Gardening

Gracii Guns

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

yeah but it takes decades to get that big, I'll've long fallen off the perch by the time it fuckin' collapses and takes out half the street :lol:

Y’know what’s really nice in a garden? Have you ever heard of Japanese Knot Weed? It’s proper pretty. You should get some. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Y’know what’s really nice in a garden? Have you ever heard of Japanese Knot Weed? It’s proper pretty. You should get some. :lol: 

Yeah, tell me about it, manys the time I've had to attend a property survey to appraise that fuckin' shit.

17 hours ago, soon said:

I was leaving the garden when a cyclist almost ran into me due to their feelings of entitlement to the sidewalk. And since I walk with a cane, they said "move it, f@gg0t" They meant this as in "weak." Which is disablist.

For no other reason than lockdown boredom and wanting to get a laugh from the garden shorties, I decided to chase him!!! :lol:

I guess he didnt notice and it was too loud and busy out for him to hear me. And there was a stop light right away. I had no idea Id f'n catch him!! So what now??!?!?!

I think I looked more shocked and terrified then he did, when I swung my cane at his tire. :lol: Kinda a panic move on my part - figured I had to do something! :lol:

Same sorta thing happened to me the other day. Actually happens quite often, but I usually ignore it or shout a quick 'fuck you' and be on my way again.

But the other day I was in a bad mood. I was driving my bike and there were two other cyclists coming from the other direction on the same bike path, and for some reason I  knew that they would scream something at me while passing by. Sometimes you just know something like that will happen, right?

And lo and behold, one of them screamed something really loud, to try and scare me, I guess. This time I thought... fuck it, I don't have to take this, so I turned around and chased them. I caught up with them, they got off their bikes and then I realized that they were just stupid teenagers, couldn't have been older than 17.

So I thought, what now? I'm not going to be the adult who beats up a teenager, not that I was planning on doing that anyway. I hate violence, I didn't even know what my plan was, I guess I just wanted to confront them. 

So I decided to act like a real adult and ask him why he would do that. I could tell he was afraid, he was like....''oh s-s-sorry, sir, I just wanted to say hi, I didn't mean to scare you''... I said...''oh really, you think it's normal to scream at someone like THIS (I screamed it in his face) from so close by'', so he started again...''I'm sorry if I scared you, sir, I just wanted to say hi''. 

I thought, what now? He's obviously bullshitting, should I tell him he's full of shit, or play along? So I said... ''ok, boy, apology accepted, next time think twice before you do this, alright, now run along and have a good day''. And then they took off. I was kinda hoping that they would insult me while while driving away so I could chase him again and really smack him.

I hope next time he really does think twice before screaming at a stranger for no good reason. If that's what I accomplished by chasing and confronting him, I think I did something right.

Oh, also, I like gardening too.

• Like 1

You were kind of condescending towards the kid.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Same sorta thing happened to me the other day. Actually happens quite often, but I usually ignore it or shout a quick 'fuck you' and be on my way again.

But the other day I was in a bad mood. I was driving my bike and there were two other cyclists coming from the other direction on the same bike path, and for some reason I  knew that they would scream something at me while passing by. Sometimes you just know something like that will happen, right?

And lo and behold, one of them screamed something really loud, to try and scare me, I guess. This time I thought... fuck it, I don't have to take this, so I turned around and chased them. I caught up with them, they got off their bikes and then I realized that they were just stupid teenagers, couldn't have been older than 17.

So I thought, what now? I'm not going to be the adult who beats up a teenager, not that I was planning on doing that anyway. I hate violence, I didn't even know what my plan was, I guess I just wanted to confront them. 

So I decided to act like a real adult and ask him why he would do that. I could tell he was afraid, he was like....''oh s-s-sorry, sir, I just wanted to say hi, I didn't mean to scare you''... I said...''oh really, you think it's normal to scream at someone like THIS (I screamed it in his face) from so close by'', so he started again...''I'm sorry if I scared you, sir, I just wanted to say hi''. 

I thought, what now? He's obviously bullshitting, should I tell him he's full of shit, or play along? So I said... ''ok, boy, apology accepted, next time think twice before you do this, alright, now run along and have a good day''. And then they took off. I was kinda hoping that they would insult me while while driving away so I could chase him again and really smack him.

I hope next time he really does think twice before screaming at a stranger for no good reason. If that's what I accomplished by chasing and confronting him, I think I did something right.

You were pretty condescending towards that kid calling him boy.  And you chased him down.  How does that not lead to a confrontation?  Had no idea bike riding had these kind of things going on.  Where do you folks live that people just ride by and shout insults to you?  We just wave at each other.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

yeah but it takes decades to get that big, I'll've long fallen off the perch by the time it fuckin' collapses and takes out half the street :lol:

Those are the giant ones and they only grow in very specific environments.  Unlikely you have one of those.  You probably have one for your area if you bought it at a nursery.  

17 hours ago, cineater said:

Didn't know they allowed bikes on the sidewalk.  No helmet?  He's reckless, ie accident waiting to happen.  Glad it didn't involve you.

