Frank Ferrer: How I nailed the Guns N' Roses gig

On 2016. 06. 10. at 4:42 PM, RussTCB said:

I'm totally with you up til the very last thing in your post. I felt the EXACT same way when UYI came out. I was like "Wait a minute. This isn't THE Guns N' Roses that I love", but then I saw a couple shows between 91 & 93 and got over it. 

The only thing I agree with you on is the "complaints" (...complaints, complaints) part. Even though I'm down with the current line up, I can totally see how @Tom-Ass and others aren't especially with respect to Frank. I really don't think we have anyone here who complains just to complain. I think most people honestly have an issue with how Frank plays the songs. There's no arguing that he does play them far different than the originals, so it's not a surprise that it wouldn't fit some people's tastes.

Then blame Axl, Slash and Duff

Seems like they aren't care enough to tell him to play the songs slower

That's why i think somebody from the core membership wanted to plaay this way... even on the rehearsals this issue could be solved, but they just don't care

why is that?

Blame Axl, Slash and Duff (or even 4tus)!

On 2016. 06. 11. at 0:32 PM, Top-Hatted One said:

And this is the last time Jungle was played with somewhat of the same swing without overplaying and getting in the way. The groove, swing and power in his snare just masterful and he really showcases his skill/groove in the bridge. Brain is a real pro. World class drummer who knows how to do justice to songs whether it is his style or not.

WTTJ 06

Well i saw him before this show and his playing sucked some serious ass:shrugs:

if you look for other 2006 and 2002 videos, his playing was way worse than Frank's on the classic songs.

If i don't know that he is a seriously gifted player in the studio, i'd say that he is an amateur with an expensive kit

Also i don't get why people praise Sorum so much...

Even on that particular VR gig, he still doesn't sound as good as Steven on Brownstone....

I haven't heard a good Brownstone since 1989

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ludurigan said:

frank ferrer has a drumming style that is too ahead of its time.

very few people on this day and age are able to enjoy -- or let alone understand -- what he is doing when he plays! 

thats because he is giving us something truly new and unique.

it scares us.

it doesnt feel right.

after the threeunion tour (and album), frank will be asked to join dream theather - a pioneer band that is light years ahead of its time

frank is gonna say yes (and leave GNR)

in between touring and recording with dream theater, frank will play drums for rush on their "speed or bust" world tour

Well, i still don't understand why are you being so edgy and sarcastic, because as it pointed out in this very thread, the decision was probably not Frank's. 

All of you people turn a blind eye these evidences 

why?

I've always got the impression Axl's hired-hands are *not* allowed to talk. Does this mean Frank is out? ;D

I've lost touch with Gn'R again. I know there was the mini Slash Duff Axl get together. Then Axl did the AC/DC gig(s) ..what's next?

Edited by star

On 6/10/2016 at 4:14 AM, default_ said:

Myles is like a college educated Mickey, while Axl is that Mickey that got out on high school. 

I cant understand a person that likes Myles voice and dislike Axl's Mickey. 

I'm a little late but that's exactly why someone likes Myles voice and dislikes Axl's Mickey. One is trained to sing high properly and one sucks at it. It's really simple like that. 

Imagine. One is a lawyer with college degree and the other one tries to be a lawyer but didn't finish high school. Why wouldn't you hire the second one? :D 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scooby845 said:

yeah right like they haven't got mike mangini already who is milion times better than frank and is the same thing to dream theater as frank to GnR... they should get mike portnoy back or at least marco minneman...

i was only joking man, dream theater to my ears sound just as awful as frank drumming thats why i think they should join forces 

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

i was only joking man, dream theater to my ears sound just as awful as frank drumming thats why i think they should join forces 

i know you were joking...but anyways I like dream theater and even though mangini is not as good as portnoy he is better than frank...

6 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

Well, i still don't understand why are you being so edgy and sarcastic, because as it pointed out in this very thread, the decision was probably not Frank's. 

All of you people turn a blind eye these evidences 

why?

you are correct

now after reading your post it has dawned on me that all the fills that frank adds to the song (to make his "own") are not his decisions

his brain is obviously being controlled by axl via the teleprompter

:rofl-lol:

On 6/11/2016 at 2:40 AM, Bono said:

Exactly and what makes it an even bigger piss off is there are two guys who are not only better drummers but better known GnR drummers us sitting at home not part of this. Frank is without a doubt the worst part. I mean Melissa is completely pointless but at least she's a million times cooler than Pitman. If it's gotta be Frank then fine but whyt he fuck would he think fans want him to make the songs his own. Their not and all he's doing is sticking out like a sore thumb by trying to make them his own. Play the fucking songs how they're meant to be played. Stop Robin Fincking the drums!

Amen

On 6/11/2016 at 3:11 AM, SoulMonster said:

But isn't that the story of GN'R? Hasn't that been the case since 1989? At some some point we just have to get over it.

