Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

8 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I was going through Izzy's rig on google and found this interesting article. They put him in #4 in the list of most underrated rhythm guitarists.

He makes those lists all the time! :lol: I'd say he is a very underrated musician in general, not really in the music business where i think he is very respected and acclaimed but for the general public (fucking damn general public :P). In pretty much every guitarist message board he is always mentioned as being someone's reason to pick up a guitar, or influence, and also makes the favorite/best rhythm guitarist's lists. He might not be the most technically skilled and he probably knows that but he has that something else that is needed to be a good rhythm guitarist, call it groove, call it swing... he just got it. 

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

lol :P

He knows Spanish because one of his parents is Cuban, I think. His real name is Adalberto James Miranda.

Holy shit, no wonder why he goes with Del. :lol:

• Like 4

What did Del James tweet that u guys are talking about?  I am confused.. 

i don't think Izzy is back in.. he told way back when he opened his twitter account he will keep us updated on any news.. 

unless all has silenced him from tweeting something but I don't see Izzy as that type of person..

i hope if Izzy reads this please release more music.. I need something right now to cheer me up..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

He makes those lists all the time! :lol: I'd say he is a very underrated musician in general, not really in the music business where i think he is very respected and acclaimed but for the general public (fucking damn general public :P). In pretty much every guitarist message board he is always mentioned as being someone's reason to pick up a guitar, or influence, and also makes the favorite/best rhythm guitarist's lists. He might not be the most technically skilled and he probably knows that but he has that something else that is needed to be a good rhythm guitarist, call it groove, call it swing... he just got it.

Yeah, the general public/casual fans suck! It's true he's very respected among guitar players/musicians but I wish he was more appreciated by people overall so he could go on tour and make money instead of losing it.

Technicall skills are extremely overrated these days IMO. Slash has improved a lot through the years, yet his most famost riff is on his first album and his most famous solos are mostly in the Use Your Illusions albums and some on Appetite too. Of course you need to have certain skills to be able to be a pro musician at all but other than that, creativity comes first IMO. Izzy's Nightrain solo is a great example I think, pretty simple but so perfect. Compare it to what Fortus plays now and tell me what's better.

29 minutes ago, downliner said:

Here's info on Izzy's equipment from the chopaway archive :) All of the following was shared by Ed/Dutchizzy who sourced it all from interviews and looking at photos etc :headbang:

Appetite For Destruction (1987): Gibson ES-175(?) - Mesa/Boogie Top 4x12 Cabinet with EV speakers in the bottom and Celestions on top.

Use Your Illusion (1991): Gibson Les Paul / Fender Telecaster '67 Custom (sunburst) - Carvin XV-112EV Studio Tube Amp

Ju Ju Hounds (1992):

Fender Telecaster '72 Custom
Gibson ES-175
Gibson ES-330
Gibson ES-335
Gibson ES-345
Gibson ES-350
Gibson ES-355 with a walnut finish
Gibson Les Paul Special with double cut
Gibson Les Paul Gold Top ('88 probably he recieved from Gibson for promo, Slash also got one)
Gibson Byrdland with the Florentine cutaway
Guild Starfire II 1962

Fender Bassman 60's heads with a Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Cabinet with EV speakers in the bottom and Celestions on top

117 degrees (1998): Gretsch (Country Gentleman?) - Fender Deluxe Reverb (reissue)

Ride On (1999): Gretsch (Country Gentleman?) / Fender Deluxe Reverb (reissue)

River (2001): Gibson ES-135  & Fender Telecaster '70 for most of the tracks - Fender Deluxe Reverb (reissue)

On Down The Road (2002): Gibson ES-135 & Takamine acoustic - Fender Deluxe Reverb (reissue)

Like A Dog (2003): Gibson ES-135 - Fender Pro Jr.

Miami (2005): IZZY: Gibson SG tv-yellow (mostly) & Gibson ES-135 & acoustic Gibsons & Fender Pro Jr. RICK: Paul Reed Smith, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Standard Marshall 900 amp, Mesa Boogie amp, Marshall DSL401 combo amp. JT: Fender P-Bass, Izzy's Rickenbacker bass, SWR amp. TAZZ: DW drums, Remo coated emperor heads (live & studio). Sometimes coated ambassador in the studio just to get a quicker decay because they are one ply thinner than the emperors.

Fire (2007): No info available yet, but acoustic Gibsons probably.

Concrete (2008): No info available yet, but probably the tv yellow Gibson SG & Gibson ES-135 & Fender Pro Jr.

Smoke (2009): No info available yet.

Wave Of Heat (2010): Recorded with DW drums, 4 piece kit. Fender precision bass, Gallien -Krueger bass amp MBs 3.Guitars/acoustic...gibson hummingbird and J-200....Electric/izzy,70`s fender telecaster w/humbuckers,gibson es-135,the old 60`s telecaster[sunburst] from illusions recordings,gold top gibson les paul[60`s re- issue]...mostly through a fender "pro -junior" .. fender super sonic for a few overdubs/leads.Rick Richards/electrics...gibson les paul custom,les paul gold top,mostly through marshall jcm 2000 combo and marshall "vintage-modern" 4/12 half stack

Trivia: When guesting at the Adler's Appetite gig in 2003 and the Velvet Revolver gigs in 2004 Izzy used the same tv yellow Gibson SG as he mentioned later on and is used on many recordings. Also Izzy can be seen during the Camp Freddy 2003, GN'R 2006 and Adler's Appetite 2007 gig playing a black Gibson ES-135 that is likely also the guitar shown on the River and On Down The Road album cover. That one's probably his main recording guitar and one of his favorites.

He probably got hooked on the tv yellow SG after first getting a Angus Young signature SG back in 2001 which he mentioned getting in an interview and not being able to put it down for quite some time. Izzy also used a red Gibson Flying V at the 2003 Camp Freddy gig, he also played (a different one) red Flying V at a few GN'R gigs, that guitar is now being displayed in a Hard Rock cafe.

And finally from an Izzy Q&A January 2006:

How many guitars you have in your collection and which is your favourite one?

The picks he still used from back in the GN'R days. Probably also still uses Ernie Ball strings since GN'R had a deal with them back then.

See Also: http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/568-izzy-stradlin-guitar-rig-gear-and-equipment

---

Originally Ed included loads of pictures but those links are all dead now :(

Wow, this is awesome, thanks for sharing!! ^_^

Chopaway was so awesome, I used to check it all the time. By far the best site dedicated to one of these five looney tunes (there was that Snakepit site that was cool too, though).

OK since we are talking guitars, I'm intrigued with this photo , please tell what the red clips on the guitar  headstock (is that correct term) are, and what do they do, not sure if I have seen this before. I like the sound of the guitar in the second photo, do you know what his playing ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I wonder if he still plays the drums? 

Edited by Archtop

I know you guys are going to get mad at me but I'm still pretty confident Izzy's back in.

• Izzy's been extremely quiet lately and hasn't denied ANY of the reunion rumors that are all over the place right now. He's always been quick to shut down BS before so now when the rumors have some serious legs he's going to stay silent? I don't buy that.
  • Steven getting slapped with another NDA - What would be the point of that if they weren't doing a show?
  • Slash & Duff wishing him a Happy Birthday when they didn't last year and have not mentioned him anywhere in over a year.
  • Fernando liking pictures of Izzy on Instagram
  • Del now liking tweets about Izzy
  • Steven mentioning that Fernando was planning something for the 30th.

I just think all signs are pointing to a full reunion in some capacity. :shrugs:

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

I know you guys are going to get mad at me but I'm still pretty confident Izzy's back in.

• Izzy's been extremely quiet lately and hasn't denied ANY of the reunion rumors that are all over the place right now. He's always been quick to shut down BS before so now when the rumors have some serious legs he's going to stay silent? I don't buy that.
  • Steven getting slapped with another NDA - What would be the point of that if they weren't doing a show?
  • Slash & Duff wishing him a Happy Birthday when they didn't last year and have not mentioned him anywhere in over a year.

I just think all signs are pointing to a full reunion in some capacity. :shrugs:

Gosh....we all do hope so. Fingers crossed! :)

• Like 3

Don't forget Axl's cat tweeted 'Bring me Boba Fett' Haha the bounty hunter who collects the loot :rofl-lol: :lol:

Really though, I'm 100% sure the GnR camp will have been talking to Izzy. it isn't like they flat out didn't want him involved from the get go, because they clearly did. Its just in what shitty way :shrugs:

I cant get a single hope up in hell about it at the moment, I want Izzy to be there so much that if he were I think it'd be like Christmas Day when you were six or something lol I just really don't think he will be :unsure:

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Don't forget Axl's cat tweeted 'Bring me Boba Fett' Haha the bounty hunter who collects the loot :rofl-lol: :lol:

Really though, I'm 100% sure the GnR camp will have been talking to Izzy. it isn't like they flat out didn't want him involved from the get go, because they clearly did. Its just in what shitty way :shrugs:

I cant get a single hope up in hell about it at the moment, I want Izzy to be there so much that if he were I think it'd be like Christmas Day when you were six or something lol I just really don't think he will be :unsure:

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

Yeah... sorry for bringing paranoia, usually I don't believe in any sign of a possible reunion, but lately it was all very strange and I wanted it not to go unnoticed ... maybe now they get along and that's it ... another curious fact is that GNR is going to play with The Who, celebrating the anniversary of AFD in Argentina .

My opinion is that Guns will do a 30th concert with all 5  and then go back to touring with the new gnr., Guns will probably promote as a 1 concert ordeal..

hoping Izzy is back in. There has been rumors he is back in even before and he never shot them down..only the very beginning.

i hope he gets the money he DESERVES!! Without him there would of not been a Guns.. 

??????

Izzy please post more videos of you singing ? can't get enough of those 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

If the full reunion would come true I would be like: Welcome to the jungle baby, I'm gonna die (of happiness) !!!:lol:

extralarge_thumb_560x420.jpeg

:blink: P.S.  Who are these people? I recognize Richard Fortus on the left side of the picture.  But the rest..... ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Celebrating the anniversary of AFD in Argentina?? How so??

I don't think this information is correct.

They'll come in October, i think it was Fernando's idea ( when i say "AFD anniversary" i mean the tour anniversary )

1 minute ago, Fourteenbeers said:

If the full reunion would come true I would be like: Welcome to the jungle baby, I'm gonna die (of happiness) !!!:lol:

:blink: P.S.  Who are these people? I recognize Richard Fortus on the left side of the picture.  But the rest..... ?

Lol.. well speaking of the devil i think we'll notice if something else is happening if Fortus says something... i don't think he can handle his fanaticism for izzy :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Ha! Is that the little recording machine Izzy loved so much that he is clinging onto? How frigging adorable is that? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzyarg said:

They'll come in October, i think it was Fernando's idea ( when i say "AFD anniversary" i mean the tour anniversary )

How do we know there is an "anniversary tour"?

All of these are made up fantasies. Not even a rumour.

We don't know if they are going to celebrate the AFD anniversary and whatever dates come after that could still be part of the NITL tour.

Let's do not spread incorrect information because people believe it and go crazy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Izzyarg said:

Yeah... sorry for bringing paranoia, usually I don't believe in any sign of a possible reunion, but lately it was all very strange and I wanted it not to go unnoticed ... maybe now they get along and that's it ... another curious fact is that GNR is going to play with The Who, celebrating the anniversary of AFD in Argentina .

I'm not holding out for anything spectacular, we might get an acknowledgment on 30 years in some capacity, but it will most likely be current line up with Stizzy guesting. As much as my heart would like this to happen, my head kind of goes; no way that's appalling. I'm not sure theres anything really indicating Izzy will participate, other than wishful thinking.

As for GnR/Who combo, sorry but I find that really weird, not a great fan of the Who, is it me or they kind of dated. They don't have the status of the Stones or the appeal of a live act such as AC/DC. My opinon is based  on the fact that The Who  are not on my radar at all, it just seems a slightly desperate bid on both bands to fill stadiums. I an not convinced GnR could sell out for a third time in two years and does The Who have that kind of fan base? Enlighten me someone.

Edited by Archtop

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

How do we know there is an "anniversary tour"?

All of these are made up fantasies. Not even a rumour.

We don't know if they are going to celebrate the AFD anniversary and whatever dates come after that could still be part of the NITL tour.

Let's do not spread incorrect information because people believe it and go crazy.

THIS.

I don't believe they would team up with The Who if they were going to celebrate AFD. That would be so huge there'd be no reason for The Who to be there because they will be a co headlining band, and not even one so "legendary" should share the limelight with an AFD 5 tour. 

How many times have GnR toured that area now anyway? Axl hasn't been where I live with his own band for five years!! Surely they'd make more money touring Europe more? They're missing a whole part of it out to go back to the US and SA. They don't make any sense to me :shrugs:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Archtop said:

I'm holding out for nothing spectacular, we might get an acknowledgment on 30 years in some capacity, but it will most likely be current line up with Stizzy guesting. As much as my heart would like this to happen, my head kind of goes; no way that's appalling. I'm not sure theres anything really indicating Izzy will participate, other than wishful thinking.

As for GnR/Who combo, sorry but I find that really weird, not a great fan of the Who, is it me or they kind of dated. They don't have the status of the Stones or the appeal of a live act such as AC/DC. My opinon is based  on the fact that The Who  are not on my radar at all, it just seems a slightly desperate bid on both bands to fill stadiums. I an not convinced GnR could sell out for a third time in two years and does The Who have that kind of fan base? Enlighten me someone.

I think we'll get a guest spot from stizzy for one show to acknowledge the 30th and that's it. Maybe if we're lucky they'll fly them out on the tour for a few shows but I doubt it. As much as I feel like Izzy & Steven are involved again I don't believe Axl will let go of Fortus or Frank... ever.

As for the Who, I saw them at oldchella and they put on a great show but their fans aren't what I would call the GNR crowd. Desert trip has the nickname oldchella for a reason. I think I might have been the youngest one there and I'm 27 so yeah... GNR/Who is going to be a weird mix IMO. Especially in South America. Poor who fans are going to get crushed.  :smiley-confused2:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I didn't even know they are still together but in Latinamerica, I don't think they have such a big fanbase for them to play stadiums.

The combination is odd indeed and one I will have to shove down my throat if it happens and I want to see GN'R again......

Perfect combo would have been Aerosmith/GN'R.

If they come again to Argentina and all the neighbor countries, I'm sure they will sell out but they don't need The Who for that.

And if the ticket prices are much more expensive because of The Who, I will have to think about it twice.

• Like 1