Frank Ferrer: How I nailed the Guns N' Roses gig

And this is the last time Jungle was played with somewhat of the same swing without overplaying and getting in the way. The groove, swing and power in his snare just masterful and he really showcases his skill/groove in the bridge. Brain is a real pro. World class drummer who knows how to do justice to songs whether it is his style or not.

WTTJ 06

Edited by Top-Hatted One
link name
  • Like 1

Why are people so focused on the tempo when its not always the issue of him rushing through songs? The tempo will be fine and then suddenly speed up and overplayed during Slash's solo, Civil War outro, double talkin etc. The groove isn't right on AFD songs rocket queen, brownstone etc. Just watch video of Adler, Sorum & Brain. The extra fills are not necessary especially in Jungle where it is not subtle. It is sacrilegious to try to change a classic like Jungle. Its going to be pretty obvious to people attending the shows for the first time

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

I sincerely doubt when he said making the songs his own he meant the tempo of the song. Making it his own is changing fills and being creative with the techniques he uses when drumming. Not changing how fast the song is played. The tempo would be decided by the whole band not by the drummer all on his lonesome.

Everything about his drumming sucks.

• Like 1

On June 10, 2016 at 7:46 AM, nonok said:

Wasn't lolPitman spouting similar crap about how he's enjoying being in the band, the tour's gonna be great, he's a legit member etc when the reunion was first announced? Well, if Pitman's fate is something to go by, we shouldn't give up hope that Frank will follow in his footsteps someday, making room for Steven/Matt. And then Fortus will feel alienated and Izzy will return and voila! Have faith, guys.

I like the optimism. But sadly, we still don't know for sure what happened to pitman. I heard/read that pitman left on his own because he wasn't getting the significant raise in his salary that he thought he was owed. Because they went from playing "half empty arenas" to stadiums that some here believe are "all sold out", when a lot of them aren't sold out. But he felt he was entitled to more so, he split. At least that's one theory which, is just more believable than him getting fired.

Anyways, Frank would have to really, really mess up to get fired. But he could step aside, which would get interesting because then people will want sorum, Adler, and Fitz to take over. Which would probably come down to who wants to play Chinese Democracy songs.

Edited by Billsfan

27 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

I like the optimism. But sadly, we still don't know for sure what happened to pitman. I heard/read that pitman left on his own because he wasn't getting the significant raise in his salary that he thought he was owed. Because they went from playing "half empty arenas" to stadiums that some here believe are "all sold out", when a lot of them aren't sold out. But he felt he was entitled to more so, he split. At least that's one theory which, is just more believable than him getting fired.

Anyways, Frank would have to really, really mess up to get fired. But he could step aside, which would get interesting because then people will want sorum, Adler, and Fitz to take over. Which would probably come down to who wants to play Chinese Democracy songs.

Seems incredibly idiotic and irrational to quit the band because you didn't get a big enough raise - I mean, the fact that Guns went from playing small arenas to sold out stadiums means that he would have gotten paid much more if he stayed than in any other band/project he joins now. Anyone in their right mind knows that the bulk of the cash is split between the Big Three, so I don't think that theory is all that credible, but we have no way of knowing until Axl makes a rant about him or something.

If Frank does ever leave, then the first choice is going to be Adler. People underestimate that guy because he's a wreck (which he is) and think he can't handle the UYI/CD material, but he's been praying for a reunion since he got kicked out and I'm pretty sure he will have prepared. I have a hunch he's learned (or at least tried to learn) most of the Illusions stuff and he's going to play anything the band tells him to, even CD, as long as he gets to be part of it.

As for Sorum - well, Axl doesn't like him and we don't know if he wants to play with them anyway (but he probably does, judging by his Twitter outbursts), but he can definitely play anything and may be considered. And Fitz can also play anything they give him, but I don't think Slash wants to merge his band with Guns, and Axl probably doesn't want it to look like Slash's band either - it'll be too awkward.

• Like 1

It's like Ashba's left, so you guys need a new beating boy! I can't remember Frank getting that much hate in the last 10 years, so why now? Huh??
Not the best drummer ever, have GNR had better, YES! However all this hyperbole hate is so funny!
Just shows up a lot of you as haters - you HAVE to moan and hyper analyse something! 
Instead of just being happy...Waste of positive energy!  

• Like 2

There are multiple different explanations why people have 'suddenly' started to hate Frank.

1) Maybe Frank's gotten worse? Musicians won't stay in the same level of playing all of the time. Maybe he has lost his groove?
2) Maybe he has been bad all the time, but we didn't notice until Slash's & Duff's involvement changed the groove so much (for the better), that it became clear that Frank's the weakest link?
3) Maybe people just want Adler back since they got Slash & Duff already.  

