R.I.P. David Bowie

DR DOOM

Tony Iommi. Single-handedly created the deathrattle sound that now defines heavy metal. Not the same sort of avant garde reinvention as Bowie had, but you can't deny what Iommi has done for hard rock.

Pete Townshend, godfather of the mod movement.

The surviving members if Queen. Even beyond the impact that Dr. May and co. have had on music, the recording techniques, the layering... They were absolutely pioneers.

I get the cases you're making. But the key difference is they all did something. Bowie, however, did everything. Blackstar still broke new ground and pushing boundaries. As as much as Iommmi, Townshend or May have meant to music, the same can't be said about anything they've done in the past 10 or even 20 years.

I get what you mean. Because I think it was two things with Bowie: 1. he was still breaking new ground and seemed relevant as an artist. I think his comeback into music reinforced that. It still would have been big if he died before he did The Next Day, but coming back to music after such a lengthy absence definitely reinforced that Bowie is an omnipresent force. Even if he wasn't necessarily "relevant", he was still out there making new music.

And 2. I don't think there's anyone that didn't like Bowie. You might not have liked all his music, but EVERYONE knew and liked at least one Bowie song. They were too big and good not to. Either Space Oddity spoke to you, or Changes, or Queen Bitch, or Ziggy Stardust or Suffragette City, or Life On Mars or Rebel Rebel, or Let's Dance or Modern Love or Young Americans or... the list goes on and on and on and on. EVERYONE knew who Bowie was, EVERYONE respected his artistry (even if it annoyed you), and EVERYONE could relate to a Bowie song. I don't know how many people there are like that. As much as I know what you mean about Iommi and stuff, I don't know if thats necessarily the case. Username makes a good point with Beatles and Stones, but again the difference is they are still out there, pretty much as an oldies act. What was weird and special about Bowie was he wasn't. So the death is shocking, but also relevant cause he had a new album out 3 days ago. The world would certainly mourn McCartney or Jagger, but you know they wouldn't be talking about their new album, like EVERY news publication is with Bowie. Thats the difference.

Bowie really was a celebrity death kind of unlike any other in my mind. Or not unlike any other in the past, but unlike anything in the future. I guess its too soon to tell, but can't really think of an artist that will make that kind of impact, other than a massive oldies artist like McCartney dying.

• Like 1

Tony Iommi. Single-handedly created the deathrattle sound that now defines heavy metal. Not the same sort of avant garde reinvention as Bowie had, but you can't deny what Iommi has done for hard rock.

The surviving members if Queen. Even beyond the impact that Dr. May and co. have had on music, the recording techniques, the layering... They were absolutely pioneers.

I get the cases you're making. But the key difference is they all did something. Bowie, however, did everything. Blackstar still broke new ground and was still pushing boundaries. As as much as Iommmi, Townshend or May have meant to music, the same can't be said about anything they've done in the past 10 or even 20 years.

I can see that too, but isn't that also true of Mick, Keith, and Macca? I mean, Macca hasn't really done anything worthwhile since Let It Be, and I never much cared for his portion of the Beatles catalog to begin with...

Also: Bowie may be the star man, but May is literally a doctor of star study. So... :P

I know you already addressed that in you post, but I think Bowie might almost have been too consistently evolving for his own good, to the point where his impact gets muddled. The Beatles, The Stones, those others you can really trace a direct influence. Bowie's is more general. Pretty much every comment on his death has been "he encouraged me to take risks and be myself," which is much broader and much more important, on the one hand, but also much harder to pin down.

• Like 2

I know you already addressed that in you post, but I think Bowie might almost have been too consistently evolving for his own good, to the point where his impact gets muddled. The Beatles, The Stones, those others you can really trace a direct influence. Bowie's is more general. Pretty much every comment on his death has been "he encouraged me to take risks and be myself," which is much broader and much more important, on the one hand, but also much harder to pin down.

Yup. I think even more a reason he's getting such an outpour. Cause even if you didn't connect to his music, you connected to his message. There are probably other people like that, although I'm not sure exactly who at the moment.

Since Bowies died my lifes falling to bits...fair dues the two things are almost completely unrelated but still :lol:

Yup. I think even more a reason he's getting such an outpour. Cause even if you didn't connect to his music, you connected to his message. There are probably other people like that, although I'm not sure exactly who at the moment.

I've always felt 'he encouraged me to take risks and be myself' on the part of a non fan is a mite bit placatory as a statement.