New rules are out.  50 people on campus at one time but you have to wear masks all the time.  Gets me out of scheduling people.

Carpets are cleaned.  Done with spring house cleaning.  Just have to fill in the groundhog's home and the garden is good.

They’re not allowed on the sidewalk. Some people do anyways. But near the park - well I mean like 1000 yards away there is a bike path. So these f’n athletes feel like it’s a short cut to get onto the sidewalk to save them that 4ft when they turn onto the path! Lol ridiculous!! Cyclists are hilarious here!!

Thanks, yeah, on of them could really hurt me one day.

Yay no more scheduling :headbang:What if people don’t wear masks?

Sounds great to have the carpets and everything done. Was Mike and co let down that you opted to go with a different cleaner?? Lol

i need to save my garden today!!

5 minutes ago, cineater said:

You were pretty condescending towards that kid calling him boy.  And you chased him down.  How does that not lead to a confrontation?  Had no idea bike riding had these kind of things going on.  Where do you folks live that people just ride by and shout insults to you?  We just wave at each other.

Bike people tend to have a bit of an attitude problem cuz they’re traumatised by getting clipped by careless drivers half their lives.

1 minute ago, cineater said:

Those are the giant ones and they only grow in very specific environments.  Unlikely you have one of those.  You probably have one for your area if you bought it at a nursery.  

Awww crap, i wanted a big one :(  Bad news about the tree too *sigh*

20 minutes ago, cineater said:

You were pretty condescending towards that kid calling him boy.  And you chased him down.  How does that not lead to a confrontation? 

Here it is not considered ''condescending'', but even if it was, he deserved it because he was acting like a punk. And old enough to know better. He was lucky I didn't smack him. I could have easily fallen off my bike or getting hit by a car because of his little prank. I don't understand how I'm the bad guy for calling him out on it. More people should do that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dazey said:

So here they are. As you can see one of them is looking a little off colour. :lol: 

ER5JHTX.jpg 

0qAIDvn.jpg 

Okay. Ones looking really good! :headbang:I should say - tomatoes are one of the most disease prone veggies that we grow. They are finicky about almost every environmental aspect too. So we all get issues with them.

It looks possible that sickie has yellow blight. As a precaution I would suggest moving it away from the other.

They both need bigger pots, so possibly one is just succumbing to that first. Do you have larger pots ready to go? Your healthy guy is just kinda sorta starting to look a bit leggy and this means he’d really like to get “up potted.”

Pots - I don’t know what varietal they are? But it’s likely the case that they will eventually need much larger pots. With tomatoes we especially want a large root system. Think of root-building as your main job at this stage of the plants life.

Usually tomatoes get ‘up potted’  to a larger and larger pot a number of times. This allows the roots to fill in the space, before being given a larger space to grow into. (You might know this, sorry if that’s the case!)

Indoors with cannabis, which is incredibly similar to grow, we typically see 3 transplants to larger pots. 

the container I finished my indoor tomato grows in comes up to my knee and is 15 inches in diameter. (!!!) I grew Money Maker which is a shorter but burly type.

Soil - that is a great looking potting mix. I’m not sure if you had just watered before the pic? Or if that mix retains moisture incredibly well?

The potential issue is that tomatoes don’t like “wet feet.” So the ideal potting mix for other plants might not do as well for tomatoes.

I let mine completely dry out before watering the growing seedlings in pots. This serves 2 main functions - it helps avoid disease, and it also encourages the roots to grow as they seek out new moisture.

Yellow Blight - if that is yellow blight, it’s usually caused by excessive moisture. Often when the leaves themselves get wet. But with that moist soil in the window, I imagine there is humidity on the leaves all day. I’d suggest a fan.

if you want to try and save him and agree it could be yellow blight, you just need to cut off all the yellow/brown leaves. Then see to moisture issues. I save some plants from yellow blight every year that I grow tomatoes.

these things are all just a standard part of growing tomatoes. But we all still grow them because it’s worth it! And this will be worth it too!! :headbang: 

Theres organic root growth products available to you if you decide they could use a hand in that department (I use crushed eggshells as calcium is a root growth booster. Also improves the final flavour)

Howd I do, @cineater

13 minutes ago, soon said:

Okay. Ones looking really good! :headbang:I should say - tomatoes are one of the most disease prone veggies that we grow. They are finicky about almost every environmental aspect too. So we all get issues with them.

It looks possible that sickie has yellow blight. As a precaution I would suggest moving it away from the other.

They both need bigger pots, so possibly one is just succumbing to that first. Do you have larger pots ready to go? Your healthy guy is just kinda sorta starting to look a bit leggy and this means he’d really like to get “up potted.”

Pots - I don’t know what varietal they are? But it’s likely the case that they will eventually need much larger pots. With tomatoes we especially want a large root system. Think of root-building as your main job at this stage of the plants life.

Usually tomatoes get ‘up potted’  to a larger and larger pot a number of times. This allows the roots to fill in the space, before being given a larger space to grow into. (You might know this, sorry if that’s the case!)

