THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

Nothing wrong with [the local fans]. Lots of things wrong with the type I described. 

Well as long as people like you are around put them right we'll be alright eh?

Is this another aspect of that silly British class system? Working class, the salt of the earth, true fans, don't eat prawn sandviches? 

It was Roy Keanes way of calling you a cunt :lol:

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

What? Mourinho wasn't a long-term signing. Whoever told you that s your enemy. Mourinho lasts two three seasons and leaves in disgrace. That's him. He was a mercenary manager. A big name that could draw quality players. A big name that could quickly turn things around after the failures of Moyes and Gaal. 

We need long-term thinking. Build not buy. Mourinho was the opposite. You don't buy someone who has just failed and costs a fortune and has a horrible personality and who plays boring football to take over the legacy of Ferguson. Hiring Mourinho was panicky. The decision to fire him was the best decision this team has made in 3 years. And there's been many bad decisions. Like hiring Sanchez. Again, short-sighted. Hoping there would still be some power left in those old legs, even if he obviously was on the turn down in whatever mediocre club they found him. Buy young, buy cheap, buy for the future, and buy with a strategy beyond just getting celebrities.

Griezman, Mbappe, Varana and Pogma don't make a Manchester United. These are hired mercenaries. They make a Manchester City...or a Chelsea. What United needs are local lads, British players. Names like Jones and Morrison, McBoring and McBland. Sturdy, no-nonsense guys, and one crazy Irishman to top it off. And then sprinkle it with a few world-class players that lifts it all. And a down-to-the earth manager who understands he has the best job in the world, knows how to get these guys to work together, and has the blessing of the owners who want him to succeed after three years, not immediately at all costs. Then you build a brand, you build fan loyalty, you build local power, you build something that transcends modern capitalist football, something with soul. You build something that extends the legacy and makes Manchester United the greatest club in the world.

I've never read such a load of bollocks in my whole life 😂

Like hiring Sanchez. Again, short-sighted. Hoping there would still be some power left in those old legs, even if he obviously was on the turn down in whatever mediocre club they found him

It would be the mediocre club that put it on you during the best period in your clubs history, the one they make documentaries about now as Uniteds chief rivals, Wenger vs Ferguson, Keane vs Viera, THAT mediocre team.  The mediocre team that was winning silverware back when your club kept getting relegated.  That mediocre team.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Nothing wrong with [the local fans]. Lots of things wrong with the type I described. 

Is this another aspect of that silly British class system? Working class, the salt of the earth, true fans, don't eat prawn sandviches? 

And you might consider me being facetious now and then. 

And English bookers believe in Solskjær as the  caretaker :)

You have surely listened to Oasis, watched Corrie and had a Lancashire Hot Pot at least once in your life? If so I'll give you a reprieve. I suppose what I'm saying is don't forget your little Norwegian clubs which no doubt need your money and support more.

Football should be watched by people with flatcaps, with cirrhosis face, sprouting racially motivated venom from the terraces.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Poor bastard, sorry Soulie, I take everything I've said back :lol:

I don't know if he as but if he has?

I was going to say, sees Vera Duckworth as some sort of sex symbol.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Well as long as people like you are around put them right we'll be alright eh?

It was Roy Keanes way of calling you a cunt :lol:

Someone's got to stand up to violent raping racists. 

I know. I was being facetious. 

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You have surely listened to Oasis, watched Corrie and had a Lancashire Hot Pot at least once in your life? If so I'll give you a reprieve. I suppose what I'm saying is don't forget your little Norwegian clubs which no doubt need your money and support more.

Nah, they are shite. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Someone's got to stand up to violent raping racists. 

I know. I was being facetious. 

Nah, they are shite. 

See, that is the attitude I don't understand. You are attracted by the prawn sandwiches on show whilst neglecting your grass roots local stuff.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

See, that is the attitude I don't understand. You are attracted by the prawn sandwiches on show whilst neglecting your grass roots local stuff.

Again, I became a United fan before they became good. And most fans of English teams here in Norway also have a Norwegian club. In fact, they tend to be more fans of the local club than the English club, which they follow mostly because we have aired League matches on the TV since we were kids and it helps to have someone to root for. So it isn't as incomprehensible as you think. Did you really think my, "Nah, they are shite" comment was a serious response to the flawed assumption that Norwegians don't care for local teams? 

Edited by SoulMonster

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Again, I became a United fan before they became good. And most fans of English teams here in Norway also have a Norwegian club. In fact, they tend to be more fans of the local club than the English club, which they follow mostly because we have aired League matches on the TV since we were kids and it helps to have someone to root for. So it isn't as incomprehensible as you think. Did you really think my, "Nah, they are shite" comment was a serious response to the flawed assumption that Norwegians don't care for local teams? 

1982, fuckin' hell, how old are you?

Just now, Len Cnut said:

1982, fuckin' hell, how old are you?

I was about 6 at the time. And playing football in the pre-school league. All the teams were named after top teams in England at the time. Fortunately my team was named after United. I say fortunately because no one could have known about the glorious times to come later. 

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I was about 6 at the time. And playing football in the pre-school league. All the teams were named after top teams in England at the time. Fortunately my team was named after United. I say fortunately because no one could have known about the glorious times to come later. 

And thats how you became a United supporter, cuz your school squad was named after it?  Hey, why not I suppose. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

And thats how you became a United supporter, cuz your school squad was named after it?  Hey, why not I suppose. 

It is rarely the heaviest of reasons, is it? Your friends turning you on to a team. Inheriting it from your dad. Or older brother. That's how it goes. Not because you consciously want to support the local club. Not out of love for the community. That comes later when you get older and you become a weathered fan. 

That's how I became a fan, yes. And my older brother was a fan, too, so that surely helped. Can't remember how he became one, though. And I remember visiting England in 1983 and buying United merch. Watching matches on the TV. Good times. 

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is rarely the heaviest of reasons, is it? Your friends turning you on to a team. Inheriting it from your dad. Or older brother. That's how it goes. Not because you consciously want to support the local club. Not out of love for the community. That comes later when you get older and you become a weathered fan. 

That's how I became a fan, yes. And my older brother was a fan, too, so that surely helped. Can't remember how he became one, though. And I remember visiting England in 1983 and buying United merch. Watching matches on the TV. Good times. 

I can't remember anything but Arsenal.  Old man supported Arsenal, brother supported Arsenal, I never stood a chance.  My brother would've kicked my head in if I had supported anyone else :lol:

But I used to have a local team too. Back where I lived as a kid. But we moved before that got to develop into a strong fan interest. It is hard to follow a small town club when you live far away. And I have no interest in the local team where I live now (Rosenborg). So United it is. But I am sure if I had continued to live where I spent my first 8 years I'd been a huge fan of that club. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I can't remember anything but Arsenal.  Old man supported Arsenal, brother supported Arsenal, I never stood a chance.  My brother would've kicked my head in if I had supported anyone else :lol:

Exactly. Inherited like religion. No rational process behind it (except that avoiding a beating is fairly rational :lol:). 

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But I used to have a local team too. Back where I lived as a kid. But we moved before that got to develop into a strong fan interest. It is hard to follow a small town club when you live far away. And I have no interest in the local team where I live now (Rosenborg). So United it is. But I am sure if I had continued to live where I spent my first 8 years I'd been a huge fan of that club. 

I don't see why you wouldn't support Rosenborg, they're quite a rated team if I'm not mistaken?  Must have a handsome support.  Not that I'm saying you should I just meant you're not from some weird non-footballing outpost.

Exactly. Inherited like religion. No rational process behind it (except that avoiding a beating is fairly rational :lol:). 

I remember asking my Dad why he chose Arsenal, being an immigrant its not like he had some sort of home ties, only answer I got was that he liked the way they played and they were close.  I'm actually closer to you on the fan totem pole than the flat caps really. 

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't see why you wouldn't support Rosenborg, they're quite a rated team if I'm not mistaken?  Must have a handsome support.  Not that I'm saying you should I just meant you're not from some weird non-footballing outpost.

Because I don't follow a team because it is high rated? And because I moved to Trondheim as an adult?

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It's only wrong if they eat prawn sandviches. It's a British class thing. 

Growing up where I did, a lot of kids supported Ajax instead of the local team. Nothing wrong with that either. Same goes for supporting a team from another country.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Growing up where I did, a lot of kids supported Ajax instead of the local team. Nothing wrong with that either. Same goes for supporting a team from another country.

I can't see what is wrong with any of that, either. But there are lots of limitations and rules regarding English behavior that is incomprehensible to us foreigners.  

• Like 1