The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

1 hour ago, Politania said:

I read - one German GNR fan said that the concert had to end earlier because of the law in Germany ( he called it : neighbourhood law)

I call BS on that one unless they changed it in the last 3 years. AC/DC in 2015 played til ~11pm in the Olympiastadion Berlin, same in 2010. Also this law doesn't affect Open Air concerts where there are different curfews depending on the venue. It's about noise in your flat and stuff like that.

It's clear to me that when he has too raspy voice.. like uncontrolled raspy.. he tend to save it in his mickey mode not wearing out his throat. Yesterday was a day like that. Every show when he's been more Mickey there's always a few seconds here and then when the rasp cuts through.. and it's not of the healthy kind.. this concert it happens during TIL..

20 minutes ago, slammerjam said:

I call BS on that one unless they changed it in the last 3 years. AC/DC in 2015 played til ~11pm in the Olympiastadion Berlin, same in 2010. Also this law doesn't affect Open Air concerts where there are different curfews depending on the venue. It's about noise in your flat and stuff like that.

It doesnt happen to every concert. Dunno why it was that short in Berlin this time

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Me neither!

Technical difficulties were obviously present but how do technical difficulties make someon's voice CRACK? SQUEAL? GO OFF KEY? :facepalm:

Axl is not prepared for long tours anymore! He should have gone home last year... why does he put himself through this hell? :shrugs:

Here's a hint, it starts with an "m" ends with an "y" and in the middle is "one".  

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

Me neither!

Technical difficulties were obviously present but how do technical difficulties make someon's voice CRACK? SQUEAL? GO OFF KEY? :facepalm:

Axl is not prepared for long tours anymore! He should have gone home last year... why does he put himself through this hell? :shrugs:

Seriously? When his IEMs not working he can't hear himself so he hasn't got full control of his voice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sl4yer said:

Seriously? When his IEMs not working he can't hear himself so he hasn't got full control of his voice

Do you realize that people have been singing for centuries, right?

All of a suddden, everything's technology's fault! :lol:

4 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Maybe it's not a matter of taking care of his voice, maybe it's a medical issue, or his voice is simply dying out. He needs to look into the issue and sort it.

Hey. You've been doing a lot of speculation on Axl's medical condition. One thing you NEVER EVER want to do is to assume someone's medical condition. I'm not sure where you are from, but in the U.S. it's actually against the Americans with Disabilities Act.  

Rather than assuming something you may or may not know, how about just acknowledging that Axl and the rest of GNR  had a  one off performance, which had a plethora of issues? We'll see how things go in the next couple of shows. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Do you realize that people have been singing for centuries, right?

All of a suddden, everything's technology's fault! :lol:

i don't think they had a enormous PA system+a band with drums and electric guitars and were singing in a stadium full of people screaming, in the medieval time. 

Ofc there's gonna be trouble when a singer can't hear himself.  BUT i agree on that you can't blame everything on technology. 

I hope he get himself toghether and if he's sick i rather want him to postpone a show or 2 to get well.  

Edited by estranged_85

1 minute ago, estranged_85 said:

i don't think they had a enormous PA system+a band with drums and electric guitars and were singing in a stadium full of people screaming, in the medieval time. 

Ofc there's gonna be trouble when a singer can't hear himself.  BUT i agree on that you can't blame everything on technology. 

I hope he get himself toghether and if he's sick i rather want him to postpone a show or 2 to get well.  

He can always stop the show or let his tech know that his IEM are not working, or giving him trouble, whatever...

Wouldn't be the first time he stopped a show and this time, unlike 99% of the other cases, it would be justified :shrugs:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pedrolg said:

Wow. Really? What am I assuming? I specifically said maybe in my post. I'm sure I'm not breaking any laws for that, in the U.S. or anywhere else in the world.

I will not acknowledge that it was a one off performance because it was not. Axl's level of singing has steadily deteriorated since the end of 2016. The SA shows of the end of 2016 were worse than the NA shows before them, and the 2017 gigs, in turn, worse than those. Axl already had at least one absolutely disastrous performance in 2017 (RIR), and plenty of simply bad ones (Sloan, Apollo etc). Yesterday he was at his absolute worse since Bridge School 2012, and while sound issues probably did play a part they dont cause voice cracks, nor they cause inability to reach notes that never, ever presented a problem.

Yesterday 1) Axl said his singing sucked twice on stage 2) they did not play YCBM for the first time in a full concert since the 90's 3) He failed to hit and reach for notes he was confortable with even in 2011 4) he cut the setlist short after

So excuse me for thinking there MIGHT BE something up with his vocal chords, which would amount to a medical issue. 

You are making assumptions that he has a medical issue. If the guy does then I'm sure they'll cancel the tour. Until they actually do say it, don't make assumptions. I went to  concerts in both 2016 and 2017. He didn't have an issue in both concerts. As for the shortened setlist, some people who live in that area stated that there is a 10pm curfew. 

6 minutes ago, Draguns said:

You are making assumptions that he has a medical issue. If the guy does then I'm sure they'll cancel the tour. Until they actually do say it, don't make assumptions. I went to  concerts in both 2016 and 2017. He didn't have an issue in both concerts. As for the shortened setlist, some people who live in that area stated that there is a 10pm curfew. 

To be fair, I truly hope he is fine and that this was some sort of fluke, but I just don't believe it at this point. If he doesn't improve by thousands of nautical miles this week he will, sadly, be absolutely slammed at Download.

9 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

To be fair, I truly hope he is fine and that this was some sort of fluke, but I just don't believe it at this point. If he doesn't improve by thousands of nautical miles this week he will, sadly, be absolutely slammed at Download.

He'll be fine. For whatever reason, he's always sings badly his first show and then improves. It's been like this since they broke out. 

42 minutes ago, Draguns said:

in the U.S. it's actually against the Americans with Disabilities Act.  

That act is to prevent employers from discriminating against/not hiring a person based on their disabilities and requires them to make necessary accommodations for said person. Speculating if someone might be sick on an internet forum doesn't break that law. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Gibson_Guy87 said:

That act is to prevent employers from discriminating against/not hiring a person based on their disabilities and requires them to make necessary accommodations for said person. Speculating if someone might be sick on an internet forum doesn't break that law. 

I know what it entails.  The point is not to make assumptions about one's health. 

5 hours ago, killuridols said:

I don't know but if he's suffering with his voice, it should be contemplated that he can cancel the tour... :shrugs: Is it more important the money or that he dies onstage? Have we all become so wild?

Shakira cancelled her tour, she had a bleeding throat, just when she was about to start it. Got the best doctor from the USA, had surgery and now she's back. Actually, yesterday was her first show in Hamburg. And I'd say Shakira is much more hype than GN'R right now.

So I don't see why they couldn't cancel if needed...... the way show was yesterday, its not worth one penny of the ticket price.

I don't know, I'd say he was a bit sick and I'd also say that he wasn't preparing as hard as he should have.

The no 1 rule of touring is DON'T GET SICK! Now, everybody is susceptible to flus and whatnot so it's understandable that yes! shit happens... but 6-8 weeks out from this run of shows, was he in the gym? was he doing the rehearsals, singing for a few hours a day? I don't have the answers, or any knowledge of what he does or doesn't do! but we say it every time a tour leg starts and yeh maybe Berlin was legitimate sickness, like Bridge school; but the guy just doesn't seem to grasp the whole ageing thing or that his voice isn't a luggage bag, that can be thrown to one side and forgotten about until it's needed again. 

All I know is that, people don't care if he's sick or not! if he turns up to Download or wherever the next gig is and he doesn't tear that gig a part, he will get blasted from all sides, especially if the press are there. 

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

but 6-8 weeks out from this run of shows, was he in the gym? was he doing the rehearsals, singing for a few hours a day?

well, he's clearly not been to the gym for quite a long time :ph34r: and I don't know about the rest... looks like he wasn't.... but he was soundchecking the day before :shrugs:

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

All I know is that, people don't care if he's sick or not! if he turns up to Download or wherever the next gig is and he doesn't tear that gig a part, he will get blasted from all sides, especially if the press are there. 

Yeah, German press didn't sugarcoat it. Not sure what to expect from British press but if he does bad at Download, I don't wanna know.... Im scared that audience (which is not 100% gnrfans) will not react as respectful as the germans :nervous:

6 hours ago, killuridols said:

lol Im sorry but there are 99% chances that if I do that and I sound like shit is basically because.... I SOUND LIKE SHIT AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO SING. :lol:

That's my reality though. Axl is a professional singer, I have never sung in public in my whole life.

I'm not saying it was the ONLY issue but I've seen other singers on live broadcasts sound bad and you see them playing with the IEMs and sometimes yanking them out.  To sing correctly, you have to be able to hear what you sound like.

In the Berlin performance, there was clearly something wrong beyond Axl not practicing or not adjusting the way he sings to his current voice.  There were times when no sound came out of him.  Either he has a serious issue with his vocal chords, he was sick, there were technical issues with the IEMs or some combination.  That wasn't just deterioration.  It isn't normal to go from sounding OK in some parts of various songs to not being able to sing AT all in just a few months.

Not to be mean, but the current rank of abilities and performance goes as such

Slash, Duff, Fortus, Frank, Dizzy, Melissa, Slash guitar tech, Axl. 

I’d prefer 2013 Axl. He was out of shape and had a strange mustache but he was consistent. 

But to be fair he truly must have not been able to hear himself on Slither Bc he has no idea where he’s at on the chorus 

7 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

In the Berlin performance, there was clearly something wrong beyond Axl not practicing or not adjusting the way he sings to his current voice.  There were times when no sound came out of him.  Either he has a serious issue with his vocal chords, he was sick, there were technical issues with the IEMs or some combination.  That wasn't just deterioration.  It isn't normal to go from sounding OK in some parts of various songs to not being able to sing AT all in just a few months.

Berlin show was the baddest in a long time, but that doesn't mean he was great before. Last year his overall performance and voice started to decline.. actually, by the end of 2016 he started having problems and has not got any better since then.

12 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Berlin show was the baddest in a long time, but that doesn't mean he was great before. Last year his overall performance and voice started to decline.. actually, by the end of 2016 he started having problems and has not got any better since then.

Agree but I've never heard him literally not be able to sing some parts.  His voice was weak/Mickey but nothing near Berlin.  There's no way without some medical or major technical issue that a natural decline like that would happen over a few months.  If that was an AC/DC show, Angus probably would have cancelled it half way through.

I'm actually impressed that Axl tried to do the show and didn't just not show up or walk off stage in the middle and never return.

6 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Agree but I've never heard him literally not be able to sing some parts.  His voice was weak/Mickey but nothing near Berlin.  There's no way without some medical or major technical issue that a natural decline like that would happen over a few months.  If that was an AC/DC show, Angus probably would have cancelled it half way through.

I'm actually impressed that Axl tried to do the show and didn't just not show up or walk off stage in the middle and never return.

I have no idea anymore :shrugs: