What Is Your Job?

Mfegz

$13 per hour is good money?! for a high school student maybe who is living at home......man you set the bar really low........

Take a break from the cost of living in...where do you live, Massachusetts?

He lives in Oklahoma. land of $100,000 decent starter homes. I got approved for my home loan back when I made 15 an hour. 13 an hour may not be good, but it's decent.

I should clarify, he was making good money with the IT job he got right out of college before complaining that it was hard and bitching about it.

Edited by AxlisOld

CEO at a biotech company.

Soulmonster. Soulmonster. Soulmonster. IS GODZILLA!

Nah, that's soo 1950s. Collaboration with the Norse government for genetically engineered polar bears to assist in the Rape & Pillage 2.0 tour to come to selected villages and monasteries across Europe soon, is more where it is at.

$13 per hour is good money?! for a high school student maybe who is living at home......man you set the bar really low........

Take a break from the cost of living in...where do you live, Massachusetts?

He lives in Oklahoma. land of $100,000 decent starter homes. I got approved for my home loan back when I made 15 an hour. 13 an hour may not be good, but it's decent.

I should clarify, he was making good money with the IT job he got right out of college before complaining that it was hard and bitching about it.

13/hr is about $22K/ year after taxes is just enough to survive especially if you buy a starter home IMHO. There is not much if any discretionary income left after you pay your mortgage, bills and living expenses to do much other than stay home and play video games, drink cheap beer and maybe go out for a cheap bite to eat and a movie once in while with your significant other. maybe that sounds o.k when you are in you teens or early 20's but it seems like a rather grim future if you ask me unless that is all you want out of life.......

Edited by classicrawker

This conversation is so depressing, thinking about what I earn...

Sorry Deeds I am not trying to be condescending or make anyone feel bad if they are in that situation. I was making $5.50 and hour working close to fulltime while I was married and putting myself through Engineering school back in the early 80's.

My wife at the time was not making much more so I relate my opinion to how we struggled to make ends meet. Granted this was back in the 80's . We rented a condo in Connecticut that ended up selling for $85K back then and is worth north of $300K now but I think it is comparable when you consider cost of livingback then.

Maybe I am out of touch and $13/hour is actually decent, and not sure what you make, so what is your thoughts on the subject?

Edited by classicrawker

This conversation is so depressing, thinking about what I earn...

Sorry Deeds I am not trying to be condescending or make anyone feel bad if they are in that situation. I was making $5.50 and hour working close to fulltime while I was married and putting myself through Engineering school. My wife at the time was not making much more so I relate my opinion to how we struggled to make ends meet. Granted this was back in the 80's . We rented a condo in Connecticut that ended up selling for $85K back then and is worth north of $300K now but I think it is comparable when you consider cost of living back then.

Maybe I am out of touch, and not sure what you make, so what is your thoughts on the subject?

Well, I think you're pretty much right, although AxlIsOld is fairly right, too. It does have a lot to do with cost of living in a lot of areas, but I think $13 really is the minimum to be able to get by with any sort of acceptable standard of living even in places with a low cost of living. That said, it is remarkable how much of the population makes $13 or less, myself included. I know a lot of people in the area where I live that have 20+ years of loyalty to their company and only make that much or just a few pennies more.

When I made 9.50 an hour, I had a decent apartment, relatively new car that was paid off, and still put away money into savings. We have a pretty low cost of living here, but someone can live comfortably. People put too much stock in what minimum wage is for. It isn't for buying a house and acheiving the American dream, it isn't meant to support a whole family. It is enough for one person, working 40 hours a week, to live an adequate standard of living. Nothing more.

$13 an hour is fine to live off of. Though what Deeds is saying, I remember recently looking for work, and nothing was paying above 12 an hour. 10 bucks an hour left and right....fuck.

• Like 1

I'm very much against the minimum wage, because it says "I'd pay you less if I could".

Yeah but without it it would be a case of 'I'm gonna pay you next to fuck all and you can't do nothing about it'.

Len, what is your job? apart from cleaning the floor in your parents Kashmiri restaurant.

Doing your Mum up the arse.

Give me some free Gushtaba.

What the fuck are you talking about? :lol:

Isnt that a Kashmiri dish?

I dunno, i dunno what the fuck it is :lol:

I'm very much against the minimum wage, because it says "I'd pay you less if I could".

Yeah but without it it would be a case of 'I'm gonna pay you next to fuck all and you can't do nothing about it'.

Len, what is your job? apart from cleaning the floor in your parents Kashmiri restaurant.

What kind of food you get in your parents Kashmiri Restaurant?

He is in his early 20's. And it sounds like all those things that you're left with are exactly what Nate likes doing.

I agree at his age, with minimal responsibilities and expenses, $13/ hour probably works right now but my question is will he want to be making this type of money his whole life?

ISIS send over bits of whiteboy which we then make curries out of :D

Edited by Len B'stard

ISIS send over bits of whiteboy which we then make curries out of :D

But seriously apart from sitting at home, getting beaten up by your dad and shit posting here, what do you actually do?

What the fuck are you talking about?

I dunno, i dunno what the fuck it is

ISIS send over bits of whiteboy which we then make curries out of

But seriously apart from sitting at home, getting beaten up by your dad and shit posting here, what do you actually do?

:lol:

I've hurt your feelings somewhere, haven't i? :lol: This is all a bit random isn't it sweetheart? :lol: