Frank Is In (According To Steel Panther)

19 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Y'all just plain hurt my heart with posts like this lol.

I'm glad to have more confirmation that Frank's the drummer personally, but on the subject of people not liking him: I listened to the entirety of Chiba Japan 2007 the other day while driving, just to pay attention to Frank. I was thinking "What am I missing? Why do people think this dude is so bad?" I came away still loving his playing and the additions he makes to the old & new tunes. I'm not sure why so many of us are so far apart on his playing.

edit-
Then again, I'm fine with every drummer that's every been in GN'R except Brain and some people think I'm insane for not liking him.

Brain ruined YCBM

5 hours ago, Babooshka said:

What is it with this fanbase and the focus on "loyalty". I've never known a group of fans to go on and on about who and who isn't loyal. Loyalty this, loyalty that. What is this about? It's one of these things that seems to get pushed, but why?

That comes directly from Axl's insistence that anything and everything bad that ever happened in GNR is because people screwed him over, abandoned him, betrayed him, etc.

The first 10 seconds of this video show why Frank is terrible for GN'R. I'm not saying he's a bad drummer, he's a great drummer, but he doesn't have the swing for guns. Personally, I was never a huge fan of Sorum playing the Appetite material either, but I loved his drumming in Velvet Revolver since it was a new band, we expected something different. I mean Izzy said that once Adler was fired the band's sound changed and it lost it's punch. I think this may be why Izzy isn't taking part if that rumor is true. 

Well this is depressing news. Frank is a pro, but also an ill-suited drummer for GNR. I am extremely tired of how he absolutely RUINS the classics. If Frank had any humility, he would say, 'Sorry, I'm getting out of here...Steven does this a million times better than my useless ass'. 

Edited by sonofnazareth

28 minutes ago, Ant said:

I think Slash and Duff will give Frank some feedback on stuff like intros.... maybe...

Oh probably, and they might not even have to - Frank is a professional musician and will likely recognize that this is touted as a "classic" Guns show, so therefore any of the changes he made to the parts to fit into the "new Guns" style will probably go. It's not that he can't play the songs as they were originally - he chose to make them his own and even acknowledged in the one paradisecity.com interview that he took Brain's idea for the Brownstone intro.

Why is everyone convinced that he won't change/adapt the way he plays the songs with Slash and Duff? He's a pro - he can handle it. If he's still playing the songs the same way come April then we can start the bitching, but my gut says he'll gravitate more towards the "classic" way of playing then to mesh with Slash and Duff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Oh probably, and they might not even have to - Frank is a professional musician and will likely recognize that this is touted as a "classic" Guns show, so therefore any of the changes he made to the parts to fit into the "new Guns" style will probably go. It's not that he can't play the songs as they were originally - he chose to make them his own and even acknowledged in the one paradisecity.com interview that he took Brain's idea for the Brownstone intro.

Why is everyone convinced that he won't change/adapt the way he plays the songs with Slash and Duff? He's a pro - he can handle it. If he's still playing the songs the same way come April then we can start the bitching, but my gut says he'll gravitate more towards the "classic" way of playing then to mesh with Slash and Duff.

sorry, you can't just gravitate towards the classic way of playing the songs no matter how much of a 'pro' you are. Only Steven has the 'feel' and spirit...he can play the old songs the way they were meant to be played. Stop dreaming. You can't replace Bonham in Zeppelin and expect it to sound remotely similar..a pro drummer (Phil Collins) tried and failed miserably. 

8 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Well this is depressing news. Frank is a pro, but ill-suited drummer for GNR. I am extremely tired of how he absolutely RUINS the classics. If Frank had any humility, he would say, 'Sorry, I'm getting out of here...Steven does this a million times better than my useless ass'. 

Axl, Slash and Duff: "Frank, we want you to tour with us. We think you'll do just fine and we want to share a stage with you."

Frank: "Thanks guys, that means a lot. I was reading the forums though and fans who don't play drums or have never been in a band think my style isn't right for you. I'm quitting so you can get that guy you fired 26 years ago."

