If That Ain't Country

Fitha_whiskey

1 minute ago, Zurimor said:

Yes, you do, it's definitely not classic country, more country rock and quite some other influences, too, but they have their own style, don't just copy what others do. You have to respect that :D

Seriously, they can be a lot of fun. :)

I listened to the first song, I liked it. I'll be sure and check out the rest. 

Gunnevera - very cheap, purchased for $16,000. :lol: But poor guy was orphaned as a baby..excellent, I love underdog stories!

Thunder Snow -  owned by a Sikh, handles dirt really well. :lol:

J Boys Echo - expensive $485,000 purchase price, celebrity comparison is Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson.

Do they all fit? We are gonna WIN! :lol:

3 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Gunnevera - very cheap, purchased for $16,000. :lol: But poor guy was orphaned as a baby..excellent, I love underdog stories!

Thunder Snow -  owned by a Sikh, handles dirt really well. :lol:

J Boys Echo - expensive $485,000 purchase price, celebrity comparison is Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson.

Do they all fit? We are gonna WIN! :lol:

Well, I can certainly handle dirt very well. Can't speak for you guys though... :lol:

• Like 1

I have a confession to make about me and country music.  

When I was a teenager I frequented a weekly open mic at a dive bar/criminal enterprise.   The open mic was helmed by a really incredible, wholesome and established local singer songwriter.  He took me under his wing equal parts due to my song writing and the fact that I was a street youth.  He had a heavy country influence and as a folk musician had plenty of pure country in his repertoire.  He even lead a pilgrimage to the Blue Bird that I almost managed to go on.  

Given my situation I would play his guitar.  Way too often I would break his strings.   So, one day before I play at the open mic he hands me his guitar, but this time also a guitar pick.  It was a softer, more flexible pick then i used.  He said "this is George Jones' pick."  I felt bad for breaking so many strings and was stressed that he'd gone out and bought me a soft pick - its made me ashamed.  I ended up playing even harder due to stress.  I broke a string first.  And then I broke the pick.

People gathered around as I ended my set and observed the broken pick on the stage.  "you broke Dudes George Jones pick!!"  

I said: "Who's George Jones?"

It was picked up by the mic and the entire hall fell silent and stared at me.  Bikers.  Drunk bikers.

I thought it was the brand name of the pick.  The guy had received the pick from George Jones years earlier and it was of course a prized possession.  He assumed I would be gentle out of reverence.  

I was taunted with "Who's George Jones?" for years to come until the owner killed a customer right on the patio and the bar closed.

:facepalm:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

When I was a teenager I frequented a weekly open mic at a dive bar/criminal enterprise.   The open mic was helmed by a really incredible, wholesome and established local singer songwriter.  He took me under his wing equal parts due to my song writing and the fact that I was a street youth.  He had a heavy country influence and as a folk musician had plenty of pure country in his repertoire.  He even lead a pilgrimage to the Blue Bird that I almost managed to go on.  

Given my situation I would play his guitar.  Way too often I would break his strings.   So, one day before I play at the open mic he hands me his guitar, but this time also a guitar pick.  It was a softer, more flexible pick then i used.  He said "this is George Jones' pick."  I felt bad for breaking so many strings and was stressed that he'd gone out and bought me a soft pick - its made me ashamed.  I ended up playing even harder due to stress.  I broke a string first.  And then I broke the pick.

People gathered around as I ended my set and observed the broken pick on the stage.  "you broke Dudes George Jones pick!!"  

It was picked up by the mic and the entire hall fell silent and stared at me.  Bikers.  Drunk bikers.

I thought it was the brand name of the pick.  The guy had received the pick from George Jones years earlier and it was of course a prized possession.  He assumed I would be gentle out of reverence.  

I was taunted with "Who's George Jones?" for years to come until the owner killed a customer right on the patio and the bar closed.

Well fuck man- that's a great start to a country singing career, if you ask me! The good shit is like blues- you can tell who has lived it and who was chosen for shaking their ass... that's a good song to be written right there.

2 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Well fuck man- that's a great start to a country singing career, if you ask me! The good shit is like blues- you can tell who has lived it and who was chosen for shaking their ass... that's a good song to be written right there.

Very good point - I should craft a song around that!  Sadly it took me years to really focus on country as a very special genre rather then just a piece of the rock n roll landscape.  Folk always, but the rich legacy of country is something Im still just beginning to learn. 

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Very good point - I should craft a song around that!  Sadly it took me years to really focus on country as a very special genre rather then just a piece of the rock n roll landscape.  Folk always, but the rich legacy of country is something Im still just beginning to learn. 

