Izzy Stradlin comments on reunion

53 minutes ago, Pink Rose said:

How long has Slash been sober?  I don't think he has even 10 years sober.  And Adler has 2-3 years now....  Slash really isn't all that far ahead of Adler.

Yeah but Slash would kill himself after a week if he goes back to something. He won't go there

13 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I love how Izzy is seen as unreliable WHEN HE ATTENDED EVERY SINGLE GNR SHOW UNTIL THE DAY HE QUIT.

How many shows did the redhead cancel or throw a hissy fit at ? Exactly. And he's seen as a model of reliability by some. The same Axl Pose who had his cover band and him bottled off the stage in Ireland during his last tour for showing up 3 hrs late.

Yeah, he's a paragon of reliability. But Izzy on the other hand, can't depend on that guy.

The lunacy of the Axl/nu guns fan is only rivaled by Michael Jackson fans

I don't think you can class somebody that quits a band while they are starting a world tour, as 'reliable'. I fully agree that Axl is a complete twat, but Izzy seems to have always done what he wants, when he wants. I personally think that is great that he knows what he wants from life, but I wouldn't call that reliable. The reliable people I know are the ones that hang in there through thick or thin, like Duff or Slash for example.  

4 minutes ago, Blunoze said:

I don't think you can class somebody that quits a band while they are starting a world tour, as 'reliable'. I fully agree that Axl is a complete twat, but Izzy seems to have always done what he wants, when he wants. I personally think that is great that he knows what he wants from life, but I wouldn't call that reliable. The reliable people I know are the ones that hang in there through thick or thin, like Duff or Slash for example.  

I will tell you who is reliable and unreliable. 

Slash and Duff left when a new album was supposed to be made.

Josh Freese left in middle of making the album, even before the first show happened.

Bucket head also left in between making an album, he wanted some coup shit in the recording studio and did god knows what vulgar stuff. 

The best buddy who saved GNR Paul Tobias also left cause supposedly he was scared of touring.

When Axl's dream album released, Robin Fink left when a tour for the album was supposed to happen.

Bumblefoot also informed them that he is leaving in middle of the tour.

Ashba left cause for him Sixx Am was more important. 

Tommy had enough and The Replacements were more important for him.

Now well lets see who is reliable and unreliable. 

2 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I will tell you who is reliable and unreliable. 

Slash and Duff left when a new album was supposed to be made.

Josh Freese left in middle of making the album, even before the first show happened.

Bucket head also left in between making an album, he wanted some coup shit in the recording studio and did god knows what vulgar stuff. 

The best buddy who saved GNR Paul Tobias also left cause supposedly he was scared of touring.

When Axl's dream album released, Robin Fink left when a tour for the album was supposed to happen.

Bumblefoot also informed them that he is leaving in middle of the tour.

Ashba left cause for him Sixx Am was more important. 

Tommy had enough and The Replacements were more important for him.

Now well lets see who is reliable and unreliable. 

Ashba could have quit because of the reunion. Bumblefoot at least finished the tour and didn't leave them high and dry. But I'll agree with everything else.. I don't think 2014 was the first time Tommy stepped aside to have duff fill in. And I kinda thought izzy had good reason, sobriety and his health made the most sense to me. 

To add to your list though: Don't forget about Brain. Brain quit literally in the middle of a leg, for Frank, just to never return. He had a good reason at the time but, again he never returned. Had he returned we would've been done with Frank a long time ago I'm sure.. 

3 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

To add to your list though: Don't forget about Brain. Brain quit literally in the middle of a leg, for Frank, just to never return. He had a good reason at the time but, again he never returned. Had he returned we would've been done with Frank a long time ago I'm sure.. 

When I was writing, I thought of Brain, but I forgot to write it lol.

Yeah he literally left in the middle of the tour in 2006, I guess he wanted to come back, but it seemed it dint work out, he worked on the remix album too, but its in the vault. I hope Axl payed Brain for the studio work lol 

4 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

For years the narrative on this and other boards was that Slash and Duff had abandoned Axl. That was practically Gospel.  Now they were there through thick and thin. lol

...and Izzy was this ''loyal childhood friend (of Rose) who played with Axl in 2006 and 2012 thus demonstrating that he belongs to the 'camp', who doesn't lie and slander like the cancer'' - Axl fans and flip-flopping!!

1 minute ago, shjtjustgotreal said:

asking to be paid the same amount as someone who does most of the live show works when all you've ever done on stage was standing there and strumming chords (sometimes they're not even in the song) is just dumb :D 

Absolutely hopeless logic. Izzy's stage persona is probably a great deal more active than some of the most famous acts in history, case in point The Beatles, Oasis, Bob Dylan, et al. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Blunoze said:

Slash and Duff quit the band dude. They didn't stick it out for Chinese Democracy. Not the most convincing argument to prove Izzy is unreliable.

