R.I.P. David Bowie

DR DOOM

Probably just recycled version of the anecdote about Keith and Mick being in bed.

Bowie influenced Gary Glitter, Slade and Sweet and all of the other 1970s queennies haha

He was actually a genius tea-leaf, he took the best bits of SO much, The Stooges for instance, and then like...the 80s electro-pop sound and all that was hugely Bowie influenced but a lot of that was Bowie taking the best bits of Kraftwerk and Neu! and such. A lot of people from those circles didn't much like him for it either.

Took me a while to get into him too actually, only really did in the last 10 years or so in terms of properly getting into his stuff and not just liking a couple of 70s hits. It's rewarding, it's just when i was younger i tended to like stuff that more leapt out of the speakers at you which isn't always the case with Bowies stuff, a lot of it kinda...whats the word I'm looking for? Sort of messy sounding and best understood in the context of the album it's from...but that was kind of the point i think, a lot of it is a bit jarring as pop music goes. I suppose thats what they called 'challenging pre-concieved notions of...'. The intellectualism of the way some of his fans understand his music is to it's detriment i think, he always used seemed to laugh at such assessments though.

Probably just recycled version of the anecdote about Keith and Mick being in bed.

Bowie influenced Gary Glitter, Slade and Sweet and all of the other 1970s queennies haha

He was actually a genius tea-leaf, he took the best bits of SO much, The Stooges for instance, and then like...the 80s electro-pop sound and all that was hugely Bowie influenced but a lot of that was Bowie taking the best bits of Kraftwerk and Neu! and such. A lot of people from those circles didn't much like him for it either.

I heard the same story about Mick and Bowie, dancing in the streets, they looked like a couple, a cool couple.

Bowie was a genius, yeah he took the best from everything, even in the instrumental experimental tracks. But what a way of putting all those things together. I can't listen to Kraftwerk, but i can with bowie.

I think Bowie, like Pink Floyd, and some other bands are bands that you have to grow into. Couldn't get away with them when I was in my teens, and even in my early to mid 20's. Only started to really listen to them in their entirety in my very late 20's.

nah, sorry, no amount of growing will help me get into Pink Floyd, sod that :lol:

I will give Bowie some credit for pissing off Axl. Maximum respect as the Americans would say.

I think he was trying to get in Erin's knickers.

There's a proper you've been framed-ish clip on youtube of him not realising he's being filmed doing coke, don't half make him jump :lol:

maybe that's why i didn't get Kraftwerk, sounds like it's one of those things you like if you are living in London.

Don't like Floyd either. All these ppl telling me to get some smack and listen to dark side while watching the wizard of oz. fuck that. didn't work.

The Erin/Bowie thing. I don't blame Erin there, i mean. the guy has those fucking 2 color eyes, has that presence, the voice and it's fucking David Bowie.

Bowie is Britain in the 70s which was unbelievably wank, Noel Edmunds jumpers, prawn and cocktail starters and uncollected bins. Starman is the soundtrack to that period.

You're actually spot on! The aspirational of the 60s generation were sort of just getting into their 3 bed semi's at the time...but thats why it worked so well i think. And why Brown Sugar was as good a soundtrack to that era. You'd be suprised how broad the Bowie look got too, which i always found interesting, fuckin' hooligans in DMs turning up at football matches with the haircut and the fuckin' lightning bolt across their face :lol:

Don't like Floyd either. All these ppl telling me to get some smack and listen to dark side while watching the wizard of oz. fuck that. didn't work.

'Here, take this drug that shuts your fuckin' brain off and listen to it again Russ, it'll all make sense'

:lol:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

I think Bowie, like Pink Floyd, and some other bands are bands that you have to grow into. Couldn't get away with them when I was in my teens, and even in my early to mid 20's. Only started to really listen to them in their entirety in my very late 20's.

It's all subjective.

Pink Floyd bore the tits off me, but I've loved David Bowie's music since I was about 12 years old and it certainly wasn't something I had to grow into. I fell hard and fast.