The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

12 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Have you even read what the concert goers said about the shitty sound and the fact that Axl's mic wasn't working half the time and they could not even f'in hear him?!

No, I don't think you did. If you want me to post some stuff of what they said I will be more than happy too. Yes, Axl had a bad night but it is 100% FACT that there were monitor and sound issues and that absolutely does not help any in the least.

Please, post everything, thanks!

Iron Maiden just started a new tour. Bruce just beat a fucking throat cancer. He's singing like a madman. No "sound issues" are able to make his voice sound worse. Amazing how those things only happen to our poor Axl.

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Hope it was just a “bad day”, but that shit was more than ‘technical difficulties’. Im not buying it

Me neither!

Technical difficulties were obviously present but how do technical difficulties make someon's voice CRACK? SQUEAL? GO OFF KEY? :facepalm:

Axl is not prepared for long tours anymore! He should have gone home last year... why does he put himself through this hell? :shrugs:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

Me neither!

Technical difficulties were obviously present but how do technical difficulties make someon's voice CRACK? SQUEAL? GO OFF KEY? :facepalm:

Axl is not prepared for long tours anymore! He should have gone home last year... why does he put himself through this hell? :shrugs:

If the technical difficulties were with the IEMs then it can cause cracking, squealing or going off key.  Put on a pair of headphones and play a GNR song loud enough that you can't hear yourself singing.  Then sing along and record what you sound like.  it won't be good.

Part of the 2002 VMA horror was a problem with Axl's IEMs.

5 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

If the technical difficulties were with the IEMs then it can cause cracking, squealing or going off key.  Put on a pair of headphones and play a GNR song loud enough that you can't hear yourself singing.  Then sing along and record what you sound like.  it won't be good.

lol Im sorry but there are 99% chances that if I do that and I sound like shit is basically because.... I SOUND LIKE SHIT AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO SING. :lol:

That's my reality though. Axl is a professional singer, I have never sung in public in my whole life.

I don’t think it’s fair at this point to assume it’s a bad night, or put it down to a lack of preparation, lack of fitness etc. Yesterday was a whole different animal, a whole different kind of failure which might not be related to the old “Axl is a rusty on the beginning of tours” thing. Also, it’s delusional to bring up the sound issues. His voice was failing and, by all accounts, he even mentioned it on stage.

Axl can’t win, really. We gave him shit for years for not pushing himself, and then he did just that in 2016, from outrasping Bach in My Michelle, to the 2016 classic Out ta get me performances, the massive 30 second LALD screams and the absolute abuse that were the AC/DC gigs. Two years later, his voice is shot to bits (it’s been shot to varying extent since the 2016 NA leg, let’s face it. It just hit rock bottom in Berlin). I guess he had a reason to pace himself since 2011 after all.

This is a guy that made a career singing with insane amounts of drive (rasp), way above his natural register, and reaching ridiculously high notes even higher up. Those are the 3 things any vocal coach will tell to not do regularly. Axl had second primes of sorts in 2006, 2010, and, to a lesser extent (still admirable for his age though), 2016. He lasted longer at a top level than Brian Johnson, Robert Plant, Bon Jovi, Lee Roth (before someone brings up Steven Tyler, listen to him talk – his singing voice is his talking voice). It really doesn’t make sense for a guy that doesn’t give a shit or doesn’t take care of his voice.

Things are what they are. Axl simply cannot keep performing right now. If I was close to him I’d advise him to:

1)      Address the issue publicly. No point in hiding it at this point, he was going through hell on stage

2)      Cancel the next dates

3)      Go see a doctor and a vocal coach. Get treatment, then training, take care of himself.

It seems harsh but it’s his health and future as a performer on the line here. Loads of singers have done that in the past, Hetfield, Grohl.

He’ll get a bit of shit, some people will forget how professional and reliable he has been for years now and put down to some “Axl is back at it” BS. Still, I firmly think that anyone who actually cares about him would see this as the best course of action after Berlin.

Edited by Pedrolg
  • Like 4

Would be better for everybody than charging top dollar for shit like that.

Most ticket buyers don't know about all of this. Like, don't ever go to one of the earlier shows of a tour because Axl "needs a couple of shows to get going". It's just wrong.

11 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Things are what they are. Axl simply cannot keep performing right now. If I was close to him I’d advise him to:

1)      Address the issue publicly. No point in hiding it at this point, he was going through hell on stage

2)      Cancel the next dates

3)      Go see a doctor and a vocal coach. Get treatment, then training, take care of himself.

It seems harsh but it’s his health and future as a performer on the line here. Loads of singers have done that in the past, Hetfield, Grohl.

He’ll get a bit of shit, some people will forget how professional and reliable he has been for years now and put down to some “Axl is back at it” BS. Still, I firmly think that anyone who actually cares about him would see this as the best course of action after Berlin.

This is reasonable. What should be done. But I don't see anyone in TB actually sitting down to talk to Axl this way. Plus, Axl is stubborn as well... It is hard to tell who's pushing him through a 3rd year on the road.

Is it himself? Is it TB? Is it the promoters? Slash & Duff? Their overall greedyness? Personally, I think they should have wrapped it all up last year. Axl's instrument is his voice, he cannot compare or compete with Slash guitar or Duff bass. If those instruments break, they get an awesome replacement right away. Axl can't do that with his voice.

I understand it must be really hard for a singer to accept that they have a problem with their voice. It must hurt your ego really bad. But the results are worse, the criticism, the reviews.... had it been a roughier audience, I am sure they would have ended bottled. They were lucky audience reacted maturely, in spite of how bad this show was.

Edited by killuridols

We are getting now the same that's occurred from 2011 on, Axl prepared himself for the 2009/10 world tour and was sharp as hell, then relapsed and you all know the rest. That's his problem, incredibly talented but the laziest dude of the music industry.

He should definitely give Ron Anderson a call, he was his vocal coach during the 2016 run and helped our guy deliver his best in ages. 

Axl Rose and Ron Anderson

10 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This is reasonable. What should be done. But I don't see anyone in TB actually sitting down to talk to Axl this way. Plus, Axl is stubborn as well... It is hard to tell who's pushing him through a 3rd year on the road.

Is it himself? Is it TB? Is it the promoters? Slash & Duff? Their overall greedyness? Personally, I think they should have wrapped it all up last year. Axl's instrument is his voice, he cannot compare or compete with Slash guitar or Duff bass. If those instruments break, they get an awesome replacement right away. Axl can't do that with his voice.

I understand it must be really hard for a singer to accept that they have a problem with their voice. It must hurt your ego really bad. But the results are worse, the criticism, the reviews.... had it been a roughier audience, I am sure they would have ended bottled. They were lucky audience reacted maturely, in spite of how bad this show was.

Axl seems fully aware of what's going on, and is probably devastated. I wonder if he is maybe contractually tied down with heavy fines and stuff for cancelations because of his past. Still, I hope he doesn't keep performing.

• Sad 1

For all the shit we give him (justified sometimes), we as fans should support him if he takes a break to look into his voice. It really, really seems like the right thing to do right now. A performance on Wednesday might shed further light on it, but things seem dire.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Axl seems fully aware of what's going on, and is probably devastated. I wonder if he is maybe contractually tied down with heavy fines and stuff for cancelations because of his past. Still, I hope he doesn't keep performing.

I don't know but if he's suffering with his voice, it should be contemplated that he can cancel the tour... :shrugs: Is it more important the money or that he dies onstage? Have we all become so wild?

Shakira cancelled her tour, she had a bleeding throat, just when she was about to start it. Got the best doctor from the USA, had surgery and now she's back. Actually, yesterday was her first show in Hamburg. And I'd say Shakira is much more hype than GN'R right now.

So I don't see why they couldn't cancel if needed...... the way show was yesterday, its not worth one penny of the ticket price.

2 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

For all the shit we give him (justified sometimes), we as fans should support him if he takes a break to look into his voice. It really, really seems like the right thing to do right now. A performance on Wednesday might shed further light on it, but things seem dire.

Wasn't he on a break til 2 days ago? What was he doing during this time? If he didn't take care of his voice during his long break, why would he do it now during the tour?

Just now, edsonandhudson said:

Wasn't he on a break til 2 days ago? What was he doing during this time? If he didn't take care of his voice during his long break, why would he do it now during the tour?

Maybe it's not a matter of taking care of his voice, maybe it's a medical issue, or his voice is simply dying out. He needs to look into the issue and sort it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

You don't know real reasons why yesterday it sounded like it did. I can't believe that Axl just went on stage directly from his car. It was preparation before tour and he was ok. If, as many of you think, he has vocal issues, they just canceled tour before it started. 

3 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I'm praying for a strong performance Wednesday and am hopeful. I really think the sound problems and flying in a day or 2 before with flight problems was a factor. He was preforming at what 10:00 am his local time? That's like 12 hours before his preferred take the stage time. All of this might have impacted his voice then with sound issues..... but we don't know what he might be experiencing.

5 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Found video of Axl saying he sucks before Slither. Can anyone understand the rest of his sentence?

Something about the sound stage plus.....

does his speaking voice sound different? 

3 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I'm praying for a strong performance Wednesday and am hopeful. I really think the sound problems and flying in a day or 2 before with flight problems was a factor. He was preforming at what 10:00 am his local time? That's like 12 hours before his preferred take the stage time. All of this might have impacted his voice then with sound issues..... but we don't know what he might be experiencing.

I read - one German GNR fan said that the concert had to end earlier because of the law in Germany ( he called it : neighbourhood law)

21 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Found video of Axl saying he sucks before Slither. Can anyone understand the rest of his sentence?

Sounds like "...going on stage and getting blown out sound-wise. Plus I suck."