Gardening

Gracii Guns

44 minutes ago, soon said:

Im in! 

I made duck hats during that, lol.  It would have been nice if they defined the term but I got the general meaning.

Pretty cool shit.  Like the windows using the spider webs.  I think her math was off on the 20% off the book means $30 otherwise that's a pretty expensive book!

11 minutes ago, cineater said:

I made duck hats during that, lol.  It would have been nice if they defined the term but I got the general meaning.

Pretty cool shit.  Like the windows using the spider webs.  I think her math was off on the 20% off the book means $30 otherwise that's a pretty expensive book!

How many duck hats will you need? :lol:

I agree about defining the term. I know all about the "triple bottom line" of People, Planet, Profit. But that didnt help me understand biomimicry any better. 

I think she didnt want to give too much info from the book away for free. That is not mimicking peacocks I know that much - theyd shoot up their feathers and strut around for free! :lol:

24 little hats.  I've got them and 24 beads for around the neck.  I only have two hats that aren't like the others.

That was pretty interesting how much money saved when you weren't using energy during peek grid times.  They touched on the ideas from The Secret Life of Trees.

I'm going to request the library buy the book.  I'd like to read the story examples.

37 minutes ago, cineater said:

24 little hats.  I've got them and 24 beads for around the neck.  I only have two hats that aren't like the others.

That was pretty interesting how much money saved when you weren't using energy during peek grid times.  They touched on the ideas from The Secret Life of Trees.

I'm going to request the library buy the book.  I'd like to read the story examples.

You've been busy! Who get's the special hats?

Remember when I used to run my grow lights at off peak hours? But then if I got up to pee Id be confronted with this blinding light? lol I noticed that about the Secrete Life!

I should request it at my library too. 

I was also impressed with some of the questions. Like 'what is being done with dolphin skin and sonar?' 

Im checking out that solar SMIT Solar Ivy. Fascinating!

28 minutes ago, cineater said:

Oh yeah I like the solar ivy too but not what I was envisioning.

Solar-Ivy-Update-1.jpg

Not what I was envisioning either, actually. I guess since the sun moves across the sky, its good to have panels facing different angles, so that they will all get maximum sun at different points in the day? On a normal panel, there is only the chance to gather the maximum amount of sun for a certain period of the day. But if the sun isnt out for that part of the day, then you miss out. But with this, you have different panels that will harvest the most solar energy at different times in the day?

And then also how it allows light through to the area below?

Edited by soon

11 hours ago, cineater said:

Don't know but it's just pieces of plastic.  Where's the ivy? :lol:

Ran up and mowed at the garden and wouldn't you know it, the self propelled lever doesn't work.  Why people hate to mow there.  It's a steep hill.

Sounds like quite the chore! Get that fixed.

It does seem kinda gimmicky, eh?

I guess if my bean pods are forming, I should maybe think about starting some plants for a possible second round?

You know your growing season, can you get another round in?

Kevin fixes the lawn mowers.  He's actually really good at that.

Our weather is cooling off next week.  Highs in the 80's and lows in the upper 60's.  Strange weather for us.  We're generally way hotter.  I'm thinking about having a leads secret stroll through the gardens.  Give us a chance to get together and just talk.

7 minutes ago, cineater said:

You know your growing season, can you get another round in?

Kevin fixes the lawn mowers.  He's actually really good at that.

Our weather is cooling off next week.  Highs in the 80's and lows in the upper 60's.  Strange weather for us.  We're generally way hotter.  I'm thinking about having a leads secret stroll through the gardens.  Give us a chance to get together and just talk.

Cin - you arent paying any attention to my gardening woes! :lol: Like Ive reported, I was sold the wrong seeds. So I dont know how long these mystery beans take.

We've already cooled off here, a little bit at least. Still lots of rain!

That sounds like a really good idea to just get to chill with the leads and enjoy the garden. Reconnect and get some inspiration and perspective.

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Cin - you arent paying any attention to my gardening woes! :lol: Like Ive reported, I was sold the wrong seeds. So I dont know how long these mystery beans take.

We've already cooled off here, a little bit at least. Still lots of rain!

That sounds like a really good idea to just get to chill with the leads and enjoy the garden. Reconnect and get some inspiration and perspective.

You're still upset over that?  Listen a bad day in the garden is better than a good day stuck in the house.  You have some mystery in the garden.

We're rainy too.  I haven't watered hardly at all this year.

Marsha likes it.  Leads garden stroll Tuesday night.

2 minutes ago, cineater said:

You're still upset over that?  Listen a bad day in the garden is better than a good day stuck in the house.  You have some mystery in the garden.

We're rainy too.  I haven't watered hardly at all this year.

Marsha likes it.  Leads garden stroll Tuesday night.

You said that Id know how fast theyd grow. I dont. And its about 80% of my garden. And given that I take food production seriously, to have a pathetically low yield would be a real slap in the face. And its out of my control. I was intending to sow two rounds of black beans, which would give me a few months of protein. Now I might get only one round and it might be wax beans, which I dont enjoy and would give away. This could be a wasted season, not day. :( 

Sounds great for your Leads Stroll!

2 hours ago, soon said:

You said that Id know how fast theyd grow. I dont. And its about 80% of my garden. And given that I take food production seriously, to have a pathetically low yield would be a real slap in the face. And its out of my control. I was intending to sow two rounds of black beans, which would give me a few months of protein. Now I might get only one round and it might be wax beans, which I dont enjoy and would give away. This could be a wasted season, not day. :( 

Sounds great for your Leads Stroll!

Maybe since you don't know and want a certain kind you should just rip it all out and do that second sowing now and get what you want?

The flamingos are mine.  If something happens to them at the gardens, at least it wasn't somebody else's ducks.  Leslie always says it should be fun and she's been getting a lot of grief lately.  I hope that makes her laugh and doesn't piss her off.  The trash dumpster is right next to her garden.  I might be dumpster diving.

10 minutes ago, cineater said:

Maybe since you don't know and want a certain kind you should just rip it all out and do that second sowing now and get what you want?

The flamingos are mine.  If something happens to them at the gardens, at least it wasn't somebody else's ducks.  Leslie always says it should be fun and she's been getting a lot of grief lately.  I hope that makes her laugh and doesn't piss her off.  The trash dumpster is right next to her garden.  I might be dumpster diving.

Great idea! The second I determine if they are wax beans, they are coming out! Should be anyday that I can figure that out.

But the other package of “Bush beans” is from the same source. So I will need to order from elsewhere. But then if the ones in now ARE black beans and grew on time, I’ll just sow the package I already have and be down $10 for ordering more. Ahhhhhhhh! :lol:

Had I known it would rain all weak and not be super hot, and had the right seeds, that would’ve been perfect. But had I sown seed in the heat I’d be carrying jars of water back and forth all day long!

hahaha - I’ll have to check email. But I can’t inagine that not cheering her up! :lol:

Please take a pic if she tosses them into the dumpster?!:lol:

Talked to her.  She and the woman with the purple martin house came to a peaceful resolution about what to do with the house.  She's happy.  Marsha's happy.  Not sure if my interventions are working or if they are just pretending to get along.  Either way, I don't have to take sides with anybody.

I think Caleb might be over watering the sod so a few days without rain here is going to be good.

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Talked to her.  She and the woman with the purple martin house came to a peaceful resolution about what to do with the house.  She's happy.  Marsha's happy.  Not sure if my interventions are working or if they are just pretending to get along.  Either way, I don't have to take sides with anybody.

I think Caleb might be over watering the sod so a few days without rain here is going to be good.

Sorry, I forget about 'Purple martin house" ??

Im glad everyone is happy though!

Caleb must have been taking the watering needs seriously at least then! I hope his garden and lawn turn out to be everything he dreams! :headbang:

I was sparing you the drama.  :lol:  There are two purple martin houses in Leslie's garden.  She didn't want them there but they are under Patty's care.  I told Leslie she could not take them down unless Patty gave permission.  Leslie took one down any way.

So they didn't stay settled for long. :lol:  Open my email and Leslie is inviting like 8 people to the leads stroll through the gardens and putting up a tent.  WTF, it's suppose to be a low key thing!  Like a fool I tell Marsha who freaks out thinking we may get more then the 50 people we're allowed to have.  So I get the lecture.  No good deed goes unpunished.

12 hours ago, cineater said:

Called it.  She found a reason not to help put out the ducks.  Wasn't really something I was into so I'm going to pass this year.

The place across the street from the garden is for sale.  https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/225-Brown-Rd-Saint-Peters-MO-63376/2520694_zpid/

Looks like a great place too! You thinking about a move to the garden?

Sorry to hear about the ducks. What will you do with all those hats? :lol:

Is your tomato ripening?

Way out of my price range.  Not really into the house.  I don't have the energy to fix up the property.  I do like the old barn.

The tomato is still growing.  Leslie laughed at the flamingos but she wasn't willing to have a conversation about other people's concerns over her building skills or the overgrown look of the rain garden.  I just let it go.  She had her team merrily painting the tips of things turquoise and putting tin cans in bushes for the birds.  Bring it up at leads meeting folks if you don't like it.

I'll just hang on to the hats.  She text me this morning with an app to track quitting smoking.  No reply from me. :lol:  I'm done with people today and it's not even lunch time yet.

51 minutes ago, cineater said:

Way out of my price range.  Not really into the house.  I don't have the energy to fix up the property.  I do like the old barn.

The tomato is still growing.  Leslie laughed at the flamingos but she wasn't willing to have a conversation about other people's concerns over her building skills or the overgrown look of the rain garden.  I just let it go.  She had her team merrily painting the tips of things turquoise and putting tin cans in bushes for the birds.  Bring it up at leads meeting folks if you don't like it.

I'll just hang on to the hats.  She text me this morning with an app to track quitting smoking.  No reply from me. :lol:  I'm done with people today and it's not even lunch time yet.

Im having that same sort of day, myself :lol: I really hope that Im never one of the people thats being a drag. I dont want to be at least. 

Yeah that old barn is something! Ive been looking at properties since you sent a Susans listing. Sometimes I get lost in it, zooming around the street view on google earth. And then when I stop Im disoriented to find myself back at home :lol:

Well, you got a laugh out of her at least.

Tomatoes soon!

I dont think my chamomile is gonna bounce back from being suffocated this year. Shame to, I could use the sleepy time tea.

My whole chamomile patch along with the reseeding marigolds didn't come back.  I think they got sprayed.  I turned over that area to somebody else so it wasn't under my supervision.

Kevin went and told the Extension of my little garden stroll.  I wasn't going to tell them.  So far nobody has objected and the leads are looking forward to it.

Marsha called.  Told her of my fail with Leslie. :lol:  We're going to see if Joe who is on her team can talk to her.  Marsha is talking about having the steering committee send her a letter.  Nooo, we're not pissing anybody off like that.  This is one we're just riding out and it will resolve itself mostly because nobody goes back there.  I'm not going to worry about a 300 pound person trying to sit in a rusted folding chair.

I'm not moving.  I really love my little house, my yard and my patio.  Two months out of the year the weather sucks, hot and humid.  I need to change the people in my life, lol.

We have a concert tonight!  I'll be working my puzzle and doing laundry.  I've been sweating through 2 outfits a day and I'm out of clothes to garden in.

42 minutes ago, cineater said:

My whole chamomile patch along with the reseeding marigolds didn't come back.  I think they got sprayed.  I turned over that area to somebody else so it wasn't under my supervision.

Kevin went and told the Extension of my little garden stroll.  I wasn't going to tell them.  So far nobody has objected and the leads are looking forward to it.

Marsha called.  Told her of my fail with Leslie. :lol:  We're going to see if Joe who is on her team can talk to her.  Marsha is talking about having the steering committee send her a letter.  Nooo, we're not pissing anybody off like that.  This is one we're just riding out and it will resolve itself mostly because nobody goes back there.  I'm not going to worry about a 300 pound person trying to sit in a rusted folding chair.

I'm not moving.  I really love my little house, my yard and my patio.  Two months out of the year the weather sucks, hot and humid.  I need to change the people in my life, lol.

We have a concert tonight!  I'll be working my puzzle and doing laundry.  I've been sweating through 2 outfits a day and I'm out of clothes to garden in.

Cant wait for the show! And pre show! Wonder who is the guest?

When I hear about the MG drama, it reminds me why Id rather homestead :lol: 

I wouldn't move from your place either! Its awesome and the incredible gardens, patio and lawn are your amazing work! Plus your neighbours also (mostly) sound dope :headbang: Just that you showed me a testing listing is all.

If you moved people wouldnt know where to drop off their unwanted plants! :lol:

I might be distracted a bit too during show. Im really hitting some deadlines on numerous items! :nervous::axl:

44 minutes ago, cineater said:

I'm not going to worry about a 300 pound person trying to sit in a rusted folding chair.

Haha, I've never heard that expression before!