The Use Your Illusion Saga - When Giants Walked The Earth

Prologue:

"All the gods, they cannot sever us Axl. If I were dead and you were still fighting for life, I'd come back from the darkness. Back from the pit of hell to fight at your side."

- Slash

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that five stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me rights to the name Guns N' Roses! And if you do not listen, then the HELL with you!"

- Axl Rose

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of.

When shining kingdoms laid spread across the world. Hither came Axl, the flame haired Rock God, legal contract in hand.

It is I, his chronicler, who knows well his saga. Now, let me tell you of the perils of rock n' roll decadence!

The aftermath of Use Your Illusion:

By the end of the Illusion tour, there are 4 confirmed riots that end with hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. Countless other near riots around the world take place including one where the Chilean military threaten the lead singer with death if he decided not to play the show. Another promoter forces the singer onto the stage at gunpoint. GnR had become notorious for not showing up or throwing tantrums and leaving early. They would eventually escape arrest after their most infamous riot by hiding in their stretch limos and fleeing across state lines. 

At the time, multiple records would be achieved with the Use Your Illusion albums and tour. Shortest time taken for a band to ever play stadiums. The longest tour in rock history. The most chaotic tour in rock history. The fastest selling albums in history. The most expensive music videos in history. The longest song (november rain) to chart in billboard history. The only albums in history to debut at #1 and #2 on the billboard charts. One of the top 3 highest grossing tours of the decade and one of the top 10 tours in history.

Much infamy was also achieved. Despite playing to over 7 million people and having one of the biggest tours ever, the band barely broke even because they were nearly bankrupted by the lavish theme parties they threw each night, curfew fines for arriving 3-5 hours late for each show, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fines from multiple cities suing them for riot damages to fan lawsuits because the band members would jump into the crowd and fight unruly fans in the middle of their own concerts. 

Within 6 months of the tour ending, the singer/frontman, Axl Rose, spiraling into madness, gives his final interview of the 90's before disappearing off the face of the earth into nearly a decade of seclusion at the peak of his career. By the age of 32, the world's most famous rockstar, fronting the biggest band in the world, has effectively vanished from the scene in his prime, leaving a massive power vacuum behind in the music industry. The rock throne had been abruptly vacated - its king, nowhere to be found. There are no press photos of Axl in existence during this time. No interviews. Just alleged sightings. He is rumored to be nearly unrecognizable from his halcyon days. A recluse, hiding in his estate somewhere in the Malibu hills. His wealth is alleged to be staggering despite only a 5 year career, rivaling the richest musicians in history. So great is his self-imposed exile that Rolling Stone dubs him "The Howard Hughes of Rock".

The mystique of Axl becomes legendary by the end of the 90's. Seemingly loathed and revered by fans, peers, and critics alike - his name itself begins to evoke awe and enigma. Sporadic rumors are whispered of him tinkering in isolation like a mad scientist on a grand trilogy of experimental, avant-garde masterpiece albums. Almost nothing is known about Axl or the band during these wilderness years except random whispers that he is heavily involved with psychics and faith healers. The lunacy of this period is perhaps only rivaled by Michael Jackson. At last, Axl re-emerges years later in front of 300,000 shocked fans in Rio with an entirely new lineup of Guns N' Roses. He is flanked by a mysterious masked guitar virtuoso wearing a KFC bucket on his head - who only speaks through his friend, a hand puppet named Herbie. No doubt, the replacement for the enigmatic Slash. The singer's Brazilian nanny/housekeeper is now firmly in control of the GnR empire behind the scenes. Every person in the original band by this time has been fired or forced out. He soon vanishes from sight again, leaving the world stunned and confused. The follow up to Illusions, Chinese Democracy, becomes the most anticipated album in history. The legend of Axl has continued to grow as he stays hidden in the shadows...biding his time, forever frozen as the warrior he once was. The world awaits with baited breath for his triumphant return.

Battleworn and neglected, the immortal axeman, Slash, stumbles away disillusioned to find his own path forward. Like the nameless Ronin of yore, the enigmatic Slash wanders the earth as an axe for hire - slaying riffs for cigarettes and whiskey.

Izzy Stradlin', the mythic guitar slinger, disappears into the mists of time. The reticent Stradlin' is rarely seen or heard from ever again. So legendary is his reputation, grown men still weep at the very mention of his name. 

With no hope for reconciliation and no longer drowning himself in gallons of alcohol, the great King of Beers finally departs to seek new fortunes. And yet he awaits with his bass guitar in hand. Waiting to reconquer the world with his brothers by his side and reclaim what was once theirs. 

And so it was that Axl mourned his beloved brothers Izzy, Duff, and Slash.

At length, he sought replacements in distant lands and trod the jeweled thrones of the earth....beneath his sandaled feet...

until, at last, he returned to his kingdom...alone...and wore his crown upon a troubled brow. But that is a story for another time.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, RONIN said:

Prologue:

"All the gods, they cannot sever us Axl. If I were dead and you were still fighting for life, I'd come back from the darkness. Back from the pit of hell to fight at your side."

- Slash

Is it wrong that I bloody love this quote for a GNR saga?  Go on Slash, you fight for Axl! :lol:

• GNFNR 1