THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Every classroom had a lone Man U fan who used to say bollocks like

Isn't it amazing how you would find United fans everywhere? Just glorious. I have mentioned before how funny it was to see United posters on the walls of a hut belonging to head hunters in Borneo. And they didn't even have television sets! Growing up in the 80s or 90s, people just knew United was the best team. It didn't need any justification. It was just a team that thrilled and excited people everywhere. Being a United fan was the default. Unless you grew up in the shadows of another club's stadium, of course.

And that's why fans of lesser teams will always fear United. They know their history. They know it is only a matter of time. 

Edited by SoulMonster

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What? Mourinho wasn't a long-term signing. Whoever told you that s your enemy. Mourinho lasts two three seasons and leaves in disgrace. That's him. He was a mercenary manager. A big name that could draw quality players. A big name that could quickly turn things around after the failures of Moyes and Gaal. 

We need long-term thinking. Build not buy. Mourinho was the opposite. You don't buy someone who has just failed and costs a fortune and has a horrible personality and who plays boring football to take over the legacy of Ferguson. Hiring Mourinho was panicky. The decision to fire him was the best decision this team has made in 3 years. And there's been many bad decisions. Like hiring Sanchez. Again, short-sighted. Hoping there would still be some power left in those old legs, even if he obviously was on the turn down in whatever mediocre club they found him. Buy young, buy cheap, buy for the future, and buy with a strategy beyond just getting celebrities.

Griezman, Mbappe, Varana and Pogma don't make a Manchester United. These are hired mercenaries. They make a Manchester City...or a Chelsea. What United needs are local lads, British players. Names like Jones and Morrison, McBoring and McBland. Sturdy, no-nonsense guys, and one crazy Irishman to top it off. And then sprinkle it with a few world-class players that lifts it all. And a down-to-the earth manager who understands he has the best job in the world, knows how to get these guys to work together, and has the blessing of the owners who want him to succeed after three years, not immediately at all costs. Then you build a brand, you build fan loyalty, you build local power, you build something that transcends modern capitalist football, something with soul. You build something that extends the legacy and makes Manchester United the greatest club in the world.

Mourinho was talking about building for long term when he joined. But the transfer policy of the club didn’t work out. 

I think they have a brand and fans and there isn’t time to have 2 seasons developing young players. Nobody does that at the top. Southampton do that. 

But I do think you could have a couple local players coming through. But the frame work of Vidic and Van Ni has to be there. 

There’s a case that they have rushed players out. Jones, Smalling, Shaw could be solid defence. They’ve got Rashford, Lingard. Pogba and Sanchez just haven’t worked. Ferguson would buy a right back, a striker and a playmaker. Lukaku is finished they need a top striker. They need a Cantona. A Salah, someone unplayable. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Isn't it amazing how you would find United fans everywhere? Just glorious. I have mentioned before how funny it was to see United posters on the walls of a hut belonging to head hunters in Borneo. And they didn't even have television sets! Growing up in the 80s or 90s, people just knew United was the best team. It didn't need any justification. It was just a team that thrilled and excited people everywhere. Being a United fan was the default. Unless you grew up in the shadows of another club's stadium, of course.

And that's why fans of lesser teams will always fear United. They know their history. They know it is only a matter of time. 

What connection have you got to Manchester? People should support their own teams. 

I tried to support Shanghai Shenhua but I went to games to see Drogba and Anelka and they just sat on the bench. Everyone in the stadium had their shirts on but they never played. So I just watch them on tv. They always have some weird striker from the MLS. The pitch is always waterlogged so the tackling is life threatening. 

Edited by wasted

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

What connection have you got to Manchester? People should support their own teams. 

Do you suffer from amnesia? We have been through that at least a couple of times before :lol: I played on Manchester United as a kid.

Besides, you don't need a connection to be a fan. You didn't need a connection to Heather Locklear to get a crush on her, either, or a connection to George Lucas to think Star Wars was the greatest movies ever. Only people from Manchester will support United because of something as non-sensical as coming from Manchester. The rest will support United because they love that club, got hooked because of the amazing football, the characters, Ferguson, Solskjær. And that is all true fandom. Not something as flimsy and random as being a fan just because you happen to be born in the same city but besides that don't really care.

• Like 1

No but football isn't wanking off to Heather Locklear, its fundamentally territorial, the whole idea is you support a team with some connection to you, if territoriality didn't matter then derbys as a concept wouldn't exist.  A proper fan isn't someone who just latched onto a team because they happened to grow up during their period of success.  Your football team is like your family, your blood, you don't choose it, its just part of who you are. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

No but football isn't wanking off to Heather Locklear, its fundamentally territorial, the whole idea is you support a team with some connection to you, if territoriality didn't matter then derbys as a concept wouldn't exist.  A proper fan isn't someone who just latched onto a team because they happened to grow up during their period of success.  Your football team is like your family, your blood, you don't choose it, its just part of who you are. 

Football fundamentally territorial? That's so 70s...or just relevant for insignificant teams. Real Madrid has fans all over the world. So has Manchester United. And they have local fans, too, sure. But you can't prevent, or even expect, the great teams from being admired by people everywhere. This is probaly an alian concept to an Arsenal fan, but it is what it us.

And there is nothing that says you can't both be fans of a local team and a team somewhere else. Most people here in Norway are fans of a club in England, and a local, Norwegian team, at the same time. 

So again, being a fan of United doesn't need a "justification," it is the most natural thing in the world of football. And you can't expect a great club like United to not draw admiration and fans from across the globe. That is lunacy. And as long as local guys will be fans, too, it preserves the territorial aspect of it. Besides, it is mostly local guys who go to away derbies.

YOU ARE MY SOLSKJÆR! MY ONLY SOLSKJÆR! YOU MAKE ME HAPPY WHEN SKIES ARE GREY!!!

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

Bollocks.  I admire Barcelona, I don’t support em though, how can I, they have nothing to do with me.  

You’re just a blatant glory hunter, thats all it is, literally the definition of a glory hunter, if you’d’ve grown up with Leyton Orient having a period of success you’d be supporting them.  And supporting two teams just makes you a cunt.  I’m glad you’re not that far gone.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

I’ve noticed that in the US people seem to follow multiple teams. Maybe the media coverage and games on all over you can get into different teams. 

The core support is local but a lot of prem teams are sucking money from all over asia through tv rights. Globally. And you’ve got foreign oligarchs funding team. Not to mention teams full of foreign players. It’s not like any team is full of local players. I’m happy if I see 2-3 English players in a team. 

Some people don’t even watch football, they just play Fifa every night. 

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Bollocks.  I admire Barcelona, I don’t support em though, how can I, they have nothing to do with me.  

You’re just a blatant glory hunter, thats all it is, literally the definition of a glory hunter, if you’d’ve grown up with Leyton Orient having a period of success you’d be supporting them.  And supporting two teams just makes you a cunt.

That's ridiculous :lol:

Andy Mitten on UWS:

"I got a call on fri to say that the club will get rid of pogba and jose - but jose was still linked to europe.

club feel that atmosphere is terrible among players and staff.

several despised him. my latest call was about rashford.

club feel jose hasn't brought young players through.

his pay off is the £14m that i wrote four weeks ago - not the castles figures yesterday.

caretaker in next couple of days. someone to bring a smile back. more time over next permanent appointment - for the summer. someone to unite a squad that needs uniting. someone who knows culture of the clubs".

Well, I am smiling :D YOU ARE MY SOLSKJÆR! MY ONLY SOLSKJÆR! YOU MAKE ME HAPPY WHEN SKIES ARE GREY!!

Edited by SoulMonster

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Americans wouldnt know football if you punted on up their arses though.  The stuff you say about oligarchs and foreign players is a point but the manors still the manor innit, its still Benwell Road, Ashburton Grove.

I meant like NFL teams and baseball teams and Hockey. They seem to have multiple teams. They prob supprt a local MLS team and Man utd. I know people in Asia that are die hard Arsenal fans. They know the history and everything. 

But they also have these big new stadiums which fuck everything up too. Highbury was a classic stadium. Even the height of the tv cameras was recognizable. 

I think there’s a distinction to be made between a fan who goes to games and someone who supports or follows a team. 

Going to games week in week out is the real religion level of football. I’m not sure it’s necesarily a good thing to put all your hopes and dreams in the hands of a football team though. I sort of respects the fans who just go to games to shout at the opposing players. It’s just a laugh sort of therapy blow off some steam. But to be up at night worrying about your team must be some kind of hell. 

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That's ridiculous :lol:

Any Mitten on UWS:

"I got a call on fri to say that the club will get rid of pogba and jose - but jose was still linked to europe.

club feel that atmosphere is terrible among players and staff.

several despised him. my latest call was about rashford.

club feel jose hasn't brought young players through.

his pay off is the £14m that i wrote four weeks ago - not the castles figures yesterday.

caretaker in next couple of days. someone to bring a smile back. more time over next permanent appointment - for the summer. someone to unite a squad that needs uniting. someone who knows culture of the clubs".

Well, I am smiling :D YOU ARE MY SOLSKJÆR! MY ONLY SOLSKJÆR! YOU MAKE ME HAPPY WHEN SKIES ARE GREY!!

Hughes is out of a job isn’t he?

Bruce is probably in the pub right now filling in his job application. 

Keame should apply. He seems to know everything. 

Gary and Scholes. 

All of them should do it. They just turn up and beat the shit out of the whole Utd squad. That’s Day 1. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Fixed.

Is he broke? 

This is it with Utd. There’s been no continuity. You had Fergus and all those players but then they had Van Gaal and Moron. Surely Keane is the next Ferguson. At least Arsenal got Wenger’s cousin to take over. Liverpool have mr industrial working class. Utd should have their kind of manager. 

The idea that foreign fans are not good enough is silly. I picture that being slurred from a bleary-eyed, veiny fat capped old fuck at the local pub, say The Miserable Hare, just after lecturing his friends about how the darkies took his job and before going back to his council house to beat his kids and rape his wife, when complaining he can't afford a game ticket. Don't get me wrong, I like local fans, but they don't have a monopoly on the greatest teams that transcend borders. And for the record, I became a fan of United in 1982, at a time they hadn't won the league in a very long time and with Atkinson as the manager. 

You simply cannot expect a club like United to not attract fans from all over. Sure, some might be superficial fans (like many local fans), but most are as addicted as one can get and a great asset to the club. 

The idea that foreign fans are not good enough is silly. I picture that being slurred from a bleary-eyed, veiny fat capped old fuck at the local pub, say The Miserable Hare, just after lecturing his friends about how the darkies took his job and before going back to his council house to beat his kids and rape his wife, when complaining he can't afford a game ticket.

Yes, God forbid those awful council estate people have any say in a culture that they are responsible for creating, they're all racists.  Then you wonder why this lack of respect for glory hunter fans.  Were it not for the money, the time and indeed the lives of those flat capped old fucks you wouldn't have a Manchester United.  You are the prawn sandwich brigade that Roy Keane was talking about.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yes, God forbid those awful council estate people have any say in a culture that they are responsible for creating, they're all racists.  Then you wonder why this lack of respect for glory hunter fans.  Were it not for the money, the time and indeed the lives of those flat capped old fucks you wouldn't have a Manchester United.  You are the prawn sandwich brigade that Roy Keane was talking about.

Nothing wrong with them, except the idea that they have some exclusive right to being fans of the club. And what is wrong with prawn sandviches? 

Nothing wrong with them

This didn't require clarification, its perfectly clear what you thought of them from your post.

And what is wrong with prawn sandviches? 

You might want to consider the notion that it was a turn of phrase, an expression to denote a certain type of fan. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

This didn't require clarification, its perfectly clear what you thought of them from your post.

You might want to consider the notion that it was a turn of phrase, an expression to denote a certain type of fan. 

Nothing wrong with [the local fans]. Lots of things wrong with the type I described. 

Is this another aspect of that silly British class system? Working class, the salt of the earth, true fans, don't eat prawn sandviches? 

And you might consider me being facetious now and then. 

And English bookers believe in Solskjær as the  caretaker :)