Gardening

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, soon said:

WOW!!! What a treasure trove! Thank you!

Do you happen to know what CoCoRaHS is? 

So much great stuff here! Im gonna go fail that plant ID quiz! lol

I goggled it:  Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network  Volunteer weather observers.

You don't have to take the quiz if you don't want to. :lol:

Marsha and I were talking today, like she's expecting me to stay as overall garden lead.  :blink:  I caught myself feeding into that.  I just don't know if I want to.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Nice! Fun fact: In nature sequoias are born of fire. Fire clears up the space, leaving mineral rich ash. And the smoke heats up the pine cones on the branches that holds the seeds. When heated they open up and drop the sees onto the newly fertile ashy, soil. Then winter snow cover comes. In spring the ashy soil is drenched and the seeds thrive in that condition. So all of that has been emulated to get you your seedling!

I dont know much about trees. Our Master Gardener will. Also, @downliner planted some trees last season. He might have some tips for you?

Ideally it was planted in loose, well draining soil. They are thirsty trees! So they want to be watered frequently. But they also don't like "wet feet" - they don't want to sit in soaked soil all the time. You'll likely have to supplement the rainfall with watering.

I would have thought to fertilize within the first season, but Cin knows best. I looked up fertilizer types though. Use organic certified or OMCR certified. They dont actually want much. A gentle 10-10-10. They are a pine and I saw some slow release pine fertilizers plugs. You just stick the plug into the soil beside the tree and it slow releases the fertilizer. (whenever the time is right to begin fertilizing).

And when growing a giant tree, you must take pictures from the same angle at least every year to watch how fast it shoots up!

This will be a surprise for your Dad when he returns?

I just dug a hole, stuck it in, mixed a load of compost and top soil, filled up the hole and done.  And nah, it ain’t for the old man, I just been looking after his garden for a couple of weeks and I thought fuck it, why not plant a tree?  What else can you leave on the earth that might be there centuries after you die?

Edited by Len Cnut

9 minutes ago, cineater said:

I goggled it:  Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network  Volunteer weather observers.

You don't have to take the quiz if you don't want to. :lol:

Marsha and I were talking today, like she's expecting me to stay as overall garden lead.  :blink:  I caught myself feeding into that.  I just don't know if I want to.

Thanks for the google, I thought you might know, so prefer chatting with you then google. What an interesting project! Sounds like something Id want to be part of. Id intended to join the birding club this summer, but pandemic. And they also have a volunteer network to report bird sightings data. I like the idea that with a big enough network everyone can just enjoy themselves and jot down a note or two, but it amounts to a big impact. Work smart not hard to undo the climate crisis.

I prollu cant even ID all the plants Ive grown! :lol: Every other guess would be Coleus or Hosta! lol

They are very blessed to have you, thats for sure. Is there a timeline for you to decide?

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I just dug a hole, stuck it in, mixed a load of compost and top soil, filled up the hole and done.  And nah, it ain’t for the old man, I just been looking after his garden for a couple of weeks and I thought fuck it, why not plant a tree?  What else can you leave on the earth that might be there centuries after you die?

That should work fine. They are very adaptable to soil types. Youll learn through observation how well it drains and then adjust your watering schedule accordingly.

A huge phallic object, that can be seen from miles around sounds like a perfect way to leave your mark. Take that London Obelisk! :lol:

12 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks for the google, I thought you might know, so prefer chatting with you then google. What an interesting project! Sounds like something Id want to be part of. Id intended to join the birding club this summer, but pandemic. And they also have a volunteer network to report bird sightings data. I like the idea that with a big enough network everyone can just enjoy themselves and jot down a note or two, but it amounts to a big impact. Work smart not hard to undo the climate crisis.

I prollu cant even ID all the plants Ive grown! :lol: Every other guess would be Coleus or Hosta! lol

They are very blessed to have you, thats for sure. Is there a timeline for you to decide?