In my opinion Guns just sound so good & original right now in every single way, and Frank can't match that. NuGuns didn't sound the same as the hybrid-Guns. So it's option number 2 for me. 

• Like 1

As much as I love Stevie, i've heard him play a couple of times during 2015 and once 2016, and he had problems with the tempo as well. He was slowing down, missed hits, couldn't play kick drum quite on time etc. Overally he was decent, but if they would put him on an arena with Slash & Duff, he needs some serious practising & guidance from a professional to get fit for Guns. I really hope to see him there, he's my favourite drummer all time, but it's not gonna happen (except for a limited/featuring role in a few songs, as rumoured) the way he's been performing & drumming for the past couple of years. 

Edited by rosesandguns
  • Like 1

Let's call a spade, a spade. Frank is a poor man's Brain. 

Ironically, in one of Brain's recent interviews he mentions that Frank is a better fit for GnR than him because Frank is a rock drummer and close in style to Steven Adler since he plays loose. 

In my opinion, Frank sucks. Period. Brain was a kickass drummer..best drummer GnR ever had. So was Freese who is a beast on drums. Sorum was great post Illusions (loved his work on Spaghetti Incident, Sympathy for the Devil and VR). Basically anyone would be better than Frank.

• Like 1

Frank fucking sucks end of... no need to sugar code it... GNR should get Brian back if they cant get Adler or Sorum for whatever reasons 

Yh hes a nice guy so are alot of people on this forum dont see them ruining legendary songs on a daily bases in exchange for loads of cash 

Edited by Hasan--97
  • Like 1

Im not sure why, but Frank used to be ok, boring as hell, but ok. And the problem for me is not the overall faster tempo of the songs, even if I dont generally like it.....for some songs it kinda works, some not. Its the speeding up the tempo DURING the songs. hopefully he will get it back together. 

frank ferrer has a drumming style that is too ahead of its time.

very few people on this day and age are able to enjoy -- or let alone understand -- what he is doing when he plays! 

thats because he is giving us something truly new and unique.

it scares us.

it doesnt feel right.

after the threeunion tour (and album), frank will be asked to join dream theather - a pioneer band that is light years ahead of its time

frank is gonna say yes (and leave GNR)

in between touring and recording with dream theater, frank will play drums for rush on their "speed or bust" world tour

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

frank ferrer has a drumming style that is too ahead of its time.

very few people on this day and age are able to enjoy -- or let alone understand -- what he is doing when he plays! 

thats because he is giving us something truly new and unique.

it scares us.

it doesnt feel right.

after the threeunion tour (and album), frank will be asked to join dream theather - a pioneer band that is light years ahead of its time

frank is gonna say yes (and leave GNR)

in between touring and recording with dream theater, frank will play drums for rush on their "speed or bust" world tour

yeah right like they haven't got mike mangini already who is milion times better than frank and is the same thing to dream theater as frank to GnR... they should get mike portnoy back or at least marco minneman...

On 2016. 06. 10. at 4:56 AM, RussTCB said:

Wanted to like but couldn't due to the "fans" bit. I happen to love Franks drumming but that doesn't make anyone else who doesn't like him any less of a fan.

well, i get your point, but after we've got Slash and Duff (a thing which a lot of us thought will never happen) complaining about a fucking drummer is preposterous at best. Complaining about Izzy is one thing, because he wrote the majority of the good songs and he is really an original member, but complaining about Frank is laughable

I strongly believe that the fast playing was a wish from the band itself (or even from Axl)

That is why i fully be able to "like" that post:lol:

Edited by Strange Broue

On 2016. 06. 10. at 5:57 AM, SWINGTRADER said:

Somebody needs to tell this idiot that these songs are not for him to make his own. His "own" sucks ass.

These are Adler's and Sorum's. Play them correctly or fuck off!

Umm, YCBM drum intro was Duff's...

If you REALLY insist who "own" the songs....

at least get your facts straight

On 2016. 06. 10. at 4:04 PM, jpduff said:

Axl considers Frank a loyal member? Well, great! But it doesn't make ANY sense not having Matt in the reunion. He's in an excellent shape, great musician, great pal of Duff and Slash, he has been playing around the world for the last decades, etc.. It's pretty fair that Richard's taking Izzy's spot, once we all know Stradlin's preferences. But, the only reason that Matt (or even Steven) didn't come back, is that Frank is a loyal member and did not leave the band (as Ashba, Stinson and Bumblefoot)? C'mon, Axl!!!

I 'd rate Brent Fitz over Matt any day, if Adler isn't realiable enough

But the reality that it seems that Axl still not like Matt enough to call him back to the band and like it or not, Axl runs this show