I get the cases you're making. But the key difference is they all did something. Bowie, however, did everything. Blackstar still broke new ground and was still pushing boundaries. As as much as Iommmi, Townshend or May have meant to music, the same can't be said about anything they've done in the past 10 or even 20 years.

Not sure about breaking new ground with his new album but Bowie certainly was not adverse to taking risks and trying new things.............

Edited by classicrawker

The melody from this would later be used by Trent Reznor for NIN's A Warm Place

Apparently, (you've probably seen the Trent and Bowie interview/sit down) Trent wrote A Warm Place thinking that HE'd just came up with it, but he thought it sounded familiar and couldn't work out why. Only after he released it did he realise it was the same as Bowie's.

He probably thought he'd be safe with Bowies being released in Japan haha

I'm gutted over Bowie dying. I'm not even that much of a fan of his music really, only because i've barely heard anything, he's one of a list of artists that i've just never really got round to listening to. But i've always liked him. I've watched countless interviews. And you've all said how i feel in different ways... It just feels like such a loss. Sad :(

Not sure about breaking new ground with his new album but Bowie certainly was not adverse to taking risks and trying new things.............

Ok, might have been a slight overstatement. Or at the very least to early to tell. But he was definitely still trying new things and really challenging himself and his fans with his new material. My favourite album of last year was probably Keith Richards'. I absolutely love it. But it's exactly what I'd expect a Keith Richards album to sound like. Keith isn't re-inventing Keith. He just does what he does best and he does it incredibly well. And there's nothing wrong with that by the way. I'm very happy about that actually because that's why I love Keith. But with Bowie, you still never knew what to expect. And there aren't many artists who have ever done that at 69 years old. I find that incredibly admirable. And to do that your whole career with such amazing results overall, wow. Edited by username

If anything it was sort of criticised for being self referential and relatively uninspired for Bowies standard, until people realised he was dying. Not saying its a sympathy vote or anything, just that it makes sense to be tying things together in the light of his tragic illness.

Ok, might have been a slight overstatement. Or at the very least to early to tell. But he was definitely still trying new things and really challenging himself and his fans with his new material. My favourite album of last year was probably Keith Richards'. I absolutely love it. But it's exactly what I'd expect a Keith Richards album to sound like. Keith isn't re-inventing Keith. He just does what he does best and he does it incredibly well. And there's nothing wrong with that by the way. I'm very happy about that actually because that's why I love Keith. But with Bowie, you still never knew what to expect. And there aren't many artists who have ever done that at 69 years old. I find that incredibly admirable. And to do that your whole career with such amazing results overall, wow.

Don't get me wrong one of the things I love about Bowie is his desire to keep trying new directions but for me at least nothing he has done has been ground breaking since the 70's but he certainly keeps things fresh and interesting no doubt.......I may not always like what he puts out but at least he tried new directions..........

If anything it was sort of criticised for being self referential and relatively uninspired for Bowies standard, until people realised he was dying. Not saying its a sympathy vote or anything, just that it makes sense to be tying things together in the light of his tragic illness.

People always tend to speak well of the recently deceased I think. Just human nature......... :shrugs:

That being said IMHO Bowie's recent albums seem to be you either love em or hate em.............

Edited by classicrawker

There was a certain comfort in knowing that Bowie was still out there somewhere making music, even if he had stopped touring and appearing in the public eye.

The mad, mad, bastard I absolutely loved him and they way he exited the stage was so beautifully typical of what he all about.

In a way it reminded me of Hunter S. Thompson - planned it all out to the very end. You look at what they did and it is unmistakable.

The world is a duller place today. Some of the sheen has vanished. And we are all the poorer for it.

Since Bowies died my lifes falling to bits...fair dues the two things are almost completely unrelated but still :lol:

Don't be a tease Len, do tell us all. Why's your life falling apart?

Nothing really, just messin' about, been drinking like a twat, fuckin' off work and generally being a cunt these last few days, just all these last couple of days too oddly, since this weekend gone, fucked off a friend quite badly, nothing actually to do with Bowie :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Don't be a tease Len, do tell us all. Why's your life falling apart?

Nothing really, just messin' about, been drinking like a twat, fuckin' off work and generally being a cunt these last few days, just all these last couple of days too oddly, since this weekend gone, fucked off a friend quite badly, nothing actually to do with Bowie :lol:

All in a days work innit?

