Izzy Stradlin' Lyrics

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

As a country music fan I thought you'd be more into Izzy lyrics! :lol:

I think some people just prefer a more rock n' roll vibe to their lyrics as opposed to "deep" lyrics. Even the word "meaningful" is open to interpretation. To me, I find Axl's penmanship more impressive than Kurt Cobain's - a lot of Cobain's lyrics come off as plain gibberish under the guise of being abstract - and yet it seems most critics feel that Kurt's lyrics are more meaningful than Axl's "pretentious" work. One man's art is another man's garbage. 

I think Axl's reached higher peaks with his lyrics than Izzy but I think there is a charm to Izzy's work that people appreciate. It's more noticeable on UYI since that album is dominated by Axl and Slash. Whenever Izzy shows up, it's like a breath of fresh air because his style is earthier and not as indulgent as Axl and Slash. My all time favorite lyrics are from Axl songs by the way ;)

Don't get me wrong, I love what Izzy does. But I think he doesn't give a shit about meaning of lyrics, just the melody and where they fit.

Axl is on a whole different plane with regards to lyrics though. 

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

What always strikes me about Izzy's lyrics are their wry, no frills - almost verite' rock n' roll style which is a great contrast with Axl's more overwrought compositions. Two polar opposites stylistically. 

Oddly enough, when Izzy sings his lyrics, they sound even better - I much prefer Izzy vocals on his songs than when Axl sings them live. 

What are some favorite Izzy lyrical moments of yours?

Bullshit and contemplation
Gossip's their trade
If they knew half the real truth
What would they say
Well I'm past the point of concern
It's time to play
These last 4 years of madness
Sure put me straight
Don't get back 14 years
In just one day
So hard to keep my own head
Just go away
You know...just like a hooker she said
Nothin's for free

- 14 years

brownstone lyrics were likely written mostly by izzy and they sound really nice with axl singing

same for think about you and patience

but

i see what you mean

id like to listen to izzy singing every GNR song!

• Like 1

For some reason the Izzy lyrics I like best are from Old Hat (I also love the way his voice sounds on this one... it tickles me :wub:)

I don't really need no, no bag o' cocaine
I don't really need no, no fold o' smack
Been there and done that, that ain't too clever
I sure don't miss it, had enough of that crap

Bank robbers shootin' up North Hollywood yeah
Seems like a rerun livin' on this town
I go see a movie, try and entertain me
It don't half compare to the shit
That's goin down around here

This song (like many of his) has to do with moving on from his old life. 

That Axl - Izzy  /Yin and yang comparison is so spot on.. and that comparison goes beyond song writing. Axl is over the top/extravagant/ flamboyant 

Izzy is low key /cool/ "less is more"( which is one of the main reasons he is my favorite member of Guns N' Roses ) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

For some reason the Izzy lyrics I like best are from Old Hat (I also love the way his voice sounds on this one... it tickles me :wub:)

I don't really need no, no bag o' cocaine
I don't really need no, no fold o' smack
Been there and done that, that ain't too clever
I sure don't miss it, had enough of that crap

Bank robbers shootin' up North Hollywood yeah
Seems like a rerun livin' on this town
I go see a movie, try and entertain me
It don't half compare to the shit
That's goin down around here

This song (like many of his) has to do with moving on from his old life. 

That Axl - Izzy  /Yin and yang comparison is so spot on.. and that comparison goes beyond song writing. Axl is over the top/extravagant/ flamboyant 

Izzy is low key /cool/ "less is more"( which is one of the main reasons he is my favorite member of Guns N' Roses ) 

Nailed it. You need equal parts extravagant and low key/less is more. Only Izzy, you get an indie/garage band vibe. Only Axl, well...you get Chinese Democracy, the most expensive and indulgent rock album ever made. :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Nailed it. You need equal parts extravagant and low key/less is more. Only Izzy, you get an indie/garage band vibe. Only Axl, well...you get Chinese Democracy, the most expensive and indulgent rock album ever made. :lol:

well said! :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Only Axl, well...you get Chinese Democracy, the most expensive and indulgent rock album ever made. :lol:

I'm willing to bet that This I Love is the only song he wrote by himself. (And even then, Marco Beltrami had a hand in writing the orchestral arrangements)

Edited by Mendez

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

To me, I find Axl's penmanship more impressive than Kurt Cobain's - a lot of Cobain's lyrics come off as plain gibberish under the guise of being abstract - and yet it seems most critics feel that Kurt's lyrics are more meaningful than Axl's "pretentious" work.

To be fair, Kurt himself said his earlier lyrics were garbage that he spewed out of him at the last second

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

Back in town an'a all new friends
They sayin' how ya been?
Fucked up and outta place
That's how I felt back then

Badass.

Funny i was listening to some of Johnny Cash's American series that he did with Rick Rubin and i as thinking man it would've been cool if he did a version of Double Talkin'. Slowed down with Johnny's drawl would sound so good.

Edited by Silverburst80

4 hours ago, bigpoop said:

The lyrics in 'Time Gone By' and 'How Will It Go' are really good.

Did he write the words to 'Patience'? If so, I'd add that but I'm not sure of the credits there. I've seen it credited a few different ways.

Most likely yes. Well, here's Axl saying that the song was put together by Mr Izzy Stradlin so

Also, Angela Nicoletti, Izzy's exgf and the woman who supposedly inspired the song said she still has a tape with the original song Izzy gave to her back then. And you don't give your gf a song written by another one I assume. :lol:

• Like 1

I disagree with the suggestions that Izzy's doesn't give a damn about lyrics. listen to his solo work,  he has a simple narrative style, off the top of my head songs like River, Baby Rann and Seems to me, all take you on a journey, he has a story to tell. He favours short versus and will quite often go for the repetative hook but I think this is more to do with his singing style and knowing his voice limitations rather than his ability to write. Agreed he won't win the Nobel prize for literature with his lyrics but that  doesn't mean he is dismissive of the content.

Edited by Archtop
  • Like 3