So what happens to GNR when the reunion tour is over?

8 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

If they tour the US again anytime soon, you'll see lower sales.

Part of the appeal of legacy acts like The Rolling Stones or AC/DC and as it stands, GNR, is that they don't tour often, so then it becomes a special thing. You think, "well shit honey, we better go see the Stones, we may not have the chance again". It justifies the higher price.

Everyone that has been to these shows have been blown away though. I haven't seen or heard one bad review. They could easily sell out Arenas with more reasonable tickets prices on a consistent basis. Stadiums no.. But Arenas for sure..

4 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I hope we dont get another greatest hits. I hate greatest hit albums and compilations. 

It's too late for another greates hits album now anyway - it would have made sense to release it before the first leg of the NITL tour to reminde the casuals of all the hits and fill the US stadiums.

I fear the only release we will get (within the next 2 years) is a live DVD of the current tour.

A 30th anniversary tour for AFD wouldn't be a huge success without Adler/Izzy - all of the well known songs have been played on this current tour...

Would be a much better idea to do some small shows with the original five and also release it as DVD in 2018

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

Tough to tell really. I kind of think that they are at least playing around with musical ideas during their off days or after shows. I am more of a live music person these days. I mean I would love to hear great new music from Guns N' Roses but I'd rather see them continue to put on stellar shows than release sub par music. 

An Appetite anniversary tour would be great. I would love to see them finish what they started with Steven and Izzy on board.. Smaller venues or I would even fly to Vegas again to see that if they did residency. As long as I continue to get to see them live I am happy..

As for new music? That is tricky. I truly think Chinese Democracy is awful and I wouldn't want it to sound anything like that. I mean a couple songs like Street Of Dreams could work but not all that industrial copy and pasted on top of drum loop garbage. I definitely think Axl, Slash and Duff could come up or rework some existing stuff to sound good though. How much would Fortus be involved? His whammy bar noodling is the antithesis of what Guns N' Roses guitar sounds were always about. He is a shredding, posing, session player and I have zero interest in hearing him on a Guns N' Roses album. As much as I and others have shit on Frank he doesn't worry me. He has improved noticeably. Hearing Ashley Simpsons background vocals and Synthesizer doesn't scream like a good Gn'R album to me either. Who knows what her role will be.

I guess we will have to wait and see. As Slash said, he didn't put much forethought into all of this and I don't think any of them did. They are feeling out as it goes and it seems to be going really well at the moment.  

I think a remastered Appetite with a bonus disc some Live, old unreleased stuff and a few new songs to go along with an Appetite anniversary tour would be awesome. But 2017 is only a few months away and they will most likely still be in the NITL tour...

Axl's letter to the HOF really makes him look kinda dumb right now 

• Like 2

The reason Steven and Izzy are not on this tour is because they are saving them for the original line up.

The regurgitate our early years tour.

Unless there is new music where else do they have to go, if isn't the AFD5 ?

I would consider an AFD5 tour next year with no new music and a similar set list to now to be milking it. perhaps  this is why so many CD song are being played currently so that it can differ to anniversary tour.

12 minutes ago, Archtop said:

The reason Steven and Izzy are not on this tour is because they are saving them for the original line up.

The regurgitate our early years tour.

Unless there is new music where else do they have to go, if isn't the AFD5 ?

I would consider an AFD5 tour next year with no new music and a similar set list to now to be milking it. perhaps  this is why so many CD song are being played currently so that it can differ to anniversary tour.

i doubt this is what axl wants but in the back of the mind this may seem like the most likely scenario 

i think in old age they will all have to get along and I would be happy with the 5 doing all of apeittie lies and steven era UYI songs 

every time i watch this version of guns doing songs i'm very impressed by the 3 putting in their all - then i hear frank fucking up legendary songs, fortus being overbearingly not Izzy, Dizzy useless as usual and well I don't mind looking at Melissa as she is getting hotter and hotter 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

2 hours ago, radioflyer said:

2. Axl/Slash/Duff release a new GNR album and tour behind it. 

This is obviously the best result, but record companies are not going to pay millions of dollars for a new record by ANYONE in a world of streaming and disposable music.

I'm being optimistic that they are touring to afford a big budget recording of a new album. Of course they are selling this as the reunion tour, and of course they want money, but maybe they're getting founds to a new album, promotion and stuff too. 
After the nightmare Axl and all the labels involved had with CD, maybe they're going on the do yourself way of things now. Who knows? 

1 minute ago, default_ said:

I'm being optimistic that they are touring to afford a big budget recording of a new album. Of course they are selling this as the reunion tour, and of course they want money, but maybe they're getting founds to a new album, promotion and stuff too. 
After the nightmare Axl and all the labels involved had with CD, maybe they're going on the do yourself way of things now. Who knows? 

i seriously doubt axl wants to work beyond doing songs that have already been written, his interview in China Exchange was very telling, when new music was brought up, he said that slash and duff liked the old CD 2 stuff 

without izzy no new writing 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

1 minute ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i seriously doubt axl wants to work beyond doing songs that have already been written, his interview in China Exchange was very telling, when new music was brought up, he said that slash and duff liked the old CD 2 stuff 

without izzy no new writing 

So? Its the same thing, if he wants to re-record it with Slash/Duff/Melissa they'll need to rent big budget studios (as these songs have been recorded with that technology), they'll need to promote the album, they'll need to pay for lots of stuff. 

3 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

Nobody pays for music anymore, so what is the point for them to do this?

Theres a market for everything and if Guns N' Roses want to keep as a band for a while, they need to release something sooner or later or the interest will start to quickly fade. 
Everyone knows that Axl was strugling with nuGNR, tours werent selling, people didnt had interest anymore, the only reason this tour is selling is because it is a reunion tour but once it is over it will be the same again.

The Stones could've stoped working on new material in the 80's if they wanted and they would still have material to tour to this day, thats not the case with Guns N' Roses with three full-albuns, an EP and an album that most of the fanbase considers as an Axl solo album or don't care about. 

I'm not saying it is going to happen, but I'm pretty sure future will not be the brightest if it doesnt. 

9 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i doubt this is what axl wants but in the back of the mind this may seem like the most likely scenario 

i think in old age they will all have to get along and I would be happy with the 5 doing all of apeittie lies and steven era UYI songs 

every time i watch this version of guns doing songs i'm very impressed by the 3 putting in their all - then i hear frank fucking up legendary songs, fortus being overbearingly not Izzy, Dizzy useless as usual and well I don't mind looking at Melissa as she is getting hotter and hotter 

I would love to see the original line up and Matt as well, 

I saw the China Exchange interview and came away feeling that new music was not on the cards.

So the only scenario I can see for this to continue with interest,  is an anniversary tour, I would just feel slightly duped if that is the plan.

Admittedly I would get over it pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

Either extreme is possible, from a full AfD reunion plus new music, to retirement.

I find it hard to believe that Izzy will not be involved in some capacity. Else, this current line-up has to release new music if it's to have a future. Though maybe Steven and Izzy can be in the studio even if they're not on the road.

There are a lot of possibilities. It depends on what they can work out.

Right now though, I'd say option 3 is on the cards. They're going to tour and tour.

1 hour ago, Archtop said:

I would love to see the original line up and Matt as well, 

I saw the China Exchange interview and came away feeling that new music was not on the cards.

So the only scenario I can see for this to continue with interest,  is an anniversary tour, I would just feel slightly duped if that is the plan.

Admittedly I would get over it pretty quickly. 

agree to that - it's better than axl just folding 

however i kind of think he's only doing this for the money and the peace that has been attained or the healing that is occuring is a result of the no options left clause 

i would like to think that all the wasted time and years will be somehow recuperated with new music 

GNR could have superceded all rock groups 

they could've made any number of different albums from : raggae, country, rap duos with eazy, maybe a grunge one and now they just really need Izzy to write anything cool 

izzy by far created the best appealing and quality music post UYI of all GNR members 

• Like 1

A stadium tour is only feasible one time only.  Then it is back to arenas and sheds.  Probably doing what the vast majority of bands do now, which is co-headline tours.  Bands like Aerosmith, KISS, Def Lep, and Motley all do co-headlining tours to keep the butts in the seats.

I'm going to just enjoy the fact that they reunited for a tour in which the shows are great. When they announced this tour it was just that so that's what I'm going with...I'm not going to sit here with the what if's...if they keep going...then cool...but if not hey this reunion was great !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jboogie said:

I'm going to just enjoy the fact that they reunited for a tour in which the shows are great. When they announced this tour it was just that so that's what I'm going with...I'm not going to sit here with the what if's...if they keep going...then cool...but if not hey this reunion was great !

well said 

• Like 1

I'm thinking there will eventually be a new album.  As far as a new album by AC/DC featuring Axl, I'm not so sure. In the most recent Rolling Stones article, it seemed like Angus Young was contemplating retirement. It seems like he has a LOT to process. 

I haven't the faintest idea what they will do. I wonder if they even know or if they are taking it one step at a time feeling things out as they go. This leg is successful lets get the next one going and finalize plans for the following one. And maybe jam a little and talk music in between times.

Axl, at least, is open to new music. But it being Axl, who knows if he'd be willing to share any newly created music with fans. 

Duff and Slash may have to think long and hard about writing with a music hoarder :P 

Though truthfully, I think if Slash or Duff write with him then there is a better chance of any possible music seeing the light of day. Partially because I think Duff & Slash will have a enough weight behind them these days to convince Axl from tinkering too much and also because I think the label would be more open to backing something with both Slash and Axl on it.