How do you cook steak?

wasted

Just get the spatula, hold down the stick and tip off any excess juices into a separate pan (keep them for gravy). You may then have to top up with oil.

If you cook a steak properly there shouldn't be any excess juices. It should all still be in the meat.

Ehh, no. From my experience it is a poorer grade of meat if it is not leaking loads of blood and gravy.

Ehh, yes. Unless you overcook it as it seems you do.

:lol:

It's like a couple of Mums having a passive aggressive barney :lol:

I've cooked hundreds of steaks including steaks for people at big gatherings with specifications ranging from 'rare' to 'well done', receiving endless compliments, yet to be told I have been ''not cooking it properly'' and ''over cooking it'' is an outrage. I actually serve posh steak and chips, with each chip cut to perfect symmetry and a side bowl of Bearnaise sauce.

I'm assuming that if Wasted likes his steak rare (or medium rare) he would have removed it from the pan when he considers it done to his specifications. It is easier when you are cooking it for yourself as you see the end result in the pan yourself.

Just get the spatula, hold down the stick and tip off any excess juices into a separate pan (keep them for gravy). You may then have to top up with oil.

If you cook a steak properly there shouldn't be any excess juices. It should all still be in the meat.

Ehh, no. From my experience it is a poorer grade of meat if it is not leaking loads of blood and gravy.

I've cooked hundreds of steaks including steaks for people at big gatherings with specifications ranging from 'rare' to 'well done', receiving endless compliments, yet to be told I have been ''not cooking it properly'' and ''over cooking it'' is an outrage. I actually serve posh steak and chips, with each chip cut to perfect symmetry and a side bowl of Bearnaise sauce.

I'm assuming that if Wasted likes his steak rare (or medium rare) he would have removed it from the pan when he considers it done to his specifications. It is easier when you are cooking it for yourself as you see the end result in the pan yourself.

And you make gravy for it???? I mean who the fuck puts gravy on a steak? Especially made from the juices of said steak? "Here's a lovely piece of shoe leather but never fear because all the flavour and juices are sitting right over there in the fucking gravy boat!" :lol:
  • Like 1

And you make gravy for it???? I mean who the fuck puts gravy on a steak? Especially made from the juices of said steak? "Here's a lovely piece of shoe leather but never fear because all the flavour and juices are sitting right over there in the fucking gravy boat!" :lol:

Not for that steak you idiot. As I said, I serve steaks with a Bearnaise sauce. I might turn it into a gravy and freeze up for later or stick it into a stew type dish.

I heard about this a year ago or so:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/perfect-porterhouse-steak

I have yet to prepare a steak this way, but I want to ASAP.

Open all the windows bro, smoke will fill your entire house, no joke!

But damn that is a good way to do it!!!

I use the broiler in oven sometimes, BBQ is best though. I only buy quality steaks, some people think they are expensive but for a great steak you cant cheap out

• Like 1

If you like your steak rare you are going to be serving it with the blood anyway. I took that as assumed. In that case, merely flash fry it on either side for a couple of minutes. But if you are going to be cooking it longer, you are going to find an excess of fluid (and this will not be blood) which you don't want as you will end up boiling the thing.

I like - did like - my steaks very well done, no red, but I used to cook rare steaks for people also.

I do not know what all this tough as leather, putting the thing in the oven, nonsense is about. Once a steak has been fried to well done, the thing does not automatically go tough. Just remove it when all the red has vanished. Heck, I like my steaks almost charred on the outside (you would not get this in a restaurant) and they are still tender. A good qualify beef such as an Angus should produce results like that. Crap quality beef will produce results that are as tough as old boots however you choose to cook the thing.

I do not eat red meat now. Give me a good bit of fish any day.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Salt and pepper. If you need anything else, you cooked it wrong. Rare-medium rare, well done is a waste of a cut and a disgrace to the cow who gave their life. 500 or so degrees on the grill. Boom. Steak.

Whereas a half done slab of it's flesh is a tribute? :lol:

Yes. Yes it is. :mellow:

• Like 1

To me, the presence of pink merely signifies that it is underdone. You wouldn't serve pink pork because it will give you tape worm, or pink chicken because it will give you salmonella. I just couldn't eat something with pink on it, or swimming in blood. But people like it this way for some odd reason.

To me, the presence of pink merely signifies that it is underdone. You wouldn't serve pink pork because it will give you tape worm, or pink chicken because it will give you salmonella. I just couldn't eat something with pink on it, or swimming in blood. But people like it this way for some odd reason.

How does sushi fit the equation cuz thats just flat out raw isn't it? Not having a pop, i literally don't know. Is it different with fish or something?

Put it this way, there is a reason why there is no such thing as cod sush or cod sashimii!! Basically, in any cod before it is cooked there are billions of worms and parasites which are destroyed during the cooking process. I hope this does not put you off your cod and chips?

The rule is: never eat a fish raw what the Japanese themselves do not eat.

You get trichinosis from pork, but really, nowadays, you don't get that even.. Pink pork is fine actually. As long as the meat is cooked to 140 or so (not 160, overkill for pork) and held at that temperature for a couple minutes, the bacteria is killed. Enjoy medium rare pork loin, it's delicious. Ground meat has to be cooked to 165.

I'm extra cautious, cooking it completely so I do not find myself with worms coming out of my rectum.

That's the thing, I don't know about UK standards for pork, but the US standards have all but eliminated Trichinae. It also dies at in the 130's, as long as it is held for a couple minutes. 160 kills it instantly, that's why the FDA adopted that temperature. There is no risk cooking pork to 145, and you don't have to put up with an inferior cooked cut of meat.

This is how I barbecue grill them on a propane gas grille

1. Lightly coat steaks with extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking

2. Fresh ground black pepper both sides

3. very lightly sprinkle Kosher salt on both sides. not too much or they will cook too salty

4. Crush fresh garlic and coat both sides of the steak

Let marinate for a few hours at room temp to let the pepper and garlic flavor get into the meat

Heat the grill up for 15 minutes at high and reduce to medium heat just before you put the steaks on.

Put steaks on grill and cook 5-6 minutes each side for nice medium rare warm pink center

Very important ingredients to successful cooking:

1- bottle of decent red wine

1- good music to cook by

One of my favorite activities is sit on the deck and drink some wine while cranking good music while I cook. For some reason the steaks taste better if you do this.

I'm extra cautious, cooking it completely so I do not find myself with worms coming out of my rectum.

That's the thing, I don't know about UK standards for pork, but the US standards have all but eliminated Trichinae. It also dies at in the 130's, as long as it is held for a couple minutes. 160 kills it instantly, that's why the FDA adopted that temperature. There is no risk cooking pork to 145, and you don't have to put up with an inferior cooked cut of meat.

Axlisold is correct as here in America pork is raised so trichinosis is not longer a worry. That being said I cook my pork so that there is just a hint of pink left and I mean you can barely notice it. They have breed U.S. pork to be so lean now that if you cook it any longer it gets dry as shit and hard to swallow........

One think I do not do with pork is salt it before I grille it as it comes out too salty IMHO

Steak-room temperature-season-pan-medium high-olive oil in pan till smoke-steak in pan-three minutes per side-add some fresh thyme while cooking-flip-add butter yeah-baste-remove-serve-done

Why does your post look like Lark Voorhies' book?

Laughed out loud! :lol: