Frank Ferrer: How I nailed the Guns N' Roses gig

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Nah, I still think the reason is we got 3 out of 5 original members and now just cause we don't have all 5, it's crying like a bitch season and Frank is the one who's filling the sit Adler should have.

Many people have seen new Guns and paid for tickets in the last 10 years. No one gave a shit that it's not Adler up there. It's just the same people that always wanted a full reunion can't accept that they got so close but not quite.

I would accept Frank being fired and being replaced with a competent drummer. It doesn't have to be Adler or Sorum.  

And I know nobody gave a shit that Adler was not up there because it was not Guns N' Roses, that is my point. Now they do care.

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

The reasons people didn't complain about Frank before the "reunion" is because he was playing with fake GNR and nobody really gave a shit

+1000 (out of likes) just when Slash and Duff came along you realised how the sound is better with them and Frank was the one sticking out..

1 minute ago, SWINGTRADER said:

I would accept Frank being fired and being replaced with a competent drummer. It doesn't have to be Adler or Sorum.  

absolutely... bring back Josh Freese if nothing else...

2 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

No matter what Frank does he will still get hate, he's just in a bad situation.

The majority of the fans want Matt or Steven in the band and take it out on Frank...people seem to not care as much about Izzy/Fortus

It's not about him being in a bad situation as much as it is him just not playing the material like it's supposed to be played. People don't give Richard nearly as much crap simply because even the most hardcore original lineup fans have to begrudgingly admit that he's a great guitarist, at least technically, and plays his parts correctly while still showcasing his abilities on the solos he plays. But the times where he has to play rhythm, he plays Izzy's stuff right. Frank - not at all. The only song that I expected him to butcher and he didn't was Coma - the drumming on that song is as important as the guitar and lyrics, and they probably rehearsed it the most. But he plays nearly all the other songs way too fast and pummels the drums way too much for the songs to keep their groove. Also a lot of the fills in the ballads are completely different than the way Matt played them and that ruins the moment for a lot of fans. And of course, the drums are so loud during Slash's solos that you can barely hear the guitar and that also takes away from the experience of having freakin' Slash back in the band. Let's hope they resolved these issues in rehearsals these past few weeks, because if they did, I'll have no problem with Frank - he seems to get on really well with Slash and Duff, and I'll be happy if Steven only makes a guest appearance.

• Like 1

i know it sounds strange, but i'd love to see Freese with this line up. Judging by what i saw from him with other bands, the guy is phenomenal, and probably the best drummer GNR has ever had. Such a shame we never got to see him live

11 hours ago, Babooshka said:

Why do you keep pushing this Kushner idea? What is it based on?

They're probably taking songs they had worked on for the "VR third album" as well as what Axl did with "ChiDem II" and make it into one album (a triple album?) , and the people who had been involved in both bands are going to be involved in the next album. I'm also factoring in Robin, Brain, Izzy, Steven, Tommy, Bumblefoot, Paul Tobias, Caram...and Buckethead. 

The "remix project" might be resurrected, with Slash and Duff doing the ChiDem cuts on top of what's already been done. 

39 minutes ago, rendestroi95 said:

i know it sounds strange, but i'd love to see Freese with this line up. Judging by what i saw from him with other bands, the guy is phenomenal, and probably the best drummer GNR has ever had. Such a shame we never got to see him live

The Vandals even played Coachella. I thought GNR were going to  hook up with Captain Sensible from The Damned and do New Rose. 

16 hours ago, Lumikki said:

To be honest, I don't even really notice his drumming. Threads like these are always fascinating to me, because so many people apparently do and it sounds terrible to them. Bad enough to ruin the songs for some. And I'm just like ???

I don't know, I guess drums just isn't something I pay attention to while listening to music. The only things I consciously notice are the guitar parts, the singing, the melody, and sometimes the bass line (but also not often). :shrugs:

Apart from that, Frank seems like a nice guy. I don't really have a problem with him being in GnR (but then I also don't care for Sorum or Adler, and don't particularly miss them).

I'd happily exchange Fortus for Izzy though. Or hell, I'd even be fine with having 3 guitar players again if it means we can have Iz back.

I'm in a similar situation. For me I relate/listen heavily to the lyrics/singing (and the way Axl moves around...or more recently doesn't move). I feel the bass/drums in terms of rythm and dancing (as I'm dancing thru' out the entire concert). But as far as disecting the drumming...don't even notice it...but I'm not a drummer (only instrument I play is piano). So I'm also totally clueless in this discussion...(other than the fact I fancy Matt as he's a flirt/cute so it would've been more exciting if he was up there...or Steven during guest spots as he's the original).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

Nah, I still think the reason is we got 3 out of 5 original members and now just cause we don't have all 5, it's crying like a bitch season and Frank is the one who's filling the sit Adler should have.

Many people have seen new Guns and paid for tickets in the last 10 years. No one gave a shit that it's not Adler up there. It's just the same people that always wanted a full reunion can't accept that they got so close but not quite.

Nah that's not the reason most of us just want Frank to get it right so it feels like GNR again. Right now it doesn't and it's a shame it's because of something as simple as the drums.  Such an easy fix.

Sorum wasn't Adler but he was the perfect replacement for the simple fact he got the foundation of those drum parts right and didn't get in the way. However still managed to create signature GNR fills. If they had gotten someone else at the time chances are people would've been up in arms as they are now.

Frank can do it he loses this attitude that he has to make the parts his own. Just play it right.

There is a reason Slash and duff speak so highly of Sorum's style. I'm sure they felt he saved the band back in 91. Once they fired Adler they were probably under a lot of pressure to find a drummer who fit in without throwing their balance off. 

Frank will never be Adler. Adler is the only drummer who can do those songs justice. Then again Axl is not into AFD as much anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Didn't we conclude that it's not Frank's choice to play the songs so fast like 2 months ago?

What part of Frank saying "making the songs my own" didn't you understand? Do you honestly think Slash and Duff told him to do that?

44 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

What part of Frank saying "making the songs my own" didn't you understand? Do you honestly think Slash and Duff told him to do that?

I sincerely doubt when he said making the songs his own he meant the tempo of the song. Making it his own is changing fills and being creative with the techniques he uses when drumming. Not changing how fast the song is played. The tempo would be decided by the whole band not by the drummer all on his lonesome.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2016 at 7:02 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Frank is the worst part of this "reunion"... Never heard a drummer single-handedly  have a negative effect on so many songs.. This "reunion" could be so much better and one of the biggest reasons if not the biggest is Frank trying to make perfect songs "his own"..  People were excited about a reunion and hearing these songs sound great again.. Not some no name drummer making the songs his own.. 

Exactly and what makes it an even bigger piss off is there are two guys who are not only better drummers but better known GnR drummers us sitting at home not part of this. Frank is without a doubt the worst part. I mean Melissa is completely pointless but at least she's a million times cooler than Pitman. If it's gotta be Frank then fine but whyt he fuck would he think fans want him to make the songs his own. Their not and all he's doing is sticking out like a sore thumb by trying to make them his own. Play the fucking songs how they're meant to be played. Stop Robin Fincking the drums!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bono said:

Exactly and what makes it an even bigger piss off is there are two guys who are not only better drummers but better known GnR drummers us sitting at home not part of this. Frank is without a doubt the worst part. I mean Melissa is completely pointless but at least she's a million times cooler than Pitman. If it's gotta be Frank then fine but whyt he fuck would he think fans want him to make the songs his own. Their not and all he's doing is sticking out like a sore thumb by trying to make them his own. Play the fucking songs how they're meant to be played. Stop Robin Fincking the drums!

hahaha Robin Fincking the drums. 

I really enjoyed Robin's take on gnr songs. It wasn't as blasphemous since nuguns wasn't really guns. You could get away with playing the songs the way the you would've wrote it. 

You don't see Megadeth, ACDC and everyone who changes drummers like underwear allowing their drummers to alter classics songs that fans want to see played to perfection. 

That is why it is so important  for musicians to release new music unfortunately that is a foreign concept to GN'R. Frank probably feels trapped and bored as hell. Heck even fans are tired of hearing those some of those classic songs live. Frank just has to get back to doing these songs justice the fans deserve and are paying a pretty penny to see. Hopefully there will be a ton of new music for Frank to showcase his skills in the foreseeable future

Edited by Top-Hatted One

3 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Didn't we conclude that it's not Frank's choice to play the songs so fast like 2 months ago?

Yupp!

Paradise City from Coachella, Slash sets the tempo

It's So Easy from Coachella, Duff sets the tempo

Double Talkin' Jive from Vegas, Frank sets the tempo

I think it obvious that this is the bands decision not Franks!

• Like 2

If Adler makes some appearances it'll be interesting to see how fast the tempo is for the songs he plays. If he really was rehearsing before his injury surely they would've spoke about it if it's a band decision. If Adler plays some songs the way they should be played then is it just Frank ?