If That Ain't Country

Fitha_whiskey

4 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Jack has some country in him.

cool, and i know Ricky Skaggs!  I have this mandolin still kicking around here somewhere.  I played in a few ensembles and studied his playing a touch. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Jack has some country in him.

i love love love The Raconteurs but prefer when he was with Meg and they claimed they were siblings :P

know this will be ignored but i just don't care anymore. we are two people on a music forum that is IT k?

4 hours ago, soon said:

I have a confession to make about me and country music.  

When I was a teenager I frequented a weekly open mic at a dive bar/criminal enterprise.   The open mic was helmed by a really incredible, wholesome and established local singer songwriter.  He took me under his wing equal parts due to my song writing and the fact that I was a street youth.  He had a heavy country influence and as a folk musician had plenty of pure country in his repertoire.  He even lead a pilgrimage to the Blue Bird that I almost managed to go on.  

Given my situation I would play his guitar.  Way too often I would break his strings.   So, one day before I play at the open mic he hands me his guitar, but this time also a guitar pick.  It was a softer, more flexible pick then i used.  He said "this is George Jones' pick."  I felt bad for breaking so many strings and was stressed that he'd gone out and bought me a soft pick - its made me ashamed.  I ended up playing even harder due to stress.  I broke a string first.  And then I broke the pick.

People gathered around as I ended my set and observed the broken pick on the stage.  "you broke Dudes George Jones pick!!"  

I said: "Who's George Jones?"

It was picked up by the mic and the entire hall fell silent and stared at me.  Bikers.  Drunk bikers.

I thought it was the brand name of the pick.  The guy had received the pick from George Jones years earlier and it was of course a prized possession.  He assumed I would be gentle out of reverence.  

I was taunted with "Who's George Jones?" for years to come until the owner killed a customer right on the patio and the bar closed.

:facepalm:

Oh my god, that hurts, that really hurts! That reallly, really hurts!

I mean that guy who owned the pick, I feel really pity for him, that hurts so much! Hope you got along well with him after that anyway, at least he didn't kill you. ;)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

Oh my god, that hurts, that really hurts! That reallly, really hurts!

I mean that guy who owned the pick, I feel really pity for him, that hurts so much! Hope you got along well with him after that anyway, at least he didn't kill you. ;)

I know, me too!  I cant believe that I did that too him!!  Im gutted thinking about it!

He was incredibly gracious.  He let me use his guitar again the next week.  Yeah, it was so shitty of me - wish Id understood.  

This guy was so smart, learned and just plain friendly.  One of a kind.  And I put him through so much shit.  

As an adult its hard for me to relate to the youth I was, but I once spanked a banker at the front of the stage as my mentor preformed a showcase.  Difficult to explain, but it was a vicious, hard, ultra public spanking on a full grown man who, naturally, did not want to be spanked. Thief had it coming.  But there were industry types there to see my mentor!  It had to be that night! :lol:.  He was so gentle with the ferrel child that I was.

He guided me in my songwriting until he eventually had me open for him a handful of times.  

He passed a few years later and was buried with a package of strings that I bought him.

I still study his playing and songwriting. 

14 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i LOVE the mandolin! 

Real cool song!  I love mandolins too.  Not sure why I never got more into playing it

• Like 1

Okay, okay, it's probably not exactly country (although they recorded their last album in Nashville) but countryesque enough to me to post it here since they're wonderful either way.

I think you can be happy to have had such a mentor, sounds like a really nice guy. He frickin earnt that package of strings!  :lol:

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 1