07/12/17 - Nijmegen, NL - Goffertpark

alfierose

1 minute ago, PedeGNR said:

I don't agree at all... Even if part of the general public sees GnR as "metal" (probably due to "metal" being wrongly overused in the 80s as an "umbrella term" that covered even bands like Bon Jovi, so there was "glam metal", "pop metal" etc - the term "hair metal" came later) it isn't metal in any way. For one thing, metal as a genre has been about branching off from rock's blues roots while hard rock relies a lot to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zurimor said:

That's why it's a classic and an actual deepcut, it's awesome Angus plays it live. Poor people which can't appreciate this. ;)

Since I'm not an ACDC fan I don't care for their deepcuts. I just don't like this song, it's so simple.

As I said, instead of getting on stage in a GNR show and playing a deepcut, they could play You shook me. It would be better for 99% of the crowd plus me.

Anyway, probably that was the last appearance of Angus with GNR.

12 hours ago, default_ said:

All their songs sound alike? GREAT. If I want to listen to something different then I'll look for another band, they dont need a fuckin patience. 

Of course they don't need a Patience, they did right to stick to their successful formula. They're just not for me.

I have yet to find a solo by Angus to make me feel like when I listened to the Estranged solos.

But most of what I've heard sound very generic to my ears.

Like I said, AC/DC was huge in my country, seriously huge. They could sell out a goffertpark twice with Brian still in, in the past probably. Tickets for AC/DC were always hard to get, it sold out in an instant. So most of the people loved to see Angus. You can see it in the vids as well, the crowd was excited. He is very loved over here, so nobody was complaining. I am an AC/DC fan and truly was hoping for it. It seemed he was staying in his house in Aalten, I was really hoping for him to show up and he did, yay. So most of the people there loved it and that's all that matters in the end. 

What a great show it was, can't stop talking about it. :headbang:

1 minute ago, MB. said:

Like I said, AC/DC was huge in my country, seriously huge. They could sell out a goffertpark twice with Brian still in, in the past probably. Tickets for AC/DC were always hard to get, it sold out in an instant. So most of the people loved to see Angus. You can see it in the vids as well, the crowd was excited. He is very loved over here, so nobody was complaining. I am an AC/DC fan and truly was hoping for it. It seemed he was staying in his house in Aalten, I was really hoping for him to show up and he did, yay. So most of the people there loved it and that's all that matters in the end. 

What a great show it was, can't stop talking about it. :headbang:

Everybody near me in the crowd went apeshit when Axl announced Angus. Two young guys were hugging eachother and jumping up and down. :lol: I've also seen AC/DC in 2009 and 2015. Absolutely awesome band live! ^_^ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PedeGNR said:

Come on, they're not a metal band. They have metal influences, sure, like they have punk, blues and several other influences in their music, but to call them a metal band makes no sense.

51 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Come on, they're not a metal band. They have metal influences, sure, like they have punk, blues and several other influences in their music, but to call them a metal band makes no sense.

I can't believe anybody actually gives a flying fuck in what box they belong. It's good music. 

• Like 2

Interesting how a guest appearance by Angus at 1 show evolves into a discussion like this on here. Can't we all enjoy the fact that he came out there? I went nuts when it happend it was crazy! And I feel Lucky to be one of the people who saw Guns N' Roses on this tour with Angus as a big bonus!

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Well, please explain why AFD is not a metal album?

Punk is a close relative of metal. Blues rock is the origen of metal, so no contradiction at all.

But I agree with Frontman: good music is good music. 

4 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

Since I'm not an ACDC fan I don't care for their deepcuts. I just don't like this song, it's so simple.

As I said, instead of getting on stage in a GNR show and playing a deepcut, they could play You shook me. It would be better for 99% of the crowd plus me.

Of course they don't need a Patience, they did right to stick to their successful formula. They're just not for me.

I have yet to find a solo by Angus to make me feel like when I listened to the Estranged solos.

I'm pretty sure this is not true, probably more the other way round. From all I read in the concert threads, most people really appreciated Angus' stage appearance!

23 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

@username What was your moment or song or whatever of the show man?

Too much to choose from. I was pretty off Estranged for years but that one hit a homerun. Yesterdays too. Coma was epic. Out To Get Me was awesome. So was Used To Love her. Angus was a huge moment. Pretty much one big collection of high's, can't narrow it down. You? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, username said:

I can't believe anybody actually gives a flying fuck in what box they belong. It's good music. 

Well, care is a bit too much, but this is a GnR forum, what else is there to talk about? The new album? The never changing setlist?

19 minutes ago, PedeGNR said:

Well, please explain why AFD is not a metal album?

Punk is a close relative of metal. Blues rock is the origen of metal, so no contradiction at all.

It's not a metal album because it's not metal. Of course all those genres are relatives, and there are punk, metal and pop influences on AFD, but I still wouldn't call it a punk or a pop album either. If anything, it's hard rock.

Edited by EvanG

2 minutes ago, username said:

Too much to choose from. I was pretty off Estranged for years but that one hit a homerun. Yesterdays too. Coma was epic. Out To Get Me was awesome. So was Used To Love her. Angus was a huge moment. Pretty much one big collection of high's, can't narrow it down. You? 

I think I have to go with Estranged as well, man I love that song and to hear Slash playing it was incredible! Coma did it for me It is such a bad ass song and I love every single part of it, I was very excited tehy did Out ta get me and Michelle such upbeat rock songs love it!! and then of course Jungle Always fun! Civil war was ,really good to and It was only the 2nd time ever I heard it live but it remains a masterpiece, and the vodoo child outro right after so much better than YouTube lol

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Well, care is a bit too much, but this is a GnR forum, what else is there to talk about? The new album? The never changing setlist?

It's not a metal album because it's not metal. Of course all those genres are relatives, and there are punk, metal and pop influences on AFD, but I still wouldn't call it a punk or a pop album either. If anything, it's Hard Rock.

Guns are Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Sleaze Rock. Wikipedia has spoken, topic solved. :D

And Hard Rock is a predecessor of Metal, so Guns can't be Metal. The reason GN'R got "Metal" awards is that the industry created that kind of label for any kind of harder rock music, even a punk album could get one of those "Metal" awards.

Edit: Interesting fact: "The bands categorized as Sleaze, like Guns N' Roses play primarily Hard Rock mixed with elements of Blues Rock, Blue Rock, Metal, Garage Rock and Punk Rock. (...) Among others, the Dictators, AC/DC, Hanoi Rocks, Nazareth and the New York Dolls are regarded as a predecessor and source of inspiration to those Sleaze-bands." (rough translation from the German wiki entry)

So yes, without AC/DC (among others) there would be no Guns N' Roses.

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

Who do you think popularised that 'generic' style? Angus. Look without Angus, Joe Perry, Ace Frehley etc. There would be no Slash, or a very different Slash. Also those riffs that Malcolm wrote influenced so many bands from Anthrax to the Darkness... You can't discount them because of a dip in consistency in the 80s.

When I listen to AFD, I hear Slash playing in a similar way to old AC/DC, blues pentatonic at 200mph... There's no question in my mind where Slash got those licks. And of course he created his own licks and did different things too, but like every player he had his influences.

Regardless of liking the music you have to appreciate the history. It's like someone saying "chuck Berry, Albert King were shit, Angus is great" there's no Angus without Angus having heard  those early blues guitar players. I don't get a lot from listening to the old blues guys (maybe I will eventually) but I know they started the ball rolling, so I have great respect for that.

Also, if you want to learn how to play blues rock rhythm/solos, learn how to phrase, bend, use vibrato etc. Buy the back in black album and learn it from top to bottom. It was the best lesson that I ever unintentionally taught myself?

6 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

I think I have to go with Estranged as well, man I love that song and to hear Slash playing it was incredible! Coma did it for me It is such a bad ass song and I love every single part of it, I was very excited tehy did Out ta get me and Michelle such upbeat rock songs love it!! and then of course Jungle Always fun! Civil war was ,really good to and It was only the 2nd time ever I heard it live but it remains a masterpiece, and the vodoo child outro right after so much better than YouTube lol

I personally went nuts with Coma, that song is special to me, so hearing it played live almost brought tears to me eyes. I can be so pathetic at times:lol:. I also loved hearing I used to love her, such a fun song.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

Guns are Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Sleaze Rock. Wikipedia has spoken, topic solved. :D

And Hard Rock is a predecessor of Metal, so Guns can't be Metal. The reason GN'R got "Metal" awards is that the industry created that kind of label for any kind of harder rock music, even a punk album could get one of those "Metal" awards.

If WIKIPEDIA said...........?, but as you said 100%

• Like 1