The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Agree but I've never heard him literally not be able to sing some parts.  His voice was weak/Mickey but nothing near Berlin.  There's no way without some medical or major technical issue that a natural decline like that would happen over a few months.  If that was an AC/DC show, Angus probably would have cancelled it half way through.

I'm actually impressed that Axl tried to do the show and didn't just not show up or walk off stage in the middle and never return.

It is not health. He just sucks. He's only had a 1-2yr period, since his return in 2001, in which his vocals were at a respectable level compared to his 87-93 years. I don't know what the guy did to his vocal cords during his seclusion years, but whatever it was, it killed his voice. Even his vocals during that 1-2 yr period sounded forced. It took a lot of effort for him to rasp as opposed to it being "effortless" in his prime years.  

I would love to see a reunited Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven with a new singer. That would kick some serious ass.

• Like 1

It's strange how six months off can affect his vocals.  Axl gave phenomenal vocal performances at the back to back Toronto shows last year.  Guess we're back to the slow starts.

One wonders if there's much to the recording rumours.  I would suspect that if Axl were singing often for recordings he'd have a stronger start to this tour.  The fact it's another slow start leads me to believe that he's either dealing with a vocal issue that can be resolved with time or he didn't sing much between the end of last year's NA tour and the European tour this year.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, downzy said:

It's strange how six months off can affect his vocals.  Axl gave phenomenal vocal performances at the back to back Toronto shows last year.  Guess we're back to the slow starts.

One wonders if there's much to the recording rumours.  I would suspect that if Axl were singing often for recordings he'd have a stronger start to this tour.  The fact it's another slow start leads me to believe that he's either dealing with a vocal issue that can be resolved with time or he didn't sing much between the end of last year's NA tour and the European tour this year.  

Hate to be the negative guy but I fear it’s much worse than a slow start- I’ve never seen him struggle so badly with singing songs he used to nail even at his lowest points. As a almost professional singer I can tell that he’s suffering greatly in trying to sing these songs and is losing it. His voice is cracking, he has issues  hitting notes, is jumping in between voices...I feel as if his voice is permanently damaged right now and something is up besides just a crappy start. I’m not even saying this to be negative but rather as a huge Axl fan crushed that my favorite singer is a shadow of the man he used to be vocally. 

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Hate to be the negative guy but I fear it’s much worse than a slow start- I’ve never seen him struggle so badly with singing songs he used to nail even at his lowest points. As a almost professional singer I can tell that he’s suffering greatly in trying to sing these songs and is losing it. His voice is cracking, he has issues  hitting notes, is jumping in between voices...I feel as if his voice is permanently damaged right now and something is up besides just a crappy start. I’m not even saying this to be negative but rather as a huge Axl fan crushed that my favorite singer is a shadow of the man he used to be vocally. 

To each their own but I think you might be jumping the gun here.  

I'd be more inclined to agree if we knew with certainty that Axl a) wasn't sick during the performance; b) struggled at the end of last year's tour (he didn't); c) he's worn out his vocals from recording new material.  If his vocals were irrevocably damaged, we should have seen it last year.  For all we know it could be a combination of illness and taking time off from singing.  

Time will tell.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

I'd be more inclined to agree if we knew with certainty that Axl a) wasn't sick during the performance; b) struggled at the end of last year's tour (he didn't); c) he's worn out his vocals from recording new material.  If his vocals were irrevocably damaged, we should have seen it last year.  For all we know it could be a combination of illness and taking time off from singing.  

Time will tell.  

There were also ear monitor issues...Axl said he couldn't hear himself and at times that it was like he was underwater. There were major technical issues that night with sound, monitors, etc. 

1 hour ago, SWINGTRADER said:

It is not health. He just sucks. He's only had a 1-2yr period, since his return in 2001, in which his vocals were at a respectable level compared to his 87-93 years. I don't know what the guy did to his vocal cords during his seclusion years, but whatever it was, it killed his voice. Even his vocals during that 1-2 yr period sounded forced. It took a lot of effort for him to rasp as opposed to it being "effortless" in his prime years.  

I would love to see a reunited Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven with a new singer. That would kick some serious ass.

The closest we got to a vintage Axl was 2010. So It Is amusing to see some of these negative comments directed at him when he has been giving these type of performances for the majority of the second half of his career. It certainly hasn't hurt ticket sales considering the NITL Tour Is the fourth highest grossing tour of all time. With those numbers, It would seem as If the people attending the shows are most likely having a good time and enjoying what they are hearing, as many people attended more than one show. 

22 minutes ago, downzy said:

Time will tell.  

Totally fair. I just worry about the guy approaching his 60’s and still having to sing these songs- it’s not easy for anyone, young or old. 

Just now, ChristmasFnatic said:

Tyler is on another level. Releases new music since and actually rehearse.

Yes, I wish Axl would think about his health and his voice and be professional. But it's Axl Rose. He turns more hermit than Luke Skywalker on Ahch-to.

Tyler's singing style is many times easier than Axls however, and as great as he is, he could never have pulled off what Axl did with AcDC.

I to have a sneaky feeling he has a damaged voice. Not to say it can't come back but what he did during this concert was to force it out by trying to effectively shout the notes out with a really unstable forced sounding rasp, which is why Nightrain sounded trash as you can only force it so much before it gives way.

Kinda reminds me of those 91 concerts with his dodgy voice, except Axl can't just scream his way through it like he did back then.

• Like 1

That atrocious rendition of This I Love cannot be due to other than the fact that he didn't sing a single word of the song since the last show.

If he rehearsed, took care of his voice and that's the result, we should all be very worried.

1 hour ago, AFGnR said:

That atrocious rendition of This I Love cannot be due to other than the fact that he didn't sing a single word of the song since the last show.

If he rehearsed, took care of his voice and that's the result, we should all be very worried.

That type of vocal disintegration doesn't just come from laziness I'm afraid, there was absolutely something else at play there, even the clean voice wasn't there at that point, hence why he dropped the notes on TIL and some other songs later in the set.

5 minutes ago, Stro said:

I just want to point out why you're talking about Steven Tyler that they have a back up singer that sounds just like him who hits all the high notes he can't hit anymore. 

Really?  Interesting.

I know it was a few years ago but when he was on American Idol, he'd sing to the contestants sometimes and was hitting high notes then.  He was well into his 60's at that point.

6 minutes ago, Stro said:

I just want to point out why you're talking about Steven Tyler that they have a back up singer that sounds just like him who hits all the high notes he can't hit anymore. 

Video or source of so called Aerosmith’s backup singer?  I have been to many of their concerts, I dont see any backup singer.

4 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Video or source of so called Aerosmith’s backup singer?  I have been to many of their concerts, I dont see any backup singer.

It’s their keyboard player who is set up behind the amps. It used to be Russ Irwin, but it’s been a guy named Buck Johnson since 2014. But they do, and have had, a backup vocalist that helps Steven out on the high notes / harmonies.

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Like 1

Also, once again, Steve's singing voice is very, very close to his talking voice. It's within his natural register, and this is tremendously important for longevity. Singing above your natural register is one of the biggest voice killers out there.