn't go to the UYI shows to see Gilby. They also didn't follow the tour like hardcores did.

Do you think they'll sit there and say, "Man wtf! Where is the guy that jumped through the cake! I'm outta here."

I would hope they would say something similar if they were seeing Fortus standing there. I would hope they would turn away in droves if Duff was not present, and that there was not at least a decent effort to assemble a line-up resembling the ones seen 1985-93.

I don't think the general public are the ones GnR are aiming for with a reunion cuz the general public doesn't give a monkeys for Guns n Roses, it's aimed at a fanbase primarily, these are the people that generate buzz and excitement which the general public then latch on to to make a thing huge.

The HOF showed there is still an interest in GNR. I think people are downplaying the buzz it will create and it's not like people just forgot GNR ever existed. They just don't give a shit about this version of GNR.

If they're depending on just the GNR fanbase, going by the boards, what is that like a few thousand people?

HOF showed there was an interest how/why? It's debatable exactly what HOF showed and even then, it showed something cuz it's catering to that specific market, just as a reunion would be, metallers, rock fans, this ain't the standard of the general public today in 2015, first and foremost for this to have any value it'd have to be a substantial reunion. You could probably stand to lose a Stevie Adler and nobody'd give a fuck but not a Duff and an Izzy. And if people ain't aware of those two well then they can't be much aware of GnR so why would a reunion make any difference to em?

So were Slash to just appear onstage with Axl in place of DJ Asba that'd be the equivalent to a GnR reunion?

Edited by Len B'stard

Sorum is the only post-AFD guy that would be ok in a reunion.

Nope, Dizzy needs too!

25 years, plus UYI nostalgia factor

Axl should maximize the cash cow with a fatter than ever line up

That actually is a good question. Is Dizzy in on a reunion? I assume Axl would be for it. Not sure about the rest of the guys. The public probably wouldn't care either way.