Europe/North America compare

Snake-Pit

Sorry Africa, Asia, Australia, Middle East and South Pacific... I'd get to you when I get to you...

But... If you're from one and haven't been to the other, this thread could be for you.

I've been to both, now, am from Europe, and Europe pretty much looks the same but London is a metro and... Just seems to be Shard and all and damn it that's home to me done work on The Shard and all.... Anyway... (The Shard to date being the EU's tallest building)...

It's like...

2E962FAC69F0107F114E946DF9A3DC5E.jpg

Europe... The NL... Could so easily be Croydon, UK but it's not, it's Amsterdam.

and...

5870bf5f3f1548229f9a29da0deec41e.jpg

North America, Route 611, Easton Road, Willow Grove, PA (A nice enough neighborhood).

I haven't been to Canada yet... but I have seen TV set in America filmed in Canada...

Mexico, IDK hombre.

I have no idea what you're talking about Snakes, what, London looks a bit like the rest of Europe? :lol: I aint been nowhere really but i can tell you with a degree of certainty that most major cities have similarities Snakes, in the way most suburbs do too, this is why they are placed in the same cat-e-gor-y :D

Edited by Len B'stard

I have no idea what you're talking about Snakes, what, London looks a bit like the rest of Europe? :lol: I aint been nowhere really but i can tell you with a degree of certainty that most major cities have similarities Snakes, in the way most suburbs do too, this is why they are placed in the same cat-e-gor-y :D

North America and Europe's infrastructure were built to slightly different specifications, so this is a 'compare that stuff' thread.

Many cities in the US have been planned from the getgo, most cities in Europe has evolved over many centuries. You don't get that grid-like structure so common in USA when you have to work with a city that dates back 1000 years. Unless you raze it all (or it gets burned down), and you get a new chance to plan out the cityscape according to more modern needs.

Personally, I like old cities, their random streets and mixed-in old houses -- it's vestiges of distant, different times and always makes me ponder history. On the other hand, modern US cities are much easier to navigate :) As a pedestrian, I also find many US cities frustrating.

Many cities in the US have been planned from the getgo, most cities in Europe has evolved over many centuries. You don't get that grid-like structure so common in USA when you have to work with a city that dates back 1000 years. Unless you raze it all (or it gets burned down), and you get a new chance to plan out the cityscape according to more modern needs.

Personally, I like old cities, their random streets and mixed-in old houses -- it's vestiges of distant, different times and always makes me ponder history. On the other hand, modern US cities are much easier to navigate :) As a pedestrian, I also find many US cities frustrating.

MK is a preplanned city and it is a hole, so probably better that European cities are not preplanned

• Like 1

MK is a preplanned city and it is a hole, so probably better that European cities are not preplanned

Well Boston, MA (never been) is a nightmare because the road planning there date back to horse & cart and were laid with that in mind.

Sir Christopher Wren wanted to redesign London after The Great Fire, replacing London's medieval streets with geometric boulevards. He envisioned a big boulevard from (his rebuilt) St Paul's to the Stock Exchange, uniting the twin pillars of Britishness, Anglicanism and Commerce.

4623122878.jpg

Charles II took one look at the cost, and the fact that the city would be effectively on standstill while the medieval warren was replaced, and vetoed the idea. Wren merely got St Paul's.

Sir Christopher Wren wanted to redesign London after The Great Fire, replacing London's medieval streets with geometric boulevards. He envisioned a big boulevard from (his rebuilt) St Paul's to the Stock Exchange, uniting the twin pillars of Britishness, Anglicanism and Commerce.

4623122878.jpg

Charles II took one look at the cost, and the fact that the city would be effectively on standstill while the medieval warren was replaced, and vetoed the idea. Wren merely got St Paul's.

Urban regeneration in the United States of America was modeled on the Blitz... London was demolished and rebuilt but it was a little less planned thus mixing old with the new...One telltale bombsite is a gap and something new in an otherwise Edwardian street...

Edited by Snake-Pit

4623122878.jpg

Napoleon the third was much more forward thinking and got Baron Hausmann to knock everything down and rebuild Paris

I don't really know the point of this thread, but since he mentioned Canada, I'll say this; it looks pretty much the same as most of the US. That is why a lot of shows and movies are filmed there, you can't really tell them a part much. I have been to Canada many times and honestly the only way you can tell you are in a different country is because they use the metric system. But other than that, pretty much identical.

• 5 months later...

Okay, if Britain left the EU, Britain compared to the US wouldn't make as much sense as Britain in the the EU compared to the US and enjoying a trade deal with America and vice versa for America with Europe.

Edited by Snake-Pit