Bands similar to GNR for when you want music??

4 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

All the bands that fucking influenced them put together.  This thread is fucking awful. Cheese metal garbage by posers. The grunge bands had way more in common with Guns than these poofters.

I agree, cmon guys bands like Dangerous Toys that obviously had the guy channeling Axl way too fucking hard, and Danger Danger wtf? Might aswell name Poison then

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I agree, cmon guys bands like Dangerous Toys that obviously had the guy channeling Axl way too fucking hard, and Danger Danger wtf? Might aswell name Poison then

Booooo. Lol. Dangerous Toys was way more gritty than Poison could ever be however I can see your point about Jason McMaster channeling Axl. 

What do you think about White Trash though? Ever heard of them? They were my first choice. I linked some of their songs on the first page. 

7 hours ago, Tiffani said:

Hell yea. Live and Dangerous is one hell of an album. I think I'll take it for a spin on the turntable later. 

"Still Live and Dangerous" is even better as it came from the two 77 Philly Tower Theater shows and is not all stepped on in the studio with overdubs and redone vocals..

https://www.amazon.com/Still-Dangerous-Tower-Theatre-Philadelphia/dp/B001QWDTUY/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1471212624&sr=1-1&keywords=thin+lizzy+still+dangerous

Also recommend this offical Lizzy live from 1975. Very raw and you can see the Robbo/ Gorham band in its infancy

https://www.amazon.com/UK-Tour-75-Thin-Lizzy/dp/B001BS4R9A

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiffani said:

Booooo. Lol. Dangerous Toys was way more gritty than Poison could ever be however I can see your point about Jason McMaster channeling Axl. 

What do you think about White Trash though? Ever heard of them? They were my first choice. I linked some of their songs on the first page. 

Offtopic but Poison did actually get kinda gritty when CC Deville left the band and Richie Kotzen and Blues Saraceno replaced him. Both those albums Native Tongue and Crack A Smile are way more listenable than the 80s fluff they made and actually could be called hard rock. Good 2 albums.

19 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I spent a long time on that quest after discovering GNR. Some recommendations: Steelhearts Tangled In Reins album. That's pretty much as GNR-sound like as you could get for an album, very underrated imho, one of the last good hard rock albums from the era before Grunge. Giants Time To Burn, Great Whites Hooked aswell as Psycho City (they were label mates with GNR), Mr. Bigs Lean Into It, all 3 Burning Rain albums and all Thunder albums (especially Laughing On Judgement Day).

Dude tangled in reins is a fuckin great record. Matijevics vocals are insane. One of my favorite hard rock records of all time

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GNRfanx6 said:

Dude tangled in reins is a fuckin great record. Matijevics vocals are insane. One of my favorite hard rock records of all time

Yea same. Shame that style of rock went out the window just when it got really good. Hungry by XYZ is another good one released around the same time.

Lots of suggestions to work through.  Thanks everybody!

On August 14, 2016 at 1:26 AM, Kickingthehabit said:

Already into these guys ever since seeing them open for Slash. Without a doubt in the top 3 live acts I've seen perform!! I wish they were still a band, but Alex (the trumpet player) has a band called the Skullx, who are basically the Foxy Shazam spinoff.

18 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Offtopic but Poison did actually get kinda gritty when CC Deville left the band and Richie Kotzen and Blues Saraceno replaced him. Both those albums Native Tongue and Crack A Smile are way more listenable than the 80s fluff they made and actually could be called hard rock. Good 2 albums.

I am honestly not much familiar with their music after CC left. I am intrigued now. 

Oh, wow.
So, theres ppl here who actually believes that MUSICALLY grunge is the closest genre to GNR? Wow. 

As a fact we will never see a band that does the same thing as GNR 'cause they are a huge mix between all the shit they got influences from, from Rolling Stones, Queen and Elton John to Led Zeppelin, Hendrix and Thin Lizzy, what they did no one else did, but they are way closer to hard rock and heavy metal than alternative rock. Alternative rock is a different kind of beast and musically it has nothing to do with GNR music. Not even the poppiest of their songs. 

Different personalities, Different ideologies, different perspectives of the world, different market, different MUSIC. GNR is Rock N' Roll, grunge is something else.