George Jones himself is a good place to start. Hank Sr. But you're a guitar guy right? Maybe Willie or Waylon.

1 minute ago, J Dog said:

George Jones himself is a good place to start. Hank Sr. But you're a guitar guy right? Maybe Willie or Waylon.

Thanks, will do.  Willie I've listened to since all the way back then - from my position at the time he was the country edge of stoner culture and rock.  And even as he mentioned these other names I just wasnt curious for whatever reason.  Also the guy whose pick I broke passed away so my one connection to country music was gone.  (guess I should include that in the song)

I got to see Willie last year and it was incredible.  Im in Canada and he doesn't play here all that much. 

Ill start with Waylon

3 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah also David Allen Coe I was thinking. The song that this thread is named after might apply. He was pretty far out there and always having to defend himself as being Country to the old school folks before the Outlaw stuff caught on. I also first thought of Long Haired Redneck when I read that story...

but yeah- if you wanna claim to be any sort of country fan, you better get brushed up on Jones. 

5 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yeah also David Allen Coe I was thinking. The song that this thread is named after might apply. He was pretty far out there and always having to defend himself as being Country to the old school folks before the Outlaw stuff caught on. I also first thought of Long Haired Redneck when I read that story...

but yeah- if you wanna claim to be any sort of country fan, you better get brushed up on Jones. 

I swear I thought about Long Haired Redneck :lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

thanks, Ill check these out.  Will be interested to hear Long Haired Redneck especially

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks, will do.  Willie I've listened to since all the way back then - from my position at the time he was the country edge of stoner culture and rock.  And even as he mentioned these other names I just wasnt curious for whatever reason.  Also the guy whose pick I broke passed away so my one connection to country music was gone.  (guess I should include that in the song)

I got to see Willie last year and it was incredible.  Im in Canada and he doesn't play here all that much. 

Ill start with Waylon

Yeah Willie is a little different. He has kind of a really western, maybe a little Spanish feel.

Waylon is good. Started out as Buddy Holly's bass player. There's a video about it somewhere in this thread. Merle Haggard has some good pickin in a lot of his tunes.

I don't know much about new country but some others here do. I know there's a lot of big rocking guitars if that's your thing. I'm not a big fan but that's me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah Willie is a little different. He has kind of a really western, maybe a little Spanish feel.

Waylon is good. Started out as Buddy Holly's bass player. There's a video about it somewhere in this thread. Merle Haggard has some good pickin in a lot of his tunes.

I don't know much about new country but some others here do. I know there's a lot of big rocking guitars if that's your thing. I'm not a big fan but that's me.

I think I watched that vid on here, but too far into the cups, so Ill have to try again :lol:

So far Im not drawn to new country or big rocking guitars in country either.

1 hour ago, soon said:

awww poor baby *hugs*

1 minute ago, soon said:

I think I watched that vid on here, but too far into the cups, so Ill have to try again :lol:

You are never "too far into the cups" for country music. In fact, there are never enough cups. And you can't fully appreciate it by like slamming 6 beers quick and turning it on. The pinnacle is when you are about 10 hours in on a bender, got a real good foundation built on beer and whiskey. Then you put on some sad shit and get really down into it... it's like the opposite of a good acid trip for me. But it's not for everybody- you gotta be in the mindset to enjoy a good sadness about shit...

8 minutes ago, soon said:

you knew I was a hippie in my youth because of my foraged yarrow home brew? :lol:

I had my suspicions, yes... :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

awww poor baby *hugs*

thanks

I know this one by now and its pretty fantastic.  This thread is an amazing resource.  And Im still listening to the ladies of country you introduced me to as well :) 

4 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

You are never "too far into the cups" for country music. In fact, there are never enough cups. And you can't fully appreciate it by like slamming 6 beers quick and turning it on. The pinnacle is when you are about 10 hours in on a bender, got a real good foundation built on beer and whiskey. Then you put on some sad shit and get really down into it... it's like the opposite of a good acid trip for me. But it's not for everybody- you gotta be in the mindset to enjoy a good sadness about shit...

I could see deriving a lot of pleasure from an experience like that.  My liver disagrees but usually doesnt win the debate.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soon said:

Definitely check out Hank Sr and Cash. There's a lot. Old country music surprises you in that sometimes a certain song or singer just gets you. Conway Twitty and Kieth Whitley are both like that for me.

And since I throw him off on everybody else I'll throw him off on you too :lol: Hank Williams III. He does a scary good job of playing classic country but modern. And he's your pickin motherfucker too.