That should work fine. They are very adaptable to soil types. Youll learn through observation how well it drains and then adjust your watering schedule accordingly.

A huge phallic object, that can be seen from miles around sounds like a perfect way to leave your mark. Take that London Obelisk! :lol:

Yes...and rather like my penis it’ll be thin and red with a peeling trunk :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Uh..kinda, I guess, I stuck a little stake in the ground and tied it to it.

Take that out.  Trees don't need to be staked if they have a root ball to support the size of the trunk.  They build up wind resistance if left unstaked.  We're past the strong winds of fall or spring and it's pretty calm out there.  Your tree should have got enough roots in place by fall to start strength training.

2 hours ago, soon said:

My side project enjoys asking the what is that plant question.  Like I know all the millions of plants out there.  Why do you need a name?  Do you like it or not?  By the way, it's in your yard, you should know the name! :lol:

I'm going to start pushing for a new person in September after it cools off.  People are more open to the work then.

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Shoot it says "this video is private" but I figure that just means until 8?

Did you watch the reshow interview with the Daed and CO keyboardist last night?

Didn't watch the reshow.  I'm thinking that's what it means too.

Someone posted they had a opossum caught in my area.  I hope it's not little George!

Cooled off enough I was able to go out and water the plants.  The neighbor asked me to babysit her bonsai tree, the last gift her father gave her, while they go to Michigan for a week.  Heading North sounds good right about now. 

6 minutes ago, cineater said:

Didn't watch the reshow.  I'm thinking that's what it means too.

Someone posted they had a opossum caught in my area.  I hope it's not little George!

Cooled off enough I was able to go out and water the plants.  The neighbor asked me to babysit her bonsai tree, the last gift her father gave her, while they go to Michigan for a week.  Heading North sounds good right about now. 

Me neither. Maybe we can watch the pre show on Wednesday?? Maybe? 

Not Little George. No. That cant be. Scary thought!

Its so f'n hot up here, youre not missing anything. A bonsai is yet another plant that Ive accidentally killed :lol: I figure you are taking it for her?

2 minutes ago, cineater said:

Me too.  I have Wednesday open so far.

Im digging this Stranger!

Cool - if it stays open on wednesday and you're game! See how it goes. :headbang:

Yeah, Mayer, white cargo pants aint a thing. But fairly normal wardrobe all around from what I see so far. :lol:

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Im digging this Stranger!

Cool - if it stays open on wednesday and you're game! See how it goes. :headbang:

Yeah, Mayer, white cargo pants aint a thing. But fairly normal wardrobe all around from what I see so far. :lol:

Does Mayer have a moustache?  I was doing the dishes.

3 minutes ago, cineater said:

Does Mayer have a moustache?  I was doing the dishes.

He does have a dirty little 'stash! I thought is was just the way the shadow fell until you said that. :lol:

Extra Latin vibes on this Hell In A Bucket :headbang:

Masterpiece is one of the songs that I remember really getting me to notice that something was up here, something special with the Dead. I know its a Dylan cover, but Dead do it best, just as Dylan said of Jerry. Masterpieces cynical take on our optimism is perfect Dead, imho. But then Bobby adds in that "Yes it will" ad-lib that makes it more like it affirms optimism.

Im loving lots of Bobby lead vocals!

Edited by soon

10 minutes ago, cineater said:

Just got texted something showing Axl's house listed as a church?  Hell Rose Place.  Something on facebook.  WTF?

You know I love Cassidy.

I love Cassidy too! And this take is juicy! "Fare thee well. Let your life proceed by your own design. Let the words be yours I am done with mine." Perfection :drool:

Also, sometimes I feel Like Im Bobby riding along, up front with Neal Cassidy on the Further bus. haha. Bobby did that apparently. Dead net says its about another person named Cassidy as well. About them both. (its about whatever it means to any of us, of course!)

Thats something about Axls abode being a church! Huh, what do you make of that? 

Edited by soon