The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

It's obvious that he's struggling very hard here. He does about 3 different voices in the first verse and he doesn't get out any rasp. Hope he gets better for 

Weird performance and doesn't deliver the demonic voice in the third verse.

Obviously something's wrong with him and i hope he gets better for the next show

Okay so I just got off from Berlin show. Here is my point of view.

Axl came out of Van and went to stage like 10min after it.. i dont think he did proper vocal warm up.

MAN he was VERY slim and confident. I think the problems started after Better.

He blew his voice as He said during the show. He said "i fucking suck.. its the first time in a long time and i blew it" and they cut many many songs. 

Axl didnt take the shades of until Knockin on heavens door. He explained that signing tonight is like singing under water.. he cannot hear anythin that he sings. So maybe i heard wrong and actually his ears blew.. more later

1 minute ago, Kelmi said:

Axl came out of Van and went to stage like 10min after it.. i dont think he did proper vocal warm up.

He blew his voice as He said during the show. He said "i fucking suck.. its the first time in a long time and i blew it" and they cut many many songs. 

Axl didnt take the shades of until Knockin on heavens door. He explained that signing tonight is like singing under water.. he cannot hear anythin that he sings. So maybe i heard wrong and actually his ears blew.. more later

At what points during the show did he say these things? No good streams to make any of that out 

I expected him to potentially sound the worst he ever has, given last year was among his worst and he always starts a leg sounding weaker than the previous... but man, until I actually heard the recordings from today I still had a little sliver of optimism. He sounds worse than I even imagined. Just fucking brutal.

From what I have heard, this is probably the worst he has sounded. 

I know he is older but I cant say it's age considering how good he was in 2016, especially after the April GNR shows. He was consistent in GNR and ACDC. He had power, hit notes, and used a good amount of rasp. Not to mention he was running around the stage a lot more in 2016 for the GNR shows. I know It was 2 years ago, now, but maybe he is just getting bored of NITL? Its the third numerical year of the tour. That combined with a lack of preparation maybe? He had something to prove I'm 2010 and 2016 so it seemed like he tried harder. 

Who knows, though. I cant see him doing an ACDC tour like this. Angus might as well bring back Brian if Axl sounds like this. 

Edited by ZoSoRose

9 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

From what I have heard, this is probably the worst he has sounded. 

I know he is older but I cant say it's age considering how good he was in 2016, especially after the April GNR shows. He was consistent in GNR and ACDC. He had power, hit notes, and used a good amount of rasp. Not to mention he was running around the stage a lot more in 2016 for the GNR shows. I know It was 2 years ago, now, but maybe he is just getting bored of NITL? Its the third numerical year of the tour. That combined with a lack of preparation maybe? He had something to prove I'm 2010 and 2016 so it seemed like he tried harder. 

Who knows, though. I cant see him doing an ACDC tour like this

His voice has been slowly getting rougher as the years have gone on. He sounded super fresh in the first few 2016 shows, during the ACDC run his voice roughened and deepened a little, but it wasn't too detremental. It was more noticeablein 2017. His rasps sounded increasingly stretched during the arena leg in 2017 but he powered through using his stronger lower voice for more of the songs, but there is only so long you can get away with forcing it like that. That combined with probably a lack of practice probably led in large part to the mess in this show. 

His vocal tone is like a shot version of RIR 2011, at least at that show he had the clean voice to fall back on, even that sounded stretched and real thin at this show. The rasp had that same 'frog in throat' sound at both RIR 11 and the Berlin show.

ps, I think his voice was rough from the get go, notice how he missed certain key notes in Jungle (he totally missed those screams between the 2-3rd verse) but its true that he got much more conservative in both song choice and the way he sang past TIL's disaster.

Edited by koldweather

It happens to the best.

I don't think 'age' is an excuse considering how people like Steven Tyler still sound (even though he has a different vocal style)

But even he had his bad moments and tonight was one of Axl's bad moments. And I think that's totally okay. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheSeeker said:

If he blew out his voice that means the monitor system wasn't working and he sang harder to try and hear himself

Last time that happened in 1993 Axl fired the monitor guy

Interesting

It's tempting to dismiss the "blame the sound" excuses but in this instance you actually may be right. This wasn't just a bad performance. It was as if he couldn't even sing in key, even on easy songs.

His throat seemed fine up until the end of Rocket Queen. (Jungle was a bit ropey but what do you expect, he's been off for 6 months.) After that, it's like he couldn't even sing the correct melodies. That's not just voice problems, that's being in a stadium and not being able to hear yourself over the noise.

It's obvious that whatever happened with Axl today was not his normal struggles. Either he blew his voice out or the monitors were totally fucked.

They don't just start skipping songs left-and-right, or have Axl not even do the "good fucking night" if it were just a normal shit show.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

MAN he was VER slim and confident. I think the problems started after Better.

This!  He doesn't give shit about his fans.

Slim is definately not the word that can be used for Axl. You were probably to far away. He is as FAT as never before.

On 6/1/2018 at 5:54 PM, AxlSlashthebest said:

also why he work his voice for Axl/Dc and not for guns and roses ?

Because in AC/DC he's not the boss. Angus is. And Angus made him rehearse. In GNR there's no one to tell him what to do.

6 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

Okay people just to be clear.. todays problems were because axl couldnt hear himself anymore... happened after rocket queen solo.. he goes out of rhytmn and he stated this after scom

He was still pretty poor and weak before that, WTTJ was pretty dreadful and full of mickey and dropped notes, I don't think that was all of the story, though it may well have made a dodgy Axl sound even worse.

I wouldn't believe the 'sound issues' thing if he hadn't have been so out of time on certain songs. He not only sounded terrible, but completely lost at times. Still not really an excuse for vocals that bad tough, he's bitched out sound guys during shows before and if he's cutting songs anyway, could've taken a few minutes to fix the sound, or do it during Slash's 10-minute solo or something...

• Like 1

unfortunately I dont think his voice  will ever be the same. I’m pretty sure after 2016, he started struggling and by last summer, he sounded terrible, especially in those Europe shows...I think vocally, this show is the worst performance by Axl besides bridge school 2013 when he was sick....I guess Father Time is catching up to his voice. I hope he can rehearse and warm up to preserve whatever is left in the tank, but I’m not expecting any more 2016 gnr or AC/DC performances at this point unless if he has vocal chord surgery like the one Steven Tyler did or a voice lift procedure...

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I wouldn't believe the 'sound issues' thing if he hadn't have been so out of time on certain songs. He not only sounded terrible, but completely lost at times. Still not really an excuse for vocals that bad tough, he's bitched out sound guys during shows before and if he's cutting songs anyway, could've taken a few minutes to fix the sound, or do it during Slash's 10-minute solo or something...

Yeah I think there probably was issues based on the evidence.

I think however theyonly added to what was already a pretty poor performance from Axl, I think his voice wouldn'thave been all that different even without it. AsIsaid, if you listen to the 2011 rock in Rio performance, there are alot of similiarities, especially with that froggy throat sound at times, except tonight was worse!

That Nightrain must be an all time worst surely? (PS, I actually quite enjoy 'different' sounding performances, but it was shockingly bad compared to what you would expect.

49 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

If he blew out his voice that means the monitor system wasn't working and he sang harder to try and hear himself

Last time that happened in 1993 Axl fired the monitor guy

Interesting

The tech guys sucked, MANY people tweeted how the sound system was atrocious and even left early, so it was not just the monitors...but more. That certainly didn't help Axl's voice any. They need to get better sound techs!!! I mean come on.

Just catching up on a few videos now, Axl sounded typical NITL standard up until TIL it seems. Sounded pretty good on Better - hit the high note with ease, had a good bit of power and rasp in his voice. WTF happened? Maybe it was monitor problems.

Edited by MrSoftie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, koldweather said:

Yeah I think there probably was issues based on the evidence.

I think however theyonly added to what was already a pretty poor performance from Axl, I think his voice wouldn'thave been all that different even without it. AsIsaid, if you listen to the 2011 rock in Rio performance, there are alot of similiarities, especially with that froggy throat sound at times, except tonight was worse!

That Nightrain must be an all time worst surely? (PS, I actually quite enjoy 'different' sounding performances, but it was shockingly bad compared to what you would expect.

Yea, he definitely sounded bad despite whatever monitor issues might've been going on. This was worse than Japan 2017, Rio 2011 and Bridge School 2012, and I didn't think he'd be able to sound worse than that... but man, he just flat out doesn't give a fuck about GNR. He's made his fortune and just doesn't care about his old songs anymore, he doesn't rehearse, it's really like watching the worst of the 2011-14 shows but with Duff and Slash instead of Tommy, Bumble and DJ...

1 hour ago, Kelmi said:

What was he referring to?" First time in a long time"  as in sucking? If that is what he meant, then he is delusional.  He sounded somewhat decent at the beginning of the NITL tour in 2016. After that, it went all down hill.

2 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

What was he referring to?" First time in a long time"  as in sucking? If that is what he meant, then he is delusional.  He sounded somewhat decent at the beginning of the NITL tour in 2016. After that, it went all down hill.

I'm sure he was reffering to long break

First show in long time and he sucks