Been on the skive eh? Naughty Len. Ah, we all do it, I wouldn't worry.

DON'T EVEN SAY SUCH THINGS!

Sorry! :blink::P

But honestly, the people (both musicians and actors) that we grew up with are not getting younger, and I dread to think of who might leave us next. I mean when I grew up people like David Bowie were considered immortal in my world.

David passing away is probably the worst trip back to reality that I had to cope with in a while...

Quite frankly these arent even people my generation grew up with, these are guys my Dads generation grew up with and in the on-coming decade we're gonna have a lot more of these passing sadly, stands to reason as they're cracking their 70s...i werent in my mid teens in 73, i was in my mid teens in 96

Sad as it is we've not got a choice in the matter, especially them 60s lot watch they're gonna fall off the perch rapidly in the on-coming decade, sadly.

I'm suprised Dave made it this far, amount of Charlie he was knocking out back in the day.

Edited by Len B'stard

Steve Jones interviewed Dave Grohl about Lemmy and Bowie, the stealing microphones story is set straight - then he plays an old clip where Jonesy is interviewing Bowie from the mid 90s. It's now funny hearing Bowie react to Lemmy's name on it.

http://www.955klos.com/2016/01/11/january-11th-jonesys-jukebox-with-dave-grohl/

This song was put up on the PiL site without any comments to it.

Steve Jones interviewed Dave Grohl about Lemmy and Bowie, the stealing microphones story is set straight - then he plays an old clip where Jonesy is interviewing Bowie from the mid 90s. It's now funny hearing Bowie react to Lemmy's name on it.

http://www.955klos.com/2016/01/11/january-11th-jonesys-jukebox-with-dave-grohl/

This song was put up on the PiL site without any comments to it.

I heard it was mics, guitars, all sorts :lol:

There was a certain comfort in knowing that Bowie was still out there somewhere making music, even if he had stopped touring and appearing in the public eye.

The mad, mad, bastard I absolutely loved him and they way he exited the stage was so beautifully typical of what he all about.

In a way it reminded me of Hunter S. Thompson - planned it all out to the very end. You look at what they did and it is unmistakable.

The world is a duller place today. Some of the sheen has vanished. And we are all the poorer for it.

Hunters weren't really planned though, i mean he had a will and wanted to be blown out of a canon etc but there's nothing to suggest he wanted to commit suicide when he did, in fact he often spoke of wanting to have died a lot earlier than he did.

Quite frankly these arent even people my generation grew up with, these are guys my Dads generation grew up with and in the on-coming decade we're gonna have a lot more of these passing sadly, stands to reason as they're cracking their 70s...i werent in my mid teens in 73, i was in my mid teens in 96

Bowie is like Freddie, timeless. I am in the same situation, i grew up with all this music in my house. All that stuff from the late 60's.

To me this is really sad cos i am watching all my heroes falling down or passing away. They cross the other side, while i am here, alienating from the music today. Nothing gets me there. It's not like Elvis is dead but then we got to Plant, Freddie, Axl at the end.

Gets me lonely every time.

it's Aaron Ramsey fault. All of this. Len, do something about it.

Bowie is like Freddie, timeless. I am in the same situation, i grew up with all this music in my house. All that stuff from the late 60's.

To me this is really sad cos i am watching all my heroes falling down or passing away. They cross the other side, while i am here, alienating from the music today. Nothing gets me there. It's not like Elvis is dead but then we got to Plant, Freddie, Axl at the end.

Gets me lonely every time.

it's Aaron Ramsey fault. All of this. Len, do something about it.

Bowie was something else though, over and above Freddie Mercury or Plant and definitely Axl, although Mercury, as much as i hate him and his bullshit music, probably registers closer to a Bowie.

I mean Christ Almighty, the amount of respect he even got from the hip hop community, and not big mainstream tarts like Kanye, DJs like Whoo Kid and them were giving it up for Bowie, literally just people from all over, to your scummiest shit-shovellers to heads to state doffed their caps to ol' Brixton Dave, it's quite amazing.

Bit of a poof, isn't he?

Who, Aaron Ramsey?!? How dare you! :lol:

This not going to end well mon frere :lol: it was sort of obligatory to be a poof in them days wasn't it? If you weren't you'd better act like it! :lol: I remember hearing back in the day that Angie caught him in bed with Uncle Mick from The Stones :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard