The Official SOCCER Thread 2016/2017

PappyTron

21 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Arsenal got money the old fashioned way, through achievement, we never had no billionaires cash injection, if anything Arsenals investors take money out of the fuckin' club.

I read they are one of few clubs that aren't in debt and make a 50 mil profit or something. But I think the board keep the money. It's run as a business rather than to win trophies. So of the billiinaires just want to have fun getting wrecked at the games. Like Abramovitvh just wants to party really. It's like fantasy football with money stolen from the russian people. It's like he went rogue once he won the lottery. 

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Complete prawn sandwich club - well - more like 'escargot washed down with a glass of Châteauneuf-du-Pape' club.

I bet they have bidets in the emirates' toilets haha?

(I'm just winding you up. Too easy.)

I'm very difficult to wind up like that.  You wanna wind me in up in a footballing sense, the only way to do it right now is to point out that we were second a coupla days ago and now even Tottenham are above us, now THAT winds me up.  Very very greatly :lol:

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh football is fucked up the arse as a sport. Completely. There is just nothing left now. Money, greed and diving foreigners have destroyed it I'm afraid. I stopped watching years ago. Football and boxing have been buggered up the arse.

True it's empty in terms of supporting a club. Managers switch sides, players as well. No loyalty. But I still think the intensity is there on the pitch. But it comes from the players without contracts. Or last of a dying breed players. Walcott is still football brainwashed but Sterling has a hair salon in his house. It's close to even the players not caring. Anelka syndrome is rife. Players going to China for 30 mil rather than trying to win prem. Football is more like a global religion than sport now. They need a new pope of fifa after blatter got impeached. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

True it's empty in terms of supporting a club. Managers switch sides, players as well. No loyalty. But I still think the intensity is there on the pitch. But it comes from the players without contracts. Or last of a dying breed players. Walcott is still football brainwashed but Sterling has a hair salon in his house. It's close to even the players not caring. Anelka syndrome is rife. Players going to China for 30 mil rather than trying to win prem. Football is more like a global religion than sport now. They need a new pope of fifa after blatter got impeached. 

Hypothetically, if I was into football which I no longer am really, I honestly could only find myself supporting non-league or lower league teams. I just cannot relate to the vast corporate Johnny foreigner monstrosities that have replaced all of the top flight clubs. Morpeth Town or Blyth Spartans would probably be my club.

6 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Proper football that! Gotta love a bit of lower/non league football 

I'm not sure Coventry are actually non league yet but they are trying to get real. 

I like watching the sunday pub leagues. Every challenge is an assault. Players smoking on the pitch. I saw a goalie with a can of lager. Always a woman on the sideline screaming Fucking kick it!!!

But Championship football seems better to watch. Still a bit of tic tac but there's more Utd in the 90s style football. Full backs over lapping deep crosses to the back post etc. long range efforts going into row z. 

Edited by wasted

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But they did fuck all with it from memory, didn't they? They had the best two English players of the modern era and did not win anything.

They lost to Coventry in the FA Cup. But that was Gary Mabbut and Clive Owen I think. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm very difficult to wind up like that.  You wanna wind me in up in a footballing sense, the only way to do it right now is to point out that we were second a coupla days ago and now even Tottenham are above us, now THAT winds me up.  Very very greatly :lol:

What about not winning anything for a decade?

My friend went bankrupt following Arsenal to the champ league final and they lost. Literally he went bankrupt. He lost his job and took loans out going to see those games. 

18 minutes ago, wasted said:

What about not winning anything for a decade?

My friend went bankrupt following Arsenal to the champ league final and they lost. Literally he went bankrupt. He lost his job and took loans out going to see those games. 

Two FA Cups...i know, blows your mind eh? :lol:

The UEFA cup had some cache didn't it, like all the cup winners in a knock out. The Europa league doesn't have the glamor. It's just a crap version of champs league. 

The last time the Fa Cup mattered was Utd Everton. The Whiteside one. 

Texaco Cup was football, Texaco Trophy was ODI cricket (set in England). Oil giant spread its wings. The football competition was a sort of British Isles only champions league thingy, which saw the best domestic sides from England, Scotland etc compete.

I love the un-pc sponsored competitions from yesteryear, the Benson and Hedges Cup, Rothmans Four-Nations Cup and John Player Cup. Gillette Cup also.

Oil, fags and razor blades. It was a manlier era.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Texaco Cup was football, Texaco Trophy was ODI cricket (set in England). Oil giant spread its wings. The football competition was a sort of British Isles only champions league thingy, which saw the best domestic sides from England, Scotland etc compete.

I love the un-pc sponsored competitions from yesteryear, the Benson and Hedges Cup, Rothmans Four-Nations Cup and John Player Cup. Gillette Cup also.

Oil, fags and razor blades. It was a manlier era.

Rothman Regals, proper northerners fags.

7 hours ago, Chris1989 said:

I didn't mention black, you're the one who was triggered snowflake.

I know that you're a Chelsea supporter, but surely even you can't be so dense to not understand why I mentioned Ty being black. I mean, I know you'd love to keep him off the train, but don't feign naivety.

7 hours ago, wasted said:

The UEFA cup had some cache didn't it, like all the cup winners in a knock out. The Europa league doesn't have the glamor. It's just a crap version of champs league. 

The last time the Fa Cup mattered was Utd Everton. The Whiteside one. 

That was the cup winners cup. Arsenal won that in 94. The tactics were to keep it nil nil away and then nick a goal at Highbury. I loved Arsenal in them days. The famous back four with Limpar, Merson, Jensen and Ray Parlour behind Campbell and Wrighty. I even had that vile top with yellow and black arrows all over it :lol: