Gardening

Gracii Guns

14 hours ago, cineater said:

My neighbor is having a little hissy.  Apparently his fiance, we refer to as the psychotic bitch, and he are fighting over the yard.  He's all worked up, cutting shit down and burning it.  Says he's going to rip out all his front landscape and put up a fence.  They might be moving.  It's all secret stuff he don't want to disclose to anybody.  Yeah she's making him crazy, lol.  The more he talked the angry he got.  We'll see how far he gets.  The fence has been suppose to go up for years.  He's pissed off the feral cats get in his car at night but won't roll up his windows.  My cat is attacking the fiance's birds.  Didn't know she was into birds.  Their bird feeder you can't even see from their house and it's right on the line between our houses attracting mice to the area.  He's going to move it to the back.  Hope my cats stay out of their yard.  Hopefully this blows over quickly.  I know he doesn't care about my cats but she's a mean lady.  I have to go in the house a lot of times because the fighting/screaming coming from their house is so loud.  Why he stays with her, I don't know.

Anyway, he's talking about putting in a trench under the fence that he can pour weed killer in twice per year.  It will roll down the trench and spread out 9 inches on either side.  9 inches into my yard?  What happens when it gets to the end?  Where does it go?  I would be upset but it's him.  And if you're moving why do you care if weeds grow under the fence?

That sounds miserable to live next to in general. And especially when it starts to involve you and the cats! Ugh! She best not mess with the girls!!

That is an aggressive weed plan. And yeah, where does all the run off go? Into your cities aquifers perhaps?

This is the neighbour that hit on you?

I had the strangest dream. One of those times where you cant really get in gear for the day, because its atmosphere and questions are lingering too much.

Yeah I'm thinking that's a really bad idea.  Might work in open lawns but were have mature plantings.  I'll research it.  Not too worried.  He rarely follows through on his big plans.  He cut a sapling off in the middle and left a 4 foot stick in the ground in the fence line. :lol:  He was out there till midnight burning stuff.  Probably didn't want to go in the house with her.  This morning it's still smoking.  Good thing we are wet.

Just a dream.  You control reality.

59 minutes ago, cineater said:

Yeah I'm thinking that's a really bad idea.  Might work in open lawns but were have mature plantings.  I'll research it.  Not too worried.  He rarely follows through on his big plans.  He cut a sapling off in the middle and left a 4 foot stick in the ground in the fence line. :lol:  He was out there till midnight burning stuff.  Probably didn't want to go in the house with her.  This morning it's still smoking.  Good thing we are wet.

Just a dream.  You control reality.

One thing I like about your neighborhood is that people can burn up their trees all night and no one calls the cops. There’s a much more rigid and fearful attitude here. 

Soubds like a bigger situation than I’d like to find myself wrapped up I though!

I control reality? Hmm, I have at least some evidence to the contrary :lol:

Don't be thinking I'm the wise woman.  I killed a lot of brain cells in my youth.

I get to the lab place to have my blood drawn.  They call my name.  I'm greeted at the door by a mask wearing person who aims a gun at my forehead. :lol:  It's the temperature taker but still it happen so fast.  If I didn't know what was going on I might have freaked.

Got the lecture from the office about tonight's stroll. They didn't cancel us so it's on.  I don't think of it as an event.  It's just the leads being in the garden like we are any other day of the week.  Just getting my team together.

You watch the show?  Black pig lives matter!  Can't do anything about the white pigs.  They end up on the table. :lol: 

10 minutes ago, cineater said:

Don't be thinking I'm the wise woman.  I killed a lot of brain cells in my youth.

I get to the lab place to have my blood drawn.  They call my name.  I'm greeted at the door by a mask wearing person who aims a gun at my forehead. :lol:  It's the temperature taker but still it happen so fast.  If I didn't know what was going on I might have freaked.

Got the lecture from the office about tonight's stroll. They didn't cancel us so it's on.  I don't think of it as an event.  It's just the leads being in the garden like we are any other day of the week.  Just getting my team together.

You watch the show?  Black pig lives matter!  Can't do anything about the white pigs.  They end up on the table. :lol: 

You are wise though.

That sounds terrifying and surreal! haha I cant imagine that happening to me! :lol:

The Office are being so silly. Just a walk. How can that be an issue for anyone?

I started the show but I only got to after Monty talks to both husband and wife about the guys arthritis. Met the pigs ad sheep briefly though! Sometimes when I'm feeling jaded I cant get into the more pastoral side of my interests. Normally Id be through the entire series of something this cool. Planning to watch more with dinner! Is there a pig uprising? :lol:

Actually there is a pig uprising. :lol:  Both Monty and I are like stop fucking with the pig.  He does seem a little overly concerned with the guy's health issue and keeps bringing it up.

Susan is starting to feel the loss of her home.  Won't be her house anymore.  Like when you trade in your car for a new one.  Takes a minute to let it go.

5 minutes ago, cineater said:

Actually there is a pig uprising. :lol:  Both Monty and I are like stop fucking with the pig.  He does seem a little overly concerned with the guy's health issue and keeps bringing it up.

Susan is starting to feel the loss of her home.  Won't be her house anymore.  Like when you trade in your car for a new one.  Takes a minute to let it go.

Yeah, the persistence about the health thing was not what I needed to hear! lol

Shit yes, pig uprising sounds great! Might plug me back into it too! haha

And I think that a home usually holds more memories and such too. Thats difficult. Oh man.

What were they doing messing with that happy pig?!?! That was very odd to witness. Id say it was a case of over-policing :lol:

I love the logic of "Capitalists will be visiting the farm... so obviously we need a yurt to make a presentation in" :lol: Like, whys that? lol 

But if I got my land I imagine Id live in a yurt while I got everything up and running. I guess Im already thinking like a farmer :lol: 

I know leave the pig alone.  Wonder how long it took for her to decide to move. :lol:

You're worried about money and you get a carriage and yurt to try to impress people one time.  Made no sense to me.  The house was cute enough. and why weren't they invited to get under the duvet?  The bed was right there.

I think I have about a dozen people coming tonight.  I was thinking around 20.  Some folks aren't real good about RSVP so I'll probably get there.  Now just to get rid of my headache.

24 minutes ago, cineater said:

I know leave the pig alone.  Wonder how long it took for her to decide to move. :lol:

You're worried about money and you get a carriage and yurt to try to impress people one time.  Made no sense to me.  The house was cute enough. and why weren't they invited to get under the duvet?  The bed was right there.

I think I have about a dozen people coming tonight.  I was thinking around 20.  Some folks aren't real good about RSVP so I'll probably get there.  Now just to get rid of my headache.

I didnt realize there were that many leads to begin with! Huge operation you got there!!

Feel better and I hope its a great stroll! Should be good for everyone! 

Just started ep 2... not as confident in these folks but lets see!

I was reminded of something from Mother Earth News. They had like the directions and schematics for a 1/2 acre homestead that still did business with others. I always thought more along those lines... maybe an acre to update the plan from when it was written in the 70s. Adding a market garden for instance. Id keep some hen and maybe a mining goat. I cant imagine much more beasts for me though.

The hummingbirds are back.  They show up mid August.  And my crepe myrtle are blooming early.  Seems like a lot of late summer stuff is early.  Could just be the food is here.  We've have a cooler than normal summer.  It's more like the end of June here than the end of July.  All signs last year said a bad winter.  We had something early but then it was a mild winter.

There's 33 names on my leads mailing list.  We have 21 gardens and then the maintenance crew.  A couple of gardens with coleads.  It's not cooling off.

They must have new homesteading plans.  A lot has changed since the 70's.  Notice that guy had a favorite sheep.  I couldn't kill my farm animals.

37 minutes ago, cineater said:

The hummingbirds are back.  They show up mid August.  And my crepe myrtle are blooming early.  Seems like a lot of late summer stuff is early.  Could just be the food is here.  We've have a cooler than normal summer.  It's more like the end of June here than the end of July.  All signs last year said a bad winter.  We had something early but then it was a mild winter.

There's 33 names on my leads mailing list.  We have 21 gardens and then the maintenance crew.  A couple of gardens with coleads.  It's not cooling off.

They must have new homesteading plans.  A lot has changed since the 70's.  Notice that guy had a favorite sheep.  I couldn't kill my farm animals.

Huh, thats the same with the cicadas here, they're early by the same length of time. Poor climate, Surely looks like rain :( 

Thats amazing! If Id had to guess, Id have said 15 leads, tops. Its huge! So many people to get bothered by! lol

Killing my animals would be too much. I can hunt and fish just fine though. Although, I wouldnt know how to butcher either. Pretty impressive that they also did their own butchery!

Your walk must be coming up soon?

Marsha is all excited about the walk.  Wanted to know when I was getting there.  She's brining a chair.  Leslie is like "let's party"!  It's just a little low key thing although I should have brought squirt guns. :lol:

14 people showed up.  2 were spouses so that's about a third of the group.  They seemed to have a good time.

Edited by cineater

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Excuse my ignorance but when I water my tree I'm just supposed to be putting the water at the base right, at the root?  Not all over it?  Cuz thats what I've been doing. 

By tree, you mean of course your weed plants? :P

kidding aside, I have a little bonzai, you'd think that wooden thing is the trunk but it's actually a large ass root. When I water it, I pour it all over it.

The roots need the water, nothing else. In the case of the bonzai, this is mandatory since the root is largely above ground level.

But I guess it couldn't harm to water all of it. After all, you're simulating rain then.

15 hours ago, cineater said:

Marsha is all excited about the walk.  Wanted to know when I was getting there.  She's brining a chair.  Leslie is like "let's party"!  It's just a little low key thing although I should have brought squirt guns. :lol:

14 people showed up.  2 were spouses so that's about a third of the group.  They seemed to have a good time.

Bringing a chair to a stroll. Good foresight! Squirt guns would have been hilarious! :lol: No doubt youd need office approval, lol

Sounds great! Well done! Too cool that people wanted to bring spouses. I hope you had fun too?

23 minutes ago, soon said:

Bringing a chair to a stroll. Good foresight! Squirt guns would have been hilarious! :lol: No doubt youd need office approval, lol

Sounds great! Well done! Too cool that people wanted to bring spouses. I hope you had fun too?

I wouldn't say fun. :lol:  We start talking and making plans and the next thing I know, it's like I'm going to be the garden lead next year.  It was nice to look out at the leads talking to people about their garden.  They are never happier than when they can show off what they did and what they want to do.  Leslie made some really cute signs for her area.  I did let her keep 3 of the flamingos for around her frog pond.  I found out from Del he's backing off selling his house here to move to Arizona, a hotbed of covid.  That golf life doesn't compare to his love for those pantry beds.  They start making plant sale plans right about now.  Are we selling to the public or just us.  Can we have plants in the greenhouse or is this going to be a home effort?  It was a nice evening, my team is happy.

Did you hear them mention the 3 Sisters planting method in that show?  I've heard about that before but don't know much about it.  One of the plants is nitrogen fixing.  It's the same thing as when they talk about plant communities.  The plants live close together and support each other.  They also did a reverse raised bed.  How cool was that?  Since it was in ground it probably doesn't have the drying out problem of a raised bed but it was clay soil so there might be a drainage issue.  They to raised pigs and were using them to clear the land.  I'm waiting for the show with the Alpacas. 

9 minutes ago, cineater said:

I wouldn't say fun. :lol:  We start talking and making plans and the next thing I know, it's like I'm going to be the garden lead next year.  It was nice to look out at the leads talking to people about their garden.  They are never happier than when they can show off what they did and what they want to do.  Leslie made some really cute signs for her area.  I did let her keep 3 of the flamingos for around her frog pond.  I found out from Del he's backing off selling his house here to move to Arizona, a hotbed of covid.  That golf life doesn't compare to his love for those pantry beds.  They start making plant sale plans right about now.  Are we selling to the public or just us.  Can we have plants in the greenhouse or is this going to be a home effort?  It was a nice evening, my team is happy.

Did you hear them mention the 3 Sisters planting method in that show?  I've heard about that before but don't know much about it.  One of the plants is nitrogen fixing.  It's the same thing as when they talk about plant communities.  The plants live close together and support each other.  They also did a reverse raised bed.  How cool was that?  Since it was in ground it probably doesn't have the drying out problem of a raised bed but it was clay soil so there might be a drainage issue.  They to raised pigs and were using them to clear the land.  I'm waiting for the show with the Alpacas. 

I knew youd be garden lead next season! :lol: Sounds very cool, people getting to sit back and enjoy their gardens and company. Another plant sale this summer still? 

I didnt hear it in the show yet. Im about 20 mins into the second episode. But I do know 3 Sisters. Its a farming practice from the Indigenous people around here. Theres even storytelling around the sisters, told by elders, that highlights the ways they work together. Corn, beans (protein), Squash. The bean vine climbs up the corn stalk, while also providing nitrogen to the soil. Corn is a very heavy nitrogen feeder, so its perfect. And then the squash wraps around the base with its large, shade giving leaves. Reducing watering needs. Its super cool! Ive grown 3 sisters before! And Ive enjoyed three sisters soup too, at a land reclamation sight. Delicious and nutritious!

Wait, what?! They have a bed under ground?? 

What do you think the chances are that you raise an alpaca one day? lol

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Excuse my ignorance but when I water my tree I'm just supposed to be putting the water at the base right, at the root?  Not all over it?  Cuz thats what I've been doing. 

Sounds like a good question to me. It can be an issue with some plants, so good instincts!

I dont know in this case. My gut says to sometimes get the entire tree a little bit wet. But you shouldnt take my word on it. Like, would it want to be wet in full sun? Or only in shade? I dont know.

Im still pumped about your project! 

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Water the area under the drip line, where the branches go out too.  It's a new tree so you may not have branches yet but think about you want the roots to grow out not down.  People think of trees as having deep roots and they do but the roots go out not straight down.

final-tree-for-soil-water.png?crop=0,0.4

29 minutes ago, soon said:

I knew youd be garden lead next season! :lol: Sounds very cool, people getting to sit back and enjoy their gardens and company. Another plant sale this summer still? 

I didnt hear it in the show yet. Im about 20 mins into the second episode. But I do know 3 Sisters. Its a farming practice from the Indigenous people around here. Theres even storytelling around the sisters, told by elders, that highlights the ways they work together. Corn, beans (protein), Squash. The bean vine climbs up the corn stalk, while also providing nitrogen to the soil. Corn is a very heavy nitrogen feeder, so its perfect. And then the squash wraps around the base with its large, shade giving leaves. Reducing watering needs. Its super cool! Ive grown 3 sisters before! And Ive enjoyed three sisters soup too, at a land reclamation sight. Delicious and nutritious!

Wait, what?! They have a bed under ground?? 

What do you think the chances are that you raise an alpaca one day? lol

I didn't say I'm going to be the garden lead next year. :lol:  I have a total disconnect going on with my life before covid.  It's kind of like when I left the party world.  I could go back or maybe there's something new out there for me.  New bathrooms really get your head turned in a different direction. :lol:

Not underground but it ground.  Shitty soil?  Rather than make a raised bed just dig out the bad stuff and fill it with good stuff.

Alpacas are just so darn cute!  Love their little faces.  And they're so fluffy!  I would need property for one.

31 minutes ago, cineater said:

I didn't say I'm going to be the garden lead next year. :lol:  I have a total disconnect going on with my life before covid.  It's kind of like when I left the party world.  I could go back or maybe there's something new out there for me.  New bathrooms really get your head turned in a different direction. :lol:

Not underground but it ground.  Shitty soil?  Rather than make a raised bed just dig out the bad stuff and fill it with good stuff.

Alpacas are just so darn cute!  Love their little faces.  And they're so fluffy!  I would need property for one.

But you will be garden lead next year :lol: If I had your new bathrooms Id just be having baths all the time :lol: About leaving the party world and finding new things out there... its kinda similar to something on my mind lately. You now that expression "You cant go home"? Like things change and you cant really recapture something? I guess its even more meaningful than I can state it. But that has been really resonating with me lately. And its sad, because I think I just wanna go home. And its kinda in two waves - I wanna go back to mid lockdown, a world of Zentangles, garden class and becoming a dead head! And I wanna go home in a more literal sense. 

Thats such a cool approach to shitty soil. As long as its not contaminated, you dont need the raised part! Although aging people in fact might wanna think ahead to the potential benefits of raised beds too. 

I wish you could have an alpaca so bad! It would be so cool as to even add to my dead head cred. Like when someone asks me my favourite Scarlet Fire, and I dont know the answer, I could say "My friend Cin who owns and alpaca and I just dug the Cornel 77" and they would ignore my naivety and accept me based on your alpaca. lol

37 minutes ago, cineater said:

I've been watermeloned!  Walk out and there's two watermelon for me sitting by the garage door.  Thanks Craig!  Nothing better than Arkansas watermelon.  Guess I'll have friends over.

Too cool! He must get to Arkansa often?

Yeah, that's it, can't recapture but it's my desire to do it again or keep doing it.

Craig's wife has relatives in the next town over from where my grandparents lived.  Small world.

We may get more than 3 inches of rain in the next couple of days.  I've discovered I like summer rainy days.

We have class at 4 with the prairie people.  I haven't got the link yet. 

2 hours ago, cineater said:

Yeah, that's it, can't recapture but it's my desire to do it again or keep doing it.

Craig's wife has relatives in the next town over from where my grandparents lived.  Small world.

We may get more than 3 inches of rain in the next couple of days.  I've discovered I like summer rainy days.

We have class at 4 with the prairie people.  I haven't got the link yet. 

I havent gotten my link either.

I actually thought it was just the classes, so this is great news!

We had a sun shower! Was awesome!