What Are You Listening To 2016

Black Sabbath

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He played there once, 1975, one of the very earliest shows with the second (Poncho) line-up of Crazy Horse,

http://www.sugarmtn.org/show.php?show=197512200

i lived very close to there and maybe it was an urban legend but older people would speak of him going in there by himself and just start playing stuff :)

35 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i lived very close to there and maybe it was an urban legend but older people would speak of him going in there by himself and just start playing stuff :)

Bit of a myth, but like all good myths it has a semblance of truth. In actual fact truth is probably more interesting than fiction: 1974 Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young had played a mammoth stadium tour, millions of dollars involved in support of a (drum roll) greatest hits album - egos, cocaine, groupies. Neil of course hated the tour, keeping himself to himself and using it to introduce a series of new songs. It culminated at Wembley Stadium!

Nearly the whole of 1975 Neil was absent (sans four guest appearances with Stills and Dylan). Then December Neil unleashes the new incarnation of The Horse, a band dead and buried since the death of Danny Whitten 1972.

Crazy Horse is everything CSNY are not: garage rock, wandering tempos, fluffed notes, rawness, and the Inn of the Beginning was effectively their fourth show, a minuscule venue in comparison to CSNY. First bootlegged also (so for us, it is basically the first), earliest of a number of songs including ''Like A Hurricane''.

The bootleg needs re-uploading on guitars101 otherwise I would have linked it.

PS

Neil also played the Cotati Caberet with The Bluenotes, twice in 1987 (that was the band he produced ''This Notes For You'' with).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bit of a myth, but like all good myths it has a semblance of truth. In actual fact truth is probably more interesting than fiction: 1974 Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young had played a mammoth stadium tour, millions of dollars involved in support of a (drum roll) greatest hits album - egos, cocaine, groupies. Neil of course hated the tour, keeping himself to himself and using it to introduce a series of new songs. It culminated at Wembley Stadium!

Nearly the whole of 1975 Neil was absent (sans four guest appearances with Stills and Dylan). Then December Neil unleashes the new incarnation of The Horse, a band dead and buried since the death of Danny Whitten 1972.

Crazy Horse is everything CSNY are not: garage rock, wandering tempos, fluffed notes, rawness, and the Inn of the Beginning was effectively their fourth show, a minuscule venue in comparison to CSNY. First bootlegged also (so for us, it is basically the first), earliest of a number of songs including ''Like A Hurricane''.

The bootleg needs re-uploading on guitars101 otherwise I would have linked it.

it's so bizarre my friend and i used to ride horses in a park that is catty cornered to this place but long after Neil played there

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

it's so bizarre my friend and i used to ride horses in a park that is catty cornered to this place but long after Neil played there

Neil went from this,

AR-AG490_CSNY_G_20140624150549.jpg

To this,

Inn-of-the-Beginning.jpg

The Inn of the Beginning is one of these legendary sweat box American venues which produced legendary Shakey concerts, resulting in legendary Neil Young bootlegs (The Bottom Line, NY is another one, the show where he played most of On the Beach).

Apparently Van Morrison, Joplin, The Airplane and The Dead played there also.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Neil went from this,

AR-AG490_CSNY_G_20140624150549.jpg

To this,

Inn-of-the-Beginning.jpg

The Inn of the Beginning is one of these legendary sweat box American venues which produced legendary Shakey concerts, resulting in legendary Neil Young bootlegs (The Bottom Line, NY is another one, the show where he played most of On the Beach).

Apparently Van Morrison, Joplin, The Airplane and The Dead played there also.

yep been by there many a time. there was a grocery store across the street we'd ride up  to  and get soft drinks and fruit. wow...memories!

On 09/09/2016 at 0:33 AM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

this is EPIC! i mean when you hold your own against Mick Jagger?? look at how Axl struts out there...

Nobody can hold their own against Mick Jagger!

I have the whole of that show on bootleg dvd - it has John Lee Hooker and Clapton also. It is worth watching the whole thing.

• Like 1