R.I.P. David Bowie

DR DOOM

“It was my nemesis, I hated Croydon with a real vengeance. It represented everything I didn't want in my life, everything I wanted to get away from. I think it's the most derogatory thing I can say about somebody or something: ‘God, it's so f**king Croydon!’”

-David Bowie

Brixton, tonight...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35287268

See? Didn't i tell you that? :lol: Croydon had that reputation, of being a horrible poncey sort of place, right up until the early 90s.

You ever see The Simpsons? - they have this celebrity boxer called Drederick Tatum (based on Mike Tyson) from Springfield and a gag once where he was doing an interview on TV and a reporter asked him about Springfield and he said;

"Man that place is a dump. If you ever see me there you'll know I really f - ked up bad."

:lol:...

:(

R.I.P Bowie

Edited by Snake-Pit

If he put out an album three days ago this is incredibly admirable and shows he was a true artist. He must have been recording during some pain. I'm not a fan but I admire almost anyone who puts out an album now.

His longtime producer Tony Visconti said that Bowie knew it was going to be his last album and did it as a parting gift to the fans. Not only that, it's a magnificent piece of work which stands amongst any of his past works. Only Bowie could be more inspired on his deathbed than most artists are in the prime of their life.

• Like 4

He was never part of this planet...hope he found his way home now.

I'm happy that we lived in the same time with him where he was obviously just borrowed to make us learn to be different and to strive for greatness...

Uh, not exactly, no :lol: Although a part of me has always suspected that i was a reincarnation :lol:

How old were you in 1973? ;-)
Minus 10 :lol:

Then you had 4 years to come back :lol:

I reckon he must have had a bit of a giggle thinking about how all of this was going to pan out, I mean the planning was meticulous with the album release, his birthday, the now so obvious hints in the lyrics and videos and then the ultimate stage exit. Genius. Incredibly sad but with a wink and wry smile that so typified Bowie.

I reckon he must have had a bit of a giggle thinking about how all of this was going to pan out, I mean the planning was meticulous with the album release, his birthday, the now so obvious hints in the lyrics and videos and then the ultimate stage exit. Genius. Incredibly sad but with a wink and wry smile that so typified Bowie.

great post...David went out on his terms........

I am absolutely gutted. I grew up with Bowie, and I can't believe that he's dead. Someone like David Bowie doesn't die ! Having said that, I thought the same about Lemmy Kilmister. Who's next?! Keith Richards!? (Don't even think about it Keith!!)

• Like 1

Who's next?! Keith Richards!? (Don't even think about it Keith!!)

DON'T EVEN SAY SUCH THINGS!

Yesterday the Mrs and I were talking about Bowie (of course) and if there are any people left in music (as in, alive) that have had such a lasting impact as he had. The only ones we could think of were Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Paul McCartney. And in terms of musical relevance throughout ones career, Bowie might have even been ahead of all of them. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of all three of them and their longevity alone is absolutely legendary. Hell, Keith is one of my biggest heroes of all time. But Bowie was still re-inventing himself and breaking new ground until his death. As huge as the Stones and McCartney still are today, they're not still doing that. The Mrs argued Madonna might belong in that list as well, but personally I'd say she'd need at least another 10 years of pop hits for that. And I can't even think of anybody else alive that comes close.

Edit:

I'd also kind of want to mention Springsteen for longevity and relevance, but that's not on the same level either.

Edited by username
  • Like 2

Who's next?! Keith Richards!? (Don't even think about it Keith!!)

DON'T EVEN SAY SUCH THINGS!

Yesterday the Mrs and I were talking about Bowie (of course) and if there are any people left in music (as in, alive) that have had such a lasting impact as he had. The only ones we could think of were Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Paul McCartney. And in terms of musical relevance throughout ones career, Bowie might have even been ahead of all of them. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of all three of them and their longevity alone is absolutely legendary. Hell, Keith is one of my biggest heroes of all time. But Bowie was still re-inventing himself and breaking new ground until his death. As huge as the Stones and McCartney still are today, they're not still doing that. The Mrs argued Madonna might belong in that list as well, but personally I'd say she'd need at least another 10 years of pop hits for that. And I can't even think of anybody else alive that comes close.

Tony Iommi. Single-handedly created the deathrattle sound that now defines heavy metal. Not the same sort of avant garde reinvention as Bowie had, but you can't deny what Iommi has done for hard rock.

Pete Townshend, godfather of the mod movement.

The surviving members if Queen. Even beyond the impact that Dr. May and co. have had on music, the recording techniques, the layering... They were absolutely pioneers.

• Like 2

Tony Iommi. Single-handedly created the deathrattle sound that now defines heavy metal. Not the same sort of avant garde reinvention as Bowie had, but you can't deny what Iommi has done for hard rock.

The surviving members if Queen. Even beyond the impact that Dr. May and co. have had on music, the recording techniques, the layering... They were absolutely pioneers.

I get the cases you're making. But the key difference is they all did something. Bowie, however, did everything. Blackstar still broke new ground and was still pushing boundaries. As as much as Iommmi, Townshend or May have meant to music, the same can't be said about anything they've done in the past 10 or even 20 years. Edited by username

I get the cases you're making. But the key difference is they all did something. Bowie, however, did everything. Blackstar still broke new ground and was still pushing boundaries. As as much as Iommmi, Townshend or May have meant to music, the same can't be said about anything they've done in the past 10 or even 20 years.

I can see that too, but isn't that also true of Mick, Keith, and Macca? I mean, Macca hasn't really done anything worthwhile since Let It Be, and I never much cared for his portion of the Beatles catalog to begin with...

Also: Bowie may be the star man, but May is literally a doctor of star study. So... :P