Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

33 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

The rest of it feels like the 5 stages of grief where you land finally on acceptance. And, for me at least, acceptance means viewing GNR as just a business. When you view it within that parameter, everything makes sense.  

I'm not a romantic person in any sense of the word, so I don't know why I held on to my romantic delusions with this dumb band. They aren't friends or even band mates so much as long term, sometimes friendly business partners.  

Always the voice of reason:thumbsup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KURT19 said:

Kurt's Book on How to Be a Man:

Chapter 1: Don't EVER turn your back on your friends.  EVER.

Chapter 2: Recognize that Money is the Root of ALL EVIL.

Chapter 3: Stay Humble and Speak the TRUTH.

Chapter 4: When someone asks "Where's Izzy?" KNOW the answer and see Chapter 3.

Chapter 5: HONOR your wife, your parents, your elders, your friends AND the NO! GANG.

Chapter 6: Brush Your Teeth With ROCK N' ROLL.

The End.

Someone, teach Me how to brush My teeth with rock N' Roll!

• Like 3

Just now, marlingrl03 said:

Oh come on!.. some of us over there are not that bad lol! :P

? Not the people it the topics of conversation, last time I looked there seemed to be a contest on who could marry Axl :nervous:Scary stuff.?

• Like 2

Just now, Archtop said:

? Not the people it the topics of conversation, last time I looked there seemed to be a contest on who could marry Axl :nervous:Scary stuff.?

LOL, yeah I almost got sucked into that one. Just good ol' girl fun, but yeah I can see how that can be scary for some haha!!!! :lol:

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

He's already married. Melissa stole him from us all. :max:

giphy.gif

Plus, I don't know about everyone else but I'm kinda digging the single life. :shades:

giphy.gif

---------

Might be a little off topic but I started reading Scott Weiland's book last night on my flight home and came across this:

Sound familiar? :ph34r:

Ned Flanders being Harvey Dent again

Hot Izzy :wub::heart:

http://itssognr.tumblr.com/post/159333675668/happy-birthday-izzy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

Might be a little off topic but I started reading Scott Weiland's book last night on my flight home and came across this:

Mary still took an interest in my career. Always has. Always will. Ka-ching. Ka-ching. She said she’d been hanging with Susan McKagan, a former swimsuit supermodel and wife of Duff, the bass player with Guns N’ Roses when the group was at its height. Susan told Mary that three guys from GNR— Duff on bass, Matt Sorum on drums, and Slash on guitar— had formed a band. Initially, Izzy Stradlin was in, but soon opted out. David Kushner from Wasted Youth took his place. “Sounds like a lot of egos,” I said. “Sounds like a lot of trouble.” “They put some songs on a CD that they want you to hear,” Mary said. “They think you’ll like what they’re doing.” I didn’t. It sounded like Bad Company– styled classic rock. And I never liked Bad Company. But being a nice guy, I said, “There’s some stuff that’s okay, but just send me another disc when you have a few new songs.” A week or so later, another CD arrived with songs custom-designed for me. The tunes had STP written all over them.

Duff called and said, “Hey, man, just drop by the studio.” I knew Duff from the gym, and I said I’d try. I still wasn’t sure whether I wanted to hook up with these guys. “Look, Scott,” Duff said, “there’s also soundtrack stuff we’ve been asked to do. And the money’s great.”

Weiland, Scott (2011-05-17). Not Dead & Not for Sale: A Memoir (Kindle Locations 1141-1143). Scribner. Kindle Edition.

When I told the guys that we’d have to miss a couple of gigs because I needed treatment, their reaction shocked me. They told me I’d have to pay them for those cancellations— in full. I reminded some of them that when they had relapsed and needed rehab, I had supported them completely. It made no difference to them. They wanted compensation from me, but this time, no deal. Fuck me once, shame me twice . . . well, just fuck off. There had been other Velvet Revolver problems. Slash’s wife, Perla, had inserted herself into the band business to the point of participating in band meetings. Beyond that, Velvet Revolver was essentially a manufactured product. For all our hits—“ Fall to Pieces,” “Slither,” “Set Me Free”— we came together out of necessity, not artistic purpose.

Weiland, Scott (2011-05-17). Not Dead & Not for Sale: A Memoir (Kindle Locations 1326-1332). Scribner. Kindle Edition.

I love Scott more than words can express, I'll never get tired of mentioning how much he means to me but I think there's a combination of bitterness and denial in those comments.

I think it's pretty ridiculous what he says about suppoting the other guys when they relapsed. He was the one who constantly had problems with drugs and they were supportive of him. If that last time they weren't supportive at all is because they had had enough of Scott's problems and attitude.

I do believe what he says about Perla and about Duff's comment of money being great. However, I absolutely disagree with VR having no artistic purpose. Those guys wrote a shitload of songs and tried a shitload of singers until they chose Scott. They also rejected big names (like Sebastian Bach or Corey Taylor) before and after Scott was in the band. I believe the biggest motivation for those guys was probably to prove they could be great and relevant without Axl and even though that might not be the best/nicest source of motivation, I think that made them strive to write the best music they could. So I think they totally cared about the music they were making and chose Scott because they thought he was awesome and saw a lot of potential working with him.

