Why aren't they playing...

4 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I'm happy with the setlist so far, but in a perfect world I'd like to see this.

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Chinese Democracy 

Welcome To The Jungle

Double Talkin Jive

Estranged

Live And Let Die

Rocket Queen

You Could Be Mine

Duff solo (rotate w/ Attitude and Raw Power)

This I Love

Civil War

Coma

Slash solo - Godfather

Sweet Child O' Mine

Sorry (rotate w/ Catcher, Street Of Dreams)

Out Ta Get Me

Better

November Rain

Right Next Door To Hell (rotate w/ Locomotive, Pretty Tied Up, Perfect Crime)

Knockin' On Heavens Door

Nightrain

Encore:

Patience (rotate w/ Don't Cry)

Slither

Nice Boys (replacing The Seeker and rotate w/ anything from Guns catologe)

Paradise City

Nice one. A rocker between NR and KOHD, and that encore would be amazing. 

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I've finally found something to disagree with you. I entirely, completely and totally disagree about Out Ta Get Me and It's So Easy :bitchfight: :lol: OTGM is a simple rock 'n' roll song, but imo it's one of their defining songs in the early years; it's representative of the band's spirit and particularly of Axl's rebellious soul, and this Axl is never boring to me. I want it to be in the setlist forever, or at least as long as Axl has this Ritz look in his eyes when he sings it.

ISE: it goes without saying that I can't relate to the misogynistic lyrics, and in its original country-like form it would be a stupid song, but the guitars and the vocals are so raw, fierce and dark that make it explosive. For me it's the song that, along with Jungle, distinguished the most GnR from those silly LA hairmetal bands. I want it permanently in the setlist as well.

Brownstone: I like it, but I wouldn't mind if it was in rotation with another rocker, Reckless Life for example or one from the Illusions (Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, Dust 'n' Bones).

I don't mind PC and Sweet Child. PC is a classic and it's a good closer for a show; the problem with it is the current live version. SCOM will always be there inevitably, although I bet that even Axl is sick of it. The same for NR.

-------

As for the rest:

Jungle, Nightrain and Civil War should stay as they are, Michelle could be replaced or rotated with something else, Coma could be rotated with Locomotive and Breakdown.

The covers: I could do without LALD and especially KOHD, but they are crowds' favorites. KOHD should be shortened though and make space for another song. The Seeker doesn't bother me; they seem to enjoy playing it and after all it's a 2 minute long song. I like Duff's spot and I'd like one more from TSI.

Slither/Other VR or Slash songs: I hope they'll play at least one of them. Not so much for the songs themselves, but because the symbolism would be huge.

Hah! :lol:

But actually we're not disagreeing all that much, because I like the things you mentioned about ISE and OTGM as well. I love Axl's singing in ISE, it's fierce and I like the deeper voice he uses, but that's the only thing I like about it. Musically, ISE just doesn't grip me in any way and the lyrics do the rest. Axl's awesome singing is just not enough to save the song for me lol. I also get what you're saying about OTGM and I agree, but again it's not enough to make me like the song as a whole. I don't even hate OTGM, I just don't love it, I think it's kind of boring musically and I wouldn't be sad to see it go from the set list. Brownstone I neither like nor dislike. Like I said earlier, it's just... there.

I guess if I really wanted to I could find something I like about nearly any GnR song (they are my favorite band after all :P), but it's easier to just say "I don't like that song" than to go into details like that.

As for VR/Slash songs, I actually like quite a few of those, but yeah, the symbolism is my main reason for wanting them there. It would be such an awesome gesture on Axl's part, especially considering how dutifully Slash and Duff have been playing all the CD songs. I'm holding out hope for the show on Slash's birthday.

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

lol yeah my first album was UYI 2, then UYI 1, then AFD. In that order.

I wasn't so young as you to get the Greatest Hits first, lol, but I had no idea about the existance of AFD until I got into the band and learned more about them. Then I bought the other albums.

Being sick of the old songs have to do with what kind of fan you've been all these years. Fair weather fan is going :dance:about all of this because they quit the band before the band exploded themselves. They never listened or cared about them anymore, so it's logical that they act and feel like all of this is new.

Well, it's not.

And I have not been waiting 25 years for this reunion. Im not the kind to get stuck in a spot and wait until destiny decides for me. No way, I moved on, I got into the nuGNR era. Didn't like a lot of things but at least it wasn't a dark place of nostalgia and delusion about what did not happen. CD came and I had mixed feelings. I had listened to the leaks first, then the album, the shows, it was all so confusing but I still hung around. So to make the drama story short, people like me are fed up of the AFD songs, we want something fresh, something new and I dont see how only a handful of songs from an album that was released under the name of GNR is too much of an annoyance in a setlist of 23 songs, which most belong to the AFD/UYI era.

Yeah, I've been following this band since I was 14, and I'm tired of most of the "classics". I was also around during that whole "waiting for CD" era and afterwards and compared to now, it was a dark time to be a GnR fan. But like you, I hung around and I feel a bit tired of everything by now, except for some CD songs and some UYI songs. And I'm really hoping for new music now that things finally seem to be going well again.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are acting like Guns have many albums!

The problem with Guns and Appetite is, Appetite has a sort of paramountcy (for Guns) which would be unusual for other bands, but is loosely analogous to what Nevermind the Bollocks is for the Sex Pistols (an one album band to all intents and purposes). The reasons are manifold. Firstly, Guns are notoriously unprolific; they have - at best - five albums of original material, and even that is stretching things a bit considering Lies is little more than an Extended Player whereas Chinese is considered illegitimate by a sizable chunk of the fanbase. Consequentially, GN'R's albums have to work that bit harder than say, Stones albums do for The Rolling Stones; another way to put it would be to say, one single Guns album counts for more of what Guns inherently are, than bands with ten, twenty albums (many of them good and bad). Secondly, Guns, including Nugnr, have relied wholesale on Appetite for their setlists. Thirdly, the majority - not you obviously - regard it as, by far Guns N' Roses' greatest album.To then dislike it to such a level appears to me to be unusual in the extreme. Hating Appetite does not leave you with many other Guns albums, and to see GN'R life must be surely be something of a hideous endurance test (GN'R played eight Appetite songs at their last show)?

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said there, but it just doesn't really matter that much to me? When I get tired of the comparatively few GnR songs we actually have (and I am often tired of them, especially the so called "classics" like most of the AfD songs or November Rain etc), I just don't listen to them for a while. I take a step back from GnR fandom and just listen to something else. There's tons of other music out there that I enjoy. And I still hope we're going to get new music sooner rather than later.

And no, seeing GnR life is definitely not a hideous endurance test. I actually saw them life in 2006 and I enjoyed it greatly, even though it was only Axl and his hired hands (plus Izzy, thankfully). Hearing a song in concert is a different experience than listening to one while at home. I wouldn't listen to Paradise City in my everyday life, but it's a great song for closing the show and has a lot of energy life. It's fun. And out of the 8 Appetite songs you mention I love or at least sort of like half of them, so it's not like it's a big issue. Which leaves ISE, Brownstone and OTGM (and My Michelle sometimes). Even though I personally find them boring or might not like them (and wouldn't listen to them ordinarily), they don't much bother me during a show. When I saw these songs performed 10 years ago, I didn't like them much more than I do now, but so what? I still enjoyed watching Axl (and Izzy... and Sebastian Bach...) perform them. I enjoy just being in the moment, watching people, just the entire atmosphere. I even sang along with the songs and I still would for the most part. Ideally, I'd of course like to see these songs replaced with songs I actually like, but that's most likely never gonna happen, and I won't let a handful of songs ruin my concert going experience.

And I like a lot of songs from past eras too, especially the 70s and the 80s. But whether I like or don't like songs isn't much influenced by the contexts or cultural situations these songs were written in, it's more of a case-by-case basis of my personal feelings and associations towards a particular song.

Edited by Lumikki

My feeling is that SOD and Madagascar are about Axl being down and out kind of thing. But he would perserve without Slash or whatever. So does it fit vibe of getting paid millions of dollars on the NITL tour. 

Twat- Axl said it was "the hardest fucker" to do live. Not really played that much in Nu Guns. Same goes for Prostitute. 

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Don't you see the relevance of them playing CD material? Slash and Duff putting their mark on it bodes very fucking well. It is a good sign of things to come.

I sympathise with the old timers who only want the older material and zero or very little CD, to an extent. But some of us don't feel that way, and clearly neither do Guns N' Roses. So why don't you give it a rest? Harden the fuck up.

I definitely belong to old school GN'R fanbase. That said, what you say here is spot on. I personally don't have an issue with the band playing CD material. I get why they are doing it. And it's likely working to a degree. For example, there are several CD songs that have grown on me this year. I never latched on to the album or the NuGNR band to the degree that some others have. I really only dug 3 or 4 songs. But because of the tour and the fact that they've been playing some of these songs, I've been actively listening to it again and my appreciation for it has grown. I really looked forward to (and enjoyed) hearing CITR yesterday, as that's one of the songs I didn't give the time of day to in years past but grew to love it the past several months.

I'm sure I'm far from the only fan to experience this with some of the CD material.

3 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

There's a lot of people on here who agree with me as far as no CD songs.  CD represents 20 years of Axl's failure and a slap in the face to the greatness this band was from 85-93.

And there are a lot of people here who like the CD songs added to the setlist... so? :shrugs:

CD does not represent any failure. It is a piece of art from an artist. It is his art, what he wanted to express and how he wanted it to be. The making of that album is not what prevented a reunion or a slap in the face to the band they were before. Everybody quitted almost a decade before CD was released. Don't try to blame something else for what was rotten from the beginning.

Duff and Slash wrote books about the whole debacle. Do they represent GNR failure too? Each one of them expressed their feelings about what happened in whatever way they could find. It took them all these years to heal. Maybe not a good deal for the fans but thats what it rolled. We have to accept what they have to offer now or just walk away for good.

3 hours ago, Tiffani said:

There's something for everyone in the setlist. I believe that's why there's so much contention among the fans. And no one type of fan is better than the other. For Killuridols, don't feel sorry for me and others who are older than you and were jamming to the band back in the 80's and wish to relive some of that excitement. I guess that's not what's hip, but hey...that is what's up for a lot of us, and I am not ashamed in the least. 

Speaking for myself, yes, I did lose interest when only Axl and a bunch of hired guns was the only thing remaining of the once unstoppable band that defined modern rock music to me at the time...the band I adored and defended at all costs. I lost interest during that time because after having actually experienced GN'R at their peak, the new Guns were simply a shell. So what Buckethead could play his ass off, he wasn't Slash. If that makes me a fair weather fan, make me sign and I'll wear it. Then look at how long we had to wait for Chinese Democracy, for crying out loud! Yes, I lost interest, but I still listened to AFD, Lies,  Spaghetti, and the Illusions during those years. Here's a fact...you can still love something or someone without liking a lot about it/them..

Feeling sorry for us old heads eh??

You Just wait until you're pushing 40, you'll be looking in the rear-view at times too. 

The fact is...the band is going to play whatever the hell that want. We can either go along for the ride or get off the bus. 

I didn't say one type of fan is better than the other. What I said is that people complaining about CD songs added to the setlist, because they only want to listen to the old material, should not be the ones deciding what's best for the band.

All of a sudden, a bunch of people who jumped off the boat when they saw the storm coming, are back now thinking they are entitled to demand this or that. And tell Axl he can't play his songs just because you dont like them. When 90% of the setlist is made of the songs you all want to listen to. Some people act like the band is their puppet and should do everything they want, with complete disregard of what the artist wants or feels. Selfishness at its best.

I dont think there are people much older than me here and I don't think this has to do with age but with attitude towards life and like I said before, with what type of fan you are. GN'R are very present in my life. Always were. I don't think of them as the band of my adolescence because I didn't leave them at that point. I have continued my life listening to them and other artists too, supporting CD, going to the nuGNR shows and being an active fan during those years. That was my take at all this. I didn't step down, I said "ok, let's see where this goes" and I won't deny it was a hard time but I didn't care because Axl means too much to me and I wanted to support an artist who gave me so much with his music, so I was willing to follow him and see what he had to show me this time. I wanted to understand everything that happened to him and why he was doing what he was doing or not doing. I never sat and waited in a chair, though. I hung around and I discovered new artists in the meantime.

I'm heading to 40 just like everybody else. Time doesn't stop for anyone who's still got blood pumping their heart. This is not about age, this is the kind of attitude you have towards life. Evidently, I'm not like you and that's ok. I don't live in the past, I move forward, I keep moving on but I don't run away. If I love someone I do my thing in the background and give them time and space but I'm never stuck in a hole waiting for things to happen or looking in the rear-view. I assume that's the best way to ruin your present.

• Like 1

I love Chinese Democracy but this tour is about playing the classics. There's a whole new audience coming to these shows because it's the "old" GNR and they want to see Axl and Slash play the songs they remembered, not a Chinese Democracy heavy set-list. 

I do like that they kept a couple of them thought. Slash and Duff's contributions give them a new energy and in a way they're new songs to the audience that checked out of GNR when Slash left. Maybe having Slash and Duff play them will add some legitimacy to them.

• Like 1

Everyone has an opinion. And thats all it is... An opinion. What they play is what they play. No reason to be upset, just enjoy the live music from a great fkn rock band.

That being said, my personal choice of a few songs i would love to hear live would be:

Locomotive

Twat

Perfect crime

Dont cry

My personal choice thats all.  GNFNR!!!!

2 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

I almost missed your quotes because they were alerted to me in between all the likes I am getting.

lol i wont even comment on what kind of people you're getting them from :lol:

leave it at that, dude.

Only chance I see is that I was a kid when I started to listen to GNR and you were probably 10 or 15 years older than me, hence your difficulties to empathize with the point of view of a younger person.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

ok, it is Guns N' Roses but every band has album that flopped and not many cared about. I don't think many of them continue to play four songs a night off of them. Bands have entire albums that they leave for the wayside. Not saying Axl needs to do that but how many songs have they played off CD this tour? 6? They haven't played that many off either Illusions album and those are far more popular. It isn't even close. LIES? Half the shows they don't even play 1 song from it. It just seems like Axl is beating a Dead Horse with CD.. Like he is still trying to justify it is great and sell it to people. It was a Guns album buy title but every one knows it was Axl's solo album.. His "vision". Play a couple songs off of it.. fine. But four a night is overkill when their are so many fan favorites that aren't being played. 

exactly!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

ok, it is Guns N' Roses but every band has album that flopped and not many cared about. I don't think many of them continue to play four songs a night off of them. Bands have entire albums that they leave for the wayside. Not saying Axl needs to do that but how many songs have they played off CD this tour? 6? They haven't played that many off either Illusions album and those are far more popular. It isn't even close. LIES? Half the shows they don't even play 1 song from it. It just seems like Axl is beating a Dead Horse with CD.. Like he is still trying to justify it is great and sell it to people. It was a Guns album buy title but every one knows it was Axl's solo album.. His "vision". Play a couple songs off of it.. fine. But four a night is overkill when their are so many fan favorites that aren't being played. 

... Then explain why they play 4 CD songs a night...

13 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

exactly!

You can agree but it's Axls logic, something Slash and Duff aren't exactly arguing, now are they? I get that there's a certain extent of this you guys want to re paint and justify but my point about this still being axls band at the end of the day still stands...

1 minute ago, Billsfan said:

... Then explain why they play 4 CD songs a night...

Fuck if I know lol

Just now, Billsfan said:

my point about this still being axls band at the end of the day still stands...

No argument there

• Like 1

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

I didn't say one type of fan is better than the other. What I said is that people complaining about CD songs added to the setlist, because they only want to listen to the old material, should not be the ones deciding what's best for the band.

All of a sudden, a bunch of people who jumped off the boat when they saw the storm coming, are back now thinking they are entitled to demand this or that. And tell Axl he can't play his songs just because you dont like them. When 90% of the setlist is made of the songs you all want to listen to. Some people act like the band is their puppet and should do everything they want, with complete disregard of what the artist wants or feels. Selfishness at its best.

I dont think there are people much older than me here and I don't think this has to do with age but with attitude towards life and like I said before, with what type of fan you are. GN'R are very present in my life. Always were. I don't think of them as the band of my adolescence because I didn't leave them at that point. I have continued my life listening to them and other artists too, supporting CD, going to the nuGNR shows and being an active fan during those years. That was my take at all this. I didn't step down, I said "ok, let's see where this goes" and I won't deny it was a hard time but I didn't care because Axl means too much to me and I wanted to support an artist who gave me so much with his music, so I was willing to follow him and see what he had to show me this time. I wanted to understand everything that happened to him and why he was doing what he was doing or not doing. I never sat and waited in a chair, though. I hung around and I discovered new artists in the meantime.

I'm heading to 40 just like everybody else. Time doesn't stop for anyone who's still got blood pumping their heart. This is not about age, this is the kind of attitude you have towards life. Evidently, I'm not like you and that's ok. I don't live in the past, I move forward, I keep moving on but I don't run away. If I love someone I do my thing in the background and give them time and space but I'm never stuck in a hole waiting for things to happen or looking in the rear-view. I assume that's the best way to ruin your present.

No, you did not say that one type of fan was better than the other however, your previous posts seemed to imply that. If I misinterpreted that, I'll be the first to apologize. 

I do agree that it is really useless to get our knickers in a bunch over set list selections because the band is going to play what they want. I'm just thrilled to have an opportunity to see 3 out of the 5 originals, and maybe Steven if he happens to sit in in Houston. I do however agree with Modano09: 

I love Chinese Democracy but this tour is about playing the classics. There's a whole new audience coming to these shows because it's the "old" GNR and they want to see Axl and Slash play the songs they remembered, not a Chinese Democracy heavy set-list. 

This makes sense for this particular tour, however as much as it makes sense if GN'R is headed towards recording and releasing new material with future tours to follow then some of the CD songs should be included because even though the originals weren't involved during that period, the material is still technically GN'R. I have no problem with CD as an album, there are gems there. I did not like the band line-up. Axl kept the band going but he turned GN'R into Menudo, which I had no absolutely no interest in. If that makes me a fair weather fan, so be it. This reminds me of the disconnect between fans in the KISS camp. There are fans who will never accept Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer wearing the makeup and there are those who are perfectly fine with it. You would be of the latter, just in the case of GN'R. That's not me, for whatever that's worth. 

I only pointed out age because your previous posts  seemed to point fingers at the fans who were around in the earlier days, obviously surpassing a certain age to fit into that category. Age is never a factor in art. Art is timeless. I listen to everything from Suicidal Tendencies to Celia Cruz to Prince to Chuck Berry to Kesha to Dottie West to The Isley Brothers to Outkast and EVERYTHING in between. 

And you're totally off the mark about me. I don't live in the past, however I appreciate it. And there is nothing wrong with Appetite era fans getting excited and feel nostalgic about this tour. It doesn't mean we're dwelling in the past. And no, we don't need your pity. 

• Like 3

I like how they are rotating different CD songs in and out of the set. I would like to see them continuing to do that. Play Catcher another time, put Sorry back in once, then switch to another CD song they haven't played yet. Maybe do the same with one of the other songs for a different Illusions/Appetite/Solo Album song to give the set list a little spice. That would keep the set list generic enough for the radio hit fans but also keep it at least a little intriguing for those of us who follow along at home.

I can't complain though. Just about the only thing they could do that would keep me from going on the Great Periscope hunt every show is if they decided they regretted not doing a TSI? tour and only played the songs off the TSI?. But even then I'd probably do the Great Periscope Hunt more days that not.   :(

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Axl Rose and Slash, with Duff, are back together. Do you really have to nit-pick the set list?  

1 hour ago, Tiffani said:

No, you did not say that one type of fan was better than the other however, your previous posts seemed to imply that. If I misinterpreted that, I'll be the first to apologize. 

I do agree that it is really useless to get our knickers in a bunch over set list selections because the band is going to play what they want. I'm just thrilled to have an opportunity to see 3 out of the 5 originals, and maybe Steven if he happens to sit in in Houston. I do however agree with Modano09: 

This makes sense for this particular tour, however as much as it makes sense if GN'R is headed towards recording and releasing new material with future tours to follow then some of the CD songs should be included because even though the originals weren't involved during that period, the material is still technically GN'R. I have no problem with CD as an album, there are gems there. I did not like the band line-up. Axl kept the band going but he turned GN'R into Menudo, which I had no absolutely no interest in. If that makes me a fair weather fan, so be it. This reminds me of the disconnect between fans in the KISS camp. There are fans who will never accept Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer wearing the makeup and there are those who are perfectly fine with it. You would be of the latter, just in the case of GN'R. That's not me, for whatever that's worth. 

I only pointed out age because your previous posts  seemed to point fingers at the fans who were around in the earlier days, obviously surpassing a certain age to fit into that category. Age is never a factor in art. Art is timeless. I listen to everything from Suicidal Tendencies to Celia Cruz to Prince to Chuck Berry to Kesha to Dottie West to The Isley Brothers to Outkast and EVERYTHING in between. 

And you're totally off the mark about me. I don't live in the past, however I appreciate it. And there is nothing wrong with Appetite era fans getting excited and feel nostalgic about this tour. It doesn't mean we're dwelling in the past. And no, we don't need your pity. 

What you quoted in red color is exactly where the mistake lies. The mistake fans from the old era make, that is. 

When the official announcement of the return of Slash and Duff was made, the press release never mentioned "reunion" or "classic era". It was worded out as "regrouping" of the "iconic lineup". The only names included in the PR were Slash and Duff. There were never promises of Izzy or Adler or Sorum or anyone else. The person you quoted is wrong and they are basically lying because there is no official message from the band where you can quote them saying this tour "is about playing the classics". Truth is not much was revealed regarding who were the other players in the band or what kind of setlist it was going to be. So making up that this tour is about playing the classics and only the classics it is basically spreading erroneous information.

It's not true either that the setlist is "CD heavy". They started playing only 3 songs from CD and now upgraded to 4, but there's still other 20 songs that belong to the "classic era", including all the radio hits the casuals are eager to listen to. Complaining about barely a handful of CD songs in the setlist is definitely a "hater" kind of bitching that makes no sense at all.

Regarding the members of the previous lineups, I never felt enough disdain for them as to avoid going to a show if they ever came near my town. Seeing Axl was a bigger reward for me to look after, rather than sink myself into disgust for some guys who are not criminals, just musicians who were granted the opportunity to play in a great band. Maybe it plays a big factor that I live in Argentina and it is not very often that we have the chance to see artists of Axl's caliber, for which every time it happens, we feel very grateful and don't pass on the opportunity just like that. Perhaps that is why they love coming here and are so fond of our audiences. They know we genuinely love what they do and are loyal to them. Every show for me was amazing, I have no complains about the live shows the nuGNR lineup put on because they sounded great every time.

As for age and all that, I repeat, to me is not about how old you are but what kind of approach you've taken in your life. I was around in the 90s and lived the "old era" too, not the AFD/Lies one, the UYI one, so I guess I know where I'm standing in time and place. It seems that we are just different when it comes to remembering those days. I don't feel nostalgic because I moved on with Axl. People feel nostalgic of something that it is not there anymore. I grew up, he grew up, he grew older, I'm older too and I don't miss what I know it's gone and it's not coming back. I like who he is now, the artist he's become and how well he's doing this year after so much pain. You won't see me crying over his photos of when he was 28 years old or watching old videos from the shows in the 80s-90s. I'm looking forward to see him in November again after 5 years, not to be transported to 1992 but to enjoy the songs that have become the soundtrack of my life.

And I wasn't talking about you when in my previous posts I mentioned feeling sorry for some fans attending the shows. I don't know if you have read this but just in case you haven't, I'll paste the link to this article that I read the other day and I couldn't help but feeling pity for the woman who literally shit her pants during the Philly show and everyone else who, according to this magazine, in light of "reliving" their youth have had to stoop so low.

http://www.phillymag.com/ticket/2016/07/15/guns-n-roses-review-2016-tour/#rVXyIhBsfwfHdO0u.99

• Like 1