Indoors with cannabis, which is incredibly similar to grow, we typically see 3 transplants to larger pots. 

the container I finished my indoor tomato grows in comes up to my knee and is 15 inches in diameter. (!!!) I grew Money Maker which is a shorter but burly type.

Soil - that is a great looking potting mix. I’m not sure if you had just watered before the pic? Or if that mix retains moisture incredibly well?

The potential issue is that tomatoes don’t like “wet feet.” So the ideal potting mix for other plants might not do as well for tomatoes.

I let mine completely dry out before watering the growing seedlings in pots. This serves 2 main functions - it helps avoid disease, and it also encourages the roots to grow as they seek out new moisture.

Yellow Blight - if that is yellow blight, it’s usually caused by excessive moisture. Often when the leaves themselves get wet. But with that moist soil in the window, I imagine there is humidity on the leaves all day. I’d suggest a fan.

if you want to try and save him and agree it could be yellow blight, you just need to cut off all the yellow/brown leaves. Then see to moisture issues. I save some plants from yellow blight every year that I grow tomatoes.

these things are all just a standard part of growing tomatoes. But we all still grow them because it’s worth it! And this will be worth it too!! :headbang: 

Theres organic root growth products available to you if you decide they could use a hand in that department (I use crushed eggshells as calcium is a root growth booster. Also improves the final flavour)

Howd I do, @cineater

I don't have a bigger pot ready but I do have a nice big red metal bucket. I might sacrifice the sick guy and steal his soil. Can you get yellow blight from sharing soil? Like some kind of plant based STD. :lol: 

26 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I don't have a bigger pot ready but I do have a nice big red metal bucket. I might sacrifice the sick guy and steal his soil. Can you get yellow blight from sharing soil? Like some kind of plant based STD. :lol: 

Good question and I don’t know the answer. 

Make sure to drill lots of drainage into the bottom of that bucket! Also, make sure to put a fan on it.

42 minutes ago, soon said:

Howd I do, @cineater

You're doing great.  I would say if you're growing tomatoes indoors go with the little cherry size.  I have no idea how the flowers will get pollinated unless he does it by hand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one chasing down errant cyclists! :lol: And am in fact in good company!

That feeling of dread when you catch them, tho!! Lol I musta had a face like a smacked ham. Lol

you came up with a better idea then I did once you caught them. :lol: You prolly gave a life lesson, whereas I prolly made him even more homophobic.

• GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, cineater said:

You're doing great.  I would say if you're growing tomatoes indoors go with the little cherry size.  I have no idea how the flowers will get pollinated unless he does it by hand.

Yeah, some say that a strong fan is enough. But iirc tomatoes aren’t wind pollenated in nature? I used a q tip to hand pollinate.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Here it is not considered ''condescending'', but even if it was, he deserved it because he was acting like a punk. And old enough to know better. He was lucky I didn't smack him. I could have easily fallen off my bike or getting hit by a car because of his little prank. I don't understand how I'm the bad guy for calling him out on it. More people should do that.

Yeah some days it's just easier to beat the fuck out of them.  But we all know that doesn't work and we feel bad afterwards for losing our shit.

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah, thanks man, any advice is appreciated cuz I dunno what the fuck I'm doing :lol:  He's got like a professionally manicured lawn and all kindsa fuckin' flowers and a little woodlands bit round the back, tiny really compared to what he had before, its houses a little shed with all his tools and shit and also to stack logs for the winter when he can get the fireplace going.  plenty of room though.

Sounds fucking baller!

And a great home for a mighty sequoia :headbang:

If you didn’t know gardening before you will after caring for his! This is cool, I’m pumped for this!

And when it gets huge, I think those are the trees they sometimes cut roads through them, but the trees still survive? In that case you can cut out a bunch of tiny homes, for the tiny house movement. It will be a vertical tiny house community with a bike garage on the ground floor. You’re already on the biz, right? Greta would live in a tiny house tree condo!

Edited by soon

2 hours ago, soon said:

Hand pollenating in a garden last year was a heartbreaking experience. 

Plant pimp. :lol:

I asked them to "educate" us on why it is necessary to wear a mask when outdoors and able to social distance.  I'm not looking to change their rule but I think you get more compliance when people understand the reasoning behind it.  And if it is best practice at the garden people need to know so they can apply it to their life.  This the second time I've asked.  No answer the first time and nothing from them yet. 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

How the fuck do you hand pollinate? :lol: 

Plant porn for you. :lol:  Don't be surprised if you have more weeds start showing up at your house.  Low lives!

2 minutes ago, cineater said:

They are regrading my daughter's yard on Friday.  We have excessive heat warnings coming up.  Absolutely the worst time to be laying out sod.  There's no rain in sight over the next 10 days.

They dont consult you? Brats!! Why wouldn't they - they have a Master Gardener and they just piss it away?

Btw, I love the the MIgardener youtube channel, that you posted that video from! :headbang:

I once watched another video on hand pollenating tomatoes and the dude said "I use one of my wife's tools." Took me a minute to catch on to what he meant. :lol::smiley-confused2: