THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

45 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

What the actual fuck has Bellerin come as?

A lesbian? :lol:  I tell ya what, he's fuckin' rapid as fuck though.  You don't really get a good sense of it on the telly but when you're there at the ground and you see how that cunt eats up the pitch its fuckin' next level.

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I can barely remember him to be honest and I actually still watched football during his era.

At least, you must remember his goal against Bayern in CL final, and 4 goals agaist someone when he came in as a sub in 70+ minute of game...

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Why are the Norwegians in here passionate Manchester United fans? I can't really imagine caring about a club outside my own country unless I'd lived where they played and ended up going to games or something...

I'm supporting Altrincham FC these days.

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

Why are the Norwegians in here passionate Manchester United fans? I can't really imagine caring about a club outside my own country unless I'd lived where they played and ended up going to games or something...

Almost all Norwegians who are into football have a favorite English team. It goes back decades when Norwegian TV started airing English matches (even before BBC did). So we all got hooked (or rather, our parents did). Usually one has a local club and an English club. 

I think it is a bit of a coincidence that both AslatIE and me are United fans, most of my Norwegian friends are supporters of Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal. 

Your football team is supposed to represent your individual community, and yes, for certain teams with aggressive derbies their religious sect (and in the old days professions, colleges/universities and societal classes) so that when your team beats a team it is your region beaten that region.

Newcastle United beating Sunderland FC is Newcastle (city) beating Sunderland (city). Regional bragging rights are thus awarded. The whole notion of ''Geordieness'' is in fact bound up with Newcastle United (I am from Northumberland and a cricket fan so a bit of an outsider to this affect but it is true): Milburn, Supermac and Shearer, St James and Broon Ale. 

PS

I have no problems with having a ''second team'' - I do this all the time when England get booted out of the world cup, and I do it in cricket where I have a sort of list of ''favourite neutrals'' - but not surely at the expense of your local team? I for instance support Northumberland CCC in the minor counties (fiver to get in; watched by 3 old blokes; pavilion totally clapped out; never win anything). 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Funnily enough, how one becomes a fan of a football team is not at all affected by how you think it should be, or how it generally is in England. 

Why bother with the Manchester?

Why does the ''Manchester'' precede the United? 

What is that Manchester supposed to represent?

We are not Americans whereby their sporting teams get shifted around to different cities as franchises. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why bother with the Manchester?

Why does the ''Manchester'' precede the United? 

What is that Manchester supposed to represent?

We are not Americans whereby their sporting teams get shifted around to different cities as franchises. 

I don't care. Nor does the rest of the millions of people around the world who supports English football clubs. This is just another of those occasions when you have to wake up and realize that the real world isn't identical to how you think it ought to be. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I don't care. Nor does the rest of the millions of people around the world who supports English football clubs. This is just another of those occasions when you have to wake up and realize that the real world isn't identical to how you think it ought to be. 

What does the Manchester represent?