When a guy friend falls in love with you.......

Axl Roses Future Wife

I'm asking everyone here but would like it if some men could give me some advice too.  What do I do when my guy best friend admits he's in love with me and I don't feel the same way at all?  Please help!!! I don't want to lose this friendship and I don't know how to deal with this.....

7 minutes ago, Axl Roses Future Wife said:

I might post this in another thread and maybe more people will give me advice.

The love/sex/relationship thread is where it should go.

I'd advise being honest, but as kind as you can be with that honesty. He's inevitably going to feel awful, rejection's bad at the best of times, rejection from someone close is worse. If you're serious about keeping the friendship alive, once you've made how you feel clear and both had the chance to have an honest conversation about it, take a bit of a sabbatical from contact for at least a few months to let it sink in, so he has time to move on emotionally and start to think of you as just a friend again. Being around each other a lot in the immediate aftermath of something like this is probably not healthy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Tell him you're not interested, ask him if he's capable of being friends anyway, and then help him get laid. 

Oh he's had ample opportunity to get laid.  He's good looking and all my girlfriends want to fuck him but he won't because he says he's in love with me......

10 minutes ago, Graeme said:

The love/sex/relationship thread is where it should go.

I'd advise being honest, but as kind as you can be with that honesty. He's inevitably going to feel awful, rejection's bad at the best of times, rejection from someone close is worse. If you're serious about keeping the friendship alive, once you've made how you feel clear and both had the chance to have an honest conversation about it, take a bit of a sabbatical from contact for at least a few months to let it sink in, so he has time to move on emotionally and start to think of you as just a friend again. Being around each other a lot in the immediate aftermath of something like this is probably not healthy.

Not sure where that thread is.  I'm new here.  But thanks for your advice.  I just don't want to hurt him and being away from him is going to literally suck.

24 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i would say be honest. tell him you like him and cherish his friendship but that's it. otherwise you will be putting yourself and him in a bad situation that won't end well. that's my take anyway :)

Yes I am going to have to be honest and tell him.  I just don't want to hurt him it's going to hurt me so bad.

• Like 1

How'd you know its gonna hurt him that much?  I mean did he tell you as much, that its something hes felt for ages?  How'd you know its not just an infatuation?  And anyway its better than doing the dirty on a friend.  And what does that say about him that he'd fuck your friend off with his her best friend?

Edited by Len Cnut

He told me he's felt that way ever since we met.  That's how I know it's going to hurt him.  I know him better than most people do.  But with this, I had no idea.  I guess I'm clueless after all.  I feel like shit.  I wish I felt the same way but I just don't.  And I really don't want our friendship to change but that's inevitable now.  He just changed everything.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

How'd you know its gonna hurt him that much?  I mean did he tell you as much, that its something hes felt for ages?  How'd you know its not just an infatuation?  And anyway its better than doing the dirty on a friend.

there was a show that reminds me of this called The Friend Zone ( i think ) on MTV. and the person in love with their friend would like pretend they liked some imaginary person, have the friend come along for "support" then finally tell the friend oh there is no one it's all for you. it was like a car wreck, i didn't want to look but i couldn't help myself! sorry this is not mocking your situation it just jogged my memory about this God awful show

6 minutes ago, Axl Roses Future Wife said:

He told me he's felt that way ever since we met.  That's how I know it's going to hurt him.  I know him better than most people do.  But with this, I had no idea.  I guess I'm clueless after all.  I feel like shit.  I wish I felt the same way but I just don't.  And I really don't want our friendship to change but that's inevitable now.  He just changed everything.

That sounds mildly creepy.

19 minutes ago, Axl Roses Future Wife said:

Yeah I guess I feel the same way too about it.  Why didn't he tell me sooner?

Sometimes you just can't, the moment never feels right, or your doubts get the better of you, somebody else walks into the room when you feel like you've finally worked up the courage... I've been there, in love with someone for years and never said anything about it, but being a "creep" to me implies that you've some underhanded malicious intent towards someone. I think there's a big difference between that and not being able to overcome the nerves to say.

The day I finally did say something was one of the scariest moments of my life.

Just be like 'I like women' and then try and forget about it.

@Axl Roses Future Wife; IDK, what can you do?

Has he been single for these past 6 years of knowing him?

Maybe if you took him out 'on the pull' break the ice with other pretty ladies he might like, I know people should find their own God damn partners in this world, but it shouldn't hurt (in the long run) if you played cupid and got him off you and into someone else.

Edited by Snake-Pit

1 hour ago, Axl Roses Future Wife said:

Yes I am going to have to be honest and tell him.  I just don't want to hurt him it's going to hurt me so bad.

Maybe it's over, maybe if you found a man, it'll break him?

Maybe it's kind to be cruel, wish him luck, and ask yourself; why you don't like him in that way, and if the answer's are all clear then let him go, so you both can rest assured that if you find someone it won't break him on the inside for it not being him.

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

what does that mean?? :)

Try and get him laid; 'play Cupid'

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snake-Pit said:

Maybe it's over, maybe if you found a man, it'll break him?

Maybe it's kind to be cruel, wish him luck, and ask yourself; why you don't like him in that way, and if the answer's are all clear then let him go, so you both can rest assured that if you find someone it won't break him on the inside for it not being him.

Try and get him laid; 'play Cupid'

so like a wing man ( or wing woman i guess. )