Which lead guitarist provided the best rhythm playing in Gnr?

Who do you think provided the strongest rhythm playing when not soloing? For me it would have to be Finck, really liked his rhythm playing in Jungle, not a fan of Ashba` s tone and Bucket and Bumble were probably a bit light on their rhythm playing, so Slash would have to be my next favourite. Anyone have any thoughts?

1 minute ago, Brownstone drum said:

Was more thinking of live, but yes Bucket and Bumble did good on cd

In a live set? Robin and Bumblefoot. You could basically feel how much the bands sound has lost after the departure from Robin. 

Slash did some amazing rhythm parts, however those are in direct comparison to Izzy.  Izzy kicks his ass on rhythm!  Slash especially falls short of Izzy when he's trying to double Izzy's parts, IMO.  Gets mechanical.

If the mob will allow an "Axls band" guitarist, I would agree that Finck did really great rhythms that made a huge impact on the quality of the music.

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Slash did some amazing rhythm parts, however those are in direct comparison to Izzy.  Izzy kicks his ass on rhythm!  Slash especially falls short of Izzy when he's trying to double Izzy's parts, IMO.  Gets mechanical.

If the mob will allow an "Axls band" guitarist, I would agree that Finck did really great rhythms that made a huge impact on the quality of the music.

Of course Izzy is the best rhythm guitar player GNR ever had. But this topic is based on the lead guitarists and since I don't think you can consider Izzy a lead guitarist of GNR - even if he plays some solos -  it's Slash for me.

His parts have to be played the way he's playing them and that's not something anybody can duplicate. It's his sloppiness, his sound, his rhythm and of course his common touch to Izzy that makes them special.

• Like 1

Slash.  

live slash puts his rhythm chops on display on dtj before the verses.  really fun to watch.  

axl's employee lineups don't count.  They were just covering slash and izzy's parts and the enablers let them call it gnr.  

3 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

Slash.  

live slash puts his rhythm chops on display on dtj before the verses.  really fun to watch.  

axl's employee lineups don't count.  They were just covering slash and izzy's parts and the enablers let them call it gnr.  

Yeah Slash does some great choppy rythym play live, but Finck also put some solid rhythm down on some of the old songs live

Edited by Brownstone drum
Spelling mistake

5 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Yeah Slash does some great choppy rythym play live, but Finck also put some solid rhythm down on some of the old songs live

Slash and Robin as duo would be awesome.

hard to say tbh. so let's start analytically. which guys have ever played lead guitar in GNR? here's a list:
Tracii Guns, Slash, Robin Finck, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba. 

sometimes leads were shared - between Robin and Buckethead, Robin and Bumblefoot, Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba.

and as of 2017, we have no existing recording of GNR with Tracii Guns on guitars, so we can safely ignore his stint.

so... that's just five guys, am I right?

22 minutes ago, zombux said:

hard to say tbh. so let's start analytically. which guys have ever played lead guitar in GNR? here's a list:
Tracii Guns, Slash, Robin Finck, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba. 

sometimes leads were shared - between Robin and Buckethead, Robin and Bumblefoot, Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba.

and as of 2017, we have no existing recording of GNR with Tracii Guns on guitars, so we can safely ignore his stint.

so... that's just five guys, am I right?

Yep, would say Slash and Finck provide the heaviest rhythm

3 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Yep, would say Slash and Finck provide the heaviest rhythm

Slash and Robin would complement each other really good in GN'R. And we could finally hear Finck's original TIS solo live

On 7/15/2017 at 1:12 PM, Free Bird said:

Slash

There's only two guitarists that can be considered members of GNR. Slash and Izzy. The rest are hired hands and regardless of their talent, creativity, virtuousity or style they aren't able to hold up the candle to the originals.

There shouldn't have been any more responses after this post.

• Like 3