A big LOL at the part where Scott claims he asked them to send another CD because he was being nice. Even when he was full of shit, he was sort of sweet and funny :wub:

• Like 2

@BorderlineCrazy I also disagree about VR having no artistic purpose, I thought Contraband was a really good album and the shows I saw in support of that album were amazing. Libertad not so much. I don't discount everything Scott says though, when he's said before that Slash, Duff and Matt weren't always the nicest guys to be in a band with and there were petty jealousies and egos, I believe him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@BorderlineCrazy I also disagree about VR having no artistic purpose, I thought Contraband was a really good album and the shows I saw in support of that album were amazing. Libertad not so much.

I love both albums so much. I prefer Contraband but I really love Libertad too (even though I hate that they left my favorite song off the record).

16 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I don't discount everything Scott says though, when he's said before that Slash, Duff and Matt weren't always the nicest guys to be in a band with and there were petty jealousies and egos, I believe him. 

Neither do I. When things go wrong and Scott is pissed, he's really good at playing the victim and claiming everything is everybody's fault but his but still a lot of the things he say are true (maybe exaggerated but true). It killed me when he said that during the last tour he couldn't understand why they were still touring Libertad when it wasn't really succsessful and that he thought they should have already had a third record by then. Had they done things that way, we would have around 12 more songs of those guys :cry: It isn't entirely realistic to exepct another album from them when they weren't getting along at all but it would have been so awesome!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I love both albums so much. I prefer Contraband but I really love Libertad too (even though I hate that they left my favorite song off the record).

Neither do I. When things go wrong and Scott is pissed, he's really good at playing the victim and claiming everything is everybody's fault but his but still a lot of the things he say are true (maybe exaggerated but true). It killed me when he said that during the last tour he couldn't understand why they were still touring Libertad when it wasn't really succsessful and that he thought they should have already had a third record by then. Had they done things that way, we would have around 12 more songs of those guys :cry: It isn't entirely realistic to exepct another album from them when they weren't getting along at all but it would have been so awesome!

Look at us talking like Scott is still with us :( I really loved him, he was one of my favourite singers and such a great talent. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Look at us talking like Scott is still with us :( I really loved him, he was one of my favourite singers and such a great talent. 

I still have a hard time trying to accept he's gone. I can't! :( He's one of my favorite singers and my favorite frontman. I'll always treasure the memories of the day I got to see him live (and this saturday it will be 10 years from that day btw! :wow:).

Sorry for derrailing, can't help it when it comes to Scott. I hope Izzy understands.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

He's already married. Melissa stole him from us all. :max:

Plus, I don't know about everyone else but I'm kinda digging the single life. :shades:

---------

I was married against my will! I'm a fan of single life, I'm happy with my dog and my crazy plant lady babies. :wub:

About Scott's book, those things are starting to not surprise me anymore giving the actual situation. :facepalm: and I'm not the biggest Scott's fan precisely. I mean, nothing really against him he was just too "intense" for my liking.

5 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

Well You will be like tht too if it involved Izzy,  We can make a contest who could marry Izzy too in here :awesomeface:

Nope, I love his music, I appreciate his a good looking guy, he sounds like his fun,  but that's as far as I go, a little fan girling. ?  Let me on a motorbike (which I haven't done for years) and I'll be his road trip buddy.?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I love Scott more than words can express, I'll never get tired of mentioning how much he means to me but I think there's a combination of bitterness and denial in those comments.

I think it's pretty ridiculous what he says about suppoting the other guys when they relapsed. He was the one who constantly had problems with drugs and they were supportive of him. If that last time they weren't supportive at all is because they had had enough of Scott's problems and attitude.

I do believe what he says about Perla and about Duff's comment of money being great. However, I absolutely disagree with VR having no artistic purpose. Those guys wrote a shitload of songs and tried a shitload of singers until they chose Scott. They also rejected big names (like Sebastian Bach or Corey Taylor) before and after Scott was in the band. I believe the biggest motivation for those guys was probably to prove they could be great and relevant without Axl and even though that might not be the best/nicest source of motivation, I think that made them strive to write the best music they could. So I think they totally cared about the music they were making and chose Scott because they thought he was awesome and saw a lot of potential working with him.

A big LOL at the part where Scott claims he asked them to send another CD because he was being nice. Even when he was full of shit, he was sort of sweet and funny :wub:

Normally I'd agree with you and when I started the book I expected him to be angry and bitter throughout the whole thing but he really doesn't come across that way. A few pages after those quotes he says that he was hurt by the whole thing because Slash was his idol in the 80s and he thought Duff was somebody he could count on and trust. He felt betrayed and misled by them. The only person who he seems bitter about is Mary and well, we all know that story so I wont open that can of worms here. :P

I also don't think he meant he was the poster boy for sobriety and that he was supporting the guys in getting sober. I think he meant when they needed to go to rehab he didn't try to charge them for the shows they missed. He understood they needed treatment and didn't make fuss about it. I'm not 100% sure about Slash but I do know that Duff & Matt went to rehab in the VR days so he could be telling the truth there.

I kind of believe him about VR being created out of necessity to a extent. Duff, Slash, Matt and Dave didn't have much going on back then that would've brought in a ton of income and if you watch the making of VR documentary you can see they had big wigs throwing offers at them to put a "supergroup" together. Which was the thing to do at the time. I think VR started off as a money opportunity (or necessity depending on how you want to look at it) and then luckily they had chemistry and it turned into something more. :shrugs:

I haven't finished the book yet, but if you haven't read it you should.

P.S.: Sorry for hijacking the thread. :izzy:

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 1