The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

5 hours ago, WhazUp said:

They definitely did steal the show, but honestly not in a good way :lol:

The opening scream of Jungle is fucking awesome but what happens afterwords is the most WTF thing, like I remember watching that clip when I got back home from the 2016 shows I saw and I just thought it seemed like an alternate reality that was just a bad cornrow-laden dream that we thankfully are not in anymore lol

The braids were badass! 

I actually liked that lineup, but I'm enjoying this one too. :) 

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

he touched up the vocals on this one. Sounded much better the last time. I think he thought he could sing it with that mickey voice and it sound good but as you can tell from the first few lines he is barely audible Bc that vocal doesn’t project very well live. Which is why I think he worked to improve it. If the above video was at a gnr show it would be one of the better vocal performances of the night 

He sound like Bon Scott, but with that Axl's tone that is so Axl....you know what I mean? I think he sound great.

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Fernando says Axl knows about his mickey voice.

Axl was asked about his vocals and if they’ve changed in the last 10 years during the China Exchange interview.

i think Beta was mad at fans that said he didn’t try with GNR and said something along the lines of they are very different from gnr songs. 

What did Fernando ever say about that???

I wanna make myself clear, I’m don’t consider offensive asking about singing technique changes...I just wanna know how that came along and why???

Just now, Alejandro GNR said:

What did Fernando ever say about that???

I wanna make myself clear, I’m don’t consider offensive asking about singing technique changes...I just wanna know how that came along and why???

Someone asked Does Axl know he sounds like mickey? And I think Fernando answered yes or yea he’s aware. It was on a chat on here I believe. 

Axl says he changed his voice to make it clearer and I can’t remember if he alluded to it being something he needed to do or wanted to do. But he said it helped with what he had been able to do with ACDC.

i think it’s a fair question. I’d love a more in depth answer, I think it would be cool to hear him talk about why he sings a song this way, if it does damage to him the old way and so forth. Also hearing what kind of limitations that age has brought and the demand of singing GNR songs. 

Axl talking about his voice 

12:40 and again at 14:05 

i find it interesting that at 14:05 when he’s speaking on making his voice clearer for Chinese that what led him to mentioning that in a question that wasn’t necessarily asking about that is he goes into liking 70’s Elvis and then talks about Jazz but it seems he’s saying people like different eras and different things, him preferring 70’s Elvis was a preference and he felt Chinese was a different type of rock than UYI OR AFD so even though fans may not have liked it as much as his late 80’s early 90’s work he felt his voice needed to change to make Chinese and maybe some fans say I prefer 00’s Axl.

To me it just seemed like that little prelude on Elvis and different genres led him into comparing what he did with Chinese and how he evolved. Just a little thing I picked up on listening to that again.

Edited by IncitingChaos

16 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Someone asked Does Axl know he sounds like mickey? And I think Fernando answered yes or yea he’s aware. It was on a chat on here I believe. 

Axl says he changed his voice to make it clearer and I can’t remember if he alluded to it being something he needed to do or wanted to do. But he said it helped with what he had been able to do with ACDC.

i think it’s a fair question. I’d love a more in depth answer, I think it would be cool to hear him talk about why he sings a song this way, if it does damage to him the old way and so forth. Also hearing what kind of limitations that age has brought and the demand of singing GNR songs. 

EXACTLY!!!

New Voice Theory: So Axl for years has supposedly had a 4 hour vocal preparation process before shows, and if he ever messed it up he’d restart, and that’s why he was always late. So with him on time every show in the NITLT do you think he may have been rushing his preparation and that’s why he struggled with his vocals? This is a far out theory and it’s just more than likely his vocals are burnt.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

I think Axl's technique with GNR songs hasn't changed in a long time, and that's the issue. He needs to go to his vocal coach and relearn those songs ala AXL/DC.

Exactly! It’s like Slash was on Stern a few years ago and Howard plays Paradise City and Slash goes “wow..I haven’t heard the studio version in a while...it’s so slow! We play it way faster” Haha so you wonder if Axl took the time to go back to an album like approach like he did with ACDC if it would pay off

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Steven’s talking voice is similar to his singing one...so I guess that makes it easier.

Axl has an unnatural singing voice, its forced in some way, so I dont think they can be compared

Exactly! If Axl sang on his natural talking voice, there'd be no Mickey to complain about... Problem is that the chest raspy tone that Axl used to pull out in his early days is all but gone.

13 hours ago, trqster said:

Exactly! If Axl sang on his natural talking voice, there'd be no Mickey to complain about... Problem is that the chest raspy tone that Axl used to pull out in his early days is all but gone.

"EARLY DAYS" ? dude cmon.. his 2010 vocals were as amazing as his 80-90's. it was just 7-8 years ago. He still has the raspy mid range, but i think he cant use it any time he wants to because of his physical condition

7 hours ago, onurbayrak03 said:

"EARLY DAYS" ? dude cmon.. his 2010 vocals were as amazing as his 80-90's. it was just 7-8 years ago. He still has the raspy mid range, but i think he cant use it any time he wants to because of his physical condition

I disagree. The chest raspy mid-tone Axl voice that I refer to is this kind of voice that I believe is very hard to Axl too pull of anymore. If he'd try it it'd probably come out Mickey instead... But hey I'm not complaining here, Axl is getting old it's OK not being able to do stuff he used to do when he was younger. Any oldtimer like myself can certainly relate to that...

Edited by trqster

1 hour ago, trqster said:

I disagree. The chest raspy mid-tone Axl voice that I refer to is this kind of voice that I believe is very hard to Axl too pull of anymore. If he'd try it it'd probably come out Mickey instead... But hey I'm not complaining here, Axl is getting old it's OK not being able to do stuff he used to do when he was younger. Any oldtimer like myself can certainly relate to that...

I think a version of that voice is very reachable for Axl. It’s in his natural tone. Mickey is a case of trying to be something your not. Axl doesn’t have a natural falsetto and is so far away from it he’s actually a baritone and so when he tries to sing songs in a falsetto it sounds odd. I guess he’s doing it technically correct but it’s not natural and is a singing style he prefers in his later years likely due to its lack of pressure on his vocal chords.

but the video you posted above isn’t completely out of his abilities currently 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

on only women bleed he can still sing that line and sound good. If he practiced more in this tone it could be amazing 

Agree! Love that line....but I guess that tone would be very demanding to sustain for long on Axl's vocal chords.

25 minutes ago, trqster said:

Agree! Love that line....but I guess that tone would be very demanding to sustain for long on Axl's vocal chords.

I get that. The faster the song the higher the pitch he’ll likely have but take a song like November Rain and it’s not that fast and could be played slower...no reason he couldn’t find a lower tone that would suit that song much better 

19 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I get that. The faster the song the higher the pitch he’ll likely have but take a song like November Rain and it’s not that fast and could be played slower...no reason he couldn’t find a lower tone that would suit that song much better 

Could be, but there has to be some reason as to why he doesn't do it, because it'd sound much better (obvisously)

Axl's voice post-2010 era has always been a bit of a roller coaster ride, but there's a specific show in '12 where Axl simply was back to '10 rasp levels all over and IMO was one of the best modern era Gn'R shows, period. Any theories about how amazing Axl's voice was at this particular show? I mean he even rasped in Estranged! Out of curiosity both before and after this show he wasn't at the same level...

Just a plain and simple mind-blowing Axl perfomance that reminds us all the rock GOD he really is!