The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

It becomes clearer each day that AC/DC took its toll on Axl. He is losing range, and not going for high notes he never had a problem before.

it all started with those Hells Bells voice cracks, which started appearing in GNR shows in 2017. Now it seems something more severe is going on.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

This!  He doesn't give shit about his fans.

Slim is definately not the word that can be used for Axl. You were probably to far away. He is as FAT as never before.

Please spread your negative statements somewhere else, no need to be so harsh. may I also say that for the average American his age he is quite slim obesitas is a huge problem in that country.

37 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I won't slam the guy as i truly don't think it is a matter of rehearsals or effort. He's been of for some time now, I fear 2016 might have been Axl's last good run.

Did you even attend any GNR concerts in 2017 or did you watch it through YouTube? 

5 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Did you even attend any GNR concerts in 2017 or did you watch it through YouTube? 

Please don't start saying recorded footage magically makes vocals sound worse again I don't think I can handle any more of that. If anything it sounds better than it actually is when you're there because of the atmosphere. 

• Like 2

Yeah, that's BS. And i actually went to shows in 2017 and 2016. There were also proshots and soundboards from Apollo, RIR and Fórum.

Axl has been bad for a while now, and hasn't been really great with GNR since 2016's US leg.

Berlin imo is a case of putting the tour on hold to see a doctor and a vocal coach to sort things out. The man can't sing right now. It happens.

8 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I saw them 3 times in 2016 and 2 times in 2017 - even when you're there, 10 ft away from the guy, you can tell when he sounds bad. The show in Vancouver, while having some good moments like I Feel Good or Nightrain, had some absolutely terrible moments like TIL, November Rain, or Better, he really just coasted through about 90% of the show. The next show at the Gorge Amphitheater was noticeably better/more consistent. It's not a matter of youtube/recordings somehow altering his vocals... if he sounds good or bad live, he'll sound good or bad on the recording whether it's pro-shot or cellphone-shot.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Please don't start saying recorded footage magically makes vocals sound worse again I don't think I can handle any more of that. If anything it sounds better than it actually is when you're there because of the atmosphere. 

Not really. Just look at what happened today with the sound. My point  was that rather than sitting at home listening to a stream, go out to a concert or two to judge. I went to concerts at MetLife and MSG. Both times he sounded fantastic.  You can even hear it in the recording on YouTube as well.  

If he sounds consistently good or bad at a live concert that you have been to then you have a point. Otherwise don't be a keyboard warrior who  complains about everything. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Not really. Just look at what happened today with the sound. My point  was that rather than sitting at home listening to a stream, go out to a concert or two to judge. I went to concerts at MetLife and MSG. Both times he sounded fantastic.  You can even hear it in the recording on YouTube as well.  

If he sounds consistently good or bad at a live concert that you have been to then you have a point. Otherwise don't be a keyboard warrior who  complains about everything. 

I'm sorry but this is totally illogical haha. It doesn't matter if it's on YouTube or not I can still hear how he sounds. I get the going out and enjoying a concert part but when we're referring as to whether he sounds good or not you don't need to be there to hear it, recorded footage is more than enough. I don't see how wanting Axl to put some effort into his performances and actually improve is being a keyboard warrior :shrugs:

Die Akustik war schlecht. Man könnte zum Glück Slash hören aber von Axel nur jedes fünfte Wort. #gunsnroses #berlin #Olympiastadion

Translated from German by Microsoft

The acoustics were bad. One could fortunately hear slash but Axl only every fifth word. #gunsnroses #berlin #Olympiastadion

Awful. Those sound tech guys need to be fuckin fired! :max:

Hey @LiveNationGSA! Where can I get my money for the @gunsnroses concert in Berlin again? Instead of music only unbearable noise on the ranks, the people have actually fled home, you have not even recognized the songs. #gnrberlin @gunsnroses #Oly_Berlin

5 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

He supposedly has a great ear for music but if he can't tell he sucks....

Do you think Fernando would honestly tell him how bad he sounds?

Every day of his life is "WOW GREAT - YOU'RE BETTER THAN EVER"

He lives in Team Brazil's bubble of suck

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 3

From the little bit I heard of Berlin, there was clearly something wrong.  Either Axl was sick/getting over a sickness or there were issues with the IEMs or some combination.  It wasn't just the Mickey of recent years.  He wasn't able to do stuff that he was able to do a few months ago in his "vocal zone."  He was skipping lines, his voice was failing to make sounds.

If he actually told the audience that he sucks (which I'd like to see video of) then it is more evidence of something wrong.  If his voice permanently went away, I don't think he'd comment on it.  He'd pretend everything is normal and try to get through the leg of the tour.

IEMs not working could definitely cause things to get that bad.  Put on a pair of headphones and play a GNR song loud enough that you can't really hear your own voice.  Then record yourself singing along.  It will sound bad.

Anybody who thinks Berlin sounded good is delusional.  However, this isn't normal and not like what we've heard from Axl before.  If this is permanent then he needs vocal chord surgery otherwise it is time to retire. 

• Like 1