As for Izzy, by his own admission, he left the band once Axl made it clear that he was going to run GnR and Izzy would have no veto power in decision making. That and Axl giving him a contract to turn him into an employee and lower his publishing percentage -- how could he not quit? Izzy was forced out of the band. Plain and simple.

I also suspect Slash had his part to play in minimizing Izzy's influence in the band.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Slash and Duff quit the band dude. They didn't stick it out for Chinese Democracy. Not the most convincing argument to prove Izzy is unreliable.

As for Izzy, by his own admission, he left the band once Axl made it clear that he was going to run GnR and Izzy would have no veto power in decision making. That and Axl giving him a contract to turn him into an employee and lower his publishing percentage -- how could he not quit? Izzy was forced out of the band. Plain and simple.

I also suspect Slash had his part to play in minimizing Izzy's influence in the band.

Izzy was distancing himself from the band well before he left. Everyone has confirmed this. He wanted to stay sober and he didn't want to be hanging around Slash and Duff while they were drunk/high waiting for Axl to go on stage. He didn't enjoy touring sober and he quit before the tour was over. That was his decision. Nobody forced him out.  Slash and Duff quit when they weren't getting anywhere on a new album, not in the middle of a tour, and they didn't give up their rights to the GNR name. 

33 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

When I was writing, I thought of Brain, but I forgot to write it lol.

Yeah he literally left in the middle of the tour in 2006, I guess he wanted to come back, but it seemed it dint work out, he worked on the remix album too, but its in the vault. I hope Axl payed Brain for the studio work lol 

Yeah apparently Axl really, REALLY likes Frank. Must like to hooray for tolerance! his own fans :P 

17 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Izzy was distancing himself from the band well before he left. Everyone has confirmed this. He wanted to stay sober and he didn't want to be hanging around Slash and Duff while they were drunk/high waiting for Axl to go on stage.

Well? This is a valid reason. We are told Slash and Duff are sober so it is a reason which is now completely academic

19 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Slash and Duff quit when they weren't getting anywhere on a new album, not in the middle of a tour,

They still quit. I do not see the moral difference between quitting while touring and quitting while making an album!

19 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

they didn't give up their rights to the GNR name

Ehh, yes they did.

1 minute ago, shotsfired cro said:

Shit how many useless pages of letters and time spent for nothing.

Fact, there was a band. called Axl/Slash/Duff/Izzy/Adler, they recorded two  albums.

Then Adler was ditched for endless druging and Matt joined.

The band featuring Matt recorded 2 best albums in the history of the band.

Ax goes mad, doesn't sound check, comes late to the shows, Izzy goes out, Gilby comes in.

Slash/Duff/Ax/Matt/Gilby/Dizzy tour world for two years before Ax goes entirely mad a fires everyone.

Ax has no friends left and hires cover band. Period.

6 years of work in 6 sentences. Not bad lol 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well? This is a valid reason. We are told Slash and Duff are sober so it is a reason which is now completely academic

They still quit. I do not see the moral difference between quitting while touring and quitting while making an album!

Ehh, yes they did.

You don't think there's a difference between quitting when you have commitments lined-up and quitting when there's nothing going on and nothing on the horizon? And they didn't give up their rights to the GNR name. They agreed that Axl would be able to keep the name and continue on as Guns N'Roses without them but they still retained certain rights to the name and how the GNR brand was managed. That's why Axl needed Slash and/or Duff's permission for certain things, or why old logos were phased out and not used on merchandise until now. 

Izzy walked away, on his own, 26 years ago and cashed out. Now that the guys who managed the GNR brand have decided to reunite and go on a huge money making tour, Izzy expects to stroll back in and get what they're getting. That's unrealistic. 

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

Izzy was distancing himself from the band well before he left. Everyone has confirmed this. He wanted to stay sober and he didn't want to be hanging around Slash and Duff while they were drunk/high waiting for Axl to go on stage. He didn't enjoy touring sober and he quit before the tour was over. That was his decision. Nobody forced him out.  Slash and Duff quit when they weren't getting anywhere on a new album, not in the middle of a tour, and they didn't give up their rights to the GNR name. 

You are cherrypicking your facts as usual.

Again, as per Izzy's interview with Rolling Stone, he felt like he had no say in the band affairs any more and thus distanced himself. The infamous Axl contract to demote him was the final straw and he quit. The fact that every show there was a near riot from Axl either being late or a no show because he was playing slots, looking at fireworks or staying at home to watch a basketball game didn't help. When Izzy tried to address this, he found out via MTV that Dave Navarro was replacing him in the band.

If you want to blame Izzy for leaving that's your prerogative but it's clear to many fans that Axl made his life miserable enough that he felt he had no choice but to quit. Axl being unreliable as usual is the core problem here. 

It also didn't help that Alan Niven, Izzy's friend, was fired by Axl before he consulted the other band members. Doug Goldstein, Axl's sycophant manager admitted recently in a podcast interview that "perhaps" he may have favored Axl too much in management decisions and apologized to Duff and Slash publicly like the cowardly ass kisser that he is.

Duff quit because he couldn't take Axl's not showing up to rehearsals or showing up at midnight and expecting Duff to play till early morning when he had a young child to get home to. Again, Axl being an unreliable twat.

Ditto w/ Slash. Axl not showing up to rehearsals or even showing up to record SFTD with the band -- turning down all new songs Slash presented and refusing to do any festivals to keep the band relevant when the grunge bands were taking over GnR's turf....just Axl being unreliable as usual. The contract Slash was given by Axl was just the final straw. a la Izzy.

All of this is corroborated by Duff and Slash's books and Izzy's print interviews. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 4

Just now, RONIN said:

You are cherrypicking your facts as usual.

Again, as per Izzy's interview with Rolling Stone, he felt like he no say in the band affairs any more and thus distanced himself. The infamous Axl contract to demote him was the final straw and he quit. The fact that every show there was a near riot because Axl was playing slots, looking at fireworks or staying at home to watch a basketball game didn't help. When Izzy tried to address this, he found out via my that Dave Navarro was replacing him in the band. If you want to blame Izzy for leaving that's your prerogative but it's clear to many fans that Axl made his life miserable enough that he felt he had no choice but to quit. Axl being unreliable as usual is the core problem here. 

It also didn't help that Alan Niven, Izzy's friend, was fired by Axl before he consulted the other band members. Doug Goldstein, Axl's sycophant manager admitted recently in a podcast interview that "perhaps" he may have favored Axl too much in management decisions and apologized to Duff and Slash publicly like the cowardly ass kisser that he is.

Duff quit because he couldn't take Axl's not showing up to rehearsals or showing up at midnight and expecting Duff to play till early morning when he had a young child to get home to. Again, Axl being an unreliable twat.

Ditto w/ Slash. Axl not showing up to rehearsals or even showing up to record SFTD with the band -- turning down all new songs Slash presented and refusing to do any festivals to keep the band relevant when the grunge bands were taking over GnR's turf....just Axl being unreliable as usual. The contract Slash was given by Axl was just the final straw. a la Izzy.

All of this is corroborated by Duff and Slash's books and Izzy's print interviews. 

He could have quit because he didn't like the fruit basket in the dressing room, it doesn't matter. He quit and negotiated a buyout that essentially washed his hands of GNR going forward. It seemed to suit him just fine up until he realized the guys who didn't cash-out were about to cash-in. 

7 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

You don't think there's a difference between quitting when you have commitments lined-up and quitting when there's nothing going on and nothing on the horizon?

Albums are a commitment, a commitment to the record company funding the sessions, your fellow band members and engineering staff. Who was funding the sessions at The Complex? Geffen-Interscope.

8 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

And they didn't give up their rights to the GNR name. They agreed that Axl would be able to keep the name and continue on as Guns N'Roses without them

I.e. they gave up their rights to the name.

The rest of your post consists of Slash and Duff's involvement in licenses and merchandising. Yes, it must have been a hard task for Messrs. Slash and Duffy, signing off on all of those t-shirts. None of this of course has - or needn't have - anything to do with (potentially) reuniting for a world tour - the money would be derived from gate receipts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Albums are a commitment, a commitment to the record company funding the sessions, your fellow band members and engineering staff. Who was funding the sessions at The Complex? Geffen-Interscope.

I.e. they gave up their rights to the name.

The rest of your post consists of Slash and Duff's involvement in licenses and merchandising. Yes, it must have been a hard task for Messrs. Slash and Duffy, signing off on all of those t-shirts. None of this of course has - or needn't have - anything to do with (potentially) reuniting for a world tour - the money would be derived from gate receipts.

The point is Duff and Slash retained some interest in the GNR name. Izzy didn't. That was Izzy's choice. He washed his hands of GNR 26 years ago and now that he sees money in it, he wants back in. 

8 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

The point is Duff and Slash retained some interest in the GNR name. Izzy didn't. That was Izzy's choice. He washed his hands of GNR 26 years ago and now that he sees money in it, he wants back in. 

There was money in it (actually a lot)  also when he left, and he left anyways, I don't think money alone is the reason why he is not back this time, to be honest.

Edited by Darkenchantress
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

My assumption from Izzy's tweet (and personal/band history) is that Stradlin wants the box office for this tour to be split equally between the four of them (or five if Adler was under discussion). I do not see how anyone can interpret that tweet as implying that Izzy wants to regain his share of the 'Guns N' Roses' trademark. I may be wrong but the tweet was responding specifically to touring, and Izzy has never shown much desire to regain control of his share in the band in the past - indeed, Izzy guested with Axl on multiple occasions in 2006 and 2012 under the present business arrangement.