Sorry but at this stage of the game the music should sound just as good if not better than it ever did with 25 more years of experience under their belt. Up until this tour Slash was playing the best damn guitar of his life.. Musically his band was way more proficient at playing GnR songs minus Myles.. I want this to sound THAT good with Axl singing.. It isn't that tall of an order to ask for.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2016 at 1:31 PM, colonizedmind said:

It's like Ashba's left, so you guys need a new beating boy! I can't remember Frank getting that much hate in the last 10 years, so why now? Huh??

Because most people didn't give a rats ass about GnR over the last 10 years. From what I saw he did suck then too but I wasn't invested in the band at the time. Things have changed over the last year.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2016 at 11:04 AM, jpduff said:

Axl considers Frank a loyal member? Well, great! But it doesn't make ANY sense not having Matt in the reunion. He's in an excellent shape, great musician, great pal of Duff and Slash, he has been playing around the world for the last decades, etc.. It's pretty fair that Richard's taking Izzy's spot, once we all know Stradlin's preferences. But, the only reason that Matt (or even Steven) didn't come back, is that Frank is a loyal member and did not leave the band (as Ashba, Stinson and Bumblefoot)? C'mon, Axl!!!

we all know stradlin "preferences"?

really?

did stradlin ever tell you (or "us all") about his "preferences"?

did he give a press conference to explain them?

please tell me all about stradlin "preferences" because I have no idea

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

you are correct

now after reading your post it has dawned on me that all the fills that frank adds to the song (to make his "own") are not his decisions

his brain is obviously being controlled by axl via the teleprompter

:rofl-lol:

I've never stated that the interview wasn't shit

Basically he repeated this thing in every interview in the last 10 years so he is a cuck as much as DJ Ashba :shrugs:

Still, the tempo changes are more than likely not his decisions

45 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

we all know stradlin "preferences"?

really?

did stradlin ever tell you (or "us all") about his "preferences"?

did he give a press conference to explain them?

please tell me all about stradlin "preferences" because I have no idea

This. Sorry to @jpduff but izzys Twitter posts seemed to suggest that if anything he's frustrated with axl slash and duff because he wanted back in the partnership and they started booking gigs without him. Naturally some assumed izzy just didn't want to do it full time but since this is being booked as a "reunion" apparently that got izzy going..

22 minutes ago, Strange Broue said:

I've never stated that the interview wasn't shit

Basically he repeated this thing in every interview in the last 10 years so he is a cuck as much as DJ Ashba :shrugs:

Still, the tempo changes are more than likely not his decisions

agreed, the tempo is probably not his decision

all the rest -- the unflowy drumming, the disrupting fills etc etc etc -- are to blame on one person

frank "fills" ferrer

Well I listened to a bootleg of the second night at Vegas and it sounded awful. I do not necessarily see it as a simple case of Frank being a shit drummer per se, but that there is absolutely no chemistry between Frank and Duff and Slash. It was as if there were two bands playing, one with Frank playing on speed, and the other one, with Slash and Duff!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billsfan said:

This. Sorry to @jpduff but izzys Twitter posts seemed to suggest that if anything he's frustrated with axl slash and duff because he wanted back in the partnership and they started booking gigs without him. Naturally some assumed izzy just didn't want to do it full time but since this is being booked as a "reunion" apparently that got izzy going..

Yeah, we cannot assume anything from Stradlin. But, what I tried to say is that Izzy seems to be a complicated guy when talking about huge tours and gigs. He was always a hermit dude that avoids show business. I really love Izzy and I really hope that he takes his part on the reunion. He is GNR itself.

On 6/13/2016 at 9:33 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Well I listened to a bootleg of the second night at Vegas and it sounded awful. I do not necessarily see it as a simple case of Frank being a shit drummer per se, but that there is absolutely no chemistry between Frank and Duff and Slash. It was as if there were two bands playing, one with Frank playing on speed, and the other one, with Slash and Duff!

Pretty much this.

He's a godawful, terrible "drummer" who I would like to see go - but I know it won't happen so I try to concentrate on the big three.  No additional musician is going to ruin the shows for me.

It's not a "reunion", it's a "regrouping", which means this isn't the old band getting back together, it's 2 members of the old band rejoining the band that's been Axl's all along. They might get a bigger piece of the pie and have more of a say in things than the hired guns did but this has carefully been portrayed as Slash and Duff quietly rejoining Axl's GNR. Retaining Richard and Frank is probably more significant than people realize because 1) If money's the main motivation here, they're hired hands, vs Adler and Izzy who could fight for equal shares, and 2) Axl doesn't become outnumbered in his own band, which, agree or disagree, GNR is. 

I'd rather Sorum, don't care about Alder, but am fine with Frank because of the original 5, the drummer is the 5th most important to me. 

Edited by Modano09