If you were Frank, why would you care what some internet posters think of your style of being a professional drummer? This whole "it's got to be original 5 or else" mentality has gotten a little extreme. Most of guns history has been without the original group. If it's memories you are looking for, go visit a relatives house you haven't been to in awhile. It might give you that feeling you're seeking.

This is a band, which we are all a fan of, not involved in. Our opinion is nice, but again, it's a fans opinion. I think the band, that we are fans of, know what they are doing with it since it's theirs, not ours. That doesn't mean they can't listen to the fan base, but it's still up to them.

• Like 4

Just now, Sprite said:

Axl, Slash and Duff: "Frank, we want you to tour with us. We think you'll do just fine and we want to share a stage with you."

Frank: "Thanks guys, that means a lot. I was reading the forums though and fans who don't play drums or have never been in a band think my style isn't right for you. I'm quitting so you can get that guy you fired 26 years ago."

If you were Frank, why would you care what some internet posters think of your style of being a professional drummer? This whole "it's got to be original 5 or else" mentality has gotten a little extreme. Most of guns history has been without the original group. If it's memories you are looking for, go visit a relatives house you haven't been to in awhile. It might give you that feeling you're seeking.

This is a band, which we are all a fan of, not involved in. Our opinion is nice, but again, it's a fans opinion. I think the band, that we are fans of, know what they are doing with it since it's theirs, not ours. That doesn't mean they can't listen to the fan base, but it's still up to them.

No, this 'Nugnr is great mentality' has gotten too extreme. I am not looking for memories..I'm hoping for the original 5 guys who took over the music scene to do it again and they can. Nobody else who has been a part of GNR has the 'feel', spirit and experience to do that for GNR besides the original 5. You seem to happy with passable hard rock . GNR, in their original incarnation, were NEVER a passable hard rock band...they ruled the roost and had a unique sound. 

1 minute ago, sonofnazareth said:

No, this 'Nugnr is great mentality' has gotten too extreme. I am not looking for memories..I'm hoping for the original 5 guys who took over the music scene to do it again and they can. Nobody else who has been a part of GNR has the 'feel', spirit and experience to do that for GNR besides the original 5. You seem to happy with passable hard rock . GNR, in their original incarnation, were NEVER a passable hard rock band...they ruled the roost and had a unique sound. 

Well I'll be honest, I haven't seen that "Nugnr mentality" around here lately, but I wasn't talking about that band anyhow. Like it or not, and no disrespect to Izzy or Steven, Duff, Axl and Slash are the face of guns n roses more so than anyone else. They've sold over 100 million albums together. If they are ok with Frank and Richard, I'm ok if that's what they do with their band.

I would love to see the original 5. I'm just as much a fanboy as you in that regard. I'm ok if it doesn't happen though. I'm ok just seeing the band in whatever incarnation, because I've thoroughly enjoyed them all. 

I'm not sure what you mean by take over the music scene. If you mean that you think if the original 5 were back together, they'd be Kanye level of popularity, I just don't see it. 

I think you've got to be ok with aging and change and it's ok not to replicate things from the past. It's a game you'll always lose. It's more fun to take all the experiences for what they were. If you are hoping for MTV Ritz 88 level impact with a regrouping of them, you're likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Doesn't mean they can't share a stage and just play rock  n roll though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sprite said:

Well I'll be honest, I haven't seen that "Nugnr mentality" around here lately, but I wasn't talking about that band anyhow. Like it or not, and no disrespect to Izzy or Steven, Duff, Axl and Slash are the face of guns n roses more so than anyone else. They've sold over 100 million albums together. If they are ok with Frank and Richard, I'm ok if that's what they do with their band.

I would love to see the original 5. I'm just as much a fanboy as you in that regard. I'm ok if it doesn't happen though. I'm ok just seeing the band in whatever incarnation, because I've thoroughly enjoyed them all. 

I'm not sure what you mean by take over the music scene. If you mean that you think if the original 5 were back together, they'd be Kanye level of popularity, I just don't see it. 

I think you've got to be ok with aging and change and it's ok not to replicate things from the past. It's a game you'll always lose. It's more fun to take all the experiences for what they were. If you are hoping for MTV Ritz 88 level impact with a regrouping of them, you're likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Doesn't mean they can't share a stage and just play rock  n roll though.

Alright man, I respect your opinion about them not being able to be as popular as Kanye West, but I do feel that they can be the biggest rock band in the world again with the original 5.

Edited by sonofnazareth
  • Like 1

Doesn't slash say to play a song your own way rather than play it identical to the original. I have no problem with Frank, they have probably been rehearsing to get the right groove. I think Frank and Fortus are the correct two to fill in. I actually like Sorum but couldn't see him getting the call. 

17 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Kinda unsettling to hear that, according to these guys at least, they're already fighting again.

I question that because it doesn't seem legit at all. They say axl doesn't rehearse and like anyone sees him yet they're fighting? Who knows but you know it's expected to be volatile. Still no tour announcement so we'll see..

1 minute ago, Sprite said:

Dude I've got great news for you. Not only did they find a guns n roses drummer, he's got 10 years experience. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Ferrer

Yeah ferrer is who I was talking about. Not some random guy from slashs band. It's great that slash is back but he isn't running the show just to even out the axl era

2 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

I question that because it doesn't seem legit at all. They say axl doesn't rehearse and like anyone sees him yet they're fighting? Who knows but you know it's expected to be volatile. Still no tour announcement so we'll see..

Yeah ferrer is who I was talking about. Not some random guy from slashs band. It's great that slash is back but he isn't running the show just to even out the axl era

My bad. I realized that after I posted. It's what I get for trying to be a smartass haha.

1 hour ago, sonofnazareth said:

sorry, you can't just gravitate towards the classic way of playing the songs no matter how much of a 'pro' you are. Only Steven has the 'feel' and spirit...he can play the old songs the way they were meant to be played. Stop dreaming. You can't replace Bonham in Zeppelin and expect it to sound remotely similar..a pro drummer (Phil Collins) tried and failed miserably. 

I wasn't talking about him copping Adler's feel... I was talking about the extra fills and stuff that Frank changed. His Brownstone intro, for example, sounds different because it is different. He plays steady quarter notes on the kick while playing the syncopated rhythm across the toms - not to mention extra cymbal accents with the snare. Adler didn't. Adler played steady sixteenths on the floor toms while accenting the syncopated rhythm with the kick drum.

The point I was making was that Frank is capable of playing it the "proper" way, which he probably will. That will put him closer to the original sound of the song. Whether he can truly cop Adler's feel will still be up for debate of course because only Adler has Adler's feel, but nevertheless it will sound more accurate than what he's been giving us since 2006.

Listen to Sorum do it with VR - he's playing it "Adler's way" but obviously the feel is a bit different. Still, it's miles ahead of when Sorum changed it to a timpani rhythm during the UYI days. His VR and beyond rendition sounds much closer to Adler's version. Frank will be no different if he reverts to the original version for the notation.

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Y'all just plain hurt my heart with posts like this lol.

I'm glad to have more confirmation that Frank's the drummer personally, but on the subject of people not liking him: I listened to the entirety of Chiba Japan 2007 the other day while driving, just to pay attention to Frank. I was thinking "What am I missing? Why do people think this dude is so bad?" I came away still loving his playing and the additions he makes to the old & new tunes. I'm not sure why so many of us are so far apart on his playing.

edit-
Then again, I'm fine with every drummer that's every been in GN'R except Brain and some people think I'm insane for not liking him.

Frank is a great drummer. Totally professional and a class act. 

• Like 1

Frank just fucks me off in general, didn't step aside when Brain returned to work on remix albums, won't step aside now. Never put out any material of note with quality original drums, and thinks he is so good he adds fills to the appetite songs. Anyone but him. Matt would be good, Steven a hope and my